You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

Hi

My name is Nikolai Ylirotu. Living in Riihimäki, Finland. And working in a company called Sarvikuono Design. Rhino Design in english. Have used Affinity Family since it was published. Very pleased to the price and quality ratio. Also I love this community around the products.

I used Adobes products since 1991. But I fed up this monhtly paying, also these products were so full of gizmos and I just wanted something simpler, more straightforward. From that you can quess that there is almost nothing to miss from Adobe. Even now when I got finnish hyphenation to Publisher.

What I do? Books, logos, PDFs, coat of arms. Also website design, photo editing. With vectors and with pixels, and now, quite often, blending those techniques.

Hi my name is Mark I am an older retired dude in my 60's. I come from keeping up with all the Adobe products starting with plain ol version 5 (20 plus years ago?) up to the latest Creative Cloud updates. Never been more than a hobbyist though. Doing things for friends and family and freebee things for my old customers (I was in the copier/printer business for 40+ years). Recently I started designing sticker packs with my grand kids and grand nieces and nephews just for fun.

On 11/8/2022 at 2:16 AM, nikolai.ylirotu said:

Hi

My name is Nikolai Ylirotu. Living in Riihimäki, Finland. And working in a company called Sarvikuono Design. Rhino Design in english. Have used Affinity Family since it was published. Very pleased to the price and quality ratio. Also I love this community around the products.

I used Adobes products since 1991. But I fed up this monhtly paying, also these products were so full of gizmos and I just wanted something simpler, more straightforward. From that you can quess that there is almost nothing to miss from Adobe. Even now when I got finnish hyphenation to Publisher.

What I do? Books, logos, PDFs, coat of arms. Also website design, photo editing. With vectors and with pixels, and now, quite often, blending those techniques.

Welcome Nikolai to the Forum!

Hola

I am a very experienced professional creative who primarily uses Apple hardware for my work. However, I use both Apple and Windows for professional work at my relatively large workplace, and here Adobe Creative Suite for almost all tasks, but I often prefer other products in my workflow. The happier I am working in a product, the more creative I am and the better products I create for the end product. Here I am really happy to create and experiment easily and quickly in Designer, which I work very naturally in early in workflows, and it has been exhausting waiting for real features, but now perspective/warp has arrived and I am mostly waiting for blend and mesh gradient.

I also really like Publisher, but am waiting for cross references and accessibility support for PDF, among other things, before it can be used in workflow for professional end products. I hope it comes soon.

Now that version 2 is official I look forward to seeing what developments follow.

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

Hi, I paint and draw digitally with a shaky hand and a poor eye for perspective. I also take out-of-focus and poorly composed pictures and then edit them badly. I like to mix the two, mostly because it somewhat hides my technical deficiencies or makes them look deliberate and sometimes people will compliment me on the shoddy result just because it looks different.

I work with digital stuff.

Hello.

My name is Piotr. I've been using Affinity Photo since 2018, and Designer and Publisher since 2021. Initially as freelancer. Due to my recomendation, the company where I now work purchased a license for the whole Affinity suite. I have been reading forum for some time, now is the time to say hello.

Hi! :) 
I'm a musician. I use Affinity Designer in order to transcribe music. I'm used to drawing notes with pen and paper, and I dislike modern notation software which usually requires key commands. I don't need those cheap midi sounds when I can imagine music in my head in a much better way. All I need to achieve my goals is a guitar or a piano, an empty sheet, and a pen.  Furthermore, I like playing competitive video games and I'm obsessed with keeping the input latency as low as possible.

I would like to brake a lance for Serif. This rather small company has done a great job. I am a retired software QM (aerospace), but without knowing the Serif team I would say "Brothers in Arms".

I have been following the discussion about V2 since spring but have not commented. It was commented on by others only to comment, but hardly take a position on the matter itself.

V2 still has some flaws, but also some highlights. The tutorials also appeared with the release, great work.

There are people who complain about the price of V2, but buy an IPhone only to look into their bank account and see how badly it is overdrawn.

The price is ok and I buy V2, as support and appreciation of their work, although V1 is sufficient for me.

From my point of view the new installer is ok. But people like to stay in their easy chairs and avoid any changes. These people will hopefully be appeased with the announcement that msi is coming.

