You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

Thanks Wikinger.

I wasn't aware of XnView. I'll investigate further. I've got a smallish Lightroom catalogue but there are many hours vested in it so will probably stick with that as I'm on Lightroom 6 which is non subscription, just not being developed further. However XnView might be good to run in parallel to see how it compares.

Hi,

I am new here and my name is andy. My forum moniker is the name of my "music project" (best if we don't go there...)

I suddenly found myself "messing around" with Affinity Designer. I am not a graphic artist, by any stretch of the imagination, but I have always been interested in creating stuff with computers. My "hands on" art skills are pretty much non-existent. I did art at school, like most people, and I wasn't very good at sketching and painting. Everything I ever did just turned into something rather abstract. Still life and landscape scenes were never going to happen for me. Even my pottery, which I was a bit better at, was abstract.

And so, since then, anything I have ever done on a computer has been somewhat abstract too.

More recently I got into creating flame fractal images, but there is no real art in that, although some peeps are very skilled at creating great 2D and 3D fractal pieces. My weapon of choice is Chaotica and I use it a lot to create album art and animations for YouTube.

In my day job I use AutoCAD as a "piping designer." And because of my CAD skills I sometimes use that to help me with artwork, logos and the like, though not that often.

Back to Affinity Designer...

I play a computer racing simulator called Gran Turismo Sport on the Playstation and you are able to create custom decals which can then be placed onto your cars. You have to create scalable vector graphics files, maximum of 15kb, and I installed Inkscape, which I am sure everyone here is familiar with. Inkscape is great, and not just because it is free. Because I sometimes want to knock something up in AutoCAD (it's just easier for somethings) Inkscape allows me to import/open DXF files. But I was having trouble with certain aspects, like gradients, when it came to uploading the finished SVG file to my Gran Turismo Sport account.

I briefly looked into Adobe Illustrator... About thirty seconds, and decided it wasn't for me. I simply hate cloud based subscription stuff. Might be my age (57).

I then downloaded the trial of Affinity Designer. On the one hand I was disappointed that I couldn't import DXF files into AD, but I found that I preferred to "draw" in AD compared to Inkscape. Not sure why... Probably because I am finding AD easier to pick up the basics.

One thing I am struggling with, still, though, is getting gradients to work in Gran Turismo Sport. It appears that there is an issue with the SVG version. Gran Turismo Sport required V1.0 or 1.1 files. A work around is to create the gradient within Adobe Illustrator, save it is a SVG Tiny 1.2 file, which you can do in Adobe Illustrator, and then open the file in notepad and change the 1.2 to 1.1 and it seems to work... Something to do with the grouping of styles within the SVG text file... Beyond my understanding at the moment...

Despite those shortfalls I decided to cough up the dosh once my trial ran out. I decided that I could carry on using it for simple Gran Turismo Sport decals and I could also explore creating my own 2D album artwork.

Regarding the DXF file issue, I now open the DXF file in Inkscape, save it to SVG and then "place" that into my AD project. It is embedded, and I can't use the paths/shapes, but I found that if I double click on the embed graphic it opens another window within AD and all the entities are paths. From there I can then cut and paste those paths into my AD project which gives me paths that I can work with. Sounds a bit long winded and I am sure there must be an easier way, but it will have to do for now.

Okay, I hope you made it this far :D

cheers

andy

On 10/06/2014 at 2:05 PM, MattP said:

Hi, I'm Matt Priestley and I'm one of the Affinity developers. I'll try to help out on any topic, but particularly anything relating to tools, views and document drawing as they're the bits I'm mostly responsible for writing.

Feel free to join me and introduce yourself, too! :)

Hi 

I'm trying to create a personalised watermark to put on my photo's. I think I should be able to make a new brush but can't seem to find out how. Help Please

• Staff

Hi DartmoorDays,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

There's already quite a few threads discussing this subject. Please take a look at those:

Affinity Photo - Add a signature to photo

Watermarks

Watermark imported as a brush in AP

Also check this one based on a text:

Text: Branding/Watermarking

Hello,

I'm Chaplain Mark, a street services Chaplain to the homeless and under-served in Sacramento California.

Have been a hobby photographer for decades, but only just a few weeks ago started post-processing my images on the computer.  

Attempted many times in years past to learn post-processing without success, and I'm so very glad to have stumbled upon Affinity Photo because it really is the only image editing software program which really appeals to me.

This past few weeks then, has been a real pleasure of a journey on the photo editing learning curve, and have been achieving real results already, with very little frustration, which is entirely different from my earlier attempts.

Very much looking forward to continuing on the learning curve and eventually, paying it forward, here on the forum...!!

Thank you,

Chaplain Mark

'Tis better to have a camera and not need one, than to need a camera and not have one.

--------

In pursuit of photographic excellence.

'Tis better to have a camera and not need one than to need a camera and not have one.

-----------------

Bonjour Mark et bienvenue.

