You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

Hi Everyone my name is James located in grand terrace, ca. I have been using Serif products for several years now, I was upset when they dropped there products and started with the Affinity Software. I just bought the Affinity Photo and am very happy with it so far. I think I am back with serif again they make great products.

Hi I am Paul Based in Galway (Ireland). .  Today I thought I would try AP for the first time  so over the day I opened and closed it few times each time I opened it I got a little better . The hardest part was finding where everything was i.e. the "undo"  On the 3rd time of opening found it was under "History"   I still need to know how to have a lighter back ground and if the icons can be a bit larger.  Having use PP from the days of MSDOS (PP2) to PPX9  (r.i.p.)  this is a giant step for me. But having got over my first day without any instructions or manual is a good sign. One thing has stood out,  is that you have close a dialogue box before opening another one and when you do open one there are lots of options within the box. So the motto is  "Little Each Day" together with "patience" Rome was not built in a day

Hello. My name is Leroy Casterline. I'm a retired programmer who used Photoshop for UI elements and such, but didn't think I had an artistic bone in my body. Now that I'm retired I've (just) started playing around with compositing and such and finding out I may have missed a lot of fun over the years. 

I stopped upgrading PS at CS6 because I refuse to rent my tools. Now I think perhaps Adobe did me a favor all those years ago as their policy has led me to look at alternatives, and here I am. 

I played with AP for a few days and today ponied up a very reasonable price for a tool I'm falling in love with. I'm getting an overview of the product via the hundreds of videos Affinity has provided and will be honing my skills with this cool tool.

As a non-photographer, non-artist I'm probably an odd duck here - I hope you all bear with my uneducated questions as I progress. See 'ya in the forums!

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub

1 hour ago, casterle said:

Hello. My name is Leroy Casterline. I'm a retired programmer who used Photoshop for UI elements and such, but didn't think I had an artistic bone in my body. Now that I'm retired I've (just) started playing around with compositing and such and finding out I may have missed a lot of fun over the years. 

I stopped upgrading PS at CS6 because I refuse to rent my tools. Now I think perhaps Adobe did me a favor all those years ago as their policy has led me to look at alternatives, and here I am. 

I played with AP for a few days and today ponied up a very reasonable price for a tool I'm falling in love with. I'm getting an overview of the product via the hundreds of videos Affinity has provided and will be honing my skills with this cool tool.

As a non-photographer, non-artist I'm probably an odd duck here - I hope you all bear with my uneducated questions as I progress. See 'ya in the forums!

Welcome! I'm new here as well! I had to give up on Adobe also. Affinity is the way to go! I've been using Affinity to create my video game that I've been working on for 3 years now! Anyway have fun here!

Hi, Will Montgomery here in Miami Florida. I am enjoying Affinity Designer although having a terrible time exporting vector files. Can you please give me suggestions so as to speed this up. I am using an iPad Pro 2018 new machine, iOS is v.  12.14. I have no idea how this machine should be set up to optimise this task. It is taking forever to export pdf files. I need to be able to edit the files in AD on my desktop then save out in a reasonable time frame. I reduced the file to 10X6".(PDF for export, 300 dpi, Quality-85%, as default).  I have read other people are or have had this problem. I look forward to your suggestions. What size to make a file, set up, anything you can suggest is much appreciated. Struggling. I would be happy to supply the file although I can't get it out. artsales321@abstractfineart.com, www.abstractfineart.com

10 minutes ago, William Montgomery said:

Hi, Will Montgomery here in Miami Florida. I am enjoying Affinity Designer although having a terrible time exporting vector files. Can you please give me suggestions so as to speed this up. I am using an iPad Pro 2018 new machine, iOS is v.  12.14. I have no idea how this machine should be set up to optimise this task. It is taking forever to export pdf files. I need to be able to edit the files in AD on my desktop then save out in a reasonable time frame. I reduced the file to 10X6".(PDF for export, 300 dpi, Quality-85%, as default).  I have read other people are or have had this problem. I look forward to your suggestions. What size to make a file, set up, anything you can suggest is much appreciated. Struggling. I would be happy to supply the file although I can't get it out. artsales321@abstractfineart.com, www.abstractfineart.com

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Will. :)

The ‘Introduce Yourself’ thread isn’t the best place for questions and answers, but since we’re here: why are you trying to export to a vector file instead of simply saving a copy as a native *.afdesign file which you can open directly in the desktop version of the app?

