You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

2 minutes ago, JerryC said:

If you're logged in to the site you should be able to find the download details in your Download section of your account.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi. I'm Marshall. I retired last year after a 30+ year career as a software developer. To be honest, I'm enjoying my retirement as I was really stressed and burnt out on writing code for a living. I've recently developed and interest in Graphics Design and rekindled an old interest in photography. I've purchased Designer and will be purchasing Photo in the next few days. I am having to self learn as I can't afford (and don't want) to go back to school. I live in Northeast Florida and I'm sure I'll have many questions as I learn the software.

Once my wife retires our dream is to live and travel in Europe. I hope to finance that lifestyle by freelance work as a photographer and designer.

I've also purchased the Designer Workbook and it will be main curriculum for learning.

Edited by MarshallHarrison
spelling

Hello all! I love all the Affinity products. Using mainly Photo for web design and modification of photos. However I have switched to Linux now and I can only hope that there will be a compatible version of Affinity Photo sometime. :227_bird:

Greetings! My name is Zachary, located in Pasadena, MD. I went to college for graphic design and was taught to use the adobe line of products. However, even if these programs are industry standard, they are unrealistically expensive for private use. I have been looking for a good alternative to the adobe products for years and never found anything. Designer and Photo are the first two products I've seen that really work on a professional level and can keep up with the Adobe software. I just bought the full products after using the trial and I couldn't be more excited.

Hello!! 

Umesh here.

Designed my very first T-shirt as a birthday present using Affinity Designer (Windows). Now use Affinity Designer for the iPad Pro and Affinity Publisher as part of my daily workflow. Intuitive UX, seamless support, and the wonderful support forum make Serif worth every penny. I'm here to stay :).

Hi  everyone my name is Theodor, 

I am a formal user of Adobe, Macromedia, Corel, Krita and the gnu stuff like gimp and Inkscape. 

I am very excited to start with this promising software. 

Do you know of any architect using the Serif suite?

regards,

Theodor

Hi everybody

My name is George but everybody calls me jay I've almost finished my 63rd year and I live in the beautiful country of Bavaria. (south-east Germany). My hobbies are making Music (45 years ago in a Rockband, now with a friend experiencing with MainStage and Logic Pro X). My other Friend is making T-Shirts (Foil cuts and much more). I convinced him of Photo - Designer - Publisher and the Workbooks. He also bought it. And whenever we call or meet, he swears by Affinity and the GUI compared to Adobe. (Did you already see that, or that, or that. Hey there are sliders, isn't that wonderful. And so on) 

Graphics (Affinity) and Video-making (Final Cut Pro) are also a parts of my favourites. First i've bought for the iMac; Photo - than Designer - than the two Workbooks. Now I own (after the betaversions) also Publisher. And for my wife's iPad - Photo. And to my great joy, I am now through with Adobe.

I hope I still learn a lot with you. Btw. Are there plans for a "Publisher Workbook"

Keep up the good work.

and Thank you again.

George aka Jay

--- Das ist meine Meinung und keine Rechtsberatung ---

--- This is my opinion and no legal advice ---

• Staff

@jayjay

Welcome (back) to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

40 minutes ago, jayjay said:

Are there plans for a "Publisher Workbook"

Yes plans for one absolutely, but not anytime soon sorry

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hello! I'm Ron from Germany.

I love to talk about Design especially PixelArt, Logo- ,Web- , 3D- and/or Isometric Design. I love the Golden Ratio and the idea of creating a logo or web design using the fibonacci sequence.

Besides my passion for design, my real knowledge about it is not particularly good. As well as my English skills. Reading or listening to English is not a problem for me but writing and speaking is difficult, so I need a lot of time for such a post.

But I am here to improve myself, so please bear with me.

Back then I started using Gimp. I switched to Adobe when I started my studies because I could only cover the costs with a student bonus. Since then I am looking for a good and cheap alternative. Two weeks ago I heard from a colleague about Affinity. At the moment I have some time at work, which allows me to deal more with affinity. After 2 weeks with 6-8 hours a day, I can probably say that I understand basics.

