You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

Hi, all.  everybody calls me Yogi.  Harks back to CB Radio days.  I am an end user of Serif products and have been since PP3.  I have had almost every version up to an including PP X8.  What I need to know is, when will the affinity version of PP be available and who do I contact to join the bet testing programme.

Keep up the good work guys.  Affinity Photo is brilliant but when are we going to get the manuals?

Hey guys. Introducing myself here. I'm working on a new Squarespace website and wanted something to create basic graphics, including simple Pinterest type graphics for people to post on Facebook and Pinterest. I know just a smidgen about how to use programs like Illustrator and Photoshop, but need help with the littlest of things on Affinity Designer, like how to get a background color on the page. I finally figured that one out ... and that's as far as I've gotten on my first little project. ;)

Hence, I'm now off to post my first question.

Jenna

Hi, all.  everybody calls me Yogi.  Harks back to CB Radio days.  I am an end user of Serif products and have been since PP3.  I have had almost every version up to an including PP X8.  What I need to know is, when will the affinity version of PP be available and who do I contact to join the bet testing programme.

Hey Yogi,

The beta testing phase will begin when the builds are ready to be tested and will be available through the website; you will need to sign up in order to obtain this.

The scheduled release date of the Affinity Publisher Beta is Q1 2016, and there will be an announcement when this is ready.

Adam

:)

Hi Fred, welcome to the forums.

The best way to get help, from the Devs, Mods and fellow users is to go to the Questions section...

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/5-questions/

This should put you straight.

HTH

peter

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

Keep up the good work guys.  Affinity Photo is brilliant but when are we going to get the manuals

Breaker, Breaker Yogi!

There are no manuals as yet, so the wait is inevitable. If a fellow APu Beta user, can produce an equivalent of the Pumpkin tutorial (an AD tutorial, Thanks Mike!), it's just a pipe dream. We need the help files on paper! There will be help Vimeo and YouTube as time goes by.

Start off here to see what exists for AD and APh

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/3334-some-sort-of-manual/

As for the testing programme, this is called (Affinity Publisher Beta) APu Beta and will be launched here in the forums, after the start of 2016 :mellow:. Long wait, I know. This will be several months before the MAS release of V1.0. 

HTH

peter

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

Hi guys.

My name is Miloš, I am comic book letterer and typeface designer (focused mostly on comic book fonts) from Slovakia. These days I am switching from PC to Mac and I hope I will be able to use Affinity Photo or Designer instead of Photoshop on a daily basis. I noticed that same features which are important for work with my clients are still missing - export editable text layer from AP/AD to PSD not just as rasterized layer - but there are few nice details which I found very interesting and useful for me, especially vector / shape tools and export slices.

Hopefully Affinity Photo and Designer will be better and better. ;)

MM

Hello, I'm Tino from Spain. I've just acquired Affinity and it's a great good surprise.

I´m a quite old Photoshop user but it I'm sure Affinity is gonna be a my favourite tool in some time. At the moment I've just watched at the online tutorials but it seems really really great.

Hope I'll be ready to professionally use it in a reasonable delay of time and i'll be also ready to forget Photoshop (and it's prices policy)  :)

I'll certainly ask for help in this forum, Affinity seems a complex and very complete tool, and it's not easy to forget years of Photoshop usage. But I'll do...

Thaks, Affinity crew. Keep raising 

Hello to all and to Serif Products.

Like most I have been using Adobe Photoshop for years, but decided to take the plunge by paying my forty quid via the iStore to purchase Affinity Photo, and I must admit I am not disappointed.

I approached the program with a clear mind, and dispite a few stumbles on my part I must admit to being very impressed with the product so far.

The software is a fine piece of work for a very fair price, which I know I will support in the coming future.

Well done Serif Products, you certainly have become the David to Adobes Goliath by designing a very fine piece of software.

Brian

Hi Guys and greetings to all,

My name is Bruce but every one calls me Simmo. I am a web developer/graphic designer from Australia and have been in the business for a loooong time.

I am hoping that Affinity Designer and Photo will be a way forward for me to get off the Adobe tread mill - dont like subscriptions nor do I like to be dictated too by people I do business with.

