You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

Hi, Eric again.

I'm reintroducing myself only with a sense of urgency this time. I purchased Affinity Photo through the Microsoft store and now I don't have a key. Without the key I am unable install the Beta version and maybe future updates. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

37 minutes ago, eric1514 said:

Hi, Eric again.

I'm reintroducing myself only with a sense of urgency this time. I purchased Affinity Photo through the Microsoft store and now I don't have a key. Without the key I am unable install the Beta version and maybe future updates. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

You said Microsoft store? Could it be that you accidentally purchased an unofficial version? For Windows users, Affinity has its own store for buying Affinity products. For Mac users, it's on the Mac App Store. To my knowledge, there is no other Affinity official place where they sell products. I recommend returning your product and buying it on the Affinity Store instead.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

27 minutes ago, Bri-Toon said:

You said Microsoft store? Could it be that you accidentally purchased an unofficial version? For Windows users, Affinity has its own store for buying Affinity products. For Mac users, it's on the Mac App Store. To my knowledge, there is no other Affinity official place where they sell products. I recommend returning your product and buying it on the Affinity Store instead.

No. The Microsoft Store is legit and it sells legit copies of Affinity software. They have for quite a while. 

2 hours ago, eric1514 said:

I purchased Affinity Photo through the Microsoft store and now I don't have a key. Without the key I am unable install the Beta version and maybe future updates.

You'll certainly be able to get updates through the Microsoft Store, but I don't think they currently have a mechanism for validating customer betas if you don't have the desktop version from the Affinity Store.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

How stupid from me...
I´ve been here a while now and i was looking for a thread or anything else to introduce myself.. and now i found it.
I´m getting old.... 50 years are to much to find it fast :8_laughing:

But better late than never.

So.. yes. My Name is Uwe, im 50 years old (or young), i´m living in germany near Koblenz and i´m working for 20 years in graphic arts. It´s my hobby and a nice compensation to my main job.
After 15 years working with photoshop i was looking for an alternativ for photoshop and Co and i found it in the Software from Affinity and i was nice suprised.

I hope my english is good enough that you understand me and somtimes i have hold help from a translator, but i do my best.

Best regards and Happy new Year :)

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

You'll certainly be able to get updates through the Microsoft Store, but I don't think they currently have a mechanism for validating customer betas if you don't have the desktop version from the Affinity Store.

Kinda strange. I paid the same price as everyone else for an authorized copy of the software from an approved Affinity retailer and yet I don't have a product key and do not have the same privileges as other users. This should have been spelled out. I would have bought the software from Affinity directly had I known. 

17 minutes ago, Uvinnie said:

How do you start a new topic on this forum?

Go to the home page at https://forum.affinity.serif.com, click on a forum or subforum title (e.g. 'Feature Requests, Suggestions and Feedback' or 'iPad Questions') and then click on the large black 'Start new topic' button near the top right of the page.

Alfred spacer.png

7 hours ago, eric1514 said:

No. The Microsoft Store is legit and it sells legit copies of Affinity software. They have for quite a while. 

Ah sorry about giving you the wrong information. I just discovered this for myself. At one point, the Windows versions of Affinity were exclusive on the Affinity store, so I thought it was still the case. Some times it can just be hard to keep track of the news, you know?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Hi Yall, Im Lindsey Webb.,  yes in Texas.. Affinity was a suggestion from a friend in DP Review

I have been looking for a post processing software thats a little easier to use than Photoshop Cs6.. I still use it but at my age of 71 I need something thats easy to use etc

Photography has been my passion since back in the early 1970s.. from film now to Digital..

10 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

Ah sorry about giving you the wrong information. I just discovered this for myself. At one point, the Windows versions of Affinity were exclusive on the Affinity store, so I thought it was still the case. Some times it can just be hard to keep track of the news, you know?

No problem. I was browsing for a small app in the Microsoft Store to do some retouching with when I stumbled upon Affinity. At the special pricing I couldn't resist so I bought it. Wishing I hadn't at this point as it seems Affinity doesn't fully support the product if you buy from MS.

• Staff

Hi eric1514,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

We do fully support our apps no matter where you have bought them. There's a few restrictions/differences when running the app on a sandboxed environment (Mac App Store and Microsoft Store) but functionally the apps are identical. Regarding running the Beta along with the Microsoft Store version, this isn't currently possible (it's the first time we launch a product here) but we do hope to have it solved as we get acquainted with the Microsoft Store.

40 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi eric1514,

We do fully support our apps no matter where you have bought them. There's a few restrictions/differences when running the app on a sandboxed environment (Mac App Store and Microsoft Store) but functionally the apps are identical. Regarding running the Beta along with the Microsoft Store version, this isn't currently possible (it's the first time we launch a product here) but we do hope to have it solved as we get acquainted with the Microsoft Store.

Perhaps "support" was too harsh a term, but the fact remains that those of us that bought our legitimate copies of Affinity Photo at an Affinity authorized retailer do not have a product key. Not being able to install the beta makes me wonder if I will be able to install future updates. That's all. 

