You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

I am P4rp,
If you saw me else where then hello, it looks like our interests align more than we though,

I am using this program cause it's awesome (and affordable)
I also have a habit of not being able to spell, this is not a good habit and I know that... whacha man gonna do about it, learn how to spell?  HA lol

-P4rp

49 minutes ago, P4rp said:

I also have a habit of not being able to spell,

I unfortunately, had the same habit when I was a young designer. But habits can be broken and fixed, and in the case of spelling, it is absolutely necessary. I once cost the company I was working for, almost $6,000 on a project because of my spelling mistakes.It was fortunate that I didn't lose my job! But through that experience I quickly learned how important it is to force myself into learning, practicing, and exercising an accurate spelling habit. Trust me, poor spelling is no laughing matter and can cost you dearly. Just a word to the wise.

1 hour ago, ABHULtheELF said:

I unfortunately, had the same habit when I was a young designer. But habits can be broken and fixed, and in the case of spelling, it is absolutely necessary. I once cost the company I was working for, almost $6,000 on a project because of my spelling mistakes.It was fortunate that I didn't lose my job! But through that experience I quickly learned how important it is to force myself into learning, practicing, and exercising an accurate spelling habit. Trust me, poor spelling is no laughing matter and can cost you dearly. Just a word to the wise.

One rule I try and get enforced is 'Never proof read your own stuff' I can find spelling mistakes others make but we usually all miss our own mistakes. Print shops should have a dictionary in them.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

38 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

One rule I try and get enforced is 'Never proof read your own stuff' I can find spelling mistakes others make but we usually all miss our own mistakes. Print shops should have a dictionary in them.

Which is why I have the newsletter I edit proofread by others for my sections.  Though, need to find out how to get Publisher to recognise some spellings as correct (names and such)

Hi, my name is Dave,

I,m trying to jump ship with adobe so I thought I would give you guys a try. I really do love the app except for printing. Always prints borders And loses sharpness. I am running V 1.8.5.703 And windows 8.1. 8 gigs of ram, no problem there. I just tried to print in photoshop and it worked fine and always does. You're help would be appreciated !

Thanks,

Dave

Hi,

I'm Nick and based in York, North Yorkshire, UK. I used to use Aperture which was a fantastic App, I have dabbled with Photoshop and Lightroom but never really got to grips with it.  Frustrated with Photoshop and Layers I started looking around and found Infinity. Dowloaded today, I'm a real novice and just dipping my toe in the water with the basics !

Looking forward to getting some tips and ideas !

Many thanks,

Nick

21 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

You're right, Old Bruce. The reason for this is simple—Often, we proof-read what we expect to see instead of what is actually there. That is especially true if the designer is also the body copy writer and gets magnified when the designer has a tight deadline. But, it is always best if we catch our own errors first. One mantra some designers go by is to get their client to sign off on a proof before printing. That way, the client is responsible for errors, not the designer. Personally, I think this is cuts two ways (1) it does let me off the hook, but (2) it makes me look like a shoddy, insecure designer.

The whole idea of getting someone else to proof-read the copy is a great one! My wife has caught a few of my own misspellings over the years. Another "Old Timer's" tip I learned decades ago is to proof-read the copy backwards instead of forwards.

Hello Matt,

I'm Dave L I just joined the forum. I am all new to this. Maybe you can help. I have had affinity photo for 1 week and really like it except it refuses to print borderless. I am using ver. 1.85.703 And running windows 8.1 with 8 gigs of ram.

Thank you very much,

Dave L

Hi there. Love Affinity Publisher. I use a 2018 iMac. I am a retired art restorer writing about my trade. My first book is almost done and that would not have happened with Adobe Indesign. Sometimes it is a little scary when I shut down Affinity publisher and it takes an hour for the program to find my images. All  images are not well organized but the vast majority are in one folder on the desktop.

On 12/3/2020 at 2:17 AM, Dave L said:

Hi, my name is Dave,

I,m trying to jump ship with adobe so I thought I would give you guys a try. I really do love the app except for printing. Always prints borders And loses sharpness. I am running V 1.8.5.703 And windows 8.1. 8 gigs of ram, no problem there. I just tried to print in photoshop and it worked fine and always does. You're help would be appreciated !

Thanks,

Dave

6 hours ago, Dave L said:

Hello Matt,

I'm Dave L I just joined the forum. I am all new to this. Maybe you can help. I have had affinity photo for 1 week and really like it except it refuses to print borderless. I am using ver. 1.85.703 And running windows 8.1 with 8 gigs of ram.

