You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

Hi there. I am Andrew, from north of Cincinnati Ohio, USA. Years ago, I used Pagemaker to create documents for the university where I worked. I fell away from DTP for a long time. Recently, my current job required some quick-and-dirty desktop publishing. I did an online search which led me to Affinity. I bought Publisher.

I got my DTP project done & delivered without using Affinity's (excellent) help & resources -- I was able to brute-force my way to completion. But I know there are better ways to accomplish it, so I will continue to explore the feature set of Publisher. I also bought Designer and Photo since they were priced well. The Publisher Workbook will arrive on Saturday.

Buenas tardes. 

Soy de España, y estoy probando estos productos, que aunque con algunos errores, creo que van a ser el futuro de la edición gráfica. 

Saludos a toda la comunidad. 

Escribiré en español porque es en el que mejor me expreso. 

Hi, I´m Sascha, a Multimedia Producer working in Planetarium Business, where we do Fulldome Productions with up to 8k (8192x89192 px) resolution and I´m also a hardcore Atari fan since 1979.

Started with gaming in 1979 with the Atari VC 2600, got an Atari 800 XL in 1983 and since then got most of the 8 and 16 Bit computers. Used to work with an Atari Mega ST 4 doing DTP with Papyrus and Calamus until 1999, then switched to , as the iMac became affordable for me. Mac user since then. Got first Windows PC in 1991, just because the Wing Commander Series became unplayable on my Amiga 500. ;) Earned some money by installing PCs for others and were forced to use it at work, but at home, only Ataris (and C64s, Spectrums and lots of other 8Bits) and Macs are in use. Learned on Corel Draw 3 in the early 90s, started using Quark XPress in the late 90s. Switched to Adobe Suite when Quark failed to OS X and Intel. Also doing a bit of 3D since 2008, using NewTek Lightwave 3D until now (LW 2020.02). Meanwhile I´m the head of the Atari Bit Byter User Club e.V. where I have to publish a printed magazine all three months. As all the Adobe stuff gets too expensive for private use and InDesign still doesn´t match the quality I was used to have with Quark XPress, I started looking for alternatives and now are using Affinity Photo and Publisher. To replace After FX and Premiere I just started using Davinci resolve.

Just created my first template in Affinity Publisher for the Magazine, which will be published soon. I´m extremely happy how fast and stable Publisher runs on my MBP M1 connected to a 4K display.

I´m still running into some obstacles from time to time, which is simply because I was too used to the Adobe workflow, but I was able to adopt to Affinity, as it really is very intuitive.

Hi everyone

Brand spanking new to this software. Bought it yesterday so please be patient if I have any stupid questions...lol

My wife has been crafting for years and does alot with vinyls and her Cricut. The more I watched her the more I took interest and found myself drifting to the sublimation side and I am hooked. Bought 2 heat presses, 2 printers, 1 for sublimation and 1 standard yet as well as snagged a Cameo PRO...yup the big boy that cuts up to 24" wide.

So then we talked about software to design and edit and was recommended to try Affinity Designer. So here I am!

Hi all 

I’m René a retired pastry chef with a love for art. Did use a lot of 3D applications and all kind of related things like Zbrush, photoshop etc. I used Cinema4D for more than 17 years but back in 2012 I did quit the whole art community due personal reasons. Now after almost 10 years I bought an iPad Pro 12,9 inch 2021 version and Affinity Designer/Photo, Nomad sculpt and Procreate. So let the winter come. 
one thing I notice and is a pity, I do not see much Affinity Photo tutorials. A bit strange because I read many users do like Affinity Photo more than Photoshop.

I would love to see more vids on painting in Affinity photo. 

Anyhow, I do love Affinity designer. Very great application. I do a lot with sim racing and now I can use Affinity Designer for creating buttons for use with various Dashboard apps. If anybody know a few good tutorials on creating buttons, please do share it with me. 
I started with the ones you can see attached. I would love to see some tips on how to make the unpressed button “with lights off”  a bit better. It does not looks like a raised button which can be pressed. The pressed one “with the lights on” is fine.

anyway, nice to see this community and happy creating and stay healthy. 😁

03B9A1A8-8C27-4F77-A1E3-08F6B870C7F9.jpeg

C1D044BD-3645-4878-BFAF-6960D020E33A.jpeg

Edited by Bull Shark

Hello Everyone,

My Name is Sagar Siwach, I am from Goa a Small State in South Western India mostly known for its Beaches. I am 22 Years old, but have been working on CorelDraw since I was 09 Years Old (In my Fathers Office). Since then I've been Exploring and trying to get better in the Design Field Overall.

