You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

1 hour ago, painTony said:

Hello, I am Tony Scott "painTony", well that's how my better half defines me.   I'm getting on a bit, but not too old to make changes - I'm a refugee from Adobe, especially now they are getting rid of Muse and shutting down Business Catalyst.   Just got *PHOTO AND *DESIGNER and learning through tuts as we speak.   Glad to be here!

Welcome to this nice refugee camp.

Home: https://vectorwhiz.com  : : : :  Portfolio blog: https://communicats.blogspot.com

Oh, Adobe ending another Product's lifecycle...

Hello there and welcome to the forums. :)

Best regards!

Hello everyone, 

My name is Sophie, I used Serif Drawplus x3 back in school when I studied Graphic Design and continued to purchase it up to x6, however since then I have completed a business degree at university and am now getting back into design again. I purchased Affinity Designer last night and really looking forward to get my groove again and learn some weird and wonderful things with the help of this forum and tutorials.

4 hours ago, painTony said:

It seems us newbies here are in good company.   I opted for blocs for websites, so it's Goodbye Adobe.

Hi Tony. Even though I have another web service I am using currently, I did have interest in Blocs when I was browsing. How is Blocs' design features? If you have a very particulate template you want to have, would you be able to create it? For example, archiecomics.com has all its content in a caged area separate from the custom background. I was also wondering if it could globally change things like headings and buttons without having to change each individually.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• 3 weeks later...

Photography is a big deal for me. It was my first career, and my work in professional photography paid my way through university during the 1970s: I was a full time photographer and part time student, usually attending evening classes. After graduating in science and mathematics, photography became a serious hobby. I am inclined to be an early adopter, and had been a Photoshop user from the start, even before it was part of Adobe. Over the decades I have spend many thousands of Euros on Adobe products. Last January I retired from my teaching position at a local university, on a comfortable but not too generous pension. I could no longer afford Adobe Photoshop. I had recently upgraded my nine-year old Mac Pro 5,1 (12 core machine) with new processors, faster memory, SSD boot drive and current high end NVIDIA graphics card. This was achieved at a fraction of the cost it would have taken to purchase the current model of Mac Pro 6,1 (the tin can). Furthermore, I get better benchmark performance on my 5,1 than any other current model offers; 20% better than the tin can. MacOS High Sierra is going all 64 bit, so it was necessary to update my CS4 Photoshop. I asked Adobe for a seniors' special deal, something like the plan that Adobe offeres to students and teachers. The request was refused. So I went searching for an alternative. This is it. Googbye Adobe. Hello Affinity.

Hi I'm Alex, graphic designer at professional level (don't we all?) since 1996...
I love Affinity, I was tired of Adobe and Corel... They were good but are old, real old.

Personal considerations as for both Designer & Photo: Overprint Preview and SPOT Channel (in Photo also if possible) is a must to get read of Adobe completely because I did keep the Adobe Acrobat Pro for color separations prev.

Everything else are good to have but those two main will introduce you to the pre-press desks.
I know this is hard work but you may consider to have a PostScript type file as your own because I don't think Adobe will ever add the genial Erase layer state into PDF and much more and wee'l have to adjust those.

Sorry for my English
Good job you all!

Hi !

My name is Nicolas Herole and I live in France. I am a young 40 years old student in Web development and web graph, and a new Affinity Designer user. A great discovery !

I'm using this software for my knowledge in French language. I'm waiting for the day a french translation Affinity Workbook will appear. ^^

A bientôt !

Hi,  I'm Paul from the USA.  I have used the Serif products before and have been impressed with the quality of the products as well as having a reasonable price.  I'm very happy to see the development of the product, the active forum and the positive and helpfulness of its users.  I just purchased Affinity Designer.

Hello, I'm Alan. A Photoshop refugee, very impressed with what I have seen so far of Affinity. Look forward to getting more involved, both with the product and the site.

Have been in photography for over 50 years. Have used Serif Desktop Publishing progs before.

Hi, I'm Deborah, a Canadian photo-essayist moving more into creative photography after decades in news journalism. I  am posting a question here because I can't see another section that applies. (If this is not appropriate please tell me where to ask this.)

If the hardware specs for best machine to use Affinity are posted somewhere, I've missed them. Please advise: am looking to buy a new computer. I'm a relative newbie to photo editing.

Having exceeded the range of three Apple machines for editing needs, I'm upgrading and need advice on the best new desktop  - willing to spend some money to have a machine I can grow with. Am a long time news reporter and photographer on the side, moving into more creative photography.   Am considering new iMac, iMac Pro, or even the Pro (? no new release for years)- but being only partly tech savvy am baffled over the best configuration, etc. Using Affinity now for photos shot mostly on a full frame DSLR - but want room to grow including into video editing in future.

