You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

Good morning all,

I am Brandon from Dearborn, Michigan, USA. I work in IT Innovation by day, doing xReality simulations in Unreal for VR and HoloLens, and aspiring game developer and graphic artist by night. I had picked up the Affinity Trinity a couple months ago and for the first month only used it for refactoring my logo and also to refactor a few glyphs in my game. Since then, I have started watching tutorials and doing. I have started to create some arts to sell on clothing and posters (I really like the displate products), and am also working on making my own fabric patterns as I also tailor as a hobby and I have ideas for my own prints to make, use, and sell. The brush engine is amazing and I do plan on learning how to use it to make my own.

For many years I would use gimp and inkscape for my needs, and upon my first use of Designer and Photo I realized I should have purchased these long ago. I have not yet used Publisher other than to launch it a couple times, and really should study tutorials as well as the materials you provide - which, thank you for providing the example projects for each of these - so that I can understand how it works and where I can use it. I love how all three work seamlessly with each others' native files. As I also use Flame Painter and other Escape Motions software and started again using Black Ink from Bleank where they meet a need or I know how to more easily accomplish a task, I love how easy it is to place an image into a Designer or Photo document and set them to be assets for later use; is it possible to export assets from Designer and import them into Photo? I may just be missing something obvious.

Currently I am using a Huion drawing tablet which is six years old and so the pen no longer holds a charge and requires being plugged in all the time to work, so I'm now looking to see what I can upgrade to.

On 6/7/2020 at 10:16 AM, Cybin Talus said:

Good morning all,

is it possible to export assets from Designer and import them into Photo? 

Welcome to the forums. Cybin.  Absolutely.  At the top right of your Assets Panel in Designer, there is a little “hamburger” icon.  Highlight the Asset you want to export and then click on the hamburger icon.   You will find several options including Import and Export.  Click on EXPORT.  You will be directed to choose a location (I usually use Desktop for starters).   Then open Photo, open your Asset Panel (VIEW>STUDIO>Assets) and click on its hamburger menu.  Choose NEW CATEGORY, then click on that in the Panel (it will appear at the bottom of your list of assets), click the hamburger icon, choose RENAME, and then after you have the new category with the new name, click on that, go to the hamburger icon, and choose IMPORT.  Photo will send you to your files, where you locate your exported asset.  Click on that, OPEN, and it will appear in your Asset panel.   I have also created individual backup folders for brushes, assets, styles, palettes, etc. so that if I ever have to restart one of the apps, I don’t lose everything into the Great Beyond. 

Hope this isn’t “clear as mud.”😷

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Hi all;

My name is Ruud Kuin from Alkmaar (cheese-capital of) Holland/Netherlands.

Been a longtime of the Adobe Suite (even before it became called Suite), I only learned of Affinity last week...
Tested it a few days and decided to buy the 3 applications today, the move from Adobe can't be that hard!
Bought it for my one-man company Studio Kaaskop, you'll find it!

Hope to find a lot of answers in this forum, although the tutorial video's have been pretty helpful already.

Edited by RuudKuin

3 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

Welcome to the forums. Cybin.  Absolutely.  At the top right of your Assets Panel in Designer, there is a little “hamburger” icon.  Highlight the Asset you want to export and then click on the hamburger icon.   You will find several options including Import and Export.  Click on EXPORT.  You will be directed to choose a location (I usually use Desktop for starters).   Then open Photo, open your Asset Panel (VIEW>STUDIO>Assets) and click on its hamburger menu.  Choose NEW CATEGORY, then click on that in the Panel (it will appear at the bottom of your list of assets), click the hamburger icon, choose RENAME, and then after you have the new category with the new name, click on that, go to the hamburger icon, and choose IMPORT.  Photo will send you to your files, where you locate your exported asset.  Click on that, OPEN, and it will appear in your Asset panel.   I have also created individual backup folders for brushes, assets, styles, palettes, etc. so that if I ever have to restart one of the apps, I don’t lose everything into the Great Beyond. 

Hope this isn’t “clear as mud.”😷

Thank for the welcome! Yeah, it was as easy as that, and I'm laughing that I didn't see the hamburger menu in photo for the Assets panel before :D

Hi, I'm a long time Serif user and now Affinity. My question ? Does any of the Affinity programs have the ability to scan an image. PP9 has this ability, but APublisher and APhoto doesn't seem to have this function. I'm about to purchase ADesigner in addition to the other two and really need scanning capability in all three.

Sandy Rivkin

Hi, I'm new here.

I have been using PagePlus X9 for the last few years to create a society publication printed 4x a year. For the most part this has served well, though more recently it has started to feel a bit clunky and crashing more (this could be Windows however).

Anyway, the Society took the opportunity to purchase licences for the Affinity 1.8.x suite with the pandemic 50% offer. I'm now starting to get my head around the new software as I start the process to produce the next issue in the software, the pandemic giving more time for this due to printers being unable to fulfil at this time. So far so good, early days though, but I can already see how much more powerful Affinity Publisher is over PagePlus.