I am very excited about Affinity and would like to start, learn and grow with the new version 1.7.

I hope for a fun and educational cooperation. :)

See you, Ron

http://www.ronwollschlaeger.de/

Hi, my name is Ed Meinel and am now retired. I used to work at The Aerospace Corporation and did research in image processing and exploitation. It is amazing what Affinity has done for the iPad Pro. I remember trying to do advanced algorithm development on a CDC 6600 or PDP 11! There are some things that I would like to do on the iPad but no one has the ability. :( Oh well, I’m retired. 

Hi,
my name is Igor, I'm 50 years old graphic/web designer from Croatia.

I recently purchased Photo, Designer and Publisher, and I'm really excited to switch from Photoshop (after 27 years :o ),  Illustrator/InDesign...
Anyway, last 3 weeks I'm only working in Photo/Designer without the need to switch to Illustrator or Photoshop ;)

Hi everyone here on the forums!

My name is Jace, i'm the chief and founder of a marketing group located in New York with a team of five graphic and web designers on board. so as you can figure out alone, i'm spending a tremendous amount of money in subscribible licence purchases, just to cover my adobe creative apps...

When i heard that there is a new competitor to Adobe with a range of 3 productive alternatives apps - overall - a one time purchase, it was very interesting, and i decided to try it out if to check out if it comes on the daily work for my small team, and yes, i can say fully confident that it's really wonderful how they get done such amazing products.

In fact, there is one reason why i feel that i can't switch right now to those apps. and no, it's not because there is still a range of features that is currently unavailable in this (1'st) version of affinity, like 'image tracing' and 'scripting' and more, taking in mind that its a new suit of applications, and it will forsure get big updated with the time.

The reason why i can't change my office apps to affinity, and in the same time to reduce my adobe bill to half or less (i still need the web and animation tools from them) is simply 'right to left' support.

After a deep trial season, i figured that rtl lang. are not supported, and i can't stick with a program that will have problems every time there will be a few words in any of the Middle Eastern languages like arabic or hebrew (something i don't have daily, but also occasionally is enough to be a concern).

Actually, i will have now to stay with Adobe. and i'm sure that the day things will change, i will be back with you. the affinity serif apps are super fast and stable!

hope it will be soon. All the best!

Hi there.

I'm Paul, a 58 year old who has spent 40 years working in a profession that's about as far from photography as it's possible to get. I've lived in Essex, UK, since 1999 - though I'm originally from 250 mile, or so, NW of there (Manchester) but have also spent years living in Newcastle upon Tyne and Perth (the Scottish one).

Photography has been my main hobby since I hot my teens and continues to be so. I'm still a very active film photographer - though I also shoot plenty of digital (I see no reason to have to choose one over the other). I'm not remotely tecchie - though I've worked out how to scan negatives and work on them in LRCC. PS is very much an unknown quantity, save for some fairly rudimentary techniques.  I'll probably keep with the Adobe subscription for a couple of months until I've come to terms with Photo a bit.

I recently purchased Publisher as I'm thinking about putting together some "zines" based on some of the subjects I've photographed over the past years. I joined the Beta about a fortnight before the full version went live, so the discount was much appreciated.  I've just downloaded the trial version of Photo.  It looks fairly daunting - being more akin to PS than LRCC - but that's not really a bad thing as I should be able to approach it with no real legacy of having to re-learn Photo from an extensive legacy of using PS.

My main concern is that I'll miss the way in which I've been able to import and file / back up folders in LRCC but, again, I'll be able to build new libraries with, hopefully, a more logical approach than I have at present.

