You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

Hi there!

I'm brand new to Affinity and purchased Photo and Designer over Black Friday.

Originally trained as a photographer and have always used Photoshop. When I lost my job I lost my access to Adobe CC and couldn't afford my own personal CC subscription, so haven't done any personal work for a long while.

Fast forward to this year and I have started a new career as a pattern cutter, so will be looking into using Designer to create sewing patterns. 

Hi Affinities,

here’s another Black Friday convert. Affinity Photo was in my toolkit for a couple of years, to replace some simple PS stuff. My preferred digital darkroom is DXO Photolab though. 

This year I made a career change and as a result I have to write quite some reports. To make them look good, I thought to give Publisher a spin. And while checking the interface, I noticed that it connects Photo and Designer seamlessly. At that moment I decided to take the jump and get Designer as well, and also both books.

Eagerly waiting for those books to arrive, which was the incentive to subscribe to these forums. I’m looking forward to learn all about the Affinity trinity and in case i need some help or advice, I won’t hesitate to ask here at the forums. 

cheers,

Jérôme 

Hi. 

My name is Hugh. I'm the partner of Nicole van der Wolf. She's a jeweller and goldsmith.  Use case is to mock-up designs without having to make them in metal. Particularly gold....expensive to make prototypes in metal. 

Anyway, I'm the tech in the pair. She's the artist. https://nicolevanderwolf.com 

Wotapalaver is just the forum name. 

H

I think it would be pretty awesome to have a replacement for Lightroom.

It would also be cool to have scripting capability for the apps. I used to use an ExtendScript for Photoshop to automate creating titles for Final Cut Pro X. Read a delimited text file, drop fields into text layers, save as, repeat. Then Catalina happened and my CS4 is history. Short term solution is a python program to create an XML file that FCPX can import. Best long term solution is scripting for Photo and Designer. But I'd rather have a Lightroom replacement.

Thanks a bunch… these tools are nice.

Almost forgot… I'm a retired HP Engineering Director with just enough right brain to impersonate a musician, photographer & videographer. It does seem to get more convincing as time goes on.

I'd like to congratulate the developers. I work in the design industry: my first design software included Illustrator '88, Photoshop version 2 (pre-layers!), and Aldus Illustrator (became Macromedia, became Adobe, then died). I've used a lot of design software. With Affinity I think you've bested the ancient Adobe apps with price, performance, features and usability, and produced world class software. And I'm in love with Pixel Persona in Designer.

Keep up the great work, thank you for letting me escape the 'Creative Cloud'.

Hi 

My name is Giovanni Pietri, (english isn't my first language, so, sorry if I do something funny here), Recently I purchased Affinity Publisher, because I need the software for work purposes, editing and building books, newspapers and magazines and other things. Was not a easy step to move from a VERY OLD piece of software from the prehistoric ages: Ventura (that was abbandoned by their creators about 16 years ago), I was trying with Publisher, Quark Xpress, InDesign and others for many years, but those software don´t fill the boots of Ventura. My first concern in this world of editing and publishing serious stuff,  is the use of typography in a detailed way, and I look for a tool that allows me to fine-tune every word and every sign in the publications... it seems that I have found the exact tool! I hope Affinity Publisher is that chimerical program I've been waiting for for so long.

that's all for the moment!

Giovanni

8 minutes ago, Mariya786 said:

Hi, I'm Mariya Gomez and a new member of this community. I would like to share my gained knowledge and experience with other members of this forum and need rules and regulations. 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/guidelines/ 

I would suggest 'lurking' for a while, read the topics and replies then jump in when you have something worthwhile to add.

And Welcome.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

One rule I occasionally see overlooked: 

• You may not distribute or otherwise publish any material containing any solicitation of funds, promotion, advertising, or solicitation for goods or services.

Gray line I realize, especially when promoting sell of brushes, styles, etc., when linked with YouTube tutorials.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

Hi, everyone!

I’m an artist, graphic designer and happy to be here. :14_relaxed:

I love the ease of use in all apps and being able to work cross-platform on the PC and iPad. I can’t wait for Publisher on the iPad! 

Thanks, Serif, for the wonderful software and making it non-subscription to boot.

Wishlist: calligraphic vector brush, blend/replicate tool, vector pattern feature

Hi everyone! I'm a graphic artist with about 15 years of experience with Adobe products, and I've primarily worked with Illustrator and Photoshop. I've already purchased both Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo. I don't know if I'll be able to transition away from Adobe completely, but I'm curious to see how it compares and how much I can do with it. I'm excited to learn this new software and become part of the Affinity community.

Hi everyone. I'm Cazz from St. Neots, Cambridgeshire, UK.

For many years, I have been using Serif Craft Artist Professional (I still use it to this day on another computer - it's a great piece of software. 

