You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

Hi, by my name you can see what platform I come from ,and Serif would know me as there are few of us. lol  More to the point I hear oh we should stick with MAc ...a MAc is a pc with closed source Linux so that covers both topics. Im just hoping it will be as easy as well Photoimpact as that reminds me of the superiror Image FX dam neat true 24bit and true 48bit graphics program..Yes we had several of those..I digress. We, dont need another pos adobe wannabbe. Glad you guys are going to make it standard across the board ,been saying that for years now. Jsut dont make it too expensive, %^)and  Oh yeah cant wait to test it out.

HI I'm Karlon I've been a photographer for over 10 years. I enjoy portraits and finding ways to tell stories with my pictures. I started photography because I wanted to give back to the people around me and help inspire anyone who see my work. I started using Affinity last year and I don't regret it one bit. Affinity is fast, reliable has a ton of features and become a constant in my workflow.

I'm Paul Söderholm (aka Gnurf) and I have been looking for a replacement for Xara Designer Pro since I switched to mac for about 5 years ago. On my previous Mac I used Virtualbox with Windows 7 only to run Xara Designer.

With my new Mac I don't want the hazzle with VM:s and Windows, and therefor went for Affinity Designer which looks really promising. With Xara Designer I created vector cartoon characters for stock sites like iStock and Shutterstock (one of my galleries here http://www.shutterstock.com/g/gnurf ).

I have been busy with other projects for a few years but now I feel it would be time to pick up vector illustrations again. So my main goal with Affinity Designer is to create vector cartoon illustrations.

Paul

-Paul

With Xara Designer I created vector cartoon characters for stock sites like iStock and Shutterstock (one of my galleries here http://www.shutterstock.com/g/gnurf).

Broken link. Try this one: http://www.shutterstock.com/g/gnurf

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hello, I'm Keith from Texas. I've been using PagePlus and DrawPlus for about three years on my desktop PC. I recently upgraded my laptop to a MacBook and bought Affinity Designer. I'll need to run PagePlus under Parallels until the Affinity product is available (Please, oh please, make Affinity Publisher able to open PagePlus documents!!) One of my other heavily used applications is TurboCAD which I use to draw system diagrams (electrical, plumbing, etc.) I'd like to use Designer to replace TurboCAD, but I'm not sure the snapping is sophisticated enough. I'm hopeful. I haven't purchased Affinity Photo yet, but I probably will. I've been using Photoshop CS2(!) forever.

I use these applications to create technical documentation for my own use. As a "hobbiest" user, I cannot justify the cost of the Adobe subscription model on an annual basis and really hate that I cannot continue to use the software if I end my subscription. I'm more than willing to purchase great applications and don't mind paying for upgrades either. So I am thrilled that Serif is working to capture a share of the Adobe market. I think you will do well! Let me know if I can be of help when you begin testing Affinity Publisher.

Hi I'm Paul, a keen photographer from the north east of England.  I used to be a big user of PagePlus (version 3!!) many years ago and have always been a fan of Serif products.  I'm excited about Affinity Photo, but will just have to wait until the Windows version is released - hopefully before long.  If it's only half as good as it seems it will be it'll be goodbye to Adobe!

(Please, oh please, make Affinity Publisher able to open PagePlus documents!!)

Serif have made it very clear that we won't be able to open PagePlus documents in Affinity Publisher, so we'll have to make do with publishing as PDF in order to get our PP docs into the new app.

Let me know if I can be of help when you begin testing Affinity Publisher.

The beta version of the program is due for release either late this year or early next.

I'm excited about Affinity Photo, but will just have to wait until the Windows version is released - hopefully before long.  If it's only half as good as it seems it will be it'll be goodbye to Adobe!

I'm another user who is looking forward to seeing the Windows version of Affinity Photo, but it won't be released until after the Windows version of Affinity Designer has come out.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 weeks later...

My name is Graham and I've been in IT for about 40 years and taking photos for about that long as well.. I just retired, and growing steadily more bored with MS (since the 8.3 days) I was thinking of getting a Mac. My first Apple had a simple model number. It was called 2. A few years back I guess that was eh? (Yup, Canadian.) Since then I've been using only PCs.

The thought of getting a Mac led to looking for Mac equivalents of the Corel packages. I discovered that Adobe no longer sold their versions (they only rent them now) and one of the posters on the Adobe forums suggested Affinity, so I jumped on board. It will be a few months until I have my Mac but as soon as Affinity has a Win-doze version, I'll be grabbing it.

Hi, I'm Tony Brightman. I head the SerifLabs team that have been developing the new Affinity range of applications. We have been deep in research for 4 years but it's now time to show the world.

TonyB

Hi Tony,

I'm sure that this concern I am about to raise with your company is going to be of great interest to the users of your products that have migrated from Photoshop.