38 minutes ago, eric1514 said:

Perhaps "support" was too harsh a term, but the fact remains that those of us that bought our legitimate copies of Affinity Photo at an Affinity authorized retailer do not have a product key. Not being able to install the beta makes me wonder if I will be able to install future updates. That's all. 

As I said in an earlier post to this thread, you'll certainly be able to get updates in the usual way via the Microsoft Store. The question of validating customer betas is a separate issue.

Alfred spacer.png

• Staff

Hi eric1514,

The Microsoft Store and Apple Mac Store don't work with product keys. That's the way they were designed. Your purchases are automatically associated with your Mac or Microsoft Store accounts. All updates are delivered through their update system, so yes you will receive all future updates (for free until version 2.0). 

The Beta is a totally different subject. Not all software developers provide public/customers betas nor it's part of the product itself. We do it so we can gather feedback from those who wish to try it/participate in the Beta phase and to detect bugs/issues on a wider system base before updating the retail version. Users who are using the application for commercial/critical work shouldn't be working with the Beta at all.

The usual updates you should be receiving are the ones for commercial use (the final thing). The customer betas, which you won't at this time be receiving, are only for testing purposes meant to lead up to the commercial release. Just keep in mind that it will take time for the next commercial release to launch. The beta testing is a long process.

Hello there

I'm delighted to discover at long, long, last a least partial replacement for the late lamented Freehand. I understand that some of the more advanced text handling facilities which Designer lacks are likely to be incorporated into a future product? That's a shame for me as I would have like to have had an 'all-in-one' solution for producing graphic friendly newsletters and the like, but on the other hand Designer's incorporation of bitmap editing tools is a bonus. I purchased my copy from the Mac app store having used the demo version to prove that the product does what I need it to do. My question is: do I not get any kind of serial number for the product? and my supplementary question is  - what's the procedure for when I'm ready to walk on the wild side and try Beta copies?

• Staff

Hi John Fleet,

There's no product keys for Mac App Store apps. The download app already includes an encrypted receipt that associates the app with the Apple ID used to buy it. If you need to (re)install it later on that or other computer your control/own just run the Mac App Store app, make sure you are signed-in with the same Apple ID used to buy it then go to the Purchased tab on top and click the Install button in front of the app's name from the list below. To update them go to the Updates section (on top as well) and click the Update button in from of the app's name from the available updates list below.

If you decide to install the Beta, go to the respective Beta section in our forums, download the .dmg file from the (usually) pinned post on the top of the section and install it on your computer. To do it double-click the .dmg file and drag the Affinity app icon there to the Applications folder on the right inside the same window. The only requirement is that you keep the Mac App Store version installed to validate and run the Beta (otherwise the Beta will not run). Also note that files created in the Betas - which usually have new/improved features/functionality - may not open in the Mac App Store version due to the file format changes necessary to accommodate these changes. For that and other reasons don't use the Betas for critical/commercial work.

Hi all, I have recently bagged myself an iPad Pro and an Pencil and this was the first app I bought. Amazing stuff!

I am a little rusty from my photoshop days so having to learn it all over again lol

I enjoy creating designs for my YouTube channel and hopefully I will be able to help out around here eventually

I guess I haven't introduced myself properly. I'm Ian from Leeds in GB.I have used a variety of graphics arts progs on DOS, Windows (3.1 - 10) and MacOS. Along the way this has included now obscure titles such as Newsmaster DTP, Express Publisher and Arts & Letters (anyone remember any of these?)

Aldus PageMaker 4.0 was the first ''professional" application I owned. I then upgraded to PM 6.0, 6.5 and 7.0. In this period I bought a cut down version of CorelDraw based on version 7.0. Soon afterwards I purchased Adobe CS 1.0 at the education rate as I was a mature student doing a graphics course at university. This led to CS 2, 3 and 4. I skipped versions 5, 5.5 and 6. The Adobe CC came along which made me go back to CorelDraw. So it was CorelDraw X6 to X8 which I still have.

Sadly Corel are dipping their toes ever more into the subscription pool (after luring me and others with an upgrade offer from Adobe CC ironically). And it not seems they have embarked upon a yearly upgrade path. Which would not be so bad if they were not charging the same as when they were producing every 2 years.

I stumbled upon Affinity Designer which was only £29.99 at the time. So it was pretty much a ''what the hell'' purchase. Initially disappointed due to not having as many features as CorelDraw, I am impressed with the regular updates and confident AD will grow and catch up. Recently ordered and downloaded Affinity Photo. Waiting eagerly for Affinity Publisher. 

On 01/01/2018 at 1:49 PM, eric1514 said:

Hello

My name is Eric. Affinity Photo is the first software of its kind I have purchased. At the special pricing, I couldn't refuse and I am pleasantly overwhelmed by all the things it can do.

My only question at this time is since I purchased this product through the Microsoft store, am I properly registered so that I can receive notices of updates?

TIA and Happy New Year to you.

Welcome to the forum Eric :)