You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

12 hours ago, gb2022 said:

I've been with Adobe for 25yr. I'm tired of photoshop is to big, takes to long to load, I don't have a supper big graphics card. Adobe cloud is getting to annoying and slowing down my processor.

So I'm looking for a new photo editor, illustrator program.

Welcome to the Forums!  There are many people ready to answer questions you may have, and to share tips and knowledge with you.  Do browse through the Tutorials, Share Your Work, and Resources sections too for useful things.  You will undoubtedly have much you can share with the rest of us too!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Hello everyone,

My name is Julie and I’m an architect/illustrator living in Sweden. I recently started to illustrate the architecture of the city I live in. Throughout high school and university I was creating digital art in Adobe - mostly photo manipulation and presentations. It was only after graduating that I discovered illustration and the possibility to combine vector and pixel in Affinity Designer.

In 2020 I dove into the Affinity Suite on both desktop and iPad. To smoothen the transition from Adobe and to improve my workflow (especially on the iPad), I created my own vinyl keyboard shortcut stickers for Affinity. I have been using the German version of the stickers since I made the switch. Last year I also made an English version with slight improvements. The keyboard stickers are available on my website in case you want to check them out:

https://arkeytekt.com

Arkeytekt-keyboard-shortcuts-Affinity.jpg

Hello  Everyone, I'm a graphic designer, WordPress developer and have been trying out different graphic programs for 25 years. 

How I got here : I was looking at buying the monthly membership for AI since I use all Adobe products but then I decided to check out other software's  that use vectors. I did some research heard good things about Affinity Designer so I purchased it. I started off with Paint Shop Pro many years ago and I'm sure I purchased a product for building website layouts from serif a long time ago but something happened. Funny thing is I didn't even realize it until I signed up in the forum. I have been using Photoshop, and Lightroom for about 20 years now and I love creating graphics. I'm looking forward too learning how to use the designer and hoping to be able to use my many presets I have created over the years. 

33 minutes ago, Is.Me said:

I'm sure I purchased a product for building website layouts from serif a long time ago but something happened

The ‘something’ that happened to WebPlus is that the lead developer left to do other things, and subsequently development of the entire ‘Plus’ range was discontinued so that Serif could focus their efforts on the Affinity apps.

By the way, I’m looking forward to seeing your avatar when you get a chance to upload it. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone,

My name is Jack and I am new to Affinity Designer, I love the program. I plan to use it to design T-shirts and other garments. I am having one problem. I am trying to register my app so I can install the bonus content that I received when I purchased the software. When I try to register I keep getting a time out error and am instructed to try again later. Any help I can get getting past this error would be appreciated.

Hi all!  Long time Affinity owner, but fairly recent forum user.

I am a Full-Stack Senior Web Developer, Technology Director, Natural Born Leader and life-long Entrepreneur. I am the founder of VASCOsoft Web Studio, a boutique full-service digital media agency in Chicago for the last 25 years.

I specialize in Web Application Architecture & Design, Rapid Application Development, Responsive & Adaptive UI/UX Development, User Experience Psychology, and Project Team Leadership.  I have additional disciplines in Test-Driven Development, Interactive Media, Social Media Marketing, Brand Awareness, Product Strategy & Development, Digital Audio, Animation, Print & Packaging Design, and more.

With over 26 years of real-world experience, I am an expert critical thinker, possess strong problem-solving skills, have a keen eye for detail, and require little-to-no direction or guidance to get the job done right.

I am also an avid tabletop gamer, intermediate sommelier, movie encyclopedia, world traveler, expert cruiser, and die-hard Cubs fan.

• Staff

@Jack Russell

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

11 hours ago, Jack Russell said:

I am having one problem. I am trying to register my app so I can install the bonus content that I received when I purchased the software. When I try to register I keep getting a time out error and am instructed to try again later. Any help I can get getting past this error would be appreciated.

You'll find this problem explained, with a work around here

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/155873-known-issues-unable-to-register-or-sign-in-via-affinity-apps/

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 1/5/2022 at 9:58 AM, RobKlein said:

the idea of the subscription should be to lower the cost due to efficiencies of distribution and lower production costs while keeping all licenses up to date, not to increase the cost! somehow that little bit was lost on Adobe and some consumers have rejected their higher prices. Affinity's success if evidence of this. However with the high level of switching costs in terms of training, known workflows,  file compatibility with other professionals and our own future use of existing legacy files, many are hesitant to switch and Adobe knows this and uses this to extract as much as they can. Does anyone remember Google's old tagline: Don't be evil?

