You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

My name is Tom. I have been a 20 year developer using mostly Adobe products in the past. I was out of the field for a few years and have returned recently discovering the Affinity product line as they have reignited my design passion. I am very grateful for the incredible tools provided as well as the top notch tech support for them. I can't wait to see what is next and am right now in deep study trying to learn the inner workings of the current Affinity Suite. I wish I had these same tools available in the past as they would have streamlined some involved past projects. These belong in everyone's graphic toolbox, even if you work with other tools as they are very reasonable and very good at what they do. From what I have seen already, Serif really cares and will give you the best they can. Thanks so much. Worth easily multiples of the purchase price, yet so affordable and reachable for anyone. 

Nice to meet you @Trljr.

Welcome to the community.

Vacuum designer, troubleshooting expert of - Vacuums Advisor
                  "Save a Tree - Save The Environment - Save Your Life ".
=================================================

10 minutes ago, George Gibson said:

Nice to meet you @Trljr.

Welcome to the community.

Welcome (rather belatedly!) to you too, George. :)

You seem to have specified your location as a postal address: it probably isn’t a good idea to share such things on a public forum, so you might like to change that. In a similar vein, posting an undisguised email address as you’ve done here is an invitation to spammers (although I suspect that the ‘gorge’ part should be ‘george’, so in its present form it may well be useless to address harvesters).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 8/31/2020 at 10:42 PM, JasonMcMilan said:

Hello everyone!!!

Nice to meet you.

Vacuum designer, troubleshooting expert of - Vacuums Advisor
                  "Save a Tree - Save The Environment - Save Your Life ".
=================================================

Hello, everybody.

Finally arrived at this point in my life to pursuit all my creative interests almost all at once thanks to these great products. They make life so much easier without sacrificing anything. 

I love the YouTube tutorials a lot, so please, keep doing them.

See you around.

• 1 month later...

Hi folks, having self-published four books using Word and become increasingly frustrated by the hoops one has to jump through to format them correctly, I decided it was time to move over to a more suitable DTP platform, and Affinity Publisher was recommended in a blog post I read.

I've only been using it for about a week on editing a book project, first on the free trial, and now the paid version. It's been a bit of a steep learning curve, but with the aid of the video tutorials I'm starting to get the hang of things - although just last night it developed a habit of crashing randomly on me ( I have posted a bug report about this).

Anyway, I look forward to learning some tips and tricks from you all - and to getting my crashing issue sorted out!

Grahame

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-core 3.6GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD, GeForce RTX-3060ti GPU, 64-Bit Windows 11
Affinity Publisher/ Designer/ Photo 1.10.6.1665 and 2.4.1

"I don't do fruit-based technology."

Just to say hello to everyone. Another newbie here. Only had Affinity Photo for a few days and finding my way around. I have what I consider an extensive family photo collection and adding to it regularly with my Nikon camera set up. I have been using Photoshop but now I'm retired, the monthly subscription had to go.🙂 I have set up Adobe Bridge to use as DAM and it's working OK together with Affinity Photo.

Looking to find my way around the software as quickly as possible. I may have a few questions on the way.😕

Just to add, AP works perfectly with XP-Pen Star06c graphics tablet

Edited by brotherboard
missed information

Hi all,

I'm Shep and a long-time user of Adobe CS6, currently in the process of migrating myself over to Photo and Publisher. I work in the tabletop RPG industry as a writer and do book layout for RPG book content. InDesign CS6 has been my life for a long time, so making the move (especially mid-book layout) is proving daunting. I'm very happy to be here though and excited to get fully up to speed on Affinity!

Greetings,

My name is Mark. New user of Affinity products, though I have 35 years of experience with Quark and Adobe products as a professional prepress operator. Shifted careers (Chemist working as a Microbiologist), but wanted to pursue some personal design projects (TTRP supplements, shout out @SubTric) and after research settled on Affinity for bang for the buck (since I am paying for it rather than my employer) and I am really impressed with the features and capabilities at this price point. Other than a few small missing things (not essential), this covers the bases. Hope to be up to speed soon.

Edited by shuddemell

Hi Matt, I have just downloaded this onto my laptop (windows) for a  trial. I am just starting out in photography so have limited knowledge of Affinity or any other system. 

I am not able to find in the tutorials how to get my images from my folders over to Affinity so that I can start to use it, wondering if you could help with this 

@Dorothy Bullivant  Welcome to the forums Dorothy!  Since this is a weekend you may receive help faster if you will post your question in the Forum section devoted to questions for desktop users.   I am not familiar with Windows, so am not at all qualified to help.  But you will surely receive expert help if you create a new topic such as “how do I get my images into Photo from my folders?”   Once you get started you will surely love Photo, and as you browse through that same section of the Forums you will find many, many topics that will teach you so much as you progress!      

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

My name is Wally at wrecio.recio@gmail.com.  I have 12 years experience with photoshop editing with other labels.  I am very curdious about the way facebook introuduced you new background eraser.  I purchased it right away after the demo.  Ever since my purchase on Oct 13, I have been unable to open Affinity because it does not recognize the Key Product given.  Can we please get together and tell me what went wrong on your end?  Thank you very much.  I am at my home office 24-7. Day or night Pacific Time, Anaheim CA 92804.

