You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

Hi Affinity Photo friends,

I am Inder Gopal a photographer from New Delhi, India. A few hours back I installed the SW and be figuring out how best to use it for my work. Through YouTube whatever I have seen of its working is great. I always felt Adobe RAW Converter should have had layers, easy selection tools, etc. but AP has given all of it in its RAW conversion architecture.

I do hope Plug-ins like NIK Efex Pro 4 besides others do get recognised by AP.

Use Frequency channel separation has been so simplified. I did try my hands using it.

Cheers from India 

Hi

I am Gustavo Venturo :) 

an advanced amateur photographer in Chile, Southamerica. I just purchased and downloaded Affinity Photo and I must say it is beyond what I expected.

I've been using DXO, and Affinity Photo looks like fantastic. I much prefer Affinity Photo. I do like the video tutorials, they help getting used to this awesome photo editing program. I think it will take me a while to learn what I need to edit my photographs.

My camera it´s Nikon D90 with telephoto of 18-300mm.

Nice to meet you all

Hello,

I,m Dutch and for a few years used to work with Lightroom, since version 2. I didn't update to the last version. But get all others versions. Used Photshop since last 2 years. I used in the past Coreldraw. And now Affinity PHOTO and Design. My site is htttp://www.jantepas.nl with work of me. Since last of december i use Affinity. And like to learn. Great software and great developers who listen to users, great. This is a Pearl.

Hi All, my name is Paul Bossons AKA Lanza - I have recently retired and simply want to make the personal photos I have and will take in the future a little better. I'm no David Bailey when it comes to taking pictures but I have a Nikon 3200 with 300mm and 55mm lenses. I am currently trying Affinity Photo which looks scary with all its functionality - my there's a lot to learn :). I simply want to start off with straightening my shots and adding clarity to them in the simplest way possible. Not sure if I am over ambitious trying out Affinity but going to give it a good go as I love working on my iMac i7 27" 32Gb, 2TB HDD. I guess a bit like a Jaguar in a child's hands!

Any comments on ease of use for complete beginner would be most welcome, many thanks in anticipation

Any comments on ease of use for complete beginner would be most welcome, many thanks in anticipation

Hi Lanza, welcome to the forums. I'd recommend starting here on Vimeo, going through tutorials in sequence, as they're organised so beginners get started on the right foot.

Twitter: @Writer_Dale
Affinity apps run on: Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB RAM, GTX1650 Super

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there,

I'm Chris, and I've been looking for an "affordable" adobe alternative... I don't use pirated soft so I've been using Inkscape as an illustrator alternative for quite some time... I did not like the GIMP user interface... I now would like to do more serious things, I own a mac (yes really ;)). I tried both photo and designer less than 5 days and I love them... So I purchased both tonight...

I find them really handy and am aware for every other apps that Serif could launch (indesign alternative for example). I'll be using the betas too as they are supposed to be more stable if I understood correctly (probably it's quicker to take advantage of the fixes and adds directly  from the betas because "MAS validation" is longer ?).

Well, good work Serif and hope to see lot of new tools and soft...

Chris 

• Staff

Hi Chris,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Actually is the opposite. The Betas tend to be less stable than the Mac App Store (MAS) version since we use them to implement and test new features/functionality before implementing them in the MAS version. During the Beta period those features are subject to changes and refinements so there may be differences between how they work from one Beta to the next. The files generated by the betas may also not look exactly the same in the Mac App Store version because those features are not present there yet.

So, overall we try to keep the Betas as stable as possible (they usually are) and quickly publish a new one in the same day if something goes wrong, but for production work the Mac App Store version is more adequate.

Hello! My name is Abe. I've been using Affinity Photo for about a week and am happy to report that I've made significant strides in figuring out how to re-work my workflow so it doesn't rely on adobe products :-)

Affinity Photo is pretty excellent and I hope to see it improve as time goes on. I'm particularly excited for Affinity Publisher and the DAM that's in development.

My website is abeolson.flyingdodostudio.com and you can see some of my professional work at https://www.flickr.com/photos/cartoonstudies

Hiya, Sam here from Singapore. Photography and image processing has been a more than serious hobby for over two decades now. I studied photography a bit, started with manual cameras of all types, 135, 127, 6x7, 4x5, 6x4.5, and a whole bunch of other formats, processed B&W film and prints in darkrooms and probably shortened my life by a few years breathing in the toxic fumes. Migrated to shooting chromes and finally digital, many moons ago. 

Now I'm completely digital, but still have a truckload of old slides and negatives to scan and process. I've been using Capture One since the 3.x days to process RAW images out of my DSLR's, Vuescan to scan my physical media, and an old version of Photoshop to edit. I'm trying to cut my Adobe dependency and I have no intention of migrating to their cloud based offer when my OS is no longer supported in due time. I've purchased pixelmator but it didn't really cut it. Affinity's software made a great impression during the beta, and I just purchased a copy today after a lot of procrastination. 

