You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

Hello there

I'm an amateur photographer from Switzerland (http://manuschwendener.ch), mainly using my pictures to make postcards.

Switched from Nikon to Fuji some time ago and never looked back (same price range, much better sensor).

Until now I only did some basic editing, just started learning how to use layers with the help of the AP video tutorials.

Blown away by what the inpainting brush can do and looking forward to sticky settings ;)

I would like a newbie section in this forum where I could post pictures (or a link to them) and describe what I want to achieve and somebody else would maybe tell me how they'd do it. I'm aware that there is "Questions", but I feel it would be displaced there.

Glad to be on board

Manu

Hello,

I'm Steve, a 25-year user and Jedi Master at Adobe Illustrator (and Photoshop). Disclaimer: I do not work for, endorse, or have any affiliation or indebtedness to Adobe. But, Illustrator has been my Swiss Army knife, and can do anything I ask it to - it has spent 30 years evolving into pretty much the perfect tool.

Having said that, I do not like monopolies, and am always looking for alternatives - there haven't been any that can touch Illustrator. Until now. I LOVE what I see, and love that there are passionate people out there dedicated to developing a whole new ecosystem for design. I am nervous about a new learning curve, and about getting to a point in a design where I need a feature and it isn't there...

I look forward to learning this new software and leaving Adobe behind. With the addition of a few features, Designer will be my go-to design tool. I'll keep it tuned to this forum, and look for other forums to share with and learn from others.

Thank you guys!

Hi, I'm Greg Webb, for many years I was a Pro photographer using most camera systems and editing software.

These days, I manage demonstrations and sales of Hasselblad, Bowens, ILFORD, HPRC, Vanguard,  Zeiss, X-rite, Schneider Kreuznach, Rotolight, Movcam and Sigma for a national distributor. I'm in the happy position of being able to use Hasselblad H5D-50 and Sigma DP2 Merrill cameras for my work and recreational photography, so I'm spoilt for choice.

I purchased Affinity Photo to see how it deals with Sigma X3F files in particular and I'm encouraged that the software will even open these files. Though the results are not quite to the level of Sigma's SPP software yet, seems to be a green vignette on the files, a bit more noise and they're not quite as crisp in default settings, the increase in speed is going to make Affinity a real alternative. I can imagine the work involved to get to this stage must have been enormous and as Adobe isn't interested, congratulations to Serif for giving it a go.

With on-going development, the software should become popular with the many photographers and especially X3F enthusiasts, frustrated by the current version of the proprietary software.

All my best for the future of Affinity Photo.

Good morning all, My name is Mark and I purchased Affinity Photo yesterday so I could have a little play around and see what I thought. I must say what I have seen so far, I am impressed. I'm primarily a Lightroom and PS user and am subscribed to their monthly subscription (This may end soon  ;))

As will all new systems you have to learn your way around and get to grips with things, in the hour or so I have had to play with Affinity Photo I know the basics so am happy.

Also wondering if anyone is able to advise (Dev's) if there is going to be some form of cataloging system will introduced in a future update?

Keep up the good work guys. 

Hi, I´m Rick from Munich Germany.

I work as a freelancer in Motion Design and 3D Artist.
For my work I need often clean vector graphics,

I grow up with Freehand and Illustrator, I loved Freehand and hated Illustrator so I was so lucky when I found Affinity.

Now I´m gonna get rid of Adobe and hope that you guys DON´T sale affinity to the big A.

So, let us make great graphics and push Affinity to the Top :)

Hi!

I'm Marianne from the south of Norway.

I'm a total and passionate amateur in photograpy and editing.
When I found that there was an alternative to PS I just took the plunge and bought both Affinity Photo and Designer.

I only just opened AP and I'm impressed so far.

Happy editing!

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Hello,  I'm a former Adobe everything user from So. Cal.  I started using PS during ver. 2, and eventually AI several years later.  I'm not heavily involved in graphic design or photography anymore as I chose to change careers.  However, I do enough to require keeping my hands in the sand.  I grew tired of Adobe's subscription only BS and have chosen not to use it anymore.  I have purchased both Affinity Photo and Designer and have been testing both for several hours.  So far, I'm pretty impressed.  I've found some bugs and some hang-ups in Photo which I will address in the appropriate forums, but for now, I'm liking it.

Hi, I'm JonColeman!

I have trained, supported and produced digital works in the print and magazine publishing industry for over 15 years. Products that I supported included  QuarkXpress, Adobe Pagemaker, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat, Indesign for over 15 years.

