You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

Hi, My name is Laurie McAleenan. I've been a graphic designer for inhouse corporations (in the early 2000's) and freelance (for the last 10 years). I've been a long time user of Mac and the "A" products but wanted to look for an alternative and when I had to replace my last MAC I went with what I could afford which was a Lenovo Windows Laptop. It's been a good workhorse for me right now. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello, how are you, it is a great pleasure to be here and to be able to participate in this forum.

I'm Cristóbal Pohlhammer Prieto, professional web designer and photographer, from Santiago, Chile.

I made the change from Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator to Affinity looking for a better, modern, efficient and powerful solution, also looking for the software company to really listen to its users, managing to improve day by day.

I hope little by little to start participating in this forum, greetings to all.

On 1/31/2022 at 6:17 PM, arkeytekt said:

Hello everyone,

My name is Julie and I’m an architect/illustrator living in Sweden. I recently started to illustrate the architecture of the city I live in. Throughout high school and university I was creating digital art in Adobe - mostly photo manipulation and presentations. It was only after graduating that I discovered illustration and the possibility to combine vector and pixel in Affinity Designer.

In 2020 I dove into the Affinity Suite on both desktop and iPad. To smoothen the transition from Adobe and to improve my workflow (especially on the iPad), I created my own vinyl keyboard shortcut stickers for Affinity. I have been using the German version of the stickers since I made the switch. Last year I also made an English version with slight improvements. The keyboard stickers are available on my website in case you want to check them out:

https://arkeytekt.com

Arkeytekt-keyboard-shortcuts-Affinity.jpg

Hi, I checked it 🙂 and I will definitely buy one set, I like it.

• Staff

@Cristobal Pohlhammer, @jannie, @steveogt4, @Fanfan 92543, @lauriejm, @Chris-James M, @TrooperUK, @Alida Hight

Welcome to all of you to the Serif Affinity forums :) :) 

Thanks for posting here

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hello from Texas. While searching for design templates to use with Affinity, this forum popped up in the feed. Since I am a newbie with Affinity and use mostly Affinity Photo...I felt this was the perfect place to learn. I am 68, single, have 6 granddaughters & 1 grandson. In the past I have used Corel PaintShop Pro & Adobe Photoshop Elements 15. My computer crashed and I went almost a year with nothing. In Jan I bought a Dell XPS 17 9710 laptop. Not crazy about Dell but it was the only option for buying on payments. Anyway, I am looking forward to learning and meeting other creatives here. 

On 10/6/2014 at 8:05, MattP said:

Hola, soy Matt Priestley y soy uno de los desarrolladores de Affinity. Intentaré ayudar en cualquier tema, pero particularmente en todo lo relacionado con herramientas, vistas y dibujo de documentos, ya que son las partes de las que soy mayormente responsable de escribir.

¡Siéntete libre de unirte a mí y presentarte también! :)

Hola comentaba en otra grupo que tengo problemas con la herramienta de selección en Affinity Designer, un problema que antes no tenía, no sé si es fallo de la nueva versión o no se qué es. 
Seleccionó algo y me manda más arriba o más abajo, y no selecciona lo que yo le pido, solo el pincel me está seleccionando bien.

Le agradecería mucho que checara la herramienta y si es del programa me ayuden a solucionarlo y si es alguna cuestión de ajuste, me digan cómo ajustar.

• 1 month later...

Hello Everyone. I'm Lonnie. I've been producing and selling different disciplines of graphic art and design for the better part of the past 50 years. Starting out in Chicago as a child of the 60's, I sharpened my skills as a portrait artist. In my early 20's I spent a great deal of time and focus on graphic design. I'm now 63 and find myself spending most of my creative currency on CADD work. The only thing I can think of that is more rewarding than graphic production is finding a place where everyone can fluently speak the language of creativity.

10 hours ago, Sulako417 said:

Hello Everyone. I'm Lonnie. I've been producing and selling different disciplines of graphic art and design for the better part of the past 50 years. Starting out in Chicago as a child of the 60's, I sharpened my skills as a portrait artist. In my early 20's I spent a great deal of time and focus on graphic design. I'm now 63 and find myself spending most of my creative currency on CADD work. The only thing I can think of that is more rewarding than graphic production is finding a place where everyone can fluently speak the language of creativity.

Welcome, Lonnie! I'd love to see some of your work, if you care to share any of it!

I'm Stacey Guenther, and I've been creating fractals since 2005.  Last year, I started making other forms of digital art.  Other than a year in 1996 as president of my high school art club when I was a senior, I have very little experience with drawing and painting.  Fractals are about the only form of art that I think I'm good at.  I'm very interested in art, especially abstract, and hope to create some interesting pieces of my own.  I am a hobbyist artist.  I create mainly for the therapeutic value of the process, but I enjoy the aesthetics of of it and sharing my work with others.  When Serif had the spring sale recently, I bought Affinity Designer and Photo for 50% off.  It was a great deal.  I had been curious about the products for a long time, so I couldn't pass up that bargain.  I've only made two simple works of art with Designer so far, just to experiment and learn some about the software.  I hope to learn a lot more so that I can make more interesting and complex pieces.  I've been watching and reading a few tutorials and instructional material.  I bought a bunch of brushes and textures, too.  So, I am ready to get started!  I look forward to this adventure.  It's nice to meet everyone.  I hope you all have a good day.