Hello everyone,

Yesterday I assisted my niece to purchase and download APhoto, AD and Apub over telephone, she is about 1000 Kms from where I live.
Just completing graduation in Fashion Design, I suggested to purchase the three packages and start learning and using it for designs,
photo shoot, drawings etc. She is practically new to such softwares and has only little knowledge in PS. I told her that Affinity will be very useful
for her work and there are several tutorials etc for beginners. Tonight, I have to assist her on installing the packages. My brother is a surgeon, not
well versed in these areas ! I told her that I will help her to get started with the basics and from thereon, with the help of many videos, further progress can be made.

Thanks to Serif for this wonderful softwares and the 50% discount(will end on june 20th)

Hi, another new user - transferring to Affinity from Adobe as it won't run on my work mac anymore after the recent Catalina upgrade. I'm going to use Affinity on my personal laptop so I am evaluating Photo and Designer at the moment. It looks like I'm going to lose some things such as the ability to import and draw over video (Photoshop) but here are still lots of positives in the swap.

I'll be surfing quietly for a while as I get used to the software but I'm discovering some important differences like select/copy paste not working quite as expected - surprised to find I pasted a layer rather than a selection but after research I found that makes sense now.

One thing I'd like to ask - how people are finding Affinity for digital painting using screen tablet as opposed to image editing? I used both vector and raster brushes for painting so I'm hoping pressure sensitivity is supported and a good variety of brushes available?

Edited by Aphil-personal

On 6/16/2020 at 5:24 PM, Aphil-personal said:

Hi, another new user - transferring to Affinity from Adobe as it won't run on my work mac anymore after the recent Catalina upgrade. I'm going to use Affinity on my personal laptop so I am evaluating Photo and Designer at the moment. It looks like I'm going to lose some things such as the ability to import and draw over video (Photoshop) but here are still lots of positives in the swap.

I'll be surfing quietly for a while as I get used to the software but I'm discovering some important differences like select/copy paste not working quite as expected - surprised to find I pasted a layer rather than a selection but after research I found that makes sense now.

One thing I'd like to ask - how people are finding Affinity for digital painting using screen tablet as opposed to image editing? I used both vector and raster brushes for painting so I'm hoping pressure sensitivity is supported and a good variety of brushes available?

Hi Aphil,

I have been using Affinity for a couple months now and I use a drawing tablet, and can say that pressure sensitivity is supported and that both Designer and Photo come with a nice set of brushes; you can also find some free brushes here in the forums. I have picked up a couple brush sets from the Affinity store as well as from gumroad, and even started to create my own; here is a good video from Olivio Sarikas Design your own brushes.

Edited by Cybin Talus

20 minutes ago, Sandy Rivkin said:

ok, found the info and will not be able to scan from within the Affinity suite. Serif blamed it on Microsoft windows. Works with a Mac.

This thread is about new forum users.

If you want help on an issue like scanning integration, better start a new thread with your question.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to introduce myself here.
I lack etiquette at some point.
I don't like to get emotional when it comes to dealing with things.
Deal with questions in the most direct way.
This is my way. (Although sometimes rough)

I am a professional user of affinity photos.
I use it for digital painting.

If you have any comments about me,
I will humbly listen to your teachings.
If I think you're right,
I will accept your suggestion without reservation.

I'm always outspoken.

The more restricted you put on the program, the closer you program is to idiot.

Hello everyone!

I'm Cara, a long-time user of Serif products. I was active on the old forums when I used WebPlus several years ago. I've recently rekindled my love for web design and have been using Affinity Designer to create graphics for another website building platform (although I'm quietly hoping Affinity will bring out their own website building package).

• Staff

@MrNSC

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

It's quite late here in the UK but if there are any international users or night owls here please help Neil with a collage

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 7/11/2020 at 4:06 PM, davelsc said:

Yes, Cara, would be great if Affinity did their own website building package. (Maybe they'll hear us.) Fingers crossed. :)

Serif, before switching to Affinity, did have a website creation package, and offered hosting too.  Webplus 8 is no longer sold, although you can buy it on places like Amazon and Ebay.  I doubt you can register it though.  The hosting was withdrawn in 2019.   Serif still host a community support forum for it.

This really annoyed my sister, who had been using Webplus and the hosting service for a couple of family sites.

On 7/13/2020 at 8:26 AM, Brunnian said:

I doubt you can register it though.

There is no need to register, but you can use the Universal Registration Key 881887 so that the registration nag screen no longer appears.

On 7/13/2020 at 8:26 AM, Brunnian said:

This really annoyed my sister, who had been using Webplus and the hosting service for a couple of family sites.

WebPlus X8 still works, and it generates standard HTML5 code, so you can use almost any hosting service.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 1 month later...