Hallo

Ich spreche mit Tieren, tanze beim Kochen und singe beim Autofahren. Ich lache gerne. Über mich, das Leben und den ganzen Rest.
Und manchmal auch einfach nur so - ohne Grund.

Zur Zeit beschäftige ich mich mit Affinity Publisher und hoffe auf ein interessantes und lehrreiches Forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Affinity community. I'd like to introduce myself and give you a bit of history on my design work. I am employed at the Canadian Forest Service, Great Lakes Forestry Centre as a Forest Ecology Technician for the past eight years, prior to this position I have worked as a Molecular Biology lab Technician and a Graphic designer at the Great Lakes Forestry Centre.

Back in the day when I was employed as a lab tech I was introduced to Corel Draw V3 which we used to create presentation slides and charts (there was no PowerPoint back then) and then when I worked as graphic designer we used Adobe Illustrator because all designers throughout Canada were on MAC's and to be honest I hated Illustrator 🤮.

Disclosure - I respect people that use Adobe Illustrator and I mean no disrespect to those people.

Then... when I changed careers and became a Forest Ecology Technician I reverted back to using Corel Draw V7 for illustrations and mapping, I really enjoyed Corel Draw. At my home office I use a MAC pro G5 with Parallels to run Corel and it worked out fine but found it a long process to start up Windows on the MAC just to use Corel Draw.

Now jump to the COVID-19 pandemic and a friend of mine DC mentioned to me about a program by Affinity, I downloaded the trials for both Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo and REALLY enjoyed the programs and bought both right away.

Over the past few months I have a good understanding of Affinity Designer and use it for all my work.

Whewwww... that was a long intro.

My work isn't fancy but I have included one of many maps of our Jack pine (Pinus banksiana) 🌲 research areas in northern Ontario created in Affinity Designer.

Cheers and be safe!

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 06.42.23 AM.png

• 2 weeks later...

After 25 plus years of designing I’m pretty hyped to try something new as there hasn’t been anything new in over 20 years. I’m from the Aldus/Macromedia generation that switched over to Adobe after the buyout. This looks and feels like some great design software. It’s actually exciting again to design and not get hit in the wallet every month with stuff I don’t need. Looking forward to Affinity’s future in the design software market. Really wish I knew of a good Type Manager that could rival Suitcase without added fluff and price.

On 10/27/2020 at 9:00 PM, wally & elva said:

My name is Wally at wrecio.recio@gmail.com.  I have 12 years experience with photoshop editing with other labels.  I am very curdious about the way facebook introuduced you new background eraser.  I purchased it right away after the demo.  Ever since my purchase on Oct 13, I have been unable to open Affinity because it does not recognize the Key Product given.  Can we please get together and tell me what went wrong on your end?  Thank you very much.  I am at my home office 24-7. Day or night Pacific Time, Anaheim CA 92804.

If you have not already received an answer from the Serif support staff, you might post your inquiry into the Forum section “Customer Service . . “.  Someone should be able to help you to get up and running!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

On 11/16/2020 at 7:07 AM, MarkPrima said:

Hello Affinity community. I'd like to introduce myself and give you a bit of history on my design work. I am employed at the Canadian Forest Service, Great Lakes Forestry Centre as a Forest Ecology Technician for the past eight years, prior to this position I have worked as a Molecular Biology lab Technician and a Graphic designer at the Great Lakes Forestry Centre.

Back in the day when I was employed as a lab tech I was introduced to Corel Draw V3 which we used to create presentation slides and charts (there was no PowerPoint back then) and then when I worked as graphic designer we used Adobe Illustrator because all designers throughout Canada were on MAC's and to be honest I hated Illustrator 🤮.

Disclosure - I respect people that use Adobe Illustrator and I mean no disrespect to those people.

Then... when I changed careers and became a Forest Ecology Technician I reverted back to using Corel Draw V7 for illustrations and mapping, I really enjoyed Corel Draw. At my home office I use a MAC pro G5 with Parallels to run Corel and it worked out fine but found it a long process to start up Windows on the MAC just to use Corel Draw.

Now jump to the COVID-19 pandemic and a friend of mine DC mentioned to me about a program by Affinity, I downloaded the trials for both Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo and REALLY enjoyed the programs and bought both right away.

Over the past few months I have a good understanding of Affinity Designer and use it for all my work.

Whewwww... that was a long intro.

My work isn't fancy but I have included one of many maps of our Jack pine (Pinus banksiana) 🌲 research areas in northern Ontario created in Affinity Designer.

Cheers and be safe!

Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 06.42.23 AM.png

Really nice.  You should post this in the Forums section: Share Your Work!!!

20 hours ago, Texasrpbrock said:

Really wish I knew of a good Type Manager that could rival Suitcase without added fluff and price.

I switched to FontAgent Pro years ago and it has worked great for me. It is from Insider Software. I am on Mac's exclusively, but FAP also comes in a Windows version for PC users.