Etre au service des plus démunis est aujourd'hui une vraie vocation qui devient de plus en plus difficile.

En tant que secouriste d'urgence (catastrophes naturelles), je sais que c'est très courageux.

Mais c'est aussi une opportunité pour vous de faire de la photographie de rue.

Bonne chance pour apprendre l'affinité.

Cordialement. 

15 hours ago, Cedge said:

Welcome Mark
Ask questions, questions and more questions. The only stupid one is the one you didn't ask.

lol......

I plan to do exactly that..!!  9_99_9

Thanks, Cedge...!!

'Tis better to have a camera and not need one than to need a camera and not have one.

-----------------

,Hi everyone my name is lenekathinka and live in Denmark,south zealand and have been using Paint Shop Pro the last 5 years. 
 I'm married to Erik and we  have two sons and two grandchildren Mathias and Mille. 
 I love to paint - reads books - Camping years round.
 I teach  65+ people to use IT most -Tablet Paint Shop Pro m.m
 Feel free to ask me if you need.
 I look forward to learn the new program!

Big hug

Hi all! My name is Kenny and I am currently making a career change at the young age of 53! Was looking just to get into the drone video and photography business and needed a program to crunch my photos with and stumbled upon this gem. Needless to say I am overwhelmed but learning day by day and enjoying every minute of the learning experience! I am hoping to get more involved with the people here and to learn more about photography and editing. Anyhow...I thought I was going to just develop cut and dry photos when the creativity side of my went berserk and created this. Any criticism is more than welcome since I want to improve on my work. Thx for this program and this forum and hope to hear from you all!

the bottle.jpg

Hello I am 5argon (sar-gon, homepage) a solo game developer of team Exceed7 Experiments (only 1 active member atm since all my friends quitted) I just joined the club because I change my credit card number and Adobe can't bill me so they automatically downgraded me to free. Before giving in to them again I feel like searching around and here I am. Changed my plan so that currently I am with After Effects single app. (Will move to Blackmagic Design Fusion soon so that I can be free of monthly payments.)

Being solo means I don't have to care about compatibility with others, and also my old .psd and .ai files seems to open fine so I am all set for this new journey.

Impressed with the amount of polish you have done. You all got my attention now. Well done!

(I also wrote an article of my experience with Designer for the first time which more details are available. I am still in trial but very likely will buy both after my 10 days end)

https://gametorrahod.com/adobe-illustrator-affinity-designer-transition-review-3b88c5127caf

Hello everyone.

New to both Affinity Photo and a new iPad Pro 12.9".  From what I have already done with both, I am really looking forward to the pairing.  Mostly shoot Nikon wildlife images and have been post processing on Capture NX2, which was a good program, though not supported anymore.  Never been a Photoshop user, so the layout and layers workflow is a tad different experience.  I can tell that AP is a power program and tool that I hope to get years of work out of.  Thanks for developing this.

Kind Regards,

Dennis

Hi there,

I'm Onkei, from France. I've recently become more serious in learning photography.
I'm interested in working on my camera raw files (Canon 800D / rebel T7i) and Affinity seems to offer a nice and efficient solution to my needs.

I also have other projects arount Affinity design, but let's start step by step !

Looking forward to start working,

Best regards,

Onkei

Greetings from Sonoma, California! Hello everybody my name is Michael. I’m an avid iPad Pro along with their Pencil user and happily, well, more than actually, an Affinity Photo enthusiast. I’m disabled with very short time spans sirring, standing & walking the iPad became my champion boosting me out of great bouts of despair after learning with each failed attempt at creating art was being met with frustration due to the physical limitations. From physical to digital with a very bossy kitty in between, even the laptop proved to be cumbersome, too hot and heavy I almost gave up till the iPad. 

The small fortune spent on styluses too, such a wasteful endeavor till Apple’s superbly stupendous Pencil hit the market when my dreams became reality. Then Affinity Photo came to the iPad and holy guacamole! I feel like a super hero along with my

Phineas J. Whoopy board (carton image below) and everything seems more than achievable now. 

The logo is from using Procreate & AP. I have to say that one of my favorite things about Photo is when isolating an image from its background that the borders are actually around the images edges so everything in The FX section is shown on that image rather than in some cases only the original border around the image is showcasing the attributes. (Valentine’s Day image with wings attached below)

Another cool image happened with an isolated Art Nuevo frame and how in AP the frame is able to showcase its edges in 3D (image below) 

Yea, so that’s my story and I’m sticking with it.

5D8BA354-05AD-4258-A740-4A25C1B924F3.jpeg

391A04E7-12A6-4C07-8C40-FD316B23D0D0.png

DAAF3328-08BC-4CD3-BF7B-75EECC637760.png

AD0F1F2F-911F-4630-9DD5-8D78FB25FCA8.jpeg

Edited by MichaelJA
Missed a word or two. Corrected

“The curses are not what they seem, prepare... they, too, have teeth.”