I'm looking forward to using Affinity Photo and later Designer to see how it compares to the Adobe counterparts. 

I had beta-tested in the past on Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign and Acrobat with Adobe. 

I would invite Affinity to include me in beta-testing the  'Publisher' application. 

Thanks and I look forward to participating in these exciting new products. 

Jon

Hi, I'm Matt Priestley and I'm one of the Affinity developers. I'll try to help out on any topic, but particularly anything relating to tools, views and document drawing as they're the bits I'm mostly responsible for writing.

Feel free to join me and introduce yourself, too! :)

Hi Matt, I'm Mike, recently retired and getting back into photography. I did a bit of advertising photography back in the 80's and have been involved in the craft for about 40 yrs, film of course. Mostly self taught but do have a associate degree in photography/multi media. I am somewhat new to digital and just a beginner in photo editing but can tell I'm going to love it.  I was going to get PS and LR but I can't get it installed and AP looked like a much better deal for me at this stage of the game.  

I just got program today and played around with a few things and it's very nice but I'm stuck on the liquify setting. I can get the mesh to move with the various tools but the image does not. The guy doing the tutorial needs to take a valium, he's moving way to fast for me. So I'm probably missing something really simple so your help is much needed.

Your going to get to know me cause I'll have many questions I'm sure.

Thanks, Mike 

Hello Matt! I'm reintroducing myself again since you just went on the forum and are one of the developers. My name is Jose and I live in the northwest coast of Puerto Rico in a town called Arecibo. (Big Radio Telescope Arecibo... ahh you get it). 

Ever since Photoshop went on the subscription route I was hoping someone would come up with an alternative and then you guys started knocking on the door. I've tried the beta with Affinity Photo and purchased it as soon as it came available; I also bought Designer. 

I'm still on the learning curve since I've been using Photoshop for more than 8 years now, but it seems to be very similar with the short cuts and all. Any way I just wanted to point out that I'm happy with both purchases looking forward to see down the pipeline what you guys come up with. I was reading that many improvements are on the drawing board as I'm writing. Hope much success for Affinity and hopefully will make a dent on the big guy.

Regards,

Jose

Hi,
I'm Anstellos, artist and photographer since 1999.

I have been using adobe products for 20 years now. I'm giving photo and photo editing training to hobbists and pros. I don't know Kung-Fu but I can say "I know photoshop" :)
I won some awards, a part of my work is there: http://anstellos.deviantart.com/gallery/

I'm specialized into color accuracy, color correction and automation. I do some heavy edit too, it's just fun.
Always curious about new way to get the job done faster. I'm happy to see a new challenger.

I'm also working into the food industry, looking forward to see an "indesign killer" to do prints faster too :) Count on me to test that.
Long time mac user I like also windows and linux machines, whatever makes the job done!

So far I like the reactivity of the team on the forums and twitter. Keep it that way.
I wish Serif and the affinity teams success. For what I have seen so far, it's great. I can see how much work they put into it.

Hello

My name is David and want to say that Affinity Photo is an impressive program. I've enjoyed photography for many years and continue to. I once had a version of Photoshop and later Photoshop Elements. Recently also using GraphicConverter and Acorn. I tried Affinity Photo during the beta and bought it just before the intro offer expired. From what I have used of the program it has a lot to offer, i.e. the amount of control one has with something like converting a photo to B&W. Thanks for the work you put into the software and also the good help information included.

David Voth

Affinity Photo, Designer and Publisher ver. 2: macOS Sonoma and iPadOS 17

Hi everyone.

My name is Jon, and I've worked professionally for the last 15 years as a graphic designer/web developer. It seems I've used just about every tool, but as a PC guy I loved and relied on Xara for most of my illustration work. (I've never been able to overcome my loathing of actually using Illustrator, regardless of how many goodies it has shoved under the hood.)

For a variety of reasons, a few years back I began doing most of my work on my MacBook, and have struggled since the switch finding an OSX replacement for Xara. Strangely, I had never even heard of Affinity Designer until last week, but after installing the trial version I clicked on the purchase button within 5 minutes! I'm still in the exploration stage, but in so many ways it allows me to get my work done in a Xara-like fashion: a wonderful blend of vector and raster power, with logical, powerful node handling and even better pens and brushes. I look forward to discovering all the program has to offer in the coming months!

