You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

• Staff

@pixelramen

Welcome (back) to the Affinity forums. These are very interesting. Can I suggest you put some of your work into the Share your work forum also.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hello all.  I'm new to Affinity Photo and to the forum.  I'm a former LR user and occasionally dabbled in GIMP and PS Elements as well as tried a couple of other trial versions. So far I'm blown away by how well AP is working for me and I'm happy to find that the community seems very helpful.  Looking forward to exploring some new techniques.

Cheers.

Hi all, my name is Chris from Auckland New Zealand. I've been in the industry for a long time - way before computers took over the design process.
After 20 years as a creative in Advertising, I got out and set up a small design business.
I've been using Adobe products since CS2 and bought CS6 as Adobe moved to the subscription business model.
I stuck with Windows 7 until recently - the end of support in January 2020 forced me to upgrade to Win 10.

I had been looking for an alternative to Adobe because an earlier attempt to run CS6 on Win 10 had been a disaster and cost me $500 for an IT guy to fix. I found Serif by chance on a youtube video and after a bit of research I bought Photo, Designer and Publisher - I'm hoping they will replace PSD, AI and INDD as these are the programs I use every day.

So far I've limited my training to Affinity Designer as I have a project that includes a lot of isometric illustrations. It's taking a bit of time to adjust and lose the urge to complete a task using AI methods but the more I learn, the more I like it.

Right now I'm just hungry for as many tutorials as I can find. Looking forward to incorporating the whole package into my workflow.

Cheers all

Hello everybody.

My name is Giuseppe Improta and I am a Visual Artist living in BC, Canada.

I have worked for almost 20 years in the Computer Graphics world and I supervise lighting and lookdev in high-end VFX productions.
I am also a cinematographer and photographer.
I also have a YouTube channel for Computer Graphics and specifically for lighting for artists (LightDark Academy).

I switched recently to the Affinity suite from the Adobe world for my photography business and so far I am happy.

I hope to be able to give useful and constructive suggestions to improve these already great products and maybe help somebody else creating good stuff.

Cheers!
G. Improta

Edited by Giuseppe "Goose" Improta

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

My name is Rob, I'm a professional illustrator/animator based in Ireland. I also have a huge interest in sound design and music too.

I've been using Macromedia (or should I say Adobe) Flash for most of my career (that was a long time ago!). I've made the switch over to Affinity and I'm so glad I did.

Looking forward to chatting on the forum!

Cheers,

Rob.

Hi everyone, I'm Anthony Cornett. I've been working in the design world for nearly 20 years, much of those within the Adobe platform. While I've worked in digital and print advertisement, web design, and promotional product imprinting, my current focus is book design. I've been using InDesign for this for some years, and still use Photoshop and Illustrator to assist in the process. Or, I should say, I USED to. I am now dedicating myself to the Affinity platform. I look forward to following the development, and would love to see some necessary features implemented in the Publisher app for my use as a book designer and publisher. I'll head over to the feature request forums to see what's been happening. Thanks again!

Hello, I'm Affinmac, would just like to say to all involved at Affinity, congrats and well done for standing up for all creatives ( especially students) by taking the war to Adobe with the Affinity products, Adobe, a bunch of money-grabbing gangsters. if yous find yourselves at any point completely overtaking Adobe in the production and development of creative software for the masses, never give in to them, whatever you do, don't let them try to buy you out 

• 2 weeks later...

Good morning

My name is Dave, a newbie to Affinity Photo. I would like to say, even though I have only been a photographer for a short time, your Affinity Photo program is excellent.

I take photos of nature and wildlife here in South Florida.

I have tried many programs in the past 3 to 4 years, from the simple programs to Adobe products. And I have finally chosen Affinity for my program of choice for my editing. In my opinion, Affinity has made great progress in a very short time and will probably be the go to program for editing in the future. It seems very easy to learn for beginners like me, and your videos are incredible and easy to understand. Like very much the no subscription needed.

Thank you so much for such a fantastic program.. I am surely going to have a lot of questions for you

Have a great day.. keep up the great work everyone...

Dave Green

• Staff

Dave Green

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) and thank you for your kind words.

If you or any of the posters here have any Affinity Photo processed pictures you would like to post in this sharing forum I am sure others would be interested.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hi,

My name is Nanne van Vondelen from the netherlands and I am using Photo and Publisher.

I love to make photo's and I use Affinity now for over 1 year and I love it. I just bought Publisher so I am wonderen around the program now. First impression is great.

I hope I can use this forum to increase my skills and hopefully I can help you if you have questions. 

Hi everyone, James here from Canada and I've been a freelance artist and graphic designer (with a recent degree and everything) for the last decade. I'm moving over to Designer, Photo, and Publisher on desktop from Adobe, and just getting started with learning it. I'm really looking forward to discovering what these applications can do :)

Hello Everyone!

