You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

5 hours ago, DSNet said:

First time I have heard about Publisher. Is this a replacement for PagePlus?

BTW, I've been a Serif customer since PagePlus 3 came out ( .... probably last century! ) and ended up buying just about every version of every product you've made (even WebPlus , which, sadly, was consistently unusable,imo, as a 'proper' web development environment).

Affinity Publisher will only be a replacement for PagePlus in a sales and marketing sense. Like Designer and Photo, it won’t be able to open native files from its predecessor. (And yes, you’re correct about PP3. It was released in the mid-1990s.)

Many would disagree with your appraisal of WebPlus, but it does have its limitations (particularly for anyone wishing to create adaptive or responsive websites).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

57 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Many would disagree with your appraisal of WebPlus, but it does have its limitations (particularly for anyone wishing to create adaptive or responsive websites).

Maybe I was being overly harsh but , yes , it was the lack of responsiveness and also the vast amount of bespoke code that was produced that made it hard work to play with outside of WebPlus. It did work perfectly well within its limitations and provided a quick and easy way to produce static sites. However , for my purposes,  I kept returning to Drupal and , once it had evolved, WordPress, in order to properly manage the database design , create themes and develop plugins. These open source solutions had their own issues, and Drupal in particular had quite a steep learning curve, but I didn't get the same frustration that WebPlus induced in me. Perhaps it's because I had been a programmer for over 20 years and used to rummaging around under the hood, so to speak.

Hello,
I'm from Finland, and have been using Adobe Lightroom about ten years. Towards the end of the last year, I've been looking for a more powerful editing tool, some kind of substitute for Adobe Photoshop (I neither do like it nor their new policy). This is how I got to test the Affinity Photo for Windows, and decided to buy it on January 2017. After familiarizing one year, AP seems to be a great piece of software and it's been a pleasure to learn, just watching the video turorials - impressive (special thanks to very clear narrative).

Now I should replace my standalone Lightroom before it gets too old: it can not convert my new camera raw or it do not run in my new operating system version. The new one should be something like LR, but the image editing is not needed to be as powerfull as LR has. I think the optimum replacement for me would (in this order):

1. have a good raw conversion
  2. have a good DAM (digital asset management) (LR has a good one)
  3. have only a minimal image editing capability (like LR basic functions panel) - for only to get images good enough for browsing (more editing is done in external Affinity Photo for best images)

Hope Affinity will be investing in DAM too.

Purchased Affinity Photo a little while ago and I need to learn, learn, learn. Our RV Resort (55+) has an active Photo Club of which I'm a member of and a couple of them recommended your software. While I'm over whelmed currently, I do hope to learn step by step. I read about your first (and new) book of instructions. I was ready to purchase (very limited budget at over 75 years old) but the extra cost of shipping and handling 'scared me away'.  ;-( Thanks for your software discussion groups. They have been highly recommended. Sam

Hello, my name is Dave, really looking forward to using Affinity Photo on my Mac, Epson printer and see what I can produce. I have never really used any serious editing applications like this, so not a Lightroom or Photoshop etc convert, saw the reviews etc and wanted to buy it for a very reasonable price, with no subscription charges...... excellent. Got Photo 1.6 and the extra freebies to boot, even better.

Hi all looking forward to tackling obsticals and getting help from all or any many as possible if I get stuck.

Regards

Dave.

Hi everyone, I'm Michał Borowiec,  about 31-ish proffesional graphic designer and DTP operator based in Upper Silesia district of Poland. For about 15 years using product's from Adobe, and now, for about two monts testing alternatives from Serif. Can't wait to have hands on newcomming Publisher, to get rid of poor business model from Adobe.

Hello. I like photography and was up tonight play with Affinity Photo. A lot to learn. I switched from Adobe, had the Web Suite for a long time.

I am software engineer. I have Mac. I am outdoors person and like to take photos. Just got back into photography about a year ago.

Looking forward to enjoying the forum and learning from folks.

Hello all.

My name is Rene, my display name is Reneraw. STarted off with Affinity a couple of weeks ago. I use a Sony A7.

I am going to look for a place in this forum about how Affinity responds to the AWR files becausething is not quite right. In any case Hi to you all and I hope I will create wonderfull photo's with Affinity in the future.

Hi I'm Harry,

The only other forum I have had experience with is a motoring forum and that works slightly different to the Affinity Forum so please excuse me if I post in the wrong section or make any other silly mistakes.

I joined because I feel I should upgrade from Serif so I have been looking at the free trial version about which I have some questions. My first problem is one of navigating around this Forum. I want to post a question about Designer and I use a P.C. running on Windows 10 but I can only find a sub section for iPad questions. Can I use that to post a question other than for iPad users?