Thanks in advance.
(Have an older MacBook Pro, an older iMac - and a newish Air laptop for mobility; desktop preferred.)

20 hours ago, Tulpaloose said:

Am considering new iMac, iMac Pro, or even the Pro (? no new release for years)- but being only partly tech savvy am baffled over the best configuration, etc. Using Affinity now for photos shot mostly on a full frame DSLR - but want room to grow including into video editing in future.

Thanks in advance.
(Have an older MacBook Pro, an older iMac - and a newish Air laptop for mobility; desktop preferred.)

Hi and welcome to the Forum. Since Apple doesn't offer much well choice, if you have the money I would buy the iMac Pro. With the smallest CPU and 32GB Ram. (The 64GB Ram option comes with an in my opinion insane additional charge.) With that machine you should be good the next couple of years. And Video editing is also possible with ease. 

What I also highly recommend is to checkout the iPad Pro. Its crazy how good Affinity Photo works like a charme on it. With the Apple Pencil its I think the perfect combo not just on the go.

cheers,

Lutz

| https://www.instagram.com/lutz.heidbrink https://500px.com/lutzheidbrink | https://www.eyeem.com/u/pixelcoder | https://society6.com/pixelcoder 
iPad Pro 10.5 - iOS 11.4.1 - Affinity Photo 1.6.7 - Affinity Designer 1.6.0.35 :11_blush:

2 hours ago, pixelcoder said:

Hi and welcome to the Forum. Since Apple doesn't offer much well choice, if you have the money I would buy the iMac Pro. With the smallest CPU and 32GB Ram. (The 64GB Ram option comes with an in my opinion insane additional charge.) With that machine you should be good the next couple of years. And Video editing is also possible with ease. 

What I also highly recommend is to checkout the iPad Pro. Its crazy how good Affinity Photo works like a charme on it. With the Apple Pencil its I think the perfect combo not just on the go.

cheers,

Lutz

Thank you!

Hi all, 

I'm Mark, and I like designing websites for fun. My most recent project is a Gluten Free Recipe site, a Gardening Blog for my partner, and an online Baby Shop for a friend.

I've decided to drop Adobe and have just downloaded trial versions of Designer and Photo to see which one I want to start with, before I splurge and get both.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Syrathos said:

I've decided to drop Adobe and have just downloaded trial versions of Designer and Photo to see which one I want to start with, before I splurge and get both.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Mark. :)

Please be aware that the trial versions expire ten days after first launch, so (unless you have absolutely nothing else to do for the next ten days!) it is highly recommended that you try one and then the other instead of attempting to evaluate them side by side.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hello Everyone,

I'm a printer, editorial & graphic designer. I love to work with long texts (books) and really looking forward for Affinity Publisher!
After 6 years I cancelled my personal Adobe subscription and replaced it with Serif's software (Affinity and PagePlus). I still use Adobe at work.

B|

W11, Dell G5, i7, 64GB, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2600, Wacom Intuos Pro M + iPad Pro 2018.
 sakrajda.eu

Hi everybody.

I'm Raymond Larabie, a Canadian typeface designer living in Japan. I run Typodermic Fonts and have been in the font business over 20 years. I use Affinity Designer primarily for creating font specimens. I also use it for testing OpenType features while developing new typefaces. I use Affinity Photo mostly for fun, and projects for friends. I use a combination of Affinity Photo and Exposure X for my Instagram photos of Nagoya shops and street scenes.

The reason I tried Affinity Designer in the first place is that it's one of the only drawing applications with good OpenType feature support.

Hello All,

I'm a very occasional photo hobbiest and ICT infrastructure professional. Most of my graphics work is to do with adjusting travel photos and drone footage. Through a few twists of the extended family tree I'm related to Geoff Spiby, an accomplished underwater photographer, who from time to time has prodded me in better creative or technical directions.

I'm replacing Adobe Bridge and Photoshop CS4 with ACDSee Photo Studio and Affinity Photo so there's going to be much to learn!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to everyone,

I'm Riccardo Pareschi, an old retired programmer now dedicated to photography & graphics. Proud owner of Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer before I was a Photoshop & Pixelmator user. Now only Affinity products are on my iMac, they have allowed me to explore my creativeness. Thanks, thanks a lot. 

Photographer & Guitarist equipped with Affinity Photo, Designer & Publisher on Mac.