You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

Hello, and thanks to Serif for the Affinity products. I tried to learn graphics software fast enough to outpace the cost of my subscription, but quit. Glad I did, since being referred to Affinity Publisher, etc. Will be using them to better interface with pro's if/when I need their services for my business. Again, thanks and hello!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, my name is Brad...I'm an architect and although have used Photoshop for years, I have just switched to Affinity Photo. I use photo editing to manipulate plans prior to importing them into AutoCAD.

Right now searching Affinity help for a way to re-size an entire photo based upon a known measurement of an element within the photo or image (i.e. the photo is an image of a building and has a door of which the width is known to be 3 foot wide; can the entire photo be resized by changing the width of the door)..? Although, I can do this in AutoCAD...I would prefer to handle it in Affinity. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Hi @Brad S 

Welcome to the forums. It would be best if you were to ask your question about resizing in the Questions Forum https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/5-affinity-on-desktop-questions-mac-and-windows/

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

48 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Welcome to the forums. It would be best if you were to ask your question about resizing in the Questions Forum https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/5-affinity-on-desktop-questions-mac-and-windows/

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I'm probably on the wrong page again, but then I have trouble finding my way out of my own driveway somedays.   I wanted to take a moment and thank everyone who lent me assistance as I upgraded my camera equipment and start to use the RAW capabilities of Affinity Photo.  I had a brush with what is known as "Gray Market" ads and offers which I was able to avoid and therefore went to the proper source to secure a good entry level camera the Canon EOS Rebel T7.  I've only had it one day, but the advice, comments and assurances given to me by the members of the forum is making the transition so much easier.  I have taken some photos that were to me quite high quality  in comparison to my previous equipment.    However, I am tempting fate by attempting to upgrade my skills by photographing hummingbirds.  NOT the most cooperative of subjects and they will not "watch the birdie".  Ingrates!

Hello from Brazil, I'm an amateur coming from a non related engineering field. I'm using Affinity Photo/Designer since jan/2021 for things like web design and 3D models/textures. This is an amazing tool, I'm really happy with it! Congratulations on such a great tool!

Affinity Photo / Designer. PC Win10. Website: https://www.evargas.art

Hello, I'm Mike Christian. I heard about Affinity through a model railroading site, and thought it might be useful. I have used another program for years, but have only done some basic tasks (mostly photo editing) with it. I learn best by following a structured approach, learning each menu (at least an overview) rather than a task oriented approach. Does the WORKBOOK lead the reader through the menu structure? If not, is there a web site, PDF< etc. that might help me in this regard. Thanx!

Hello and welcome to the forums, @Mike Christian

The workbooks introduce the operating elements of the user interface and show the possibilities of the programmes with many examples. Within the programmes, you can get extensive information on the functions and options of the programmes via the help.
And if you have questions that the help does not answer, you will always find someone here in the community who has a solution.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Hi all,

My actual name is Christopher and I've been involved as an advertising art director/creative director for decades, along with stints in corporate marketing and communications. Naturally, I've come up using the 'others guys' stuff since the mid-90's, and for the most part, really liked it. But I got a tip from some colleagues in the UK about Affinity products, and after some extensive Zoom chats, I thought I'd give it a go.

Very nice software, smooth, well thought out. I bought the two hardcover instructional books as well (Photo & Designer). Mixed feelings about the usefulness of the Photo one—and I have yet to tuck into the Design one.

Yes—major learning curve is some areas, minor in others. Curiously, I find my answers by looking in here, but not often by an answer given but what another answer 'inspires'. Yes—sounds weird, but whatever gets you through the night—right!?

Thanx for the opportunity to valve-off for a minute or so. Looks like it is going to be an interesting journey. Now to find out why I can't keep two different projects open in separate windows. I just get tabs which are useless to me.

Kind regards,

-Christopher in Toronto, Canada

3 minutes ago, iSprocket said:

... Now to find out why I can't keep two different projects open in separate windows. I just get tabs which are useless to me.