Hello all,

I am an enthusiastic amateur photographer from Sweden. I have been using Apple's Aperture along with Pixelmator (occasionally) to manage and edit my photos but have been anticipating the release of Affinity Photo since first reading about it online. I was too cautious and overly-protective of my new riMac to to be comfortable enough to download the beta but I dowloaded the finished program as soon as it was available in the MAS. After only about two hours of using the program, I was so pleased and excited that I downloaded Affinity Designer as well.  I have absolutely no drawing skills and am only really beginning to improve my photography skills but now I feel that with the help of these two programs and the availability of answers for my questions through this forum I may well be able to accelerate my learning.

I purchased Affinity Designer not really knowing what I might use it for other than perhaps text or frames, but I created this new avatar of me for use on this forum completely in AD - and it only took me about four hours total (yes, for me that was amazingly quick) with no instructions other than the Affinitymac videos available on Vimeo! So, in that short time I learned the pen tool, fill, gradients, etc.; I was literally shocked with the ease in which I made progress but everything was either somewhat intuitive or simply that easy to learn.

Certainly I do not anticipate being able to contribute to this forum, but I am joining in order to be fully able to take part in the community, ask questions, and look at things which I was blocked from seeing without a membership. I promise to do my best to search for any information I may need before asking a question, but be sure that I will have questions and look forward to meeting new people here.   :)

After only about two hours of using the program, I was so pleased and excited that I downloaded Affinity Designer as well.

I have absolutely no drawing skills 

I created this new avatar of me for use on this forum completely in AD - and it only took me about four hours total (yes, for me that was amazingly quick)

So, in that short time I learned the pen tool, fill, gradients, etc.; I was literally shocked with the ease in which I made progress but everything was either somewhat intuitive or simply that easy to learn.

Certainly I do not anticipate being able to contribute to this forum,   :)

Hi Justwilliam, 

Welcome to the forums. 

Nice avatar BTW.

I can't draw either, but I can trace. :P

The fact that you went from zero-to-hero in a matter of hours/Vimeo videos speaks volumes. As for not being able to contribute...not true. As you can now tell other newbies, with zero experience how to hit the ground running and explain to others in your own individual stye.

Being in Sweden, you will be able to say how the Swedish Appstore (MAS) and translations are going. :ph34r:

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

Greetings.

I recently installed Affinity Photo without reading any reviews, or having heard anything about it. As funny as it may sound, I just had a weird gut instinct when I saw it in the app store. So I just purchased it.

So...

Ive spent....alot of time editing photographs. Building editing workflows, refining methods, scratching my head, gaining small victories...and in just about every software option currently available.

And while I see that there is some work to be done on Affinity, I am pretty much blown away by the level of thought that has been put into designing it. What excites me the most is what I see in the underlying structure. The choice of how color will be rendered, the .CUBE integration, the styles framework, that freaking magical in-painting brush (seriously whoever wrote that is from another dimension)... Very excited to see where this goes.

Hi all, my name is Valentina and I'm from Berlin, Germany. I'm a pet photographer and a Mac user since 1989. I did not know anything about affinity, nor the development of a new professional photo- and design-software until last Friday. I was very thrilled about it and wanted to download a trial version at once. But I still had running Snow Leopard on my computer, so I had to update first. Well, here I am :) . I would really like to try affinity, to see, how it works for me. But today I didn't find a trial version... Would you please make a trial available again? I work on an older iMac and I would rather test it before buying. It would be just great to find another option than photoshop :-).

Thank you and I'm looking forward to this new experience!

Hello,

I am Willem Pirquin. An Antwerp (Belgium) freelance illustrator and animator. At the moment I make a lot of Isometric illustrations (mostly in Illustrator and Photoshop), but Affinity seems very promising in this field, so I would love to be able to switch to Affinity completely.

Hello everyone. 

I've been a using Macs since my Color Classic II purchased in 1993 and Adobe's apps since 2001. Like many I'm looking for an alternative to the subscription model. I usually ENJOY using Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign but if I can find an alternative I'm in. I've been using Affinity Designer for a little over a month and Affinity Photo since release day and that includes a few initial client projects. Thus far it's been a fantastic experience and I'll switch over for most of my work. The only things I'll keep on Adobe are projects that will require lots of back and forth with clients/work mates that are still doing everything in Adobe. 

A big thanks to the Affinity developers for putting this out. Looking forward to participating in the forums as time allows!

Web & Graphic Design @ beardyguycreative.com

Kit: iPad Pro 12.9" and 2012 MacMini

Nice to see more and more professionals get Affinity software running..  |_ :)_| 

Hardware
 Mac mini (late-2014), 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 5100 Graphics  iPad Air 16GB White

Software I love, and you should get :wink:
Affinity Desinger - Affinity Photo - Sketch - Coda - CodeKit - iA Writer - Dropbox - 1Password