I'm sure I'll ask some very fundamental and (probably) stupid questions as both Publisher and Photo are very new to me.  Please bear with me, as my lack of understanding isn't intentional.  I will check out the excellent YouTube tutorials Affinity has produced to find answers - but I'm not great at understanding the tech-talk and I also find it hard to follow a tiny mouse across a demo screen whilst also listening to the expert explain the what and the how.  I'm a bloke. Multi-tasking is not strong with me....!

Anyway, enough about me for now. I'm really looking forward to using the Affinity products and interacting with the community here. All the best.

44 minutes ago, PJenkin said:

Hi there.

I'm Paul, a 58 year old who has spent 40 years working in a profession that's about as far from photography as it's possible to get. I've lived in Essex, UK, since 1999 - though I'm originally from 250 mile, or so, NW of there (Manchester) but have also spent years living in Newcastle upon Tyne and Perth (the Scottish one).

Photography has been my main hobby since I hot my teens and continues to be so. I'm still a very active film photographer - though I also shoot plenty of digital (I see no reason to have to choose one over the other). I'm not remotely tecchie - though I've worked out how to scan negatives and work on them in LRCC. PS is very much an unknown quantity, save for some fairly rudimentary techniques.  I'll probably keep with the Adobe subscription for a couple of months until I've come to terms with Photo a bit.

I recently purchased Publisher as I'm thinking about putting together some "zines" based on some of the subjects I've photographed over the past years. I joined the Beta about a fortnight before the full version went live, so the discount was much appreciated.  I've just downloaded the trial version of Photo.  It looks fairly daunting - being more akin to PS than LRCC - but that's not really a bad thing as I should be able to approach it with no real legacy of having to re-learn Photo from an extensive legacy of using PS.

My main concern is that I'll miss the way in which I've been able to import and file / back up folders in LRCC but, again, I'll be able to build new libraries with, hopefully, a more logical approach than I have at present.

I'm sure I'll ask some very fundamental and (probably) stupid questions as both Publisher and Photo are very new to me.  Please bear with me, as my lack of understanding isn't intentional.  I will check out the excellent YouTube tutorials Affinity has produced to find answers - but I'm not great at understanding the tech-talk and I also find it hard to follow a tiny mouse across a demo screen whilst also listening to the expert explain the what and the how.  I'm a bloke. Multi-tasking is not strong with me....!

Anyway, enough about me for now. I'm really looking forward to using the Affinity products and interacting with the community here. All the best.

Search YouTube for "Elaine Giles". She does some very comprehensive tutorials on Affinity products. Her full tutorial of Publisher is over 3 hours long. 

Hi y'all, my name is Dirk and I live near Stuttgart/Germany. My publishing career started with Ventura publisher in the late 80s then from quarkxpress to Id. Since I retired some years ago I do mainly private work, only very little professional work for customers. Just bought me a new Mac mini and a license for Affinity publisher since my old Id (Cs4) is not running anymore on my new mac. Just finished my first 2 little projects with publisher. It seems to be a good and powerful alternative to the adobe-software. Will probably sooner or later add affinity- photo and designer.

PS: I do enjoy the british accent in the tutorials!

regards
dirk

Hi!

I am actually not new to this forum but only found this thread now.

My name is Chris, I am a little bit over 30, I studied philosophy and live in Klagenfurt, Austria. More over I am kind of a self-taught in-house graphic designer who works in public administration at the city hall. 

What I really love doing though is drawing transit maps (schematic diagrams). Drawing maps is just for fun and a way to relax after long days at the office. I am kind of crazy about this and make one or sometimes more transit maps a week. That's what eventually brought me to Serif and finally to Affinity Designer. At work I mainly use Affinity Publisher and Affinity Photo - when designing/laying out brochures and flyers.

If you want to know more about me just ask - I'd be happy to answer any question! 

