You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

25 minutes ago, Arun Sarkar said:

Forget that experience Ali, New Serif-New style.....

Ah, hello, young whipper-snapper! ;)

Thanks for the welcome back. :)

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).

Nice to meet you, Ali. ;-) and happy to see I'm not the only retiree finding new life with photography.   I got Affinity Photo first THEN got my first DSLR camera.  Still new at it, but very amazed with it.   My very first digital camera was a joke waiting for a punch line.  I think it had .5 megapixels.  Every photo I took I had to explain.  Just yesterday I discovered Affinity Photo's InPainting brush.  Oh, amazing.  I took a trip to Biltmore Estate in Asheville last month and couldn't seem to get ONE photo that someone just had to walk into the frame as I clicked the shutter.  Now, problem solved.  I'm a kid with a new toy and not apologizing to anyone.    

43 minutes ago, Mortimer said:

couldn't seem to get ONE photo that someone just had to walk into the frame as I clicked the shutter.  

Check out this tutorial, probably better for getting rid of wandering people/animals (damned eagles keep messing up my shots of the river). But you might need a tripod for the best results.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/tutorials/photo/desktop/video/467703838/

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hey, Bruce, just got done watching that tutorial video on stacking and object rendering.   The first thing I bought when the new camera arrived was a new tripod.   NOW, I've got some really good reasons to keep it out of the box.   thanks for the heads up, my friend.

Hi, Mike here and a brand new Affinity user with a Windows / Android background so a lot to learn about my new Ipad. I have been looking at Photoshop for my almost here Ipad however  the cost and the fact that it is a subscription put me off however Affinity looks very promising.

10 hours ago, Mortimer said:

Got rid of the "tourists" in this shot (about 12 of them) of a reception area at Biltmore Estate.

Nice result, although you might want to use the Perspective Tool to straighten the verticals.

When you’re ready, please post the result to the Share Your Work forum section together with one or more of the original shots so that your fellow forum members can appreciate just how much work you’ve put into it.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, Jafajones said:

Hi, Mike here and a brand new Affinity user with a Windows / Android background so a lot to learn about my new Ipad. I have been looking at Photoshop for my almost here Ipad however  the cost and the fact that it is a subscription put me off however Affinity looks very promising.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Mike. I hope you enjoy using Affinity Photo, not to mention your new iPad once it progresses beyond being “almost here”!

Alfred spacer.png

Thanks very much for adding me Affinity and for the welcome Alfred, I am very keen to get recommendations for which pencil to buy to use with Photos on my IPad Pro - which is a 10.5" version so has some limitations. I was thinking about checking out 3rd party pencils but so far it appears that Affinity only supports Apple Pencils. Appreciate any guidance and suggestions from experienced users.

Thanks again

Mike

52 minutes ago, Jafajones said:

Affinity support have just confirmed that at this stage Apple pencils are still the only stylus' supported.

You can, of course, use a finger or any other capacitive ‘stylus’ but it won’t offer pressure or tilt sensitivity.

Alfred spacer.png

Hi Everyone,
I'm an Industrial Designer and have been an Adobe user since the late 1980's. I have taught both Photoshop and Illustrator in the corporate environment as a Design Director.   I've used both products Macs and PCs, (I've even used them on SGI's Irix OS). I used to design boats, furniture, clocks, ceilings (first 10 years) and for the last 20+ years I've been designing and developing footwear. So mostly, my graphics needs have been focused on physical products, but print and web graphics always seem to come up as a need as well. I've also done quite a bit of work in 3D using Fusion 360 and many others in the past, along with 3D printing. I've traveled extensively to Asia, Europe, South America and the US relating to manufacturing (the production end of the Industrial Design). I'm based in Rockland County NY, a suburb less than an hour outside of New York City. I also work as a legal expert for law firms, in cases typically relating to footwear.