Thank you very much,

Dave L

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Dave. :)

There’s usually a limited range of paper sizes that can be printed borderless on any given printer model, so the first thing I would check is that your chosen document size is suitable for borderless printing. I suggest that you create a new topic in the  Questions forum, since questions can easily be overlooked in this ‘Introductions’ thread.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, Steverinos said:

Hi there. Love Affinity Publisher. I use a 2018 iMac. I am a retired art restorer writing about my trade. My first book is almost done and that would not have happened with Adobe Indesign. Sometimes it is a little scary when I shut down Affinity publisher and it takes an hour for the program to find my images. All  images are not well organized but the vast majority are in one folder on the desktop.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Steverinos. :)

I’m a little surprised to learn that APub tries to find images when you shut it down, rather than when you launch it and open a document! Having said that, I suggest that you start a new topic in the Questions forum so that other users are more likely to see your post and offer some advice.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Well today, I made the leap away from Adobe and purchased Designer and Photo while they were going cheap.  I would have purchased Publisher as well but it is still missing a feature I need.  Regardless, I am very happy with what I have bought, and, while I am not a power user by any stretch of the imagination, I hope to make the very best of them.  I have made a few posts already on the board but expect I will make quite a few more over the coming weeks and months depending on how many hurdles I bump into.

Steve

Base Unit: I5 (10th gen.), 6 cores, 12 threads, 24GB Ram, 256GB SSD (Boot), 1TB HDD, Intel 630 (Graphics), Colour Calibrated Monitor and Printer (Courtesy of X-Rite Hardware) - Running MacOS Monterey

Laptop: I5 (6th Gen), 8GB Ram, 128GB nvme, Intel 520 Graphics, Colour calibrated screen(Courtesy of X-Rite Hardware) - Running MacOS Monterey.

Server: i5 (4th Gen). 16GB Ram, nVidia GT 730 (Graphics), 500GB SSD (Boot), 2TB & 1TB HDD (General storage), Running MacOS Catalina

Greetings all 😀

I'm pleased to see so many longterm users of Serif software on here.  I used the free PagePlus starter edition when I was studying Graphic Design back in the 1990s (I'm giving my age away there 😉 ) and although the industry was using QuarkXpress, Photoshop, Illustrator and FreeHand at the time, I still had a special place in my heart for Serif, and I kept an eye out on your developments from time to time.

Now I'm working in an IT role (I didn't have the artistic vision and creativity to pursue a career in graphic design 😢 ) I no longer have a requirement for page layout and drawing applications, but I'll always have a need for a decent photo-editing app, even if it's for something as basic as editing screenshots when producing simple user guides and other documentation.

Since Adobe's subscription method seems to have lost touch with reality, and my perpetual Photoshop CS6 software no longer runs on MacOS Catalina and Big Sur, I thought it time to show Serif my support and purchase a license of Affinity Photo in the Black Friday sales for 1/3 the cost of Photoshop Elements perpetual, or less than the cost of a single month's Adobe CC subscription.

Here's to the next 25 years (it could be closer to 30, I can't remember) 😘

Hi, I am a new Affinity Photo user who has decided to stop using a standalone Adobe CS6 application on my photo editing computer (an iMac), because Adobe no longer supports CS6 and earlier versions of it.  And also because of the following reasons:

a.  I can't upgrade OS-X to Catalina, nor to Big Sur-as long as I want to continue using CS6. Right now I have CS6 running under Mojave.

b.  I am an amateur photographer, and only edit my photos occasionally.  In this case, the Adobe's CC apps would be a big waste of money.

c.  I don't want to depend on photo editing apps that require monthly payments and Internet service, since I often am at remote locations where there isn't Wi-Fi available. I prefer to pay up front, and dislike being tied-up to monthly fees.  I already paid dearly for the Adobe CS5 and then CS6 apps.

I downloaded and installed the latest version of Affinity Photo, but my learning curve is steep without a guidebook.  I ordered, Frank Walters' "The Affinity Photo Guidebook,"  not necessarily because it may help me learn about Affinity Photo, but because it is the only one that has been recently published. I have no idea if this guidebook will help me, but that's all I can do at the moment.  

By the way,  learning from reading printed instructions from a book for example, is a lot easier than learning from a screen (ebooks or videos).  In the instruction videos I have watched, the host goes too fast through the mouse-click and keyboard commands.  It is tiring for me having to pause or rewind the video to catch something that I missed.

Edited by RaDeSun

1 hour ago, RaDeSun said:

Hi, I am a new Affinity Photo user who has decided to stop using a standalone Adobe CS6 application on my photo editing computer (an iMac), because Adobe no longer supports CS6 and earlier versions of it.  And also because of the following reasons:

a.  I can't upgrade OS-X to Catalina, nor to Big Sur-as long as I want to continue using CS6. Right now I have CS6 running under Mojave.

b.  I am an amateur photographer, and only edit my photos occasionally.  In this case, the Adobe's CC apps would be a big waste of money.

c.  I don't want to depend on photo editing apps that require monthly payments and Internet service, since I often am at remote locations where there isn't Wi-Fi available. I prefer to pay up front, and dislike being tied-up to monthly fees.  I already paid dearly for the Adobe CS5 and then CS6 apps.

