You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

1 hour ago, Giovanni Pietri said:

found the alternative that works best, without approaching the excellence of the old Ventura....

There are a few people here with Ventura experience. In my case it is extremely limited.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

30 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

There are a few people here with Ventura experience. In my case it is extremely limited.

Yes, the control over all the features of the publishing and typographic fonts was extremely accurate, thus achieving an excellent product when taking a book to press. Unfortunately, the learning curve of the program required a lot of prior knowledge about book layout and typography at professional levels. The program was abandoned by the owner corporation over a decade ago and did not receive any updates and lost all support, however, it continued to put up a fight and can be used, with certain small tricks in Windows 10, but, unfortunately, it is already a bit too unstable. I know that not many people used the program as it was a high level specialized tool.

Of course, this lack of evolution has made it fall into oblivion and its users are forced to look for alternatives... and Affinity Publisher is an excellent opportunity to get the job done, with good tools, image management and high quality artistic and paragraph text, with an intuitive and clean interface that manages to make the work of building a book, a magazine or any similar advertising piece, a pleasure and not a heavy work.

I do not suggest anyone to use the old program, just as I would not suggest using the Eagle lunar module to go to Mars today.

Hello folks :)

Mostly I shoot RAW and am keen user of DSLR and primes

Have been learning my way round Affinity for a couple of weeks now (having migrated from another software). Mostly I am interested in the HDR / stacking type capabilities as my digital darkroom activities has been pretty minimal / traditional so far

UK based my day job is digital transformation / user centred digital design, image making is a hobby. Run a small UX / UR agency - so far Affinity is "doing okay" in terms of its design :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I am John. I am a nature photographer and work with mostly RAW files. I also take part in Photo competitions which require jpeg file format. When I load a RAW file into Affinity and work on it, it is then Developed to an Affinity Document. This cannot seemingly be saved as a jpeg file. How do I convert Affinity Documents into jpeg files for use in digital competition? I know this is a destructive method of file saving but the rules of the competition are jpeg only.

16 hours ago, John Kirk said:

Hi I am John. I am a nature photographer and work with mostly RAW files. I also take part in Photo competitions which require jpeg file format. When I load a RAW file into Affinity and work on it, it is then Developed to an Affinity Document. This cannot seemingly be saved as a jpeg file. How do I convert Affinity Documents into jpeg files for use in digital competition? I know this is a destructive method of file saving but the rules of the competition are jpeg only.

Hi John, I am also new to to AP and also capture all in RAW for photo competitions If You go to File and Export you will get the range of formats in which you can save. 

After selecting the JPEG format you can also resize to the correct size for competitions then export.

Hope this helps

Trevor

Hi, I'm KKat

I'm not an IT expert so please bear with me.

After a friend's recommendation, I have downloaded the trial version of Affinity Photo onto my old iMac. 

I have Lightroom 5 (purchased outright) which I use to sort my images and a very old version of Nik Collection. 
I followed the instructions on the internet so I could open Affinity in Lr i.e. Photo / Edit in / Edit in Affinity photo.app.
However, when I do this it just copies the image into a Tiff file and that's it. When I did this with Nik, the image just opened in the app so I could edit it.

Can you please direct me to the place where I can see the next step.

More questions:
  • can Affinity photo prepare slideshows & / or movies?
  • or do I need to purchase one of the other products i.e. Design or Publisher?
  • can I add music to the slideshow?

I realise these are basic questions & would appreciate help.

Regards & thanks

KKat

10 hours ago, KKat said:

More questions:
  • can Affinity photo prepare slideshows & / or movies?
  • or do I need to purchase one of the other products i.e. Design or Publisher?
  • can I add music to the slideshow?

I realise these are basic questions & would appreciate help.

The answer to each question is No. No Slideshow/Movie capability exists in any of the Affinity products.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

@KKat

Affinity photo is a great advanced photo editing software similar to photoshop. Use it as a stand alone package and do not call from
LR or other similar applications. AP has all the photo editing features built into it. Watch a couple of introductory videos at the official
website to get a good start. You will never regret purchasing this software. If you are looking for animation movies, try the free Blender
software which is a 3D application with a steep learning curve. If your need is only slides and ppt, use the free Openoffice software.

Hi, I'm Jenna, from Palm Springs, California, USA.

I'm a long time artist/game developer, and I've been using Photoshop since 1992. Recently, however, I decided to shake things up a bit (new inspirations and all that) and look for something else to replace that old (but lovely!) beast, so here I am. Bought Photo and Design, and already diving in. So far, so good.

Mostly using it on my PC but I'll likely get it for my Mac as well. I showed it to my wife (also an artist) earlier and she bought it as well. :)

Thanks!

