You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

• Staff

@Photochemical

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

1 hour ago, Photochemical said:

Is there a way I can lay one over the other, move them to register the images and then crop both accordingly?

This 69 page thread is not the place to get questions answered. Please ask here 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Hello every one  My Name is Fred

I am completely new to Affinity Photo, and have Photoshop Elements previously.

I am a BAM Processor ( Bare Ass Minimum ) just to make image look good Affinity photo after 2 weeks of using it does what I need and is an Excellent program. and Easy to follow.

Now I am in the Affinity learning stage to what can it do . More than just the minimum to make a picture look good

Hello,

My name is Marko Stojkovic, an architectural illustrator from Serbia. My main tool for renderings postproduction is Photoshop, but still using CS5.1.

Since I discovered Affinity Photo, I'm trying to switch my workflow to affinity and to combine with PS.

I think that affinity photo has enormous potential and I'm thrilled about its progress. 

Best, 

Hi all, I'm Dave.

I'm an Instructional and content developer in the UK and I would say "Hi" to you all.

Finally I've found a company that produces excellent content and design software and I cant wait to start using it. 

Like so many in my business I'm one of a growing number of designers who are getting fed up companies going down the route charging costly monthly subscriptions for software that people desperately need to learn and use to get on in the industry.  Thank you Affinity for producing this fantastic software and providing each one at a one time only cost.

:)

Hi! I have been using Serif since the early 80's when I got this black floppy disk in the mail. I have been using it ever since. I love the PagePlus program. I have been on this site for some time and still use PagePlus 9 all the time. Just wondering if there will ever be an upgrade?\

1 hour ago, rfaubel said:

Hi! I have been using Serif since the early 80's when I got this black floppy disk in the mail. I have been using it ever since. I love the PagePlus program. I have been on this site for some time and still use PagePlus 9 all the time. Just wondering if there will ever be an upgrade?\

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @rfaubel. :)

The CommunityPlus forum is the best place to discuss Serif’s ‘legacy’ software products, but if you have PagePlus X9 version 19.0.2 then you have the last ever version (unless Microsoft breaks something in a Windows update while Serif are still selling PagePlus).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi, I´m a newbie in Affinity and is very pleased with Designer and Photo. I have had a lot of help from this amazing forum where everyone helps each other. I´m from Sweden and lives in a small community called Vårgårda, it´s lies about 6 Swedish miles west from the west coast. Earlier I've been working with Adobe's products for a couple of years. 

Thanks to everyone who helps beginners like me. 

Wish you all a nice Easter and a lovely summer.

Best regards Jan-Ove! :)

Hi

I am new to Affinity, in fact I am new to photography & photo editing, despite that I am in my later years. I have tried PS elements19 but I am just bewildered by the jargon which led to frustration, so I am here.

I will probably have a ton of questions for you experienced people so thanks in advance.

Is the Photo book that I can purchase worth the investment in terms of finding my way through Affinity Photo?.

Thanks

17 hours ago, RoyalBulwell said:

Hi

I am new to Affinity, in fact I am new to photography & photo editing, despite that I am in my later years. I have tried PS elements19 but I am just bewildered by the jargon which led to frustration, so I am here.

I will probably have a ton of questions for you experienced people so thanks in advance.

Is the Photo book that I can purchase worth the investment in terms of finding my way through Affinity Photo?.

Thanks

I am not one of the “experienced people” for photo editing, but I have found the Photo Workbook really helpful when trying to do some of the things that it describes.   One can try something until it works.  The extensive library of Affinity Photo tutorials is excellent and covers so much.  For me sometimes - particularly when I was just getting started and didn’t have a clue about the workspace - they go too fast to grasp what is going on (which panel, which tool, “where is invert?”) until we have galloped much farther through the session.    But there is always “repeat.”    The forums are superb.   So many really nice people who can figure anything out!!  I think that learning the workspace (layers, filters, swatches, styles, assets, brushes, etc.) is the key.    For me the book has been really helpful because “fast forward” just means turning the page.    

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

On 4/21/2019 at 7:24 PM, justdraw said:

Hi, I noted that the las version beta of Af Photo run very slowly in my macbook pro middle 2012, i7, 2.3 ghz, 4 gb ram

Your report belongs in the Photo Beta on Mac forum, not the ‘Introduce Yourself’ thread.

Alfred spacer.png

A friend of mine over the weekend told me about Affinity Photo and he purchased it for his windows computer. I am a Mac uses and when I found out it is also a Mac-enabled program I was thrilled. I have LR4 on an older MBP but it is no longer supported nor updated by adobe, and I don't want to "rent" for ever. I am a property owner! I rented when I was in school 40 years ago! I am an aspiring amateur and just was about to pull the trigger and order Affinity Photo until I looked at the RAW support list.  All of my cameras are included except my most recent purchase--Sony A6400. Will that be supported or does it for now use one of the older A6xxx RAW templates (if that is what it is called). If not, will Sony A6400 RAW be supported in the near future and the list updated accordingly? In the meantime I plan to familiarize myself by watching some of the video instructions and watching my friend do some hands-on. So far, I like what I have seen.

Hey, I'm Pariah, been using Affinity products for the last year or so, when Adobe raised their rates again. Very happy with the product and naturally impatient for a fully functional Adobe killer to happen :D  In the meantime, I thought I'd put here my workflow that's completely different now that I've ditched Adobe.

1. I design mostly in Designer. If I have text to warp (I often do) 

2. I warp text in Serif DrawPlus X8 which works perfectly well on my Windows 10 machine. Can still purchase from Serif Legacy for $20.