I downloaded and installed the latest version of Affinity Photo, but my learning curve is steep without a guidebook.  I ordered, Frank Walters' "The Affinity Photo Guidebook,"  not necessarily because it may help me learn about Affinity Photo, but because it is the only one that has been recently published. I have no idea if this guidebook will help me, but that's all I can do at the moment.  

By the way,  learning from reading printed instructions from a book for example, is a lot easier than learning from a screen (ebooks or videos).  In the instruction videos I have watched, the hosts goes too fast through the mouse-click and keyboard commands.  It is tiring for me having to pause or rewind the video to catch something that I missed.

Agreed on all points as I was in the same boat. Luckily I am running my CS stuff on my old tower that I’ve kept downgraded for the reason of running CS6. But did get a new iMac recently and have Affinty running on it. I’m really liking the way the way the Affinity apps work and although I’m having to re-learn a lot of stuff, it’s completely worth it from a price point issue not having to do the monthly subscription. As soon as I’m confident I have all my skill sets transferred over, I’ll be putting CS6 out to pasture. Affinity has done a great job filling a gap in the industry and if they’re this good today, I can only imagine how powerful this suite of software will be in the future. 

Another new user. Been using ON1 Photo Raw for a few years and pretty much reached the limits of what works well there. Got Affinity Photo largely for focus stacking, frequency separation and stacking, but now quite like it for general processing. Bit of a learning curve though! My main struggle is with exporting, which seems a bit primitive. For the moment sending images back to ON1 where resizing and exporting is a bit slicker and easier. Also miss not having camera profiles and the ease at which I can use luminosity masks in ON1.

14 hours ago, RichardMH said:

Bit of a learning curve though! My main struggle is with exporting, which seems a bit primitive.

I agree, Richard. I had several steep learning curve issues. Most of these were simply because of the British English versus American English way of describing tools and setting preferences. Lately, I had a pickle of a time trying to figure out how to get the best PDF quality for a 26-page brochure I was working on for a client of mine. The main issue was that the document export had to work both for pint versions and screen reading purposes. I had no trouble in the past with Adobe PDF conversions, but the Affinity Publisher export options had to be "tweaked" quite a bit (using the "More" call-out at the bottom right of inside the PDF export creator.) I had to experiment with many different settings before I finally figured out the best combination of adjustments and saved it all as a new User Custom Setting. I also continue to have issues with fonts not behaving as I was used to with Adobe CS. But ll-in-all, the cost savings far outweigh the learning curve and I would definitely recommend Affinity as a very viable option all around.

Hi everyone my name is webb01 here seen as webb was taken lol, i've always used photoshop more as a hobby than work, photoshop 9 now cs2 i have cs4 but only on mac bought in error grrr, pc versions very rare and pricey, it was on this search someone mentioned "Affinity Photo" so here i am checking it out 

• 2 weeks later...

Good Evening Everyone. Micheal Rotana from Mobitsolutions, Slough, UK. doing website design and development for businesses like, airport car parking, accountancy firm, ecommerce etc. I use windows notebook of HP brand and macbook sometimes. if you need any kind of web development or software development help write me back or Any leads greatly appreciated. https://www.mobitsolutions.com

~Micheal

Edited by micheal_rotana

Hi,

I'm Todd. Just learned about Affinity Photo last night and took me all of 15 minutes to buy it. I watched the beginner tutorial today and poked around. I have 8 years or so experience with Photoshop and I must say I am impressed with Affinity. It has everything I need and is so similar to Photoshop there is not a big learning curve. All I can say is wow. Affinity is going to give Photoshop a run for their money. You can't beat the pricing for Affinity. I hope Affinity takes over Photoshop in numbers! I see they have something comparable to illustrator too. I'll be purchasing it soon as well. I have experience with Illustrator. Hope the Affinity Designer has a small learning curve like Affinity Photo has.

Welcome to the Affinity Forums, @Option Whisperer:)  Both Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher will have "a small learning curve like Affinity Photo" for most people.  But in my humble opinion it is so worth it!!   A suggestion might be to familiarize yourself with Photo, including the many excellent Affinity tutorials, and then when you are feeling comfortable with it, branch out to include Designer in your repertoire!   I predict a long and productive Affinity future for you.  And don't hesitate to post in these forums if you have a question or are stuck.  There are so many highly qualified people here to help.  Happy New Affinity Year!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

32 minutes ago, Option Whisperer said:

Thanks. All Affinity needs to do now is develop something to replace Dreamweaver then Affinity will be golden and put adobe out of business or at least force them to change their business model.!

👌 - Now that would be SPECTACULAR!!!!