You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

Hi there ! 

My name is Andy, aka The Unforgiven.. I am a long time aspiring amateur graphics dude, mainly using Photoshop for anything graphics (and some CInema 4D or Bryce for some 3d stuff). I just learned about Afiinity about a week ago, when I was looking for tools for webdesign. I am trying to get my own webdesign/development company off the ground. I really dislike the online subscription model Adobe uses these days and I was long searching for alternatives. I know GIMP for a long time, as I am a linux/unix sysadmin in my fulltime job. Have played with the Gimp, but it was cumbersome to use in my opinion. The Affinity products to seem to be a serious alternative for Photoshop/Illustrator. I have MacBookPro, but I must say I also dislike the way Apple is moving with the completely non-upgradable laptops these days. So I wast on the verge of moving away from the Apple platform as a whole, but Affinity makes me hesitate to do so. Don't get me wrong, the OSX platform is by far superior to Windows, I just don't like the idea the I need to pay over 3000 euro to get a laptop with hardware specs that other brands offer for ~1500 euros. 

OK, enough complaining. As I see it, Affinity programs are quite cool and I definately will try them out !

cheer,

Andy

• Staff

Metallica fan, by any chance?

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Hello Affinity Aficionados!

Thought it was about time I introduced myself to other members here. My name's Marty, I've been using Affinity since the beta was released and I'm now a very satified customer. I've been drawing and animating on computers for years, starting with Deluxe Paint III on the Amiga (those were the days). I then studied computer animation at University, mainly concentrating on Flash and Maya back when everything wasn't owned by Adobe or Autodesk!

I'm now a big fan of Xara Designer Pro for vector work, but have started using a Mac more often, hence my interest in Affinity. I also use Adobe software, but have never really got on with Illustrator. I've also been using PagePlus since my Uni days, so thought I'd give Affinity a shot and, so far, I'm very impressed. It is no way near as fast as Xara Designer Pro, but it isn't sluggish by any means and competes well from a feature set perspective.

I work as a Learning Technologist at a UK university, so have an interest in all kinds of image editing/creation software from the very basic to the most complex, and will definatley be recommending Affinity as a cost-effective alternative to more expensive graphics software.

Marty :D

• Staff

It is no way near as fast as Xara Designer Pro, but it isn't sluggish by any means and competes well from a feature set perspective.

Seriously? On exactly the same machine? I boot-camped into Windows to test our rendering performance and the general experience between the two and would definitely not draw any conclusions about one being definitively faster than the other - I can provoke both into being slow or fast depending on which things I choose to 'prod'... I have documents that take literally 4 times longer to draw to the screen in Xara than in Affinity - and vice-versa...

Xara's not faster in all areas, but my perception was that its rendering engine was still more responsive in general. This comment wasn't mean to be taken as a definitive statement, as I've not performed any controlled benchmarking to fairly compare AD and XDP. Probably should have mentioned this in my original post!

By the way, I run XDP on a separate machine, as I'm not  fan of Boot Camp and the like, but the specs. are not wildly different to the Mac Book Pro I'm using Affinity on (the PC is a little less powerful in fact).

Marty

Metallica fan, by any chance?

Not a fan, but like their music However, my nick was chosen in a time where I didn't listen to anything other than rap and hiphop when I had some struggles in my personal iife. A friend of mine called me 'Unforgiven', and so my nick was born. It was only later on I discovered 'The Unforgiven' and 'Unforgiven 2' from Metallica. Which are definately great tracks !

Hello, I'm Jacob Perl, Graphics Director at Shoreline Community Church in Monterey, CA.  I'm also a freelance web designer and photographer  with a studio in downtown Monterey.  I have a lot of experience with Photoshop and Lightroom, and marginal experience with Illustrator...the "marginal" part is for a reason and why I'm hoping Affinity will make me love working with illustration software :)

Glad to be here!

Hi guys, I'm a British gal currently living and working in the United states. I work as a nightlife promoter/event planner so so usually end up having a lot of photoshop needs such as creating nightclub flyers, social media graphics, banners etc. Previously was using pixelmator but am going to try out affinity! Hope you are all having a great week.

xoxox

Hi everyone!  I am from South Wales UK, And have used Serif products since the company was first formed many years ago. When AD was released I bought it for my imac, and will be buying APh and AP (publisher) when it is released.

