You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

Hello all,

My name is Alexandre, I am photographer, illustrator and graphic designer in France (my apologies for my rusty english).

I am fed up with Adobe's solutions but today, it is not a problem anymore (guess why). I work on Mac and PC.

So, let's get started :)

Hi my name is Gareth and I am a motion graphic designer.

Just got Affinity Photo as my replacement for Photoshop and loving it so far.

I come from the Amiga days of design and animation, so I love to see new thinking and inventiveness in my tools.

So small, question, when are we getting a replacement for After Effects Affinity team?

...end of line

www.slowlymakingsmoke.com

Hi I am new to the board and I just wanted to introduce myself. Maybe you can all introduce yourself back so we can kind of get to know each other?

I am Adam. I am 25 years old. Loving the photography. A picture is worth a thousand words. I found great stuff here.

So, I have decideto join this forum. I am very glad to became a member of this forum. I hope my stay on this forum reall good and according to my expections.

Hi my name is Gareth and I am a motion graphic designer.

I come from the Amiga days of design and animation, so I love to see new thinking and inventiveness in my tools.

Hi, fellow Amiga-naut. May the guru be with you. Started w. Deluxe Paint, but soon concentrated on 3D via Turbo Silver.

I'm using Affinity Designer, may get to Photo. Most fun I've had in 30 some years. Its sweet software.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

C3PO translates all the following into simply: "Greetings to those on Planet Serif"...

Old Codger Alert:

Hello. I am a veteran of Page+, Photo+, Draw+, Web+ and almost ever other design software which Serif has produced (does anyone recall their stand-alone logo designer?) Their first software discs were floppies. I even remember Serif's own tiger logo from early versions of Page+. Therefore, I am a tad alarmed to realise that Nottingham's Serif has seen the need to begin again - with a new cross-platform engine. If I include the memory that I graduated in that fair city five years before Serif was born (1982 v 1987), it all makes me think I might need similar re-engineering. 

OK, back to the 21st Century...

I design less now but photograph and manipulate photographs much more. I extensively use ACDSee (v Ultimate 10 now) and have subscriptions to Adobe's Lightroom and Photoshop. I think all excellent and have been wedded to ACDSee for a long time - and shall continue using that. However - and here's my question - do I need to maintain my expensive subscription to Lightroom/Photoshop? My natural software home is Serif products and, if they have made their "boot-arse" equivalent of the Adobe's "kick-ass" programmes, then I shall joyfully switch back to Serif. So, are there any Lightroom/Photoshop converts to Affinity out there? Or maybe you use all three and can comment? From what I read in the media, it does seem as if Serif have really succeeded but I would like to hear from real users, please.

OK well I'd best be taking my pills, fitting my truss, grabbing a few walking sticks and revving-up my mobility car. Or... maybe I'll just visit my GP for some re-engineering... from even lower than the bottom-up!

Be Seeing you - and may the farce be with you. MBF.

All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances, And one man in his time plays many parts...

- Jaques's speech from William Shakespeare's "As You Like It" (Act II; Scene VII)

TJ McCormick. I have used Affinity since 2015, for a variety of web, business card, and meme creations. I have used the Adobe suite since the late 80s, and decided not to get on the subscription treadmill. Affinity does a lot of the things I need, and with the UI download, it will help me create awesome websites for www.bt-video.com and www.seawindfilms.com, my two business endeavors. For the price, I think it's one of the best investments a graphic designer can make, and I look forward to purchasing it for my PC, since I have used the Mac version all along, and I am moving away from MacOS.  ;)

Congrats to Matt Priestley, Andy Tang, and Tony Brightman. I know a teensy bit about bit planes and color planes and all the other registers in what used to be video cards, the EGA cards with the infamous "overflow register" and write-only set. I gave up at that write-only point, my hobby came to screeching halt. I sadly never even learned how to put a pixel on a screen. Have not gone back in to look at anything beyond the 8086, but looking at results in your program, just clicking UI buttons, I find myself saying things like "Perfect! Astounding .... Fantastic! Just spectacular!"

Just if anyone feels like answering a probably pretty dumb question, in making pixel differentiation, you use an algorithm (or set of them) that sets +/- number boundaries for the register content (e.g. gray within 16 bits +/- [edit: I mean, 16 bits as in hex F]), and then averages those across registers to make a differentiation? I'm just curious, because at times using the selection tool I notice a cloud background selected (big jump selection) along with a green leaf that has a green-tinged spot of reflected light, and wonder if that happens because the grey and intensity (or other non-color) registers carry more weight in the algorithm than the color. Not complaining - I've doped out how to decrease the brush size and/or deselect the cloud area to get it to snap to the leaf edge (and use a bit of blur).

Thanks for your program, btw. The interface is just right for my tastes, very unobtrusive, and the function is amazing.

Hi. I'm Rob. Getting back into "hobby" photography after a 10 year sojourn pointing and clicking with phones etc. Previously I was a film SLR user. Steep learning curve! Now photography is digital it seems much can be achieved with post processing. I really don't like the idea of a subscription model so am wary of Adobe. Serif Affinity Photo seems like a good possibility, and I like to support local industry where possible. (I'm from Nottingham). So I had a free trial, purchased and have been watching tutorial videos and having a go. It seems to have lots of high end features. I may need to upgrade my (Windows) hardware. I think I also want a DAM-type product to help in viewing, selecting, storing and cataloguing "keepers". Looks like that needs to be a separate product. Looking forward to getting to grips with Affinity Photo, not as an end in itself but to improve my renditions.