Chris

PS: I do love cats - have two tomcats! I guess that's an important piece information about me too. ;-)

PS: If you like maps you might also have a look at this community!
PPS: Want to know more about me and my ways? Head over to an Affinity Spotlight article about me and my maps!
PPPS: Do you love public transit and transit maps too? Then have a look at my home-made collection of transit maps under www.instagram.com/transitdiagrams or www.twitter.com/transitdiagrams

PPPPS: Other works than transit maps can be found here www.behance.net/chrisneuherz 

Hi Everyone,

I don't know where else to do this, but I want to thank the designers of these incredibly well-thought-out and affordable (NON-SUBSCRIPTION) products. I bought Affinity Photo when it was launched, but have not yet started using it. As a photographer and maker of (Blurb) books, Affinity Publisher opens up a world of opportunities for me. I can finally tweak every bit of content and placement, and thanks to the polished tutorials, understand what I'm doing.

Affinity Publisher moves everything to a new level for me. Now I will go back and finally learn Affinity Photo (leaving my old version of Photoshop mostly behind) and eventually purchase Designer as well. THANK YOU for all the hard work!

Hello!

I am Stephen, 50 years old, live in the rural south of Germany and work as a graphics designer and web developer.

I really liked the approach of Serif to start an all new line of modern software without the need to carry the bloat of two decades. It worked out great with Affinity Photo (which, when it came to iOS literally sold an iPad pro plus Pencil to me), became even better with Designer and now Publisher. It is great to have choices and even greater when one of those choices actually cares about their users' needs, offers excellent support and an outstanding licensing model.

Thank you and keep it up!

Designer, Photo & Publisher on macOS – Designer & Photo on an iPad pro with Pencil

Hello, everybody,

My name is gottfried and i live in Germany. I have Affinity Designer
running on Windows and on an iPad Pro too. Graphics and Computer Graphics
has fascinated me for a long time. So I have seen many graphics programs
come and go.

I make graphics for fun, a few years also in digital printing as a Graphicsguy
for a company, created there Vectorgraphic Symbols and Layouts for Safety Signs.

Vector graphics interest me for a long time and this led to Affinity Designer.
At Affinity Designer I especially like the possibilities of the Symbols and the
Vectorbrushes remember me a little on CreatureHouse Expression Brushes.
By the way, CreatureHouse Expression is still running
on my computer ;-).

Whish you all a nice day and may your ideas spread.
gottfried grohmann

Hi all,

May name is Dan and I live in the San Francisco Bay Area of California.

I am 77 years old and have been in the computer industry as an electrical and software engineer since the beginning of the personal computer age.

It is a pleasure to find a vector AND raster graphic program at an affordable price. I just downloaded Affinity Designer today and look forward to many productive hours.

I use Affinity Designer on an iMac Pro (2017) 8 Core 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W running macOS Mojave. The system has 64 GB RAM, 4TB SSD, Radeon Pro Vega 56 8 GM Graphics & 27-inch (5120 x 2880) display.

Best Regards,

Dan C.

Hello Matt, my name is Sam, I have been in graphic design and full web development for 19 years.

I am from Tijuana, Mexico, and a happy member of this forum.

I have all the Affinity design programs (Designer, Photo and Publisher), and I could not be more excited about the Affinity toolkit.
In my home office, we are a team of 3, as you can all imagine,  it was a lot of money for the monthly subscription to the company "A", so I bought the Affinity licenses for the 3 of us.

Thanks to Serif, we are a much more productive creative team.

By the way, I am 55 years old and Affinity returned me to the enthusiasm of my way back 30s

Edited by Sam Ramzan

12 hours ago, Sam Ramzan said:

Hello Matt, my name is Sam, I have been in graphic design and full web development for 19 years.

By the way, I am 55 years old and Affinity returned me to the enthusiasm of my way back 30s

Welcome Sam. I understand the enthusiasm. After 30+ years as a software and web developer I was burnt out. I still can't get any enthusiasm about writing code. But graphics design along with the new tools and the Affinity Suite have me excited again. Or maybe it was just the year of retirement...Either way, I'm having fun again.

Here's to us old guys having fun with this stuff!!!!!