3. I use Inkscape (free) for text warped into a particular shape (the limit on the shape is 4 nodes)**

4. I use Serif DrawPlus X8 for spot color separations.

5. For pdf, I use Bullzip Studio and Printer (all free) and I have a teeny tiny program called Sumatra PDF to render thumbnail previews of pdfs in Explorer. For me, Bullzip Studio takes a few more seconds to open for some reason. It's annoying but I'm really impatient. Two other pdf programs that are similarly excellent are PDF24 (you can use their full pdf suite online or installable) and PDFill, which can do anything, but it's hideous to look at :D With PDF24 you also need a thumbnail previewer but i can't remember whether or not i did with PDFill. 

Best of the other solutions I have used at various points: 

Scribus for spot color separations - free

Photopea - free (online) for text warping, many features from Photoshop. Export to svg

**Let's face it, nothing is better at text warping than Illustrator. I decided to give Illustrator CS2 a try, being free and all. Works just fine on Windows 10 (1809). It even did spot color separations with no problems.  Here's the link to Adobe CS2, in case anyone needs a temporary solution to the lack of text warping in Designer. https://www.adobe.com/downloads/other-downloads.html  The entire suite is there (I tried out Acrobat that came with it but it didn't work properly) but I just got Illustrator because I'm determined to have as little to do with Adobe as I can lol  (Can't wait until i no longer need it!)

Hopefully this helps someone!

On 4/23/2019 at 9:42 PM, Offroady said:

I am an aspiring amateur and just was about to pull the trigger and order Affinity Photo until I looked at the RAW support list.  All of my cameras are included except my most recent purchase--Sony A6400. Will that be supported or does it for now use one of the older A6xxx RAW templates (if that is what it is called). If not, will Sony A6400 RAW be supported in the near future and the list updated accordingly?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Offroady. :)

The Sony A6400 (ILCE-6400) doesn’t seem to be on the SerifLabs Supported Raw Cameras (1.7.x) & Lens Correction list, but if you’re on macOS Mojave (which does support the Sony Alpha ILCE-6400) you can switch to the Apple Core Image raw engine. For an older Mac, use Adobe DNG Converter version 11.2.1 to produce DNG files which Affinity Photo can open.

You can download a 10-day trial of APh from here: https://affin.co/phototrial

Please note that the trial clock runs continuously from the moment you first launch the app.

Alfred spacer.png

Hi!

I am Dolly , totally new to Affinity after over 15 years of Adobe Corel etc...

I was delighted to find a program that is so easy to work with ...

and especially that so many issues that were missing in Adobe are available here...

Thank you!

Hello everybody,

My name is Henri from the Netherlands. I'am a user of the Adobe CC apps, but I'am from the beginning testing AP, AD and APub for hoping that there is a switch time to Affinity, keep on testing, but Affinity isn't still doing some stuff that I definitely need to make money for my living. So Affinity, keep on going and I'll be there :-D

Greetings from Groesbeek - Berg en Dal, The Netherlands

Hi, I'm John Clark, a freelance graphic designer and long-time Aldus/Macromedia/Adobe FreeHand advocate/enthusiast.

Despite being neither developed nor supported since it, together with other Macromedia titles, was acquired several years ago by Adobe with the express purpose of killing it off in favour of its own, and FreeHand’s main but inferior commercial rival, Adobe Illustrator, it remains an impressive piece of design/illustration software that, believe it or not, I continue to use, together with other “obsolete” and “irreplaceable” design applications and utilities, in life-support, cul-de-sac mode on durable but ageing Mac G4s.

I do utilise more contemporary Macs, mainly to run production, admin and accountancy software, some of which are Windows-only flavours running in emulation on Parallels Desktop, but recent business developments have now necessitated the need to adopt “modern” design and illustration software which, I feared, might mean being forced down the horrendously implemented, monopoly-driven, hitherto predicted extortionately priced Adobe Road to Hell.

Fortunately, however, I stumbled across Affinity’s Designer and Photo combo that initially I thought too good to be true, particularly at such reasonable pricing, but which, after some research and no little soul searching I decided might not be too much of a risky endeavour.

I have now had both titles about a month, and have been quietly surprised and not a little impressed by what I have so far discovered.

To help flatten the learning curve, I purchased the pair of highly regarded companion “Workbooks” that, with the “Photo” version being out of print and thus on back-order, has allowed me to concentrate on Designer at the expense of Photo. The Affinity Designer Workbook is excellent, not only in terms of content, but also in aesthetic presentation and quality finish.

I am one of those sad individuals that actually reads/studies software manuals in the full knowledge that more is learned in less time, and as such I have gradually but quickly compiled a short list of questions and observations that Affinity Help has failed to either answer or address, and some examples of which are listed below.

1. Can the Page Guides (not margins) be given a custom colour (as in FreeHand)?
  2. Is there a trace or auto-trace feature (as in FreeHand)?
  3. Can the Artistic text box be constrained to fixed dimensions (as in FreeHand)?
  4. On discovering an apparently undocumented modifier/mouse click combination to elicit control handles from a shape’s sharp node, and thus more intuitively converting it (FreeHand style, sorry!) into a smooth node, the resulting action is inconsistent from one shape compared to that of another (although all instances are consistent within a single given shape, there are two separate, distinctively differing actions).
  5. Can gradient fill “stops” be “numerically” positioned as well as that of manually (as in ... no, just kidding)?
  6. A Designer Workbook tutorial mentions the deleting of nodes in the Brush Editing, Dynamic Tabs profiles, but only adding them seems possible. Nothing I tried resulted in a deletion.
Edited by JohnWClark
Grammatical corrections.