There is the Window > Separated Mode which may frustrate you more. They do not remember scale location size etc..

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

There is the Window > Separated Mode which may frustrate you more. They do not remember scale location size etc..

First, thanks for the tip. Second, I'm so used to holding two windows open in the 'other guys program' and sliding various layers back and forth between them. This can't be done with tabs, I'm afraid (unless there is a way I'm not aware of?). Maybe the good folks at Affinity will see this post and consider making this happen?

* Ooops! Went to give 'Separated Mode' a try—PERFECT for me! *

Thanx again!

Edited by iSprocket
update info

iSprocket (aka Christopher), 

I have used other photo editing programs over the years and have found nothing I enjoy using more than the Affinity series.  I have all three programs now and in my retirement leisure (of which I have too much) I like to just DABBLE into the programs and experiment.   Its amazing how much you can learn in such a short time when you go in "RELAXED".  After getting into AF, I even got me a new camera and began learning about RAW photography.   As the son of a professional photographer from the 1940s, 50s and 60s this digital age just amazes me.  If my father had ever had digital equipment he's would have never slept upstairs again.   Anyway, welcome to the AF family and glad to have you onboard.  The forums are fantastic for finding answers.   I hope you find all the answers you seek. 

Thanks for the welcome, Mortimer!

Yes, retirement is looming here, and now in semi-retirement. That said, I still keep my hand in by doing select design projects, and given my new MacBook Air a couple of years back, it was time to move on from the old hardware and the 'other guys' programs. As mentioned, some colleagues in the UK who've been using Affinity software professionally (ad agency guys) highly recommended it. Armed with no user manuals, and only the two hardcover workbooks, it has been a challenge so far. And while the forum is quite helpful, having to stop and hunt 'n' seek an answer still is disruptive to my process. Simple things like just cropping a photo on a layer (in Photo) is much different and took a bit to find out how to do (Page 92 in the workbook). I will add the learning curve IS also shortening too.

That said, at this stage, it is really a matter of just getting used to the 'difference'. Overall, Affinity Photo & Design is quite smooth. I will agree that a 'relaxed' approach is a benefit, as if I was doing this 15 or 20 years ago, under fire of deadlines, I may have just said "sod it!" and gone back to the other stuff. And while I learned the 'holy trinity' back in the mid-90's, I also had manuals and a network of my staff who many were in the same boat as their boss. So even under the gun, we advanced (LOL!).

Regardless, and interesting adventure that I will be recommending to others, as time progresses.

Edited by iSprocket
Update info

16 hours ago, Mortimer said:

Got a question, iSprocket!  You say you have the two hardcover workbooks.   I am toying with the idea of getting the AF book.  IS IT a benefit or should I just keep on DABBLING? 

I do have the one for Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer. Photo is remarkably insightful if you have a sound working knowledge of the program to start with, as it takes you into the depths of actual photo editing, etc. I use 'Photo' more as a compositional tool, and a bit of image manipulation, so I find the book a bit lacking in that regard.

As mentioned, I was looking just to 'lop off' some of an image on a layer, and normally I would have just used the marquee tool. Done in a second. Not so with AP, as the entire philosophy of the program is based on a 'non-destructive' concept. (Nice, but I always have my original image files.) But in doing some deep-digging online (turned out to be here), I unearthed someone talking about using a 'destructive' method whereas that layer I was trying to chop a bit off just needed to be rasterized (Layers—>Rasterize & Trim). Works a treat and only one step more that 'the other guys'. But that was not in any book, and that kind of stuff should be, as a great number of us are coming from the A-PSD world, and getting up to speed is paramount for a lot of pros, of which I used to be one.

But I think you mentioned you are more into the photo editing of actual photography, so I would say 'yes'. Maybe wait for a sale, as that was how I got mine.

Thanks for asking!

Crop in Affinity Photo!.jpg

15 hours ago, vogelap said:

I have all three of the workbooks and find them fairly useful.