I'm still dependent on PS for a plugin that's critical to my workflow to process linear film scans, so I hope Affinity photo starts supporting PS-type plugins seamlessly at some point in time when I can move completely to AP. 

Greetings! As an Affinity and iMac (but not photography) newbie, I'd like to introduce myself...Steve Solomon, owner of Total Quality Photo in Texas. I look forward to seeing what I can do with Fuji .raf files in your awesome app! To return the favor for the helpful advice I've received so far, please feel free to ping me on any general photography questions, and I'll reply ASAP. Thank you!

Hello,

I'm just introducing myself. Working on getting my head around the newer way of working. Coming from PS et al.

Bruce

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

im john and im a freelance photographer who works with both film and digital stuff.

i learned about this software just the other day, and thought i would give it a whirl.

there are only a few "tools" that i ever used with the software i have been using ( 20 somethnig years )

hopefully i will figure out where they are here or a work-around, and be a very happy camper .

it looks great so far !

john

Hello, I have just bought Affinity Photo and am slowly trying to learn to use it.  I'm a very keen amateur underwater photographer and previously have only edited my photos on iPhoto.  Since updating to El Capitan, I have lost iPhoto which Apple (in their wisdom) have replaced with Photo.  Hence my need for better editing software.

I am a real novice, but am slowly picking up the facts, mainly thanks to the great tutorials.  I do have a couple of questions, mainly related to the most common problems associated with underwater photography.

The first big problem is backscatter and I would be very grateful for some guidance on the best/easiest way to eliminate it from my images and, secondly, I sometimes have small areas of the image which are overlit because my strobe was not properly positioned .  Is there a way to change the exposure/brightness on a very small area of the image?  For example, a fish might have a white belly and the strobe light from this will be reflected much too brightly compared to the rest of the image and so I would only want to alter the exposure/brightness of the belly of the fish.

Many thanks for any suggestions!

Hello, my name is Mars and I am an Affinity addict.

From the first time I tried Affinity Design, I have been "chasing the dragon" ever since.

Reason I like Affinity Designer and Photo.

#1 - Render engine is FAST! - Scrolling and zooming is butter smooth, moving objects is not a painful operation as it is in Illustrator and photoshop.

#2 - Has Just enough features to make it useable for work.  - It just eaks in there on tools, but the performance puts it so far ahead I still save hours of time in layout I don't mind working graphics in photoshop/illustrator and then importing to Affinity for layout.

To the developers, thank you for the performance, please don't ever sacrifice it for more features.

To the developers; are you open to bribes?  Do you need some LED driving lights? Maybe a high output flashlight? My company sells LED lights and I really appreciate the time savings Affinity design has granted me.

Mars

Hi All, I'm Ray  a digital artist. I bought both Affinity Designer and Photo. I've already been hired to do a job in Designer. I found both of these outstanding. I do most of my work in Painter 2016 and Paintstorm Studio. These are very different than Designer and Photo but they all look at the way we do art and editing! One thing about the videos that both Designer and Photo have are outstanding. They are to the point and I Love It that way. I've recommend the program to a friend who is a  interior designer. Looking forward to learning more on this site. Thanks for reading this. :D

Tommy Stark. Nope, not the Ironman, but close, really close. Im only missing the money and the iron suite.
 And as you can C from my "tag" here, i cant write :D GURU is the right way, but hey, who cares. What i DO know, is to run web design business and have done so for over 15 years now. I was part of Macromedia fanclub until adobe went and destroyed it. I have personally used Fireworks from day one. Always have loved it. Tried to move to Photoshop, other variables, but no, there never haven´t been the right kind of feeling and UI. TODAY i finally lost it. Honestly, it was 2-4 times in day fireworks crashed (all others in our office use other software, im old fashioned they say...) and i was starting to look for alternatives. I have been waiting Long for Alan Musselmans (did i spelled that correctly) alternative since he was head of fireworks department in adobe, but it seams he lost the red line in way. 

But boys, today, i found one. I can honestly say that haven´t  stumbled to so good "out of box" software since the days of my begining then what i stumbled today. This Affilnity sofar, it have been like i have been using it for years. All new features make perfect sense, its like i have been part of development team. 

So, from one days experience, i  am super super awesomely positively happy for your product. Keep up the good work. 

I allso have to ask the background of developers, since its different yes, but theres so much "fireworks" on this that have someone worked for adobe or have just been fan of fireworks? ( and honestly, i have just downloaded software, watched couple of tutorials, i have zero knowledge of the company behind it at moment of writing this. ) 

Open positions: Outbound SEO EXPERT. Contact us if you think you have what it takes 

https://www.digitoimisto.guru

Digitoimisto GUR one place to learn some background is to read the Affinity Review magazines available on the website. I also find Affinity Photo an impressive program and the forum is a helpful place.

David Voth

Affinity Photo, Designer and Publisher ver. 2: macOS Sonoma and iPadOS 17