Have found another great tool (Pinegrow) for web design which is developing well  - so as Designer and Photo develop and add just a few more things like a good tracing engine and maybe 3D rendering  in the tool box we are looking good for the future and a path away from Adobe.

So off to go play and learn 

Thanks Affinity team for the effort and I look forward to a long future with your software - which so far seems simply awesome! :)

Kind Regards

Simmo

Hi!  New user here.  My Photoshop CS5 won't run on my Mac w/o a serious down-rev of Flash (why does CS use Flash???) and I don't really want to do the monthly rental thing.  So I found Affinity Photo.  Glad I did.  :)  I do mostly automotive and amateur racing on the side.

Hi guys.

My name is Miloš, I am comic book letterer and typeface designer (focused mostly on comic book fonts) from Slovakia. These days I am switching from PC to Mac and I hope I will be able to use Affinity Photo or Designer instead of Photoshop on a daily basis. I noticed that same features which are important for work with my clients are still missing - export editable text layer from AP/AD to PSD not just as rasterized layer - but there are few nice details which I found very interesting and useful for me, especially vector / shape tools and export slices.

Hopefully Affinity Photo and Designer will be better and better. ;)

MM

Hi Miloš,

Welcome to the forums. Take a look at this, it should be of interest to you.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/2443-the-pumpkin-tutorial/

HTH

peter

Hi Im Gary C and Im a pro photog and videographer. I have been looking for awhile for a Photo editing program  so I wouldn't have to use light room or Adobe CC. I work for Apple so we all know we aren't supporting Aperture.  

Then Affinity photo came a long and wow I liked what I saw. I have been using Onone perfect photo and for my RAW files Phase one capture 8, but really like what I see in affinity photo. I think this is the one a lot pf pros are going to turn to And with updates and a few bits and bobs her and there, I really feel this will give photographers of all levels a program that will help their editing needs.

Hi All

I'm Nicole from Washington state, USA. I was an avid Serif customer until I switched to my Mac, although I've continued to recommend the company to my Windows friends - great customer service, intuitive products, and fabulous prices.

Since Photoshop came with my beloved Mac, I've made myself try to use it, but I hated it. I was soooo excited to see these new programs! I'm using Affinity primarily to do post-production on 3D renders for my book covers, and Affinity is going to be perfect!

Thank you!!!!

Hi folks, I just discovered this app today, Apparently, this is only sold on the app store so I am not sure I will be able to come fully to the table. That is too bad as this seems to be a brilliant piece of software, or "kit" as the developers probably say. ;-)  I loved Pixelmater and I was greatly saddened that after v1 they went 100% app store.  I can still use v1 but have not upgraded after that. I use Acorn which is OK, just. I declined upgrading to their latest as It is just OK, "meh". But Acorn will allow purchase and upgrades independent of the app store so they are still alive in my book.

I have used Quark, Illustrator, Freehand and a few other apps in the past. I have done some web development and though currently I am dormant in that area I recently updated my license for Rapidweaver. Much of the art I make is for web deployment or illustration of my models I am writing about.

For me It always comes down to left brain and right brain thinking. Software can be brilliant but those who write tutorials often don't know how to describe It. From my perspective dumbing down software for the average user should not have to mean actually removing features. The best software is designed so that if you really do have a poor memory, when you next approach a project It won't take all your time to relearn It. 

This is an introduction, and that was important to say because, I strongly dislike modern Adobe subscription schemes or being forced to do business through the app store before I am allowed to do business on my own. Color me, strongly independent. Not throwing mud at the app store per se, although I dislike how upgrades are handled, discounts and sales are discouraged, and a few other things. I am currently back in school so student discounts are always appreciated, something usually not allowed in the app store.

I am highly creative and poorly organized. I have talent in writing, music, speaking, photography, and graphic design. I have been working through some internal "issues" related to a head injury and some other things I won't get into here. I very much appreciated seeing the layout of the tools and the design of this software offering. I have to say, It looks like a great and user friendly design. If anything will get me over my dislike of the app store It is this app. I will optimistically hold out hope that the development team may at some point also make this available to non app store people like myself.