In 2019 I decided to try out Affinity Photo and Designer as work was quiet and I was tired of paying Adobe's exorbitant fees. When you're not working this makes a lot of sense from a cost and timing perspective. Last year during the pandemic, I became a Licensed Realtor in New York state, but I continue to consult with footwear clients. Typical graphic design projects for me include logos, trade show graphics, illustrations and renderings of shoes before they have been produced, seamless print patterns, greeting cards, website image optimization and technical drawings and documents. My most challenging project lately was a water pattern I created for a trade show booth - it was 20 feet wide, and that really brought Affinity Photo to its knees but I got it to work in the end using a large pattern repeat. 

I've written a book on Footwear, but need to update it with some updated content and a new cover! you can our more about me and some of my drawings here on my site:

http://www.shoesuccess.com/

on the landing page, there's a slide show where you can see:

• my hand sketches
  • Flat 2d looking color images which are done in Adobe Illustrator
  • The 3d looking cork sandal is done in Adobe Photoshop (not a photo)
  • the 3D looking purple dress pump I did completely using Adobe Illustrator (about 10 years ago)
  • the technical drawings are all done in Adobe Illustrator

All of my current shoe drawings are done using Affinity Photo but I cannot show them yet, as those projects are still underway but once they are complete I will include some to show, but I can say that Affinity Designer has allowed me to produce some nice renderings with texture that before I would have had to go back and forth between Adobe products, but now I was able to do the entire thing in Affinity Designer. This was a huge plus. I use a 22" pen tablet XP-Pen for all of my graphics work and its been a big plus.

I look forward to hearing from you with your comments!

Rob

Hi my name is Joe Shields, I live in Ireland and just bought Affinity to use as my main editor for my raw photo's.I have used Lightroom 6 in the pass but they no longer support the raw files on my Fugifilm xt3 Camera. So their lost bye photoshop Lightroom. Looking forward to the new venture.

Joe

20 hours ago, Granda said:

Hi my name is Joe Shields, I live in Ireland and just bought Affinity to use as my main editor for my raw photo's.I have used Lightroom 6 in the pass but they no longer support the raw files on my Fugifilm xt3 Camera. So their lost bye photoshop Lightroom. Looking forward to the new venture.

Joe

Try and learn. AP gives a lot. But there is a learn-curve! Good luck.

Hi, my name is Duane Hennessy, I'm a Digital Artist and Printmaker who also draws cartoons. I live in Australia. My day to day work has been a mix of Programming and Database Administration and digital art and cartooning. The former still pays the bills and bought our house and now I'm looking to transition to my arts career, finally!

In the past I used Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Painter (both when they weren't subscription based, so a while ago), GIMP, Inkscape, Clipart Studio Pro (used to be Manga Studio 5 which I'm still using for cartooning) another one I can't remember the name of and I once even wrote my own Graphics App in the Python programming language.

When rebooting my arts career I checked out all the reviews on Youtube etc and I was soooo impressed b Affinity products and even more impressed as when I bought and used Photo and Publisher. Wow! I already have artwork ready to roll and plans for zines.

Love your work! 😍

Edited by Zacatzontli
Removal of ambiguity

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I'm Andrea a multimedia designer from Italy. To be honest during December 2020 I bought the suite just out of interest during your discounts.

Unfortunately for many reasons after 1 year I didn't spend much time on this fantastic suite, but the potential for my work it very evident.
Definitely my main goal for 2022 will be switching to Affinity and abandon Adobe.

I hope to find a great community to grow professionally!
See ya!

Edited by Skippi

You just have to commit to learning it on your next project. Start with a small project and leave some time to use YouTube to figure out how to do the basic stuff.

I did it and Ive not looked back. sure, I still struggle at times with basic stuff, as I recall how Illustrator and Photoshop worked, and some things like Layers, editing paths, selecting, scaling, are quite different in Affinity vs Adobe, but struggle and then once you can get past those difficult moments of not knowing and not having a guru by your side, it gets much much easier and better. Now I can go pretty quickly as I have  most of the basics down, and as I come across something new, its just a few minutes of experimentation until I get it. My wife couldn't make the switch, she didn't spend the time to learn it on her own, and she had a tight deadline, so that's unfortunate, and there are times when I still need to open Illustrator, so then we still pay for both..ugh...but that's life.

