You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

• Staff

@JohnWClark

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

Thanks for the kind words about the software. Please can you copy/paste your 6 questions into a post on the questions forum, as this thread is not suitable to reply to everyone with a query

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hi all - I'm a software and game designer from Embraceware. Long time user of Photoshop and Illustrator switching to Affinity Designer. Very impressed so far! We're working on several 2D pixel art games and the pixel art tools / support in Affinity Designer for Mac and iPad have been great so far.

DwPV8qsU8AEVQKG.png-large.png

Hello,

I'm a newbie to this forum. I have bought AffinityPhoto & Designer (a) because they are great products and (b) like a good many people, I am looking to come away from an endless photoshop subscription. I also want to move away from mega commercial corporations generally. Oddly enough, it was Adobe's OTT customer service that was the clincher. I recently had to order the Adobe Creative Suite for work.  Going through the process with the customer service person - she said: "I'm going on holiday next week - but you can still e mail me  if you have any questions." Nooo!  Okay, full marks for being enthusiastic and dedicated - but there should be a proper life/work balance so that in ordinary jobs you should not have to be on call 24/7.   Very few people on their death-beds have said: I wish I'd spent more time at the office.

Having got that off my chest, I am looking forward to learning about and working with both Photo and Designer. Although the day I claim to know it all, will be the day to hang up my Wacom pen!  I've been a serious hobby artist in digital format for 20 odd years (I think I started out with Photoshop 3) and like to do cemetery-based art, incorporating portals and pathways. I am also looking to develop a theme for faerie art - but not the disturbingly cutesy/disneyesque/ poser type.

Cheers

Nick

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Rob26 said:

I am thinking of getting Affinity Photo to replace my ageing Lightroom. So I will be teaching Forums and Teaching Aids before doing so.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Rob. :)

Affinity Photo is more of a Photoshop alternative than a Lightroom replacement. If you want to put it through its paces before purchase, you can download a ten-day trial here: https://affin.co/phototrial

Please be aware that the trial clock runs continuously from the moment you first launch the app.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hi Jessica,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Do you mind creating a new thread in the Affinity on Desktop Questions (Mac and Windows) so we can follow your issue along with a description of what the problem is (what happens when you try to run it, any error message?) and the OS you are running (macOS, Windows, iOS)? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to join this community. I don't know how I missed this app before, it becomes my favorite for compositings.

My work http://www.chopinephotography.com and tutorials http://www.geekatplay.com as well on youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/GeekatplayStudio

I am planning to record compositing tutorials 3d-> digital photography -> compositing in Affinity Photo.

Hello I am Jeff Place and I have been a longtime user of Serif products. Fell in love with PagePlus back in the early stages of development. Was on early beta testing team. I have been doing payout since 1991 and publishing a newspaper (now pdf digital). Also have done a ton of freelance work.

21 minutes ago, JPSports said:

Hello I am Jeff Place and I have been a longtime user of Serif products. Fell in love with PagePlus back in the early stages of development. Was on early beta testing team. I have been doing payout since 1991 and publishing a newspaper (now pdf digital). Also have done a ton of freelance work.

Good to see you here, Jeff! :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

@JPSports

Hi Jeff, thanks for your service (and money ;) )

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hello everyone! 

A quick intro: I discovered the existence of Affinity just a few days ago, to my absolute joy.  I had been with Adobe for years until a couple of months ago when I finally found the courage to just end it.  I did not walk away from them smiling, quite the opposite, I was scared...but it was necessary and between then and now, thought I'd tried everything but then found you and wow, what can I say...despair is dissolved!

More general stuff; my background is in photography, graphic design, writing and music...with a partner of mine, bringing all those things together this year, that's the plan made all the more possible because of everything here.  Simply put, I am now enjoying creating again instead of fighting with tech.  Thank you...

hello i'm Ronnie and using affinity photo now a year and like it so much :-) now working on saying farwel to Adobe so i like publisher and designer a lot but there are some things that give a smal thinkover or it is not there simply. for now i like the change.