New to Affinty. Do have some experience of other similar / related sotwares though; like Gimp and the old downloadable Photoshop (and a wee handful of others) so expecting my learning curve with Affinity to be relatively silky and smoothe :D  Only have Publisher and Photo so far but I must say I am loving them :)

My primary focus right now is getting my first podcast up and running and creating a cool website to support that. So, lots of podcast show and website graphics to create. At the moment there is not enough hours in the day for me (I'm convinced time REALLY is speeding up). However, I'll be happy to contribute here when able. And hope too to be able to pick the brains of the tallented here when I hit problems I can't seem to solve on my own.

My experience with Affintiy so far is very limited but already I'm thinking that Adobe must have started to lose some sleep. If not now then surely soon. And with good reason.

Keep up the outstanding work Dev Guys (and Gals).

Gordon (from sunny Scotland).

Edited by Gordon432

8 hours ago, Gordon432 said:

Hello Everyone!

New to Affinty. Do have some experience of other similar / related sotwares though; like Gimp and the old downloadable Photoshop (and a wee handful of others) so expecting my learning curve with Affinity to be relatively silky and smoothe :D  Only have Publisher and Photo so far but I must say I am loving them :)

My primary focus right now is getting my first podcast up and running and creating a cool website to support that. So, lots of podcast show and website graphics to create. At the moment there is not enough hours in the day for me (I'm convinced time REALLY is speeding up). However, I'll be happy to contribute here when able. And hope too to be able to pick the brains of the tallented here when I hit problems I can seem to solve on my own.

My experience with Affintiy so far is very limited but already I'm thinking that Adobe must have started to loose some sleep. If not now then surely soon. And with good reason.

Keep up the outstanding work Dev Guys (and Gals).

Gordon (from sunny Scotland).

Welcome to the forum! Hope you enjoy your stay and good luck on your podcast!

Hello, my name is Susan and I am a jewelry creator by night and a Senior Lifestyle Director by day,  My question: I recently moved all my photos to Amazon Prime since they allow unlimited storage and full size photos. Is there any pathway for Affinity to pull photos directly for Amazon? I have been having to download them to my desk top and then "find them" with Affinity.

Hi,

My name is Tomasz. I,m graphic designer and printer. I'm an owner of a small... large format printing workshop. 

I was using FreeHand many years ago and I loved it. In 1991 I started to use it on Macintosh. After several years I moved to Windows and FH was still alive. But some big company killed FH. I was compelled to change to Corel Draw. As a printer I got most of work created with CD from my customers. 3 years ago I started to subscribe Adobe CC. Two years ago I bought Serif AD and AP. Last year I broke my Adobe subscription. Now I'm happy. With these 3 applications I make all my designs, layouts etc. Thank you Serif:)

12 hours ago, Boston Lady said:

Is there any pathway for Affinity to pull photos directly for Amazon? I have been having to download them to my desk top and then "find them" with Affinity.

I think such a facility is not there in AP. You may probably be able to do it by configuring Windows Network so that when you press FILE>OPEN in Affinity photo, you are able to proceed to the Amazon portal. I am not sure. someone with better knowledge on networks may be able to tell. There could be a security compromise when this is done on  the internet network.

Thank you unni, appreciate your reply.i am learning lots but that one:below:  Is beyond my understanding. I just see that when we ask Affinity to browse files a cloud is an option I just thought can i make it my amazon cloud.?

You may probably be able to do it by configuring Windows Network so that when you press FILE>OPEN in Affinity photo, you are able to proceed to the Amazon portal. 

1 hour ago, Boston Lady said:

I just see that when we ask Affinity to browse files a cloud is an option I just thought can i make it my amazon cloud.?

I have not tried anything on cloud storage, so cannot comment. Someone with knowledge in this area will step in and give more details. As I understand, the focus of AP is mainly on the image processing and not library management . So it does not have features like that of Adobe Bridge. Maybe, sometime in future such things will be incorporated. Affinity Photo and other apps by this company are very powerful, pro quality and very much affordable. The community is also very helpful.

Hi, my name is Joost and I'm a working under the company name 'Styl - voor Vormgeving' as a freelance graphic designer for more then 10 years. I'm from the Netherlands and would like tp try the Affinity software. I've experience with the Adobe software, like Indesign, Ilustrator, Photoshop, Bridge. And likes to make pictures aswell.

Just joined and just discovered, and then purchased Affinity Photo.

I am retired and a keen photographer (I use Olympus - like a small camera).  I spend most of my time oil painting for commission and exhibitions.

I used Photoshop for many years on Windows.  Now on Mac.  It is just too expensive.  And so far find Affinity as good.  Having uninstalled Photoshop from my Mac I find that Bridge still works as a photo sorting software and have configured it to open in Affinity.

What software do you guys recommend for photo management?

Also, I discovered - I suppose it is a policy of yours - it is not possible to sign up to this forum with a VPN installed.  Why is this??

I look forward to getting to know you all and Affinity better.

Donuk