I came across Affinity, to be honest as an alternative to CorelDraw on Mac and really got hooked to it as Adobe was never my First Choice to do the Daily Stuff (Except Photoshop which Corel did not provide any solution for).

I started using Affinity Designer, Publisher and Photo since February this Month and I am really impressed with the performance and the Personas which make the workflows a lot faster.

Cheers!

18 hours ago, Bull Shark said:

Hi all 

I’m René a retired pastry chef with a love for art. Did use a lot of 3D applications and all kind of related things like Zbrush, photoshop etc. I used Cinema4D for more than 17 years but back in 2012 I did quit the whole art community due personal reasons. Now after almost 10 years I bought an iPad Pro 12,9 inch 2021 version and Affinity Designer/Photo, Nomad sculpt and Procreate. So let the winter come. 
one thing I notice and is a pity, I do not see much Affinity Photo tutorials. A bit strange because I read many users do like Affinity Photo more than Photoshop.

I would love to see more vids on painting in Affinity photo. 

Anyhow, I do love Affinity designer. Very great application. I do a lot with sim racing and now I can use Affinity Designer for creating buttons for use with various Dashboard apps. If anybody know a few good tutorials on creating buttons, please do share it with me. 
I started with the ones you can see attached. I would love to see some tips on how to make the unpressed button “with lights off”  a bit better. It does not looks like a raised button which can be pressed. The pressed one “with the lights on” is fine.

anyway, nice to see this community and happy creating and stay healthy. 😁

03B9A1A8-8C27-4F77-A1E3-08F6B870C7F9.jpeg

C1D044BD-3645-4878-BFAF-6960D020E33A.jpeg

Just came here to say I like your buttons! I don't know enough (yet) to be able to offer suggestions, but you're off to a darned good start.

Hello, I am Waffelo, I am from Slovakia and I am 16 years old. I really love graphic design and technology. Affinity is my favorite software for graphic design because of it's simplicity and pricing. I am a Linux users so sadly I need to go trough painful virtualization, I use Affinity in Windows 10 virtual machine.

#Affinity4Linux

Hello, I am Annette from Berlin, Germany. And I am very sorry that I didn't find the introduction link earlier. I've been here for about two months. I used to work as a freelance graphic designer, but at the moment I'm in a different line of work, creating mainly for friends and family.

I was using Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 and was looking for an alternative to it because of the subscription model. Now I am really surprised and happy about Affinity Suite and every day I learn a bit about the new software and the differences and also advantages to Adobe. Thank you for not offering your products as a subscription model.  

Hi All.

My name is Mark, I’m in my low 40’s, recently purchased Affinity Photo and Designer for iPad 5th generation, I must admit I am very impressed with them both, especially for the current asking price, bit of a learning curve for sure but that’s where the fun’s at I suppose.

I will be using AP for a lot of my Drone Shots and Astrophotography images.

Look forwards to seeing what everyone else has been doing with AP & AD.

On 6/30/2021 at 2:33 PM, vogelap said:

Just came here to say I like your buttons! I don't know enough (yet) to be able to offer suggestions, but you're off to a darned good start.

Thanks.. doing my best. I”m not 100% happy but that is for an other topic. 

Hi,

I'm Zoltan from Hungary.

I would love to buy an Affinity product (Photo), but there is no way I can register an Affinity store account. There is literally no option anywhere to be found on the website to register. This forum account cannot be used for purchases.

mod: never mind. Finally I could register but it is only possible when you are literally in the cart.

Edited by gyokzoli

1 minute ago, gyokzoli said:

I'm Zoltan from Hungary.

I would love to buy an Affinity product (Photo), but there is no way I can register an Affinity store account. There is literally no option anywhere to be found on the website to register. This forum account cannot be used for purchases.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, Zoltan.