I am one of many that have left Photoshop because of their treatment of their customers. I had been using Photoshop for many many years and loved the product and then they decided to start charging subscription fees to use the product. I am not in a photographic business and an ongoing fee is of no benefit to me (as a business tax deduction) and in fact imposes additional costs that I could not justify due to the periodic use of the product. I switched to Affinity and I am very happy.

Apple charge developers 30% to have their products on the App Store (scandalous)  but will now drop that to 15% if the developers will go to the 'subscription model'. This is a blatant money grab by Apple as they will now turn a 'one off' fee into an indefinite revenue stream. For people like me this will be a disaster - I am retired and do not want nor can I afford to keep paying for a product that gets occasional use.

I know that the likely response will be that Affinity has no plans to move to the subscription model but I doubt that we can rely on this being the case into the future. If this were to occur I would be forced to leave the product that I am becoming very happy with and that suits my financial situation.

I sincerely ask that for once a company stops and thinks before making a move in this direction and realise that it will eliminate many users overnight if commenced. Greed is taking over good business ethics.

For your comment please.....

Ever since Affinity came out with there software I was very intrigued and participated when they were still in beta. Incredible program to say the least. I purchased both of them and I currently use Affinity Photo more than I use Affinity Designer and the reason is that I enjoy Photography more. Designer is brilliant!

But going back to Affinity Photo, I mean... it's just awesome. I stopped using Photoshop when they went subscription mode and to be quite frank, it would be a major bummer if Affinity decided to go this route. I doubt they will but you can never be certain of anything in these times. Just hope they keep improving their products. 

By the way, Steve Caplin which I consider a Photoshop guru has put out a tutorial on how to use Affinity Photo and it is great.

Ever since Affinity came out with there software I was very intrigued and participated when they were still in beta. Incredible program to say the least. I purchased both of them and I currently use Affinity Photo more than I use Affinity Designer and the reason is that I enjoy Photography more. Designer is brilliant!

But going back to Affinity Photo, I mean... it's just awesome. I stopped using Photoshop when they went subscription mode and to be quite frank, it would be a major bummer if Affinity decided to go this route. I doubt they will but you can never be certain of anything in these times. Just hope they keep improving their products. 

By the way, Steve Caplin which I consider a Photoshop guru has put out a tutorial on how to use Affinity Photo and it is great.

"I stopped using Photoshop when they went subscription mode and to be quite frank, it would be a major bummer if Affinity decided to go this route. I doubt they will but you can never be certain of anything in these times."

I too left photoshop because of the subscription model of doing business. My concern is Apple is actively encouraging developers to move to subscriptions by lowering their take down from 30% to 15% but it will be a continuing income stream that actually increases their revenue. I believe that the largest company in the world is just getting more greedy. We left Photoshop because of this arrogant attitude and it will happen again if necessary. I am very concerned.

I sincerely ask that for once a company stops and thinks before making a move in this direction and realise that it will eliminate many users overnight if commenced.

We do realise that. We are firmly against subscription models and Apple's recent discount does not change that.

We do realise that. We are firmly against subscription models and Apple's recent discount does not change that.

Hi Dave,

I do not know your position in the company and with what authority you hold but nonetheless it is gratifying to read your response from within. For my part I am spreading the word about Affinity and, by the looks of many of the comments posted in various places, including this Forum, many others feel very strongly about this too. Thank you and perhaps into the future your company will be able to sell direct to the public and keep more of the profit. I could say more about my feelings towards Apple's latest move (having always been a huge Apple fan for years but lately not so) but I don't want to be overly political in this forum. I appreciate your difficult position.

I do not know your position in the company and with what authority you hold but nonetheless it is gratifying to read your response from within.

I'm one of the developers. Tony has more authority but he is currently in America, at WWDC, and may not be reading this thread. I replied because I thought it should get some answer, but really there's nothing new to say on the subject (and it's kinda off-topic for this thread).

Hello All! I've enjoyed reading your intro's, as well as some of your concerns. When I read the comment that Affinity is against subscriptions I was SO excited that I hustled over to the app store and purchased! I'd downloaded the trial version and have been watching the video tutorials.

I'm not a complete newbie when it comes to graphics, but I am not a graphic designer.  However, I'm working on my QueenBeesCoaching website and realized I needed more knowledge as I'm stuck on my page design. Hiring programmers for my commercial website has pretty much emptied my pockets, so I'm going to have to do more myself.  And, not being interested in subscriptions either, I started researching and ended up here.  I'd like to learn how to use this software so I can bring out more of my artistic side.  

Right now I'm trying to figure out a simple crop on part of a vector graphic, but it looks like I'll have to study more.  

I DO appreciate all of you who add to the forum knowledge base, as well as the Moderators.  Being the Super Admin/Moderator on my own forums had shown all the trials the Mod's go through.  

Now back to exploring and watching more videos......