I must admit that AD is a world ahead of it's PC equivalent (DrawPlus), not that DrawPlus is no good, it is a brilliant piece of software in it's own right, but AD is the next generation in graphics design!

My expertise is in 2D Graphics and Photo correction and repair, I also dabble in Web Sites and desktop publishing, I have ALL the Serif programs on my PC, and hope soon to have All the Serif Affinity programs on my imac. 

Welcome Willabong,

I started with DP2 on Win 3.11 :D and have said it many times before: I need Serif on the Mac (Bye bye, Windows).

This has been a long, long time: but if you keep with it you'll see that even though AD has less features than DP and is cheaper, but what it does do - it does better than DP :D. This is still the 1st incarnation, not bad eh? Can you imagine what V4/5/6 will be capable of...?

peter

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

Hi Everyone,

Gary here. Recently purchased Affinity Designer and using it on my first project already! I've been a Graphic Designer for over 20 years-my first job using Corel Draw 3 and Pagemaker, then Quark. I'm a designer and illustrator but also dabble in 3D modelling and game dev. At my full time work, we moved over to Adobe when Quark was slow in supporting OS X. After playing around with Designer I have high hopes that this suite could finally allow me to go Adobe free at home! Looking forward to the release of Photo, hoping it will be a good replacement for photoshop, covering everything I need for texturing 3d models as well as the usual photo editing and design work.

Thanks to Serif for your amazing work so far!! (This is my first experience with a Serif program)

Hello,

Matt and the gang, I bought AF at the end of May and I already love it, I'm new in the vector world but  I think I'm caching on... all feedback is welcome— thicken my skin! I'm still trying to figure out how to post some work?

Hi everyone,

I've been using Affinity Designer for the past few months now and I've rarely turned Illustrator on since.  

I've been using Designer for producing graphics for videos and animations and a little bit of print here and there.  It's now my go-to app for anything vector based and I wanted to say that I think its been beautifully designed and the continued support and engagement with the community is really helpful and refreshing.

Cheers and keep up the great work,

Scootoss

Hi I'm uncle808us I just downloaded Affinity Designer a couple of hours ago. And I'm sold great app. PSD export imports into Gimp and Anime studio Pro 11 perfectly. This is a nice piece of software. I think you have a sale. Thanks

Mac MacBook Pro 15 in.  OS X 10.9.5, Mid 2012 456.77 GB Affinity Design and Photo.

Greetings programs!

My name is John Boissy,... a Graphic/Web Designer in Ypsilanti, MI, USA with almost 25 year in the biz. I'm evaluating the Affinity Designer demo because I need a vector, drawing tool that features natural media brushes similar to the old Fractal Design/Creature House Expression (before MS bought it and screwed it up). So far, I love what I see... AD brushes are almost exactly like EXP brushes! I'm looking to get back into the Small-Press Comic biz and I'm hoping AD will be my new digital inking workhorse.

I'm so glad I found Affinity Design... now, back to the drawering! ;-)

Regards,

jB

Hello ,

I am very new to this environment. 

I am from Istanbul, TURKEY.

I am a person who somehow couldn't click into the world of Photoshop.

I downloaded this new software hoping that I could use this without dealing with the complexities of Photoshop.

Is this software also a non-destructive editing tool?

And are there step by step editing tutorials for photographers?

Thanks

• Staff

Hello Everyone,

Thought i should introduce myself.  My first name is Gareth, I've worked for Serif in the Tech Support department for just over 6 years now, supporting the Plus range.  Have a keen interest in photography and can be found most weekends wandering the streets of Nottingham with my camera documenting the large legal graffiti/street art scene we have locally.  