Hi, I'm Tony

Spent 30 years in the printing pre-press and graphic arts trade. Using all sorts of stuff like Photoshop (started with version 3) and loads of plugins over the years. Retired now but like to keep my hand in.

I am very impressed with Affinity Photo although the lack of decent documentation is (or was) a big minus. It was initially very difficult to migrate from Photoshop because I was admittedly a bit stuck in my ways and Affinity does thing differently or calls things by different names making the help file search option useless.

Having to spend hours watching videos or looking for non-existent help in the help files is such a waste of time. I watched just about every video, read through the help files but still only learned a fraction of what I could easily do in Photoshop. I then spent hours going through the menus and basically just playing until I figured most of it out. I could not have, and would not have done that in a professional environment. Time is money!

Funny thing is, Affinity Photo does many things so much better, but you have to look really hard for the necessary techniques or approach things in different ways.

I hope Affinity Photo is a success. It had an incredible range of features without suffering the Adobe bloat, or the Adobe cost.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

My name is António Marques. 

I run a small PR company (AEMpress) and I was looking a for some good "Photoshop-Like" tools. A photographer friend told me last year about the Affinity software (I know Serif from the DTP era...) and the timing was spot on: I immediately purchased Designer and, a couple of weeks later, Photo (both for Windows).

The designer I hired came from an Adobe background, so to speak, but felt comfortable right away with both tools and has been extremely productive ever since.

I’m *very* happy with the software and its tremendous feature/quality/price ratio.

Keep up the good work.

Greetings from Portugal,

António

Hello, I'm Tony Dawes and I've been using Serif products on Windows for years. Mainly Photo Plus, Page Plus and occasionally Web Plus. I also have Movie Plus but that hasn't been updated in years, and Draw Plus which I rarely use. Just installed Affinity Photo and it looks good enough to cancel my Photoshop CC subscription.

Hello, I'm Tony Dawes and I've been using Serif products on Windows for years. Mainly Photo Plus, Page Plus and occasionally Web Plus. I also have Movie Plus but that hasn't been updated in years, and Draw Plus which I rarely use. Just installed Affinity Photo and it looks good enough to cancel my Photoshop CC subscription.

Welcome aboard, Tony. It sounds like you are quite the Serif user. I bet it won't take long for you to get use to the ropes of Affinity.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Hi. I'm Manuelinux. I live in northern Germany, which is not tooo good for nature fotography, but still... i always try to get the right light. I'm an affinity fan from the very beginning and I'm still suffering waiting for the ipad version. Another thing I would really like to get soon is a better mediamanager. The one available now is not confortable enough to kick out lightroom or worse ... nikon Viewnx-i. That's my goal!! Keep up the great job! Ilove this app.. and I also got affiniy designer just to support U. I am never ever gonna b a good designer ;) but I managed to make my own simple logo. thx for everything.

Hello. My name is Teran Mitchell and I am a practicing architect in Virginia, USA. I, too, have been looking for viable alternatives to the Adobe subscription services. I just stumbled upon Affinity Photo today and like what I have seen and read. My transition away from the exorbitant prices of Adobe will be complete when Serif Publisher is released.

Thank you, Serif, for providing a solid product at a reasonable price!

Hello Everyone,

My name is Julio I live in Bronx, NY.

I'm new to photography funny because I've always thought I did not like it and now I'm starting to love it.

I have always been attracted to cameras ever since I was small. I remember passing by electronic store and I would stare at 35mm cameras with the big lens and flash attach to them for years. One time I had a fuji digital camera in 2005 that I was using it like it was a DSLR camera moving my hand making believe it had a zoom lens. Before I bought my camera last year I remember visiting a pawnshop while waiting I went straight to the cameras to stare at them. When I decided to purchase my T6i last year I learned the triangle in less than a week when I got my camera the week after I was using it in M, Av, Tv. I've taken about 750 practice shots out of that maybe less than 10 pictures have been in auto mode.

I joined the forum because I plan on purchasing affinity soon it looks like a great program and the best part for me is the price and no monthly subscription.

Sup people. Name is Mike. I'm an environment artist with a focus in increasing my skills and expanding my tools. Came across Affinity Photo and was impressed with how much of my work flow ported over from Photoshop. In fact, I have yet to find something I can not do. I'll be around here and there asking questions and learning more about the app. Posting my art as well. 

Thanks for any future advice and help. I will also contribute what I can. 

B)

Hello Everyone. My name is Jarek and I'm from Poland. Untill today I used trial version Affinity Photo. I've just bought AP in promotion for 39,99$ :). I'm learning to use this program and I like it. I hope to be quite good in using AP.

PS. Sorry for my English.

Hello Everyone. My name is Jarek and I'm from Poland. Untill today I used trial version Affinity Photo. I've just bought AP in promotion for 39,99$ :). I'm learning to use this program and I like it. I hope to be quite good in using AP.

PS. Sorry for my English.

Welcome Jarek and all those who have recently joined. (That includes me).

I love the way in which you apologise for your English - by using perfectly good English, when most native English speakers - certainly including me - are utterly useless at any other language. Even useless at English sometimes!

Hope you like it here.

All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrances, And one man in his time plays many parts...

- Jaques's speech from William Shakespeare's "As You Like It" (Act II; Scene VII)