I resisted making the jump to Affinity Designer as programs such as Adobe Illustrator scare me lol, and in all honesty, AD did (does) too. I have no graphic design qualifications and am all self taught. 

So why did I take the plunge? Well, I have plenty of time on my hands for a few weeks now due to a broken ankle and hate not doing anything. 

So here I am and here's my first design using some lovely smoke & fog brushes kindly uploaded by a member a while ago (apologies, I can't remember their name).

Looking forward to learning more ....

Let the journey commence.......................................

STAR MAN.jpg

Good morning from Florida, USA!

My name is Heather. I was a professional designer for over a decade before I left that job, in 2010, to be a full time mom. I worked as an in-house designer mostly producing direct mail advertising, catalogues, and large scale pieces for trade shows and conferences. Now that my daughter is in middle school I have a lot more time on my hands. Back over the summer, I decided to get back into design work and I’m learning to run my own business.

Over Thanksgiving, I took a deep breath, jumped in, and traded in my 13 yo MAC with Illustrator and Photoshop CS3 and Quark 9 for a brand new PC and all 3 Affinity programs. I also bought Designer for my iPad.

I’ve never been a fan of Illustrator. (Perhaps…somewhere deep down…I still resent Adobe for acquiring Macromedia and doing away with Freehand. )

I’ve spent the last few weeks watching tutorials and playing catch-up to 10 years of technology advancements. I’ve been very impressed with the Extreme ease of transitioning my MAC Adobe files to Affinity on my PC. So far, I’ve spent most of my time in Designer and a little time with Publisher. I’m finding Designer tools to be much more intuitive and responsive. I look forward to learning more.

@Cazz I do hope your ankle gets better soon — or at least the first painful broken bones bit goes away.   I like your first attempt!!  I posted my first pass with Designer about 5 minutes after I downloaded the software just before Christmas last year.  The forum members were apparently appalled.  I thought I was being funny with my creation, but they were obviously unamused.  Several hundred people viewed the topic (under Share Your Work: “And Then There Is THIS”).  Precisely 2 people evidently got the joke.  I predict a vastly different future for you!!!  Happy New Year and a swift departure from crutches.

Jennifer

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Greetings from Galicia (Spain).

My name is Xabi and this summer I purchased Affinity Photo. Photography is one of my passions and each day I am more interested in the creative ways of photography and digital design.

I hope learning a lot in this  forum and also have new friendships

Cheers!

Good morning all ! 

My name is Jason Cheperuk from Long Island NY ..

I am a Real estate agent so my main purpose of buying the affinity programs was for making , logos , email headers , flyers and other marketing type of material. But I was into design work a long time ago and also am looking to get back into it for the fun of it ..I am currently on the market for a entry level DSLR camera  so I can work on my own personal photos as well . 

I look forward to having lots of questions answered as I learn this amazing program over time.

Edited by GoodIntentions

Afternoon everyone!

I am first time PC user for Affinity Photo. I have had the iPad version for some time now. Prior to all of that, I use to use that "OTHER" software.. haha.. Im looking to get back into my design again. I use to really enjoy designing my own custom designs. Here's a toast to 2020 and Happy New Year to all of you!

Hi I'm Stu,

I'm a scrum master and content developer who picked up affinity for an educational project as we needed to create some PDF documentation to go along with it. I'm by no means a designer but I managed to make something for our client that they loved, using Affinity. I've messed around with various packages before but was really pleased with how easy it was to pick up. Especially compared to ID or Scribus which I've used for projects in the past.

Been using forum posts to help with small queries and decided I should probably join given the frequency with which I visited. 

I'm a retired book paginator (who still freelances quite a bit). I've been using InDesign since version 1 and only just discovered Affinity a few weeks ago. After trying out Publisher for a few hours I was immensely impressed--especially when I opened a PDF and it was completely editable--so I bought it right away. I'm going to do the same with Photo, which will be replacing a very old version of Photoshop that is a bit wonky running in High Sierra.

It's so interesting watching this suite of applications grow and mature and I'm enjoying being a part of it. You've come a long way since Serif Page Plus (which I once had on a Windows PC so many moons ago)!!!

Hello everyone..... I'm Wayne and have been using Page Plus for over 24 years. Started doing Newsletters for a Flying Model club in Jamaica and then moved to Atlanta (USA) 22 years ago. I'm still flying model airplanes but moved over to Turbine Jet models 2 years ago. My real business is embroidery, which I still have www.sewbusy.com   but my passion is flying.

I still do flyers for club competition events, and I recently tried out the Affinity Publisher  (for Windows). It was a very easy transition for me. I'm very happy with the software and I'm sure I will expand with the other software available here.

THANKS for great programs over these many years! Here is an example of a flyer  I did for the NATIONAL Event for 2020. I used a template from my old Page Plus X7
Wayne

2020 NATS.png

Edited by SewBusy