You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

Hi there, Cédric here from Bordeaux, France. Previously an art school student that got on the other side of the mirror and is now a web developper. I discovered Affinity Designer after a friend tweeted it and I must say it nicely replaced A**** softwares in my daily work.

HI! I'm Renee from upstate NY and I am a surface pattern designer. Gotta tell ya, I'm LOVING this software! I played around with it this morning and everytime I clicked on something I went "oooooo ahhhh!!" THANK YOU! The price is great. Looking forward to Affinity Photo.

Hi!

My name is Irene King and I live in (fabulous) Las Vegas, Nevada in the US.  I'm an old Mac Fangirl, having bought my first Mac, a Performa 2000 running System 7, in 1992.

I am a hobbyist in that I do websites and business cards for friends, "clean up" photographs and share with friends and family, and do occasional "real" work for actual pay.  Although I was an art major back in the day (pasteups and tracings), I'm completely self-taught on Photoshop, Illustrator, LightRoom, Dreamweaver, PageMaker (!!!), etc.  Since I work with computers every day, I can safely say that I have a knack.

My issue has been that with Adobe going to a subscription model, I'm now down to just Photoshop because I refuse to pay the ridiculous (for me) subscription extortion when I only use a couple of apps!  In the interim, I've tried several others, but just found Affinity today.  Of course I will be using the Design, but it's the Photo that has me really excited.  I was at first reluctant to even consider it until I saw that you are working to have my favorite Photoshop plugins from Topaz work well with it.  My Topaz plugins MAKE ME LOOK GOOD and I can turn any snapshot into a work of art.

I've very excited about this and if you ever decided to create a video editing program (I no longer love iMovie), you'd have me as a customer for life!

Hi there,

I'm Olaf, graphic designer from Poland. I have finally bought Affinity Designer after beta testing. I wanna thank all Affinity creators - this is my best buy ever. I can finally throwaway all the benzodiazepines I had to take every time I was using Illustrator. The next step is the Affinity Photo - love it!

Thanks!

Hello, I heard about Affinity from a co-worker. I am emberassed to say I started in Aldus Freehand many many years ago. I still utilize Macromedia Freehand MX daily and never could adjust to Illustrator. I am optimistic this program will be a good transition for me so I can finally utilize newer systems and finally retire my g4 mdd. I would welcome any FH users to chime in if they have migrated to AD and have suggestions to help me out. Thank you.

Hi, I'm Rob. Am new to Design, but have an interest. Tried Adobe Illustrator, and simply looked at the screen before I gave up. Am taking a 2D Design class, so things are beginning to make more sense. Still have challenges with some of the terminology (slices ?). Have begun an AD design to render a Clown bank. Subscribed to Adobe's Photoshop/LR for awhile and finally gave that up, but still have PSCS5, Topaz, NIK, etc. Am interested in what APh has to offer, and am super-glad that Adobe has competition.

Hi everyone!  I am from South Wales UK, And have used Serif products since the company was first formed many years ago. When AD was released I bought it for my imac, and will be buying APh and AP (publisher) when it is released.

I must admit that AD is a world ahead of it's PC equivalent (DrawPlus), not that DrawPlus is no good, it is a brilliant piece of software in it's own right, but AD is the next generation in graphics design!

My expertise is in 2D Graphics and Photo correction and repair, I also dabble in Web Sites and desktop publishing, I have ALL the Serif programs on my PC, and hope soon to have All the Serif Affinity programs on my imac. 

Hi All, 

I'm Joe Carter, a Graphic Designer from Spokane, WA. I've used graphic software since 1991 - starting with Freehand and a little bit if Illustrator. I've been out of the Graphic Design field for almost 15 years and kept trying free software and trials to figure out what I wanted to use. Today I took the plunge and bought Affinity Designer! I love this software and am excited to see what comes with the whole Affinity Suite! Currently Beta testing AD and AP as well. 

Thanks developers for being so responsive to your customers! 

Hello All

Im Kevin aka popeye......new to Affinity..new to Mac via a Mac mini which Im finding very good to use apart from my ancient brain not getting some of the routines in place (i.e. You can't minimise a screen on Safari and work on another....tiny thing but I forget to open a new browser window before minimising)....I am an amateur photographer with a leaning towards macro work, especially flora...Im also a member of a camera club . In the past I have used a free program called FastStone (windows) it is very easy and convenient to use BUT...it doesn't have layers and it can't be used on Mac.

So..Im trying Affinity and hoping I can do the editing I need to do easily and quickly but still have the the more complex features available..from what Ive seen browsing Affinity offers more than most other photo editing programs

Hello All

My name is Hetherwick Ntaba Jnr. Friends and fam call me JJ or Just J. I'm from Malawi and I live in China. I have been an a**be loyalist ALL my life and can I just say I am super excited about my new discovery and that I am not allergic to cats  :D

J

• Staff

Hello All

My name is Hetherwick Ntaba Jnr. Friends and fam call me JJ or Just J. I'm from Malawi and I live in China. I have been an a**be loyalist ALL my life and can I just say I am super excited about my new discovery and that I am not allergic to cats  :D

J

Hi Just J!