Hi guys! new newcomer here! I'm David, I'm from Poland. I just bought Affinity Designer for iPad Pro 12.9, so I am new to the forum as well as to the app itself. 
In the nearest future I'm planning to purchase Affinity Photo as well. Still have few suggestions to this app, and questions, this is why I created my account here. 

illustrator.gif.6f6e8b9e00373d5954f65a2564edf862.gif

Hey, I'm Pim from the Netherlands. I'm a really old-skool graphics-guy, starting as a self-taught designer, turned into software developer over the years. I started out with creating graphics on the Mac when I was 14 years old. I must have seen the above startup window many, many times (there was no stand-by mode, you had to switch your Mac off every time you were done, and the floppy, also containing the operating system, was ejected before you could). Macs were pretty rare back then, and I only had access to them on weekends. Eventhough my daily work now mainly involves writing code (also a super creative exercise, mind you), I still have a strong "affinity" (yeah, yeah) with graphics programming. At one time I wrote an entire OpenGL game-engine from scratch for a (highly successful) iOS app.

As you can imagine, I have a long history with Adobe. I was even sideways professionally involved with them after the Macromedia merger. It hurts me to see what has become of the company that has had such a great influence on my professional career. I'm still running macOS Mojave because this is the only OS that still supports Photoshop and Illustrator CS6 (and you know why). But it's time to say goodbye, Adobe's holding me back. Time for something new and fresh. I'm very impressed with what I've seen in the Affinity suite so far. Pretty amazed too about how much Serif is allowed to "borrow" in the user-interface department. I remember that before Adobe acquired them, Macromedia had to remove the "tear off"-palettes from their products because Adobe owned the patent to that. Different times.

We live in a strongly globalized economy, and software developers work around the globe. But it's hard to deny that most of the big (and best) players in the software industry are based in the US. So I'm pleasantly surprised to have learnt that Serif is a British company, located just under 400 km away from where I'm based. Excellent!

Let me take this opportunity to add my first request to the wishlist: that long overdue "simplify path" feature in Designer. I already ran into this omission after some doodling yesterday. Looking at how the rest of the products look and feel, it's not the lack of talent on the Serif team that's holding the implementation of this (relatively simple) feature back.

Edited by Zmip

10 minutes ago, Zmip said:

Let me take this opportunity to add my first request to the wishlist: that long overdue "simplify path" feature in Designer. I already ran into this omission after some doodling yesterday. Looking at how the rest of the products look and feel, it's not the lack of talent on the Serif team that's holding the implementation of this (relatively simple) feature back.

I hadn't realised it wasn't there - I thought it was hidden in a menu that I haven't explored yet. I keep Inkscape on my computers for the simplify path function but it would be nice to see it in Designer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I'm Samantha. I've been using Adobe for many years before making the commitment to jump ship to Affinity products. With few exceptions, I have enjoyed the Affinity Suite! I'm happy to be relieved of my monthly obligation to Adobe. Affinity products are a viable alternative that I recommend to any graphic designer who asks about it.

Hi I'm Randall, New to photo editing of any kind.  Used to develop B/W film in the seventies.  I've had a long vacation from film.   For the last year I've been collecting Minolta technology.  Main focus for me is B/W film and I'm planning on using a DSLR to scan the negatives.  I'll be using Affinity Photo to convert the film negative files to positives and for editing.  Anything color will be direct from a Digital camera  I live in Minesota USA

I'm not a developer or software wizard, I'm an old typesetter who learned all the applications used by us users of printing and publishing software since the early 1980's.

I bought the 3 main Affinity applications and am just starting to work with them. I'm intending to walk away from Adobe forever when my current year's subscription ends next Spring. I've had an Adobe account since it began, but they've gone far beyond their original mission.

Please, why do I keep getting messages about the "sparkle-project"? I'm not a developer, I have no idea what this is all about, and I hope I never have to learn anything about this stuff, I just design books and use the best legal and least expensive software available to me.

Thank you.

Jeff Schalles, Minneapolis MN

Dear Matt,

I am Zakia. I worked with the Serif Page Plus 6 for several years and was able to do what i wanted to do with my documents -(watercolor pictures, drawings, etc. easily-cutting, pasting, changing sizes, backgrounds, copying, etc.) I loved using it because of the ease and simplicity of instructions.) However, this new Affinity Publisher I have not been able to use yet, because the instructional language is just not that easily understood. You need to provide simple language instructions along with your more technical instructions. I have not been able to do anything as of yet with your program but will keep on trying.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I just started using Affinity Designer & Photo. I also use Adobe and Inkscape.
Even though I've heard of Affinity for a while, I haven't personally use it until seeking for a vector drawing app on the iPad.
Then I purchased the Desktop version as well, because Photoshop in my PC get slower and bloated each version, especially when working with lot of layers.
I found that Affinity offers a lot at a reasonable price. Simple, intuitive and does several things better than competitors. It also much faster!

Thank you