On 6/10/2014 at 9:05 AM, MattP said:

Hi, I'm Matt Priestley and I'm one of the Affinity developers. I'll try to help out on any topic, but particularly anything relating to tools, views and document drawing as they're the bits I'm mostly responsible for writing.

Feel free to join me and introduce yourself, too! :)

Hi ,My name is Robert and I am happy to be in the Affinity Forum. I have the Mac and IPAD full versions of this great app.

On 11/2/2021 at 10:58 AM, Skippi said:

Hello everyone,

I'm Andrea a multimedia designer from Italy. To be honest during December 2020 I bought the suite just out of interest during your discounts.

Unfortunately for many reasons after 1 year I didn't spend much time on this fantastic suite, but the potential for my work it very evident.
Definitely my main goal for 2022 will be switching to Affinity and abandon Adobe.

I hope to find a great community to grow professionally!
See ya!

Hey, Andrea!  Glad to have you onboard at the forum.  When I got the Affinity Photo program I had been looking for several months to replace a previous photo editor that didn't work on an Apple iMac.  I knew I didn't want Photoshop or anything from Adobe, but boy was I surprised when I discovered Affinity.  I'm glad my old program didn't work on a Mac.  I see you've already gotten advise to start "small" with the suite and move up with experience and advice.  I can't add anything better than that.  But due to the delight I've gotten using Affinity Photo I actually went and got a much better camera.  I have really got a great hobby now for my retirement years.   The only thing I'm afraid of is that I'll get so good with it that someone will offer me a job and I'll be dumb enough  to accept it.  Currently, my favorite tool is the Inpatent brush.  I've attached a couple of examples showing how I used it to "eliminate" pesky tourists who got into my shot at Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC.  Good luck, Andrea.  Nice to meet you.    Richard 

No1.jpg

No1a.jpg

On 10/11/2021 at 12:19 AM, Zacatzontli said:

Hi, my name is Duane Hennessy, I'm a Digital Artist and Printmaker who also draws cartoons. I live in Australia. My day to day work has been a mix of Programming and Database Administration and digital art and cartooning. The former still pays the bills and bought our house and now I'm looking to transition to my arts career, finally!

In the past I used Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Painter (both when they weren't subscription based, so a while ago), GIMP, Inkscape, Clipart Studio Pro (used to be Manga Studio 5 which I'm still using for cartooning) another one I can't remember the name of and I once even wrote my own Graphics App in the Python programming language.

When rebooting my arts career I checked out all the reviews on Youtube etc and I was soooo impressed b Affinity products and even more impressed as when I bought and used Photo and Publisher. Wow! I already have artwork ready to roll and plans for zines.

Love your work! 😍

Okay, Duane.   I "think" I've figured this out and now can get the edited photos of Biltmore to you.  Please keep in mind these are still a work in progress.   Retirees are easily distracted when concentrating on projects.   LOL. 

No1.jpg

No1a.jpg

No2.jpg

No2a.jpg

Nice! That first one is quite a challenge. There are a few tricks I can see there used to remove the tourists and I'd say it's a bloody good job! It's looks so much better without the tourists hahaha.

The second one is great. I love the way the tourist on the steps AND THEIR SHADOW has completely vanished. The tourists by the wall further away have disappeared and even on zoom it's hard to tell there was anything else there. I can just make out the outline of the tourist by the gravel at the bottom of the steps. I'd be tempted to select the some area of the old phot where the gravel is and either copy and paste and stretch it out to the straight line edge, or select with a marquee and clone the gravel back into it. 

But seriously awesome effort! Love it! 💚

My name is TommyJ and I'm a newbie to the Affinity Software Suite. I have the workbooks now and will work on learning Affinity Photo first and then moving into Affinity Publisher....I think Affinity Designer will be awesome to learn.

My intention is to participate in these fora to learn as much as possible and develop my creative instincts. 

Everyone have a great weekend....I'm always open to learning new things.

~TommyJ~

Hello TommyJ and welcome to the forums.

The first thing you should do is to change your User Name from your email address to something (anything) else. This is to avoid spammers.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630