Howdy,

I remember BBEdits, line, Still doesn't suck. And they still do not have subscriptions. Unfortunately, Affinity Photo can not replace Lightroom (for some reason I thought that it would; perhaps I had misread something somewhere), so I am forced to subscribe to it, but that subscription also includes Photoshop which I have yet to use, and if I ever would need to, I suppose that I would use Affinity Photo out of spite seeing as how I have paid for it. 

I have asked Adobe to modify that concept to be a one, or the other, or both at various i.e. lower prices but no joy.   

On 12/1/2021 at 1:17 PM, BRalphB said:

Hello everyone. Happy to be here. Just bought AP because I cancelled my Lightroom subscription and needed something to work with. Am a keen amateur photographer using a Nikon camera. 

Howdy, 

I use Nikon cameras also: Z 50 and D 850. I shoot RAW only. If that is what you do, then unfortunately Photo is not a substitute for Lightroom. It is a great non-subscription replacement for Photoshop however. I absolutely hated to do it, but I ended up going back to Lightroom for RAW processing. 

On 11/20/2021 at 4:36 PM, Mortimer said:

Hey, Sailor.  Too old to like the concept of subscriptions?  I will be 70 in just a few days, but I do wonder:  Who is too old to accept the concept of subscriptions?  But especially, subscriptions for something you've already paid for.  Hugh Hefner would have gotten no where if after buying PlayBoy you had to have a subscription to look at the centerfold.  I mean the girls weren't THAT good looking.

Anyway, glad to see you here in the forum.  Like you I've recently gotten back into photography.  Now that I've retired its a hobby since I have way too much time on my hands.  Why just two days ago I found out that my new camera works a lot better if I read the instructions FIRST.  Who would have thought?  

Although Affinity Photo is my first love I got Publisher because I didn't have a decent text editor on my iMac and it has been a blessing.  And if I may recommend; Designer is a program to bring up and TINKER with when you have nothing else to do.   It will surprise you.  

Again, welcome aboard and wish you the best with your photography.  Don't ever pass up a chance to experiment!

OH, well I am 75. I hated the subscription idea from the get go, but the Adobe person gave me a super discount for a two year deal. Never subscribed to Hef's rag. With regard to text editors, I have been using BBEdit since the day it came out if you mean an actual programming / web developing text editor, and not word processor.  

I had been out of photography so long that I got my first shock when I went to the store to buy film for my trusty SLR,  only to discover that there was no film to be found in any store in town, and the only cameras around were these thing called DSLRs.  I did not have time to do any research as to who was on first etc. only what was in stock at Best Buy at what price. DX format crud. So I kinda quit again. 

15 minutes ago, Old Sub Sailor said:

I had been out of photography so long that I got my first shock when I went to the store to buy film for my trusty SLR,  only to discover that there was no film to be found in any store in town, 

What is a 'store'?

Seriously though... I knew the writing was on the wall when Kodak stopped making HIE (their infrared B&W film) and Agfa ditched Brovira.

Regarding BBEdit I bought it at about version 4, purely for their great Find and Replace (AKA Search and Destroy).

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Sub Sailor said:

Howdy, 

I use Nikon cameras also: Z 50 and D 850. I shoot RAW only. If that is what you do, then unfortunately Photo is not a substitute for Lightroom. It is a great non-subscription replacement for Photoshop however. I absolutely hated to do it, but I ended up going back to Lightroom for RAW processing. 

If it's just the RAW processing, Capture One Express is free for Nikon and  useful if a bit limited. I use the Sony version then AP.

HI there my name is Chris-James and I'm a creative writer who is getting back into self publishing after over ten years. I have a current project as well as a previous project that was done in Adobe Indesign (I have all the files). I wish to create my new book as well as edit and re-typeset the old one, which is basically text in various fonts with simple black and white images. I was wondering 1. If affinity publisher would do the job of creating my new manuscript and 2. If I could edit the indesign file, and if not, at least pull the graphics from indesing and re-embed them in a new version of the manuscript (I have text only versions of it also) to edit and re-create my old novel.

Thanks