You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

Hello there. My name is Florian.

I'm a programmer trying to make something else than just code and looks like Designer caught my attention and snared me into making stuff and maybe work on honing some art skills?

I was shown Designer by a friend and to be honest, the artboard (and the ease of access to someone who has very old and basic Illustrator skills) was the seller feature and now I'm trying to take a better bite at the tool to get myself doing some drawings/mockups. Actually, drawing stuff is pretty fun, who knew?

Have a nice day!

Hello all, I've just switched from PS and LR to Affinity, so far I'm amazed at how easy it is to use, obviously I'm still finding my way around but the basic edits are superb.

Right a little about myself, I'm 59, married and I live in Sutton in Ashfield near Mansfield Nottinghamshire, I packed in working some 20 years ago to become my wifes fulltime carer, ironically I now work harder and for longer than previously. I first got into photography at  the age of 12 when my father gave me an old 35mm Paxette, after spells in the army and pub trade I found my way back to photography. 

Hi all,

I'm from Malaysia and just make the switch to Affinity trinity. Still trying to make myself comfortable and learning.

As a full time graphic design freelancer, switching to Affinity is pretty scary at first. Fortunately the learning curve is fairly easy and there's things that definitely I wish were there (maybe I just can't find it yet. lol). 

Hello all, I don't usually feel comfortable sharing my name, so I won't do it now. I'm a young man in mid twenties.

Anyway, I decided to buy Affinity programs to find alternatives to Adobe programs and after I gave the free beta of publisher a try. I ended up really liking the program (there are issues but what program doesn't have them) and buying the rest of the programs to have a full interworking set of programs. I have attended a school to and have graduated as a media assistant, specializing in print and I've liked working with print, boxes, magazines, books etc. Now I do it to have a creative outlet.

4 hours ago, TPatrick said:

Hi,

I just bought Affinity Photo Editor and I cannot find a help or tutorial that shows how to type text on top of a photo.

Can I type and have text show up on a photo?

-Tpatrick

Hello!  I did this in Affinity Publisher, but it works the same way with Photo.  The simplest way to do this is to place your image.  Then with the Artistic Text Tool (A) drag it on the canvas somewhere outside the image to the approximate size you want it, then choose the font and font size you wish, and type the text you want.  When you are satisfied, highlight the text with the Move tool, and drag it over the image.  You should get a result like this.  Hope this helps until someone with much more experience can provide you with various methods for various situations.

1899094859_ScreenShot2019-07-13at2_24_56PM.thumb.png.99ed44dbb1ddd0efc2bb41e0ad044331.png   

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

I am Maco, some kind of cartoonist, video game artist, and app designer. I use flash mainly + illustrator as supporting app if i find anything too complex for flash. I’m seeing affinity designer a good vector art software contender to rival this 2 apps i use for hobby and work. I wish someday to retire those tools!

Looking forward to contributing to this community more.

Edited by maco
Grammar

Like many, I have just broken free from Adobe $uite. After 20 or so of buying equipment for Adobe, paying Adobe classes, updating Adobe, they Crash my CS5 suite. looking for an alternative found Affinity Suite and love it.

That is it I am a photographer, cinematographer, occasional editorial designer based in Mexico City.

Edited by Leigh

On 7/5/2019 at 3:50 AM, MarshallHarrison said:

Welcome Sam. I understand the enthusiasm. After 30+ years as a software and web developer I was burnt out. I still can't get any enthusiasm about writing code. But graphics design along with the new tools and the Affinity Suite have me excited again. Or maybe it was just the year of retirement...Either way, I'm having fun again.

Here's to us old guys having fun with this stuff!!!!!

Yes, Here's to us old guys having fun with this stuff!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

my name is Swat, I live in Czech Republic and I am new to Affinity.
I worked as a freelance programmer and computer technician, now I'm retired.
I like photography and 3D printing and maybe 1000 other things :)
I look forward to learning how to use Affinity Designer, and I hope to find more ideas on this forum.

Swat

:1_grinning: Ohayo ,

:26_nerd: I'm Laureline, currently a baby web/ mobile ( if needed ) developer ( back-end, front-end ).
Want to empower this new passion ( being a developer ) with my graphical skills and previous passions: 
digital and traditional drawing and got me to get interested to UI, UX, WebDesign, Motion Design and much more.

Mainly used Photoshop, Flash ( freshly named Animate ), InDesign and Illustrator.