Have been a Mac user for just over a year now and i am really excited about the whole Affinity Range of software.  I personally spend more time in Affinity Photo than Designer, but that's more to do with my lack of artistic ability than anything :)

Thanks and hope you all have a great weekend :)

Hello, I'm Danny Riggs. I've been flitting around looking for an app that acted more like Adobe Fireworks. As a "seasoned" web developer, I used Fireworks till it didn't work that well anymore, switched to Photoshop and have used that for years and years. My problem is that Illustrator and Photoshop seem to be overkill for most of the things I do. Getting Sketch helped but it just isn't enough for what I want. I finally found Affinity Designer and think I've found a home. I am absolutely loving this product and I'm excited that it will soon adopt many of the features that Fireworks had. Now I can do vector and photo work in the same app! Thanks.. (wiping a tear away) ..for the great work on this app - please NEVER go to a subscription service :) .

Hello everybody,

my name is Franciscu, I’m a graphic designer from Sardinia, in the middle of Mediterranean Sea.

I’m using Corel Draw, Illustrator and InDesign and I’m very happy with the beta version of Affinity products. In particular I’m waiting for the release of Affinity Publisher!

Thanks for your good work and for Adobe/Corel alternatives.

Gràtzias meda.

franciscu

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, my name is John VanSteenberg. I live in the USA's "midwest" region, but will soon relocate to Las Vegas in the far west of the USA.

For 35 years I have helped bring into public acceptance powerful imagine tools, workflow techniques and marketing program ideas to benefit the photographic community. In addition to being a member or Board Member of the PMDA (Photographic Manufacturers and Distributors Association), the Photographic Society of America, Professional Photographers of America, Wedding and Portrait Photographers International, Photoshop Professionals, and The Photographic Artists Society of Ohio, I have served as Senior Education Manager and/or National Sales Manager for 3 different companies that develop leading imaging technologies and consulted with several others on their products and marketing internationally.

I have been lucky enough to work with and experience conversations with some of the most exciting minds in photography (both creative image makers and technologists) and to spread the word about their ideas and products to thousands of people through lectures, seminars and one on one discussion.

My chief image-making subjects/clients are portraits and action images of athletes and musicians. I also capture a lot of landscapes while on lecture tours and have visited 49 of the 50 states in the USA and multiple countries on Europe, Central America and the Orient.

As a multiplatform user of technologies, I have always loved the Mac above all other computing tools specifically because of it's unparalleled reliability and the community commitment to design superiority. I am excited to join this forum and welcome any feedback or insights. 

Thanks,

John

Hello,

I'm graphic designer from Pakistan, :)

I was working on Xara designer, Illustrator, Freehand, Corel Draw and many other vector applications, 

and now I'm using Affinity designer, without any doubt it is the fastest, smoothest, most precise professional graphic design software. 

Thanks for your good work.  :wub:

Shirazi

Hello .....I'm an old duffer!

Recently jumped ship from Nikon DSLR's to Oly MFT with the M5MK2 & a 12-42mm Pro lens.

Also decided enough of the subscription software altho I still have most of a year to go with PS & LR CC so trying your Beta. 

I'm a MAC Pro, iMac & iPad/iPhone user & the last Beta suddenly I could see afphoto files in Finder & in Preview. Did you change something or was it Apple upgrade?

Who cares. I need to go thru the Tutorials a few more time to get the hang of how the brushes work. Not finding it 'intuitive' but I will persevere.

So far I would happily buy it so please don't go the subscription route.

Hello everyone! I'm a landscape architect / illustrator / photographer from California. I'm having lots of fun with Designer, still playing around with Photo to find the best workflow. Maybe one of these days I'll drag out some tutorials, read the help files and poke around under the hood - but for now Designer has done everything I needed (posters, illustrations, logos...).

I'm eagerly waiting for Publisher, and also hoping maybe you'll name it something else (Layout, maybe?). I have no fond memories of Microsoft Publisher! 

Hello everyone,

I am a retired nurse and I worked in a maximum security hospital for all of my nursing career. I am a Benedictine Oblate and took up photography a few years ago mostly as a tool to explore my own spirituality and to look at creation in a way that deepens my spiritual awareness. I am particularly drawn to black & white and monochrome photography. My interests other than photography are literature, social history, theology, architecture and the natural world in general.

It is all part of the rich tapestry of life.