Hi I’m new here. I am a novice photoshop guy. Just got myself an iPad Pro 10.5. along with an iPad pencil. I watched a few YouTube demo videos about Affinity Photo and so wanted to try it out. I do not have any buddies who can manually show me and teach me, but I hope to watch videos and read posts here and learn no matter how long and difficult it might be. Take for instance ‘flipping a particular layer’ it is so different from how I am used to doing it on Photoshop and if I hadn’t come to this forum and read about how it’s done I’d have probably grown old and died before I figured it out. But once I learn how to do it it’s such a joy, almost like discovering a hidden treasure or being let in on a secret. I am slow in learning but I am determined to learn. Nice to be on this forum. God bless y’all. 

Hi all.  I JUST bought Designer...  I originally bought the Plus suite but migrated to Adobe 6 and then CC after I couldn't find many tutorials back in the day.  I was brand new at designing then and really needed some video help.  

Fast forward to now, after subscribing to CC for about 4 years now, and reducing my scope of design projects, I thought it was time to look at alternatives.  I'm happy to learn about Designer... So, just pulled the trigger and now am anxious to convert my designs to be usable in Designer.  

I make and sell custom stamps, as in address stamps, and have an Etsy store.  I'm planning to add more listings there and also to start on so other similar projects, so, I'm anxious to start going through the program.

Hi from Saint Paul, Minnesota!

• Staff

Hi gauridollar,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

If you need help with something specific/some issue just create a new thread in the Questions section or in the iPad Questions section depending on the version of the app you are using (desktop or iPad respectively). Please let us know what application you are using (Photo or Designer) and OS (Windows, Mac, etc) besides any other info/screenshots about the issue/question you are have. There's always staff and knowledgeable users around willing to help.

Hello there!

I'm Flavio Fernandes, speaking from Brazil, that far and hot land...

I drive an Ad Agency focused in pharmaceuticals business. It's a tailor-made agency, grew in the digital age that learned the cost-efficiency of nowadays.

I've been working with Photoshop since the third release, and I were in the launch event of Indesign. But for now I'm tired of Adobe CC. Actually I do believe that CC has been hold on the last years. In my opinion it is an old business forged in past standards not suitable for those years. You guys have an outstanding lineup with products that appeared to be designed for a new class of designers. An I am very impressed with the bold work that you have done.

Thank you!:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I'm More Karvonen from Helsinki, Finland. I'm an IT freelancer and SW developer. On top of coding, I'm doing lot of UI design too. And more and more involved in clients' branding work - logos, business cards and presentation templates. Even designing printed ads and brochures lately.

I've been using Photoshop CS6 for ages but really needed a tool set that can also handle vector graphics and printed publications. Adobe's offering is simply too expensive for my occasional needs. Thank god I found Serif products and I have now PagePlus X9, Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer in my toolbox. They have all the features I need and the user experience is very pleasent.

Keep up the good work, Serif team!

Hi, I'm Chris from Amsterdam, The Netherlands, long time user of Illustrator and CorelDRAW. Recently bought both AD and AP and hardly ever touch the competitor's programs anymore. I am impressed with what Serif has accomplished with AD and AP and am very much looking forward to work with Publisher. I used to be an airbrush artist, but have switched to digital art creation (on Windows) not too long ago. I am very happy with Serif's products, because Corel is too buggy and Adobe too expensive. I am sure Serif's strategy will cause them to rapidly gain a significant share of the graphic market. I was just wondering, is a web editor included in the future plans? It would make the suit complete.

My favorite occupation is creating portraits (although I do lots of other graphic work) and am in the process of teaching myself to create vector portraits. Which is an other reason I am very happy with AD.

Home: https://vectorwhiz.com  : : : :  Portfolio blog: https://communicats.blogspot.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - my name is Andrew, and I'm a photographer. I found Affinity after deciding that I could no longer accept Adobe's hegemony. I'm working via a Macbook Pro + a cinema display + Wacom Intuos 4 tablet and I've found Affinity Photo to be an absolute delight so far. That the software runs my beloved Nik Plugins was a deciding factor in choosing Serif in tandem with Serif's fair pricing.

I'm enjoying the learning curve and looking forward to mastering the elements of Affinity I need to do my work to the highest possible standard.

Best regards,

Andrew.

Hello! Super new. An Apple store representative pointed me in the direction of Affinity Photo for the iPad and I was instantly hooked. I plan on getting Photo / Designer for my Mac, and hopefully Designer for the iPad when it is released. I already have Photo for the iPad. I'm a hobbyist with a camera (still learning my T6), but primarily love to draw. I also do graphic designs on occasion, so Designer will be great.
I'm glad to move away from Adobe, as I didn't want to pay $xxx a year for a handful of programs. Although I still use Adobe at work, I can't wait to learn more about Affinity.