' Was pretty curious about the capacities of Affinity then decided to by all thee 'suite' (Designer, Publisher, Photo)
in order to complete a little bit more my skills, learn about design, web design, ui, ux etc.

I do love to learn :D but I wish I could clone myself to learn plenty of things then merge to gather all knowledge!
27 yo, living in Paris, love English language ( maybe I'll finally go back to UK or OZ or Ireland with the work, who knows )

My name is Jim and I have one deaf ear, thus the name 1earJim. I am a 77 year old consulting environmental/civil engineer with about over 50 year experience and I have had the opportunity to work all over the US and in several overseas assignments.

I have MS, which has confined me to a wheelchair and the discovery of Affinity Photo and Designer has been a godsend. Learning Photoshop and Illustrator has been a long held dream that has never made it to the top of my to do list. Adobe's cost and subscription business model has keep this dream out of reach . Affinity Photo, which I have had for about two months, has rekindled this dream.  Fortunately, I have my old HP 420 workstation with its three monitors that is left over from my consulting engineering firm. I am actively working on developing these new flower images and have complete nearly 50 images with Affinity Photo. 

My new hobby now is to take flower photos with my iPhone from my wheelchair and use Affinity Photo to turn these images in interesting pictures and a possible future video. This new hobby has given me a new lease on life, a reason to learn something new and to getup in the morning. This community has already help me solve one problem. I hope to gain enough knowledge to be able to help others as this community has helped me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone. My name is Thomas Herring and I live in Portland, Oregon or as it's called, the Great North West. I'm 62 and have been doing various forms of art since I was a little kid. I still do acrylic and oil painting and have done airbrush art. I have decided to learn digital art because that was the way to go.  Like a lot of you, I started with Adobe and when the company started making it possible to make monthly payments, I thought it was a great idea. Then I realized the payments would never end and also I only used three or four programs. To me, it was like buying the cable for 60 channels and only using four. What a waste of money and now, they don't work on old computers. My MacBook is 2008. I can't afford a new one. So when I found out about Affinity, by accident on a Youtube channel, I decided to check out your product. 

This was the right place. My 10.9.5 software can still run Affinity Designer. The price is amazing so now I can practice using it and later Photo and Publisher to make new art. Thank you for looking out for the artists and I hope this will be a wonderful long relationship between us and your company. 

Hey folks! I'm TJ,  you can find me everywhere online by /melior64

I've been using Adobe since 2005 but am in the process of transitioning over to Affinity! I'm blown away by the free trial of Designer and am part way through my trial of Photo. Great to be here and looking forward to learning some great stuff!

I'm super friendly so send me a message on any platform :6_smile:

@melior64
Always Learning | Always Improving
Website   |   Twitter   |   Instagram   |   YouTube

Hey everyone!

Im Vlad! Im a self taught designer and im glad i found out about affinity while looking for alternatives to Illustrator. These apps are awesome and im glad to be apart of this team now!

I hope that some time in the future serif releases an animation app! then i would never have to go back!!

• 2 weeks later...

Good day everyone, I'm Allen, from Manila, Philippines. I'm a Sr. Art Director / Sr. Graphic Designer by profession who has worked for various multi-national ad agencies in my country for 16+ years. I have been using Adobe Suite of Applications since it's inception but have been looking for an alternative that can ultimately replace my Adobe Suite. I couldn't much longer afford the subscription rates and Adobe hogs computer memory too, with that said, it was all but natural for me to switch to Affinity Designer.

Now I'm slowly grasping the ins and outs of Affinity Designer, thankfully it's a short learning curve for me, since I'm well versed in Illustrator already, the shortcut keys are pretty intuitive save for some that needs a little bit learning. So it's was really easy, painless switch for me when I bought a copy of Affinity Designer last month. I've already made a few magazine layout designs which I have attached below as proof of my learnings. :D;) 

Looking forward to meet more of you guys here.

Since I already have Affinity Designer, I Will buy the Affinity Photo, the next month after payday. :26_nerd:

By the end of the year, I will have the Whole Affinity Suite so that I can use the Affinity Studio Link feature. Yes!!!

Disclaimer: The Magazine Mockup was made in Adobe Photoshop, since I don't own Affinity Photo yet.

By the way, you can also follow me on instagram as AffinityDesigner_Art. It's an instagram account dedicated to my journey to discovering the wonders of Affinity Designer. Here's the link: affinity.designer.art

Cover 1.jpg

ADA_Post1_July30.jpg

Cover 2.jpg

ADA_Post2_Aug01b.jpg