~ Jenna

Hi, I'm Yain from Fryslân.

I'm very green to all the digital drawing and photo stuff and no professional and have a lot to learn. I love to draw though, with pencil, (real) ink and paper. You can find some of my work on devianART (Yainderidoo).

So forgive me if some of the questions I'm going to ask sound a bit odd for people how are in this field much longer then I. Almost 62 and just wanting to learn....    ~;o)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone.. This is Harry from Philly, USA. I'm new to Affinity Designer and hope to get support from the awesome people here. 

Since I'm starting out fresh and have long learning curve, I'm trying to gather some cool assets for my designs. Could you please share some with me? 

Thank you for the help in advance and its very nice to meet you all and looking forward to contribute as I move along my journey with Affinity. 

Willemw, hello.

I am a retired lawyer, wrote a book for 8-12 years, hopefully also fun for parents and grandparents when reading the kids. Tried to do the design myself, AFPub, because I like the creative work in all its aspects. Wow, that is a risky undertaking. Spent quite a few moments of pure frustration, in particular as regards the colour management. Anyway, the book is ready, apart from a small hickup, and that's why I subscribed to this forum. I need your help, ladies and gentlemen. 

Best

On 6/8/2021 at 1:17 AM, HPYTHONN said:

Hi Everyone.. This is Harry from Philly, USA. I'm new to Affinity Designer and hope to get support from the awesome people here. 

Since I'm starting out fresh and have long learning curve, I'm trying to gather some cool assets for my designs. Could you please share some with me? 

Thank you for the help in advance and its very nice to meet you all and looking forward to contribute as I move along my journey with Affinity. 

Welcome to the forums!  Just found your question regarding assets.  There is a section of these forums — Resources — filled with free assets, styles, brushes, palettes, macros, textures, templates, etc. which may interest you.  When you have some spare time, you may wish to browse through the section for things you would like to download.  Hope this starts you on your way!😊

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

5 hours ago, willemw said:

Willemw, hello.

I am a retired lawyer, wrote a book for 8-12 years, hopefully also fun for parents and grandparents when reading the kids. Tried to do the design myself, AFPub, because I like the creative work in all its aspects. Wow, that is a risky undertaking. Spent quite a few moments of pure frustration, in particular as regards the colour management. Anyway, the book is ready, apart from a small hickup, and that's why I subscribed to this forum. I need your help, ladies and gentlemen. 

Best

Welcome to the Forums @willemw☺️  Don’t be shy about asking anything you don’t understand.  Posting a question in the Forum section “Affinity on Desktop Questions” should elicit an helpful response in relatively short order.  Lots of experienced people are there to help.  I can certainly attest to that as I have been helped times out of mind!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Hello,

My name is Peter, I'm a landscape designer in North Carolina. I came across Affinity Suite a few years ago while looking for a more affordable alternative to Adobe. I continue to be impressed by the quality of instruction provided by the developers and depth of knowledge and willingness to share of the contributors to these forums. 

I'm in the process of creating my own residential design business and now getting involved with the intricacies of website design. Mostly I need help overcoming my choice paralysis when it comes to creating graphic standards, but that's probably something I should talk to a therapist about.

I have enjoyed reading the threads on this community for the past year while looking for tips and tricks in my own site illustrations. I look forward to becoming a more active contributor and inviting more landscape architects to consider Affinity products for their work.

Cheers

Peter

Hi I am Jenny, in Scottsdale, AZ. I have two teenage kids and am a teacher (but ready to retire).

I just purchased AD today. I have been using the trial version and really liked it.  I started a business where I design things to sell so I can have a supplementary income. I need a lot of help since I am fairly new at this. I appreciate any help anyone is willing to offer me.

Jenny

Hi! My name is Axel Aguilar, 22 years old, from Guatemala, currently studying Systems Engineering, I'm really passionated about graphic design and 3D modeling, I have worked in priting, graphic design, motions graphics, and many other things in my relatively short career (I work as a Freelance now)

Stephanie from Ohio, USA. Bit the bullet and started using Affinity Designer after about 15+ years with Serif Page Plus products (x9 just keeps randomly crashing for no reason). Bought every upgrade without fail. Cannot say I will do the same here.

After reading a lot of the "official" moderators comments, I can see that their previous users are more trouble and an absolute afterthought. If I had read a lot of their comments (quite snarky) and realized their refusal to take us into consideration, I would not have really purchased. Yes, it is better than whatever else is out there - but I think the lack of respect for long term customers and is very telling. How hard would it have been to create help videos or at least a cheat sheet for old users? 

I am glad you are succeeding with all your new customers and I hope they value loyalty far more than Serif did.