Added: I now have a profile blurb about my take on photography.

Edited by levelbest
I have just returned to this forum and have finally purchased a license for Affinity Photo.

Yowza peeps! most folks call me stu, but s2art works as well.

I'm so pleased a real alternative to photoshop is showing itself. I hope to see a few features added soon such as clipping in levels, on a per channel basis of course, how else am I going to colour correct my scans :)

You can see some of my digital and analogue photography here, http://stunik.com/koken/albums/

My flickr, is https://www.flickr.com/photos/s2art/albums

My tumblr is here, http://s2z.tumblr.com

Instagram here, https://instagram.com/s2art/no post no filters, just a cropped & curated image stream

My general website/portal is http://stuarts.photos

I work here, http://pic.org.au/

Looking forward to getting my hands dirty with Affinity Photo App!

Laterz peepz!

Photoshop is the worst thing that ever happened to photography period.

http://stuarts.photos

https://www.flickr.com/photos/s2art/albums

https://instagram.com/s2art/

http://s2z.tumblr.com

Hi I am from Uk I converted to Mac two years ago and would never go back I love everything about it. I used photoshop until it changed to pay monthly and then moved to gimp which they have done many great things with but it's messy then I saw photo and love it at moment going through tutorials and any info I can find to help my learning curve

I write too so I am looking forward to that hint of publisher

Keep up he good work I will leave feedback on apple app shop today too

Here comes yet another (soon to be) Adobe refugee... 

I'm a communication designer and part-time geek, addicted to tea. My areas are quite broad, but I mostly operate in UI design and print, along with illustration here and there. As many on this forum, I've been using Adobe for many years, since it was the only software that met professional standards. As a linux/unix geek, I tried hard to give some open source software a chance, but that one didn't go down well. Apart from the badly done UI's, the functionality is nowhere near what I need it to be. That threw me right back to Adobe. 

After they pushed their subscription/cloud model down their users throats I already started to panic that some day the software I paid for won't be supported anymore and I'd be stuck with an outdated OS or hardware. This is quite limiting and oppressive, to say the least. I also find the notion very disturbing, that by subscribing, the software you pay for can never be "yours". It takes away agency and I am not willing to support such philosophy. 

That being said, I am thrilled to see Affinity coming along. I have tried it out, I was impressed with what I saw so far. But since I am depending on a seamless workflow, I am unable to switch just yet, but I see the day coming. Once I can fully dump Adobe in the trash, I'll have a shot or two. :)

--

design by pxlgirl | http://www.designbypxlgirl.com

Hello all, I’m Ken and just started using Designer and Photo and they seem to work for me where other applications just left me scratching my head in confusion  Photography and illustration are hobbies which I’m just getting into so I’m looking to tapping into all the knowledge here.

Greetings,

I started using Adobe apps in the late 80s/early 90s (Illustrator v 1 and Photoshop v 2) in the printing industry.

I've purchased upgrades for roughly every other version since then - up to CS5 - and decided (sadly) that Adobe was no longer an option for me, for reasons that I'm sure you understand.

I run Lion as my main OS, so I wasn't able to really check out Pixelmator - but I checked out Acorn, Inkscape, Seashore, Gimp, etc. (Please don't force me to upgrade my OS, Serif!)

With Affinity, it looks like I'm ready to switch. Downloaded the trials, watched the tutorials, and purchased both apps about an hour later, and grabbed the betas as well. :D

I'm EXTREMELY pleased and impressed by these apps - Kudos to the devs!

I've opened some pretty complex .ai and .psd files with absolutely no problems so far... which is incredible to me.

As I dig deeper into the apps, I hope to post some feedback/feature requests in the appropriate forum - but from what I'm seeing right now, I suspect it might be minimal.

Hello,

My name is Kyle and I live in the U.S.A. I am a graphic designer and Illustrator who uses Adobe and Affinity products everyday. I came here to learn more about Affinity's Designer and Photo. Hopefully I can give some positive/constructive feedback as well to help make these apps even better.

Kyle