However, it would be great to have all the work arounds (bat-file, icons on desktop, etc.) in one place. I don't want to dig into Windows anymore to solve the problems myself, for example to launch Photo from another application. I could, but prefer taking photos and making photo books (my easy chair).😊

Norbert

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the Affinity forum. I just purchased Affinity photo yesterday after trying it for 5 days. I'm impressed that the program worked on my old (2017) PC laptop. I've been spending a lot of time this week watching all the available tutorials on this product. I made this image after watching one of the videos. 

image.thumb.jpeg.1917f098f84ca6ef392954cb9acf2d5b.jpeg

On 11/17/2022 at 8:42 AM, pcam said:

I would like to brake a lance for Serif. This rather small company has done a great job. I am a retired software QM (aerospace), but without knowing the Serif team I would say "Brothers in Arms".

I have been following the discussion about V2 since spring but have not commented. It was commented on by others only to comment, but hardly take a position on the matter itself.

V2 still has some flaws, but also some highlights. The tutorials also appeared with the release, great work.

There are people who complain about the price of V2, but buy an IPhone only to look into their bank account and see how badly it is overdrawn.

The price is ok and I buy V2, as support and appreciation of their work, although V1 is sufficient for me.

From my point of view the new installer is ok. But people like to stay in their easy chairs and avoid any changes. These people will hopefully be appeased with the announcement that msi is coming.

However, it would be great to have all the work arounds (bat-file, icons on desktop, etc.) in one place. I don't want to dig into Windows anymore to solve the problems myself, for example to launch Photo from another application. I could, but prefer taking photos and making photo books (my easy chair).😊

Norbert

I agree with Norbert;

As it happens I too am a retired Software Engineer having worked in Aerospace and then Medical technology industries for over three decades and I know the level of work and dedication  involved in delivering a major project, given the small team I think the Affinity have done exceptionally well.

I don't really need V2 having had V1 (photo) since 2015 and I picked up the other two apps as they came out. In all that time I have enjoyed free upgrades and a very open development team. I value the team, what they are about and their dedication, knowing the complexities of the kind of development involved first hand I'm impressed and want them to succeed. So when V2 arrived I got the universal license out of support for serif.

Of course there are bugs and issues for such a major re-write of the code base and I'm okay with that; I know they will do what is required. As for paid updates I can name a few software companies that will charge for updates every 6 months, I get pestering emails asking me to buy apparently the next shiny thing having purchased a version just a few months previous, so Serif get a massive thumbs up from me.

By all means report bugs and ask for features and timelines for fixes but for goodness sake peeps take it easy on the entitlement; kindness doesn't cost anything. 

Reggie

Please don't mistake my opinion for expert comment :) for no way no how am I an expert on anything. However I am curious and willing to learn. 

Affinity Photo (latest I promise)

Affinity Photo Beta (I have a lot of time on my hands)

Affinity Designer (Also the latest; promise)

Affinity Designer Beta (Because I like new things)

I need to get out more - Yes :)

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone I am new to Affinity software and purchased it about a month ago after a very brief trial and it is a better upgrade for me than the limited CorelDraw H & S v7.

I was made aware of the Affinity Suite from another Windows forum I frequent as it was highly praised by the owner and other members who are experts in photography or Graphics software.

I am also grateful to the members who create Tutorials as I have very basic skills using graphics software and the Tutorials are a great tool for beginners.

I didn't say Hi.
Just posted two problems with Designer and Photo (Typical first iterations in forums) but hey! It's time to say hi to everybody.
I'm a graphic, UI and 3D designer, and I'm really happy with the way Affinity do things. I supported them, buying the V1 of the 3 software products and just in the launch I bought the V2 in a second.

Hi everyone

Just a quick hello.

I've been using Affinity since it came out and I before that I've used all the Serif packages since 2003 I think. I really like Serif.

I've taught myself graphic design, before that I'd always used Powerpoint. And before that I used an old version of Corel Draw, which I did like at the time.

And I've bought the latest trio of Affinity V2.

Hi, my name is Declan Green, I am from the North of Ireland. I am new to Serif products and have started off in the last week with Affinity 2 for my laptop and just in the last 2 days with the iPad versions. I am not a graphic designer or anything. I basically want to use Designer 2 to send files for sublimation printing to my RICHO printer. I was delighted to see an iPad version of Designer 2 available and have started to use it. Creating files on my iPad and loading them from my laptop via OneDrive. Well that's the plan. Just ran into a snag initially where my iPad Designer 2 crashes, but I hope there will be a fix for this. 

4 hours ago, DeckerZ said:

my iPad Designer 2 crashes, but I hope there will be a fix for this

Hello @DeckerZ,

Welcome to the forum.

Can you describe the steps you take that lead to the crash and report it here:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/75-designer-2-bugs-found-on-ipad/

This will be very helpful to the developers to identify the cause of the crash and hopefully fix it.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4