Your Affinity Store account will be created as part of your first purchase. Just add all the products you want to your shopping basket, and when you're looking at it you'll find an area at the bottom where you can say that you're New and it will create the account for you.

image.png.db6562c6aeae9ddcbc018ba5aff5d9e3.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You're welcome.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, all. Newbie here... just bought Affinity Photo to handle editing as a replacement for Photoshop. Might also look at Designer as a replacement for Fireworks. I had CS3 Web Premium, which I used for many years until breaking down to get a Windows 10 system. Now my investment - financial and time - will no longer transfer, so I needed an alternate. I'm just a hobbyist, but like to do some editing and clean-up on photos before posting them. The minimal tools that came with my new computer weren't going to cut it. I'm very glad to see lots of tutorials available and an active forum to assist with any transition. Anyway, nice to "meet" you, and thanks in advance for all the comments I'll be looking through when I have time.

Hi Everyone, 

Jason here from Sydney, Australia. Newbie to design. I struggle to find a creative bone in my body, so far I've just come up with a bag of elbows, but I'm giving it a crack. 

I have always wanted to learn to draw, and do my own thing, so about 18 months ago I got an iPad and Pencil, and started at the beginning, with ProCreate. I had never heard of rasters! However, I researched and learned basic skills, and set up a RedBubble page with some rudimentary designs, and stylised photos that I'd taken over the last 3 decades as a starting place. 

About 2 months ago I started to delve more into the instructional videos on SkillShare, and hear the word 'vectors' for the first time. Seeing a fantastic new way to create, I immediately switched over to Vectornator. Well it would have been around 2 weeks later I heard one of the instructors mumble some other software name that he recommended, and because the subtitles didn't make any sense at all, I reached out and asked for the name; my connection to Affinity Designer was born :D 

Well, I love it, man do I love it. What a fabulous piece of kit. Now I feel like I have a product for the long haul, with such room to learn and grow and catch up with all that Designer can do. I want to absorb all that I can so that I can make this a past time, and maybe, just maybe earn enough out of it to not have to work full time anymore. 

Anyway, thanks for reading. Cheers. 

Hi my name is Gavin Colvin and I am a Graphic Designer for a Printing Company in my home town of Nelson, New Zealand. I have started to learn and use Affinity software from home and very much enjoying the experience. I am always looking forward to new features and updates. I cant help myself from raving about the software to people.

Hi, everyone.  I'll try to keep this introduction short, but no promises.   I join the forums this week after getting the 1.10 for all 3 of my Affinity programs.  I grew up with a father who was, since the 1940s, a professional photographer. Even as a child I  was somewhat befuddled over the amount of time it took to process a single photograph on that now ancient equipment.  Digital photography has absolutely amazed me from the start.  My first digital camera was a big disappointment.  I think it had less than 1mp power.  Since retiring in 2017 I have remodeled the office, finally purchased an iMac computer, and found ( much to my amazement and delight ) Affinity Photo in the Apple Store.  All my previous cameras have been less than stellar low budget affairs.  Since upgrading to AP 1.10 I am now going back to camera shopping for something decent and back to school (so to speak) to learn how to take and edit RAW format photography.  I haven't been here a week and have been given some very helpful advice on the forums. I have used a number of photo editing programs in the past, but I haven't never been totally amazed with one like AP.  I am hoping this is just the beginning.

Hi I'm Charles, in 1993 I used PagePlus to develop business for a digital company (Phase One) and was an early adopter of another program (PSv1.0) which is one of the reasons I'm back using some Serif products. I create, create images, video, blogs, product reviews, lots of 'stuff' that is interesting. 360, VR, anything visual... my blog has been regenerated (charlestalks.co.uk) as I won an award developing another company's blog I thought I'd do this for myself. I'm looking at ways of promoting software that is required for workflow. I've been asked to run some 1-1 and workshops for Affinity Photo locally. Lot's to do and looking forward to getting to grips with your programs. All the best fellow users!

• Staff

@Farah Douibi, @Charles007, @KiwiGav, @747fan, @Zorquan, @marywilliams, @kylecreate, @Kamau54

A warm welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) and thanks for introducing yourself.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon