You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

Hi,

I am fairly new to Affinity Photo having used Adobe and Capture One in the past. I am gradually learning how Affinity Photo works on PC (I also have it on iPad, but I think I need to get to grips on PC then work out how to apply my techniques using iPad). I mainly shoot for black and white, so I am learning techniques around that but also general masking etc. to create differently processed layers that I can then blend. 

I'm hoping to ditch Capture One entirely in favour of Affinity Photo (and currently Adobe Bridge to provide file browsing, but I would like to use Excire Photo for that instead as it provides more search capabilities across my photographs).

Andy

Hi also new to this but I have a canon R5.  I will only do the basic edits in this tool as I use a paintbrush and pencils for anything that is too far from reality. my work is at www.deepfat.co.uk and if you like it please support Alzheimer's society.  

2005030319_CapeTown-Safari-lion(2).thumb.JPG.9f703c9f077acab520ad5a516a386bb1.JPG

and after a few hours with some watercolour pencils:

355361927_LionHD.thumb.JPG.09e38a34cffd1eb342e571dff090d0c6.JPG

To pay for this I work for Microsoft in Reading and our photo club are huge affinity fans

Welcome to the forums, @deepfat!  Please do post your work in the Share Your Work section of these forums.  Your lion is beautiful!  Elegant website too!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

@jmwellborn I could but that shot is straight off the camera  with a bit of cropping etc. so it's not my work in affinity- I don't normally do too much post processing as I am old school and try and preserve what I saw.

This is another shot with just a crop and yes crickets were harmed during this photo shoot in the new forest5D4_1951.thumb.JPG.1ed2daa0e7265e9690010791318dd8a1.JPG

Woweee!!! That's an amazing shot! Kind of gives a new meaning to the term, "tongue lashing", doesn't it?

😂😯

Also, the lion is equally amazing. Beautiful work!

Mac Studio, Monterey (latest version) / 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD Storage / Wacom Cintiq 24 Pro (latest drivers) / Affinity Photo & Designer v 1.10.5

https://glennsart.myportfolio.com

1 hour ago, PaoloT said:

I just now discovered that the Affinity Suite developers are all cats! That why I like these programs so much!

Paolo

Most of them, but there are two notable exceptions that I’m aware of:

image.jpeg.1da2b53fd3a7fa060e18ac4adb54f73f.jpeg
Mark Ingram

image.jpeg.4a3ece1eafadfa19d3b607347761950b.jpeg
AdamW

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

@Alfred  and Callum?  And DanC, whose dog has appeared in some tutorials?

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Hi. I am Daniel. I have bee retouching for 30+ years. Started on proprietary retouching workstations, Scitex, Crosfied, Dicomed and a few others. Like most... I migrated to Adobe Photoshop. I am just now considering trying your Photo App. Would like to learn it and perhaps your other apps as well. I have some questions and have come here to see if anyone can answer some before I dive off into the deep end.

Hi @DAYGraphicsand welcome to the forums.

You can test the desktop apps extensively for 10 days.

You will find that Affinity Photo can be used like Photoshop in many places. However, you will also miss things; and you will discover functions that are not available in Photoshop.

Photo trial: https://affinity.store/get/photo/trial/

Designer trial: https://affinity.store/get/designer/trial/

Publisher trial: https://affinity.store/get/publisher/trial/

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

On 9/1/2022 at 2:53 PM, jmwellborn said:

@Alfred  and Callum?  And DanC, whose dog has appeared in some tutorials?

I was referring specifically to developers, not QA or Tech Support staff, but in any case I’m not sure I would want to meet either of those ‘dogs’!

57071010_10213473392969394_3664425165908
Callum

blastoise.gif.f27cd05d8de549c3bc521cb239
Dan C

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hello. My real name is Alex om the online i go by Father.

I begin my work in the Graphics Designer industry around 8 months ago thank's to my ex job. Now my work orbits around freelance and some tiny projects for people around my city .

Been working with Adobe Suits for 9 months and now i want to try and embrace the Affinity beacuse is more pro for me.

I bought for now only the Designer and i will work my way to get the Photo. Until then i will make my way into the deepest afinity i could get and learn and masterize.

Thank's for Reading and i am UP for any tips and anything related to the affinity trinity programs.

29 minutes ago, Fatherr said:

Hello. My real name is Alex om the online i go by Father.

I begin my work in the Graphics Designer industry around 8 months ago thank's to my ex job. Now my work orbits around freelance and some tiny projects for people around my city .

Been working with Adobe Suits for 9 months and now i want to try and embrace the Affinity beacuse is more pro for me.

I bought for now only the Designer and i will work my way to get the Photo. Until then i will make my way into the deepest afinity i could get and learn and masterize.

Thank's for Reading and i am UP for any tips and anything related to the affinity trinity programs.

Hi Alex,

From one new-guy to another, welcome. If I might, I also have Designer and have been learning/working in it for about a month now. You might want to look into getting Photo sooner than later. I'm finding the two programs are very tightly integrated and switching between the two on a single project (even while in the middle of a project) is extremely easy and intuitive. From what I know about the "tightness" between Illustrator and Photoshop (I've used both), Affinity is well ahead in continuity between their programs. I'm now finding both tools together indispensable. BTW, I don't work for Affinity, I just thought my findings might be useful to you.

Good luck with your business 🙂.