• Staff

@GreenCat

Welcome out of the lurking darkness and onto the Serif Affinity forums :) 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Hello everyone,  my name is Jay.  I am in my early 50s and retired in Scotland.  My hobby was painting - watercolours and acrylics but due to circumstances I cannot enjoy that hobby anymore and I needed to take on something I could do alone and within a limited amount of space.  I therefore decided to learn and master the Affinity software - Designer, Publisher and Photo, and see what I can create digitally.  I have just taken advantage of the discounts to get all the software, ordered my computer notebook, purchased the workbooks and a few other tools and will get started shortly as soon as the computer arrives. 

I am looking forward to learning again and I would be grateful for any tips or advice.

Regards,

Jay

• Hello I have just started using affinity and am slowly converting my camera club members to save money and give it  a go ,still a lot to learn but getting there ,the hardest part is
  • forgetting the PS that I have been using for years, but head down backside up and keep going .

Hi everybody

I'm William from East Kent. I've been interested in DTP for over 20 years. I started out on PageMaker at college, but never really fully grasped the principles until I got my own PC and PM. I dabbled in the first version of InDesign on Windows, but felt that it was slow and overly complicated. I've also used Quark on Windows before transitioning to Mac. Quark is much more like PM and user friendly, but expensive for the dabbler.

Currently, I'm trialling a student version of Creative Suite. (On a new 27" iMac with Core i9/40 GB RAM/SSD - aren't I the lucky one). The tutorials from Adobe's Classroom in a Book remind me why I never liked InDesign. The program is much more solid and full-featured, of course, being iterations down the line. But ID is resolutely professional; I don't like all content within frames, and find the wealth of panels and option overwhelming.

I already own Affinity Designer (hardly used, though I mastered the basics of Illustrator back in the day). So I'm looking at acquiring Affinity Publisher, as a route back into DTP. I hope Affinity will publish a book on Publisher as they did with Designer, so I can learn along with that, too.

William

Hi I'm Andrew,

Love the affinity package and for for the future of the product and use all the applications.

Love to learn and become a graphic designer and what I learnt is by my own skills I built up and small time in the industry.

Hope the affinity packages grow.

On 6/7/2019 at 3:40 PM, jayszen said:

Hello everyone,  my name is Jay.  I am in my early 50s and retired in Scotland.  My hobby was painting - watercolours and acrylics but due to circumstances I cannot enjoy that hobby anymore and I needed to take on something I could do alone and within a limited amount of space.  I therefore decided to learn and master the Affinity software - Designer, Publisher and Photo, and see what I can create digitally.  I have just taken advantage of the discounts to get all the software, ordered my computer notebook, purchased the workbooks and a few other tools and will get started shortly as soon as the computer arrives. 

I am looking forward to learning again and I would be grateful for any tips or advice.

Regards,

Jay

You have come to the right place!!   These forums are chock full of explanations and tips, and there are wonderful people who are constantly helping others sort out problems, or explain "how to..."    Once you get your computer set up and turn it on and "GASP!   What do I do now?" is possibly your first reaction, just remember that YOU ARE NOT ALONE!    

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

Hi Matt, great to be here after 12 yrs on Adobe. I have had to buy another laptop and want to run Affinity Photo on it, I purchased the App last week and have product key. Where do I access a safe download  to install it on my other laptop. The reason im asking is the Affinity site only has BUY NOW buttons. Great App

Cheers Wayne

Hey Wayne,

If you're logged in to the site you should be able to find the download details in your Download section of your account.

Jerry

4 hours ago, wainus said:

Hi Matt, great to be here after 12 yrs on Adobe. I have had to buy another laptop and want to run Affinity Photo on it, I purchased the App last week and have product key. Where do I access a safe download  to install it on my other laptop. The reason im asking is the Affinity site only has BUY NOW buttons. Great App

Cheers Wayne