If you’re still struggling, please create a new thread in the Questions forum.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I am Scott a long time PC and Photoshop user.  Just bought a Mac and started using Affinity Photo and another solution.  Just trying to have the application instead of renting it.  So far I am liking the Mac and this Affinity Photo.  

I just bought Capture One to work with my RAW files then use Affinity Photo to touchup and edit them when needed.  

I just also bought Affinity Photo for my desktop and was wondering with that purchase they offered a free Macro Pack.  Do they have others and or is there a good place to see what's available?

2 hours ago, William Montgomery said:

Well that's a great question.Guess I don't know how. Always thought that I have to export it to get it out.

How should I save the file as you suggest? 

You use Save/Save As to save in AP's native format (.afphoto). If you need your image in any other format you use Export.

Windows 11 Pro, XP-Pen Deco 03, AP, AD & APub

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,  I'm Karri. I've been using Adobe software off and on for couple of decades, but as I currently need the programs only for personal use, I was looking for an alternative solution.

Some weeks ago I was told that there is a product family, which could be worth taking a look at. I did, and have now bought Affinity Photo and Designer, both of which are looking very nice indeed. Long live Affinity!

Hi I'm Steve Spicer, I just downloaded yourPublisher  beta and I'm very impressed.

I'm an InDesign ACE and current ACI. I've been using InDesign since version 1 launch way back. I am a graphic designer and I also teach graphic design and the use of software. I have been asked to develop a cost effective publishing solution (vectors/rasters/publishing to PDF).

To try this out properly, what I need is to use it for a real job. Out of 10, how stable is the beta? Is there any documentation?

Edited by stevespicer

Hi 

Joined today.

had a bit of a loop trying to activate affinity, which i purchased at the photo show.

Help was at hand when another new bee had the same issue.

Up and running now . Its my first taste of using a photo editor , so looking forward to this product

Hi,

My name's Kaz aka Turbogirlie and am a newbie to Affinity Photo for Desktop.  I've bought a MacBook Pro Retina Mid 2012 without any photo editing software.  I'm used to the dreaded CS6 and refuse to go to the CC!

Very pleased to have found Affinity, having to adjust my workflow to suit as there are subtle differences.  I use Camera Raw for basic global edits as I shoot in RAW which I don't see in Affinity Photo.  But that's a minor point.  Happy to change and grow!

Am an amateur photographer, my kit is old Olympus FourThirds (E400/E3/E5). 

Nice to meet you all!

Kaz :)

Edited by Turbogirlie

Hello I'm Bastian, I'm a programmer who is also highly interested in design.

In High School I studied Communication and IT as a main course, where I learned about design, there was a lot of people surrounding me with skills beyond my imagination.

Currently I'm studying Humanistic Technology Bachelor, and am at my second semester. I also work in IT Support on side, where I write documentations on the software we develop, as well as taking calls and in the future, there's plans to adapt some to all of our documentations to YouTube, and I've been promised, I'll be able to code a bit.

I want to use Affinity Publisher, as I thoroughly enjoy Affinity Photos, however, and this should be more on the suggestions thread, I can't copy the HTML, and our documentations relies on being on the web, to be easier indexed by Zendesk as well as being faster delivered to our customers.

Hello, my name is Debra. I am a recovering Adobe connoisseur. I've been here a while though...

I am a fine artist and web-designer/graphic designer. I'm also starting in DSLR Photography. Mainly to use in my projects or to do something creatively proactive with... I've been using Affinity Photo/Designer on Windows increasingly more for several years or so now. Here's to several years more creating beautiful delicious content...

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR

27 minutes ago, iamscotty said:

I'm a Designer/Illustrator in the North of the UK and am looking to move over to Affinity from Ai.

Just found that Serif are down the road from me so almost neighbours! :D

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @iamscotty. :)

Last time I checked, Nottingham — home to Serif (Europe) Ltd — was in the East Midlands. That hardly qualifies as the North of England, let alone ‘the North of the UK’! ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)