Thank heavens you're not allergic to cats - you'll find them popping up all over the place around here! (and in Affinity products too - particularly on Friday 13th... - just wait and see)

Welcome to the forums!

Matt

Hello, my name is Steve, and I'm an amateur photographer (and have been since I bought my first 35mm camera way back in the 1970s.)  Currently I use Aperture for managing my photo collection and with Apple no longer supporting it I've been looking for alternatives.  I don't really want to migrate to Adobe products.  I've downloaded the beta of Affinity Photo and am just beginning to figure out how to use it.  I was able to access my Aperture library and can see all the photos within, but I've got quite a bit to learn here, I think.

My photography is a combination of film and digital, so new and old (sometimes very old) cameras and lenses.

Nice to be a member of the forum, and I hope to learn quite a bit about how to use Affinity Photo.

I live in the Twin Cities in Minnesota and work in IT (close to retirement! Yay!) managing a team of developers (started as a developer myself, but it's been many years since I did any programming.)

So I'm a nerd that loves photography.

Steve

Hi all, big respect for making these applications, this goes way beyond any expectations I might have had at first. Since I don't want to use Photoshop/Illustrator anymore, due to many reasons. I know Gimp 2.8 is not bad but just plain ugly to work with, on Yosemite at least, and Pixelmator doesn't quite cut it, at least not yet and only covers one side of the coin anyway. And I don't like to have anything using Quartz or what not, to be able to run on my machine. There are simply not many alternatives for OS X.

I'm impressed and I wish you all the luck you need to keep developing these applications and hope you're building this for the years to come!

Have a nice weekend, cheers!

Hi, I'm Howard, I've been a self employed graphic designer since the 80's (actually I started in the early 70's). When computers were invented I started off with Quark v3 / Macromedia Freehand and moved on to InDesign / Illustrator about 6 years ago. I DON'T like Adobe's greedy pricing policy and especially their horrible subscription and where $1200 = £1197 for CS6. I want to upgrade my MacPro to Mavericks from Snow Leopard so my CS5 may not work. Your software was brought to my attention 2 days ago and it looks great I must say. If your Designer will open and save to .ai formats and Publisher likewise for Indesign, I'm in.

Well done to you guys for developing such polished, professional software.

Do we have a date for Publisher yet?

Kind regards to all

• Staff

Hello Kryten.

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

We can only import data from .ai files if a PDF stream is present in the file (since .ai is a private/closed format).

If they are very old, or exported without the PDF stream box checked, there's nothing we can do. We can't save files in .ai for the same reason. A beta of Affinity Publisher should be available by the end of this year.

My name is Michel, living in Europe in the french speaking countries from a long time. Experience relative to photography is... shall I say wide? May be it's a bit too exaggerated. However, looking at my age, I mays say that I started at my 14th and stil now (I am almost 68th) I am doing photography!

My beloved wife gave the push (she didn't know I was already looking at) on digital photography this was in 1999 this mean at least 15years I am playing with digital photography. So already a long period... Since then I never stopped to work with Canon machine guns and follow and use a lot of softwares. My beloved wife didn't know in which situation she putted herself pushing me that way....

And today, Apple is offering me the opportunity to look and try one more soft.

I am happy and hope to learn a lot from you all and from apple too.

Michel

Hi,

I'm a streetart/graffiti artists from germany. As a aficionado of letterforms i got into design, mainly logo design and lettering as a digital extension of my graff love. Things are going very well so far with AD, which i bought a few weeks ago.

Currently i'm still experimenting with the app, i'll post some stuff i did with it here on the forum soon.

Greets.

Hi, I'm Paul Bravery and I'm a long time user of Serif software (PagePlus, WebPlus & PhotoPlus) since the 1990's until I ditched Windows XP 3 years ago. 

I now use both GNU/Linux (Linux Mint) & Mac OS X (Yosemite) at home and have been using Mac OS since 1992 in a production environment (v7.7.5-10.6.8), beginning with Adobe Illustrator 5 and now using Adobe CS 5. 

I'm really pleasantly surprised to see Serif enter the Mac platform after being so strongly Windows-centric! 

:D

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

I'm a graphic designer and TV-movie production student, and I've been dimly aware of Serif for quite some time.  To be quite honest, I never really considered Serif, with its stuck-in-the-nineties logo, zero advertising, and complete lack of Mac support, serious about making software for professionals.

Then Affinity Designer showed up on the front page of the Mac App Store, and I started salivating almost immediately.  It took me months to download the trial, and almost as long to get around to installing it.  But now I'm a paying customer.

I can't say how impressed I am with the Affinity project's results so far, what I've seen from the development team, and the gusto that Serif has put into this new software.  You've won my dollars, and I hope to be sending more your way in due course.

—Russ Johnson

Murfreesboro, Tenn.

—Russ Jonson

Still and video design, logos, branding, and more 

RussDoes.com

Hi have just begun to use the Affinity Beta program. I am still finding my way around the app. I do hope to drop Photoshop eventually and use Affinity Photo! I hate the way Photoshop is charging for the use of the app. I am still using Photoshop 5. I refuse to pay their fees...

I appreciate Affinity producing a product that can be purchased!

Joe

aka MacMac to 9 Grandchildren