Granted, I have only a moderate amount of experience with DTP, and I am a complete novice in the other two. 

I've been a professional ad agency Art Director & Corporate Designer since 1978, and been using the Mac and associated pro programs since 1994. Suffice it to say, I have seen a lot come and go. I will say the two Affinity workbooks I have are very well laid out, expose a lot of insight, and look fantastic on my bookshelf. But Affinity could really help out by offering what is tantamount to a 'beginner User Manual' for each of its programs (I know there are online tutorials), as even I find myself stumbling around a lot more than normal—chasing down the myriad of little techniques that nobody makes video tutorials for, but could easily be included in a User Manual.

I'd recommend a couple of options; 1. Check out Google for 'Design online tutorials', as there are plenty that delve into the bigger picture of DTP beyond just operating programs, or 2. decent books on the subject that offer how-to examples. For that, though, you would need a decent bookstore locally to actually look through the book. Regrettably, they are getting rare—especially in small towns.

On 9/16/2021 at 2:12 PM, Mike Christian said:

Hello, I'm Mike Christian. I heard about Affinity through a model railroading site, and thought it might be useful. I have used another program for years, but have only done some basic tasks (mostly photo editing) with it. I learn best by following a structured approach, learning each menu (at least an overview) rather than a task oriented approach. Does the WORKBOOK lead the reader through the menu structure? If not, is there a web site, PDF< etc. that might help me in this regard. Thanx!

Yes it does. In decent detail, too.

Hei! I’m Voita. I am a freelance designer and illustrator, also work as a content creator for Prusa Research (yes, 3D printers). Everyone in our team has been using Adobe products for a long time. I took a different path and switched to Affinity products a long time ago, with which I have been satisfied for many years. And I must say that this software makes my work much easier, compared to Adobe.  I run Affinity products on all available platforms.  However, Affinity Designer for iPad is something for me 😏.

Edited by vojtz.

Hi, I'm Ahmed a graphic designer from Egypt, I was looking for a powerful tool to use in my work without the headache of a monthly subscription, and Affinity was my choice .. the only problem I have is that I use the Arabic language and it is RTL and Affinity apps don't support it.

Hopefully soon it will be fixed to support a huge amount of designers who are willing to shift to the Affinity community.

Ahmed Elnosany

16 minutes ago, AhmedElnosany said:

Hi, I'm Ahmed a graphic designer from Egypt, I was looking for a powerful tool to use in my work without the headache of a monthly subscription, and Affinity was my choice .. the only problem I have is that I use the Arabic language and it is RTL and Affinity apps don't support it.

Hopefully soon it will be fixed to support a huge amount of designers who are willing to shift to the Affinity community.

Ahmed Elnosany

Welcome!

Yes, everyday I use this software I find I like it more and more. I am no fan of 'extortion-ware' that expects a monthly payment. I prefer to pay upfront. Regrettable about the language situation, but I'm sure this could be resolved in the near future. Meanwhile, it sounds like you are most competent in English to carry on for time being, but I suspect your requirements may exceed that. 

I agree—more Designers need to free themselves while experiencing the smoothness and the efficacy of these programs.

Not exactly new here, but returning after a pretty long absence. I have just updated my copy of Affinity Photo (purchased back in 2016). Some members will remember me from the old Serif forums (I don't think I need to hide the fact that I beta tested Serif software for many years and am someone who grew up near Nottingham).

After 31 years as a teacher, I have now retired and intend getting my DSLR out of mothballs ready to start learning how to use it properly. I'm looking to join a local camera club and hope to champion Affinity Photo as I learn to use it.

So, a big "Hello again!" to those I already know and "Hi!" to those I don't. 😄

Ali 🙂

Hobby photographer.
Running Affinity Suite V2 on Windows 11 17" HP Envy i7 (8th Gen) & Windows 11 MS Surface Go 3 alongside MS365 (Insider Beta Channel).