Mac Studio, Monterey (latest version) / 32 GB RAM / 1 TB SSD Storage / Wacom Cintiq 24 Pro (latest drivers) / Affinity Photo & Designer v 1.10.5

https://glennsart.myportfolio.com

1 hour ago, Glennsart said:

Hi Alex,

From one new-guy to another, welcome. If I might, I also have Designer and have been learning/working in it for about a month now. You might want to look into getting Photo sooner than later. I'm finding the two programs are very tightly integrated and switching between the two on a single project (even while in the middle of a project) is extremely easy and intuitive. From what I know about the "tightness" between Illustrator and Photoshop (I've used both), Affinity is well ahead in continuity between their programs. I'm now finding both tools together indispensable. BTW, I don't work for Affinity, I just thought my findings might be useful to you.

Good luck with your business 🙂.

Thank's mate. I saw they work togheter very well. I will try to buy it but until then i will work on designer and learn it very carefully.

Hi I'm Phil from Atlanta. I'm just a hobbyist, I like to create posters, announcements, and occasional newsletters and such for a non-profit, and also just like to play with the programs. (am I the only one that does that?) I'm amazed at the fact that even with all of the features (and there are a ton of them) a dummy like me can still produce acceptable results. While on the other hand, design professionals and artists are able to produce really outstanding things with the programs. Congratulations to the Serif/Affinity design, marketing, and tutorial staff.

Len here, from Louisiana, USA. I'm now retired and have a bit more time to spend on hobbies and such. I just bought Photo about a week ago.

Long, long ago I earned a degree in Art / Graphic Design and did that for 16 years, making the transition from from technical pens and rulers to computers, mostly using CorelDRAW and various presentation software. I then took a hard turn into IT and soon became a Solaris / Linux / Windows admin for basically the rest of my career.

In the mid-2000s I bought my first DSLR and used mostly through Capture 1 and Paint Shop Pro. I bought my second DSLR two years ago (I don't buy much gear LOL) and now have a slightly different workflow: darktable / RawTherapee-ART then Affinity (which will largely replace GIMP). GIMP is a quality tool, but right now for me Photo is a better fit. Despite a preference for Linux, I'm currently on Windows and what attracted me to Photo was a non-subscription license at a good price, built-in focus stacking, pano stitching and -- maybe someday -- astro stacking. I've been a visual amateur astronomer for 35 years but maybe I'll eventually get that camera tracker out of the closet and use it. Photo on Linux would be phenomenal but, well....  🙂

Anyway, I hope to use Photo as part of my mostly landscape photography workflow. With its built-in tools it could also potentially replace Hugin / PanoTools, DeepSky Stacker and enfuse / enblend based tools (although I've heard it may actually use some of FOSS tools on the back end?).

Looking forward to learning and playing with Photo.

Len
Affinity Photo 2 | QCAD 3 | FastStone | SpyderX Pro | FOSS:  ART darktable  XnView  RawTherapee  Inkscape  G'MIC  LibreOffice
Windows 11 on a 16 GB, Ryzen 5700 8-core laptop with a cheesy little embedded AMD GPU

Canon T8i / 850D | Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM | Rikenon P 50mm f/1.7
...desperately looking for landscapes in Nolandscapeland        https://www.flickr.com/photos/14015058@N07/

Oh hello fine people! I've been around for a little while and realise I never introduced myself — how rude! haha 

I'm Miriam. I live and work in Cape Town, South Africa. I'm a surface pattern designer, illustrator, and graphic designer. I discovered the Affinity apps about 2 years ago now and I've never looked back! I have a rescue doglet called Josie, who monitors my working hours closer than a micromanager!

I just wanted to say hello! So, um, hello!!

Cheers,

Miriam.

> Let's connect: https://www.instagram.com/designermim/
> My site: https://designermim.com

Please see Dan C's reply to your other post.

I would suggest doing a Google search for an answer to your question.

(N.B. This thread is for new members of the forum to introduce themselves, not for questions!)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

• 2 weeks later...

hi all

ive been using serif for years,way back when windows xp was the thing,yeah that far back

what i am currently using is photo plus X4 on both my desktop & this laptop,,so when i get a update any more from windows it makes x4 act weird,weirder than usual

both machines are windows10 i use a wacom tablet with x4 ive not had any problems untill recently i have all kinds of ideas im going to work on 1 of my projects & x4 is not going to work anymore

ive seen latley where its been changed up a bit ,i really dont know what i need all i do is basically is draw & paint mess with photos a little maybe make a GIF or something like that

i dont do any of the publishing type stuff so yeah i guess i just basically draw with this stuff,any ideas on what i could use?

also would any of my 4x,some of the others before x4 work with this new software thats out now(talking about serif that is)

anything would be helpful

bmbjr

• 3 weeks later...

Hello I’m Gaylord. I’m retired and live in beautiful Vermont. I have had photo, designer, and publisher for a few years, but I have not achieved the skill level I want with any of them yet. Totally my fault, I suffer from executive short term memory loss. I logged in today to see if Publisher for iPad is available yet. I have written a lot over the years and I’d like to publish. Or at least prepare to publish. I have Publisher on my Mac. But sitting outside with my iPad would be nice.

Any update would be helpful.

I’m also working on a collaborative cartoon book using Larson cartoons as templates for ideas, re-captioning and reimagining them. Should be fun.

Thanks