Hello everyone, names is Martin. Been a lurker for sometime but owned Affinity Designer & Affinity Photo since their release on Windows. Keen wildlife photographer particularly birds, and enjoy trying to create imagery using Affinity Designer as a hobbyist.

Loving the apps and looking forward to future developments especially a lightroom killer and a Publishing app.

Thanks for all the hints and tips from my previous visits and to the Affinity team for their excellent video tuts.

Hi I'm Artur. I work as a graphic designer for twenty years. Since 2011 I run my own business. I work on Windows. Until now I used Photoshop CS6, but last year I started to use Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer. These programs helped me to improve my projects and to reduce costs.

Hello,

My name is Frank; I am a freelancer under the name Pixelink Media. I do graphic design, as well as video, desktop publishing, web design and multimedia animation.

I have been an Adobe CC subscriber for the last 2 years, and after the horrible PR and customer support of CC, and the fact that so many bugs are not being fixed. If you visit Adobe forums, you will see all the enraged people. Adobe just don't care about it's users. I have decided to start gathering other software programs and replacing CC.

When I ran across Affinity Designer and gave it a spin... I was like... okay... this will replace Illustrator. And even though the current version is missing some AI features... AD has enough to make the switch.

Affinity Designer is much easier to use than AI.... enough said!!!

I have almost all my apps in place before I cut ties with CC.

I currently own CorelDraw so that takes care of Photo Editing, Tracing vector (even though it's not as good as AI), and desktop publishing.

I am seeing that Affinity Publisher is on the Horizon, and I may get the Affinity Photo too.

One app I think you guys may want to tackle down the road is replacing Adobe Animate.

There is an app that is the closest to it called Soalo Animate... but it is missing some key features for true Web Animation.

I am looking forward to Affinity being my main software chain... everything is looking great!

Keep up the great work and you will see more people ditching that Adobe CC nonsense.

:)

Hello I'm iranian girl

I'm tourlider and  a photographer in italy. I'm looking with interest the new beta Affinity Photo. I use Apple Aperture as my primary file management & photo editing software. I was very disappointed when Apple announced they are ending support for Aperture. For me it was & is the best for my workflow. I especially like the editing brushes which I think are still the best. I've been using Affinity Photo for the past week and although I understand it is in beta and will not fret over obvious missing beta features and beta quirks. I would really like to see support for the mac mighty mouse or trackpad in being able to adjust the size of the brushes. Common now, to utilize an age old adobe keystroke seems a bit dated not to mention time consuming. I'm hoping this will be featured in the final release. I'm having to learn some of the nomenclature of AP so it's been somewhat slow in understanding all the features and functions. I will say I like the interface but would  most likely week it if it was mine to redo. The brushes as somewhat troublesome to me in that I can't see the hardness. I think it should be like Aperture.

Well I just realized this was supposed to be an intro not a critique so I'll end it here but look forward to seeing AP developed into a final version. 

Just thinking about it.my site is : http://www.amitistravel.com

تور استانبول

Jerry here.  I'm retired now and on a fixed income.  I was pleased to drop finally Adobe and their subscription plan (I "bit the bullet" and paid the bailout fee to quit early and went to Designer and Photo (and will purchase Publisher when available.)

(05mar2020) Ryzen 1800x, Gigabyte AX370 K7, Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB NVME-M.2 SSD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G2 PS, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 442.50 (01mar20), LG Ultra HD (2), Win 10 Pro x64 18363.657, Affinity Photo/Designer 1.8.1.604 beta & Publisher 1.8.2.603 beta

Hi,

Ray (from Ireland). Getting into photography using a Panasonic Lumix FZ82. Needed good photo editing software and no way was I getting pulled into a subscription based model. 3 days into a 10 day trial of AP I had my mind up and purchased it today. Even have the Google NIK Collection plugins registered with it. Happy Days. Keep up the excellent work guys!!

Hi all.

I'm Adam.

I live in central part of Poland.

Photography is my hobby, i've started to take a pictures about 2 years ago, with my first Olympus camera.

i've owned the AP with Beta version and then i switched to full version (when it came year ago).

I'm amateur in both: photography and post-processing as well, but i'm open and i want to learn.

Hope will get a lot of good advices from and will be able to help to others soon.

I want to also to wish You: Merry Christmas!

6 hours ago, Ulinski_a said:

I want to also to wish You: Merry Christmas!

Merry Christmas to you too, and welcome to the forum.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Hello, I'm Raymond Heichelbech, 75 year old amature. I have dabbled in most of the photo softwares and have not found 1 that I can say I really like. Saw the 10 day trial for "Affinity" and thought I would give this one a try. So far am still looking at the tutorials and youtube videos. Liking what I see so far and hoping that it keeps going that way.