You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

• Staff

Hi jimmacz,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
There's no such thing as stupid questions. Fell free to ask anything you need/want to know. There's plenty of people around willing to help.
You may want to take a look an the Official Video Tutorials for Affinity Photo, Photo for iPad and Designer. They are a great way to start. There's also a few more learning resources listed here.

@Welcome everyone.

On ‎30‎-‎08‎-‎2017 at 0:37 AM, SrPx said:

Could it be of help to you disabling certain Windows Service ?  

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/2c220l/tip_for_drawingpen_use_on_surface_pro_3_palm/

I have done that in the past for other reasons. And one person there suggests Autohotkey free utility to perfect even more the solution . I use sth similar for other matters (X-Mouse Button Control) and those things can become really handy. but the main thing is disabling the feature for a whole session of Photo if you don't plan anything else needing that... As you said Surface, you are on windows. you can enable/disable this service easily. ("Run.." at Start Menu, and type services.msc, or better, do a shortcut icon in the Windows task bar. And even better, the autohotkey shortcut). I know, Surface tends to do those little dots due to palm rejection issues. I'd disable that service as mentioned, for drawing. Oh, wait....it's a Surface...that may lead you to handle the whole program and windows with the pen (for me, no biggy, but other ppl is less used to that). Also am the kind of guy who always tries to plug a traditional mouse to that kind of thing...(defeating all advantages, I suppose)

No that is not an option for me, as I have other options for painting, where I dont have to turn a service off, so Photo will not be used. However, should it be a part of Photo natively, then I would definitely switch, but as it is right now - photo collects dust.. 

Hello everyone,

just a quick introduction:

José Andrade from Portugal and currently living in Germany.

I feel in love with photography and I am learning everyday on how to enhance my post-editing skills, as well as how to shoot photographs properly!

I am really enjoying the software (Affinity Photo for windows) so far, although I am running into some problems regarding color management, but hopefully all will be sorted out soon. But the experience has been quite great nonetheless!

All the best,

-JA

Hi there, I'm Rich. I'm new to Serif products. I've been using Adobe products since CS3 and was told about Designer, and how it is very competitive to Illustrator, so I gave it a shot. Still in the learning curve phase; but so far, I don't have anything negative to say about the software other than unfamiliarity. I am a big fan of publishing layout design (and InDesign), so I can't wait to see what Affinity Publisher has in store. Glad to join the Serif family of design products, and excited to see what is in store.

Hello, I'm Chris and I've been working with Photoshop and Illustrator for years. But now is the time to try something different, so I came to Affinity.
For me, it was a challenge and without the numerous tutorials, it would have been much more difficult. These tuts are very well done and are very helpful.
In the meantime, I think I already quite well and I miss the Adobe products are no longer missing.

Greetings from Austria

Chris

Hello to everyone, I am Frank and live in central Oregon. Recently retired and starting my hobby of photography. Was looking for a photo editing program and came across Affinity photo which I am going 

through the tutorials and so far I have been very happy with the program.

I have a question regarding photo printers. Has anyone used the Canon PIXMA PRO-100 Wireless Professional Inkjet Photo Printer I see it on B&H for $379.00 with a $250.00 rebate from Canon.

Presently I am looking for a photo printer and wondering if the one by Canon is a good for a starter?  I notice the ink is not cheap for this printer but I guess you get what you pay for. Any recommendations would be appreciated. 

Thank you.

I forgot to introduce myself, but I want to say that I am loving Designer so far. I am now a current user of Krita for everything, and I'm looking forward to use Affinity Photo or even combining two programs into my workflow to get something better than Photoshop at a lower price. Right now, I am combining Inkscape and Designer, and loving it.

Agreeing with that very much, Reptorian. I do love those two open source applications (specially Krita, I paint a lot with it)  (yet tho, Blender keeps being my favorite open source application, and each update confirms this, almost exponentially, Wings3D too, just because....well nothing faster/this flexible in my hands for 3D modeling) . And have combined the use of Inkscape with Designer, too.  But...except for some functions (where Inkscape singularly shines even compared with uber expensive software), I believe Designer is going to be -actually, is, already-  my "main" design/vectors application. Slowly but firmly (in the past I purchased many apps in the range of 500 - 2000 $, and those are the ones taking dust now, while Affinity instead is a total win, for me), my tool set has become totally mid/low cost and free/open source (I have purchase a pair of other 2D apps, for specific uses). IMO, these worlds complement each other.  It's an absolutely winning combination. requires a little more effort (IMO, the gap is very little lately. Many years ago it was really really worse), but the reward is immense in every sense. IE, my main app for mail, (also with IMAP accounts) is Thunderbird, which is open source, from Mozilla, and I use exclusively Libre Office (as I don't need very specific compatibility, for some special cases). And even so..... I need TOTALLY for professional work a good number of affordable cost but professional level applications : Besides the most important, Affinity (indeed, they ARE they future, in my opinión, not only the present),  there's Unwrap 3D, and several others (not many, is not a large collection) that add that essential edge/completeness for professional work. Clients very happy, so, is a matter of fact ! :)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Charles from Litchfield Park, AZ.  Just started using Affinity Photo on Windows a little over a month ago and absolutely love this program for my photos. Been a user of Corel PaintShop Pro since 1999, so I'm quite comfortable with it.  Even wrote a number of scripts (python) for the software.   This application simply blows it away.  Now, almost everything I do is done in AP. Since I'm a script writer , I'm excited to watch AP macro language mature so I can convert my scripts to AP. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, this is Henning from Germany.

I'm a full-time media designer with a little agency I as a side job . :P

So far, the AD and AP look good to me, some learning required though… I've been working with programs from Adobe for 17 years now (photoshop even longer), but I'm still capable of learning new ways to get a job done :9_innocent:

Now I'm waiting for Affinity Publisher and I might switch completely.

Hello to all,

I am new to Designer but used to be a keen Corel Draw user before it got too expensive. Being a Mac user Corel Draw do not support the IOS platform. I enjoy Affinity Design, its features, its ease of use and of course the price for an evolving tremendous app .  

Now retired I am keen to explore this and may also invest in the Photo app too. I think your support to this app is amazing, well done everyone.

Hello! I am rridgeback55/Richard: Hope I am finally in the right place to ask this. I do not do these sights much.

How do I buy this puppy? Been on the Apple Store etc etc Cannot get to the point of buying Affinity Photo?????? It describes the program, but no notation to click on and purchase. Apple App Store nada. Never seen anything like this.

17 minutes ago, Siimba55 said:

How do I buy this puppy? Been on the Apple Store etc etc Cannot get to the point of buying Affinity Photo?????? It describes the program, but no notation to click on and purchase. Apple App Store nada. Never seen anything like this.

Please see the replies in your thread here, Richard.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I can't remember what I said when I introduced myself on this topic, but at the time, I think I may have explained myself in a bit of a strange way. A reason why I really like Affinity is because it flows differently than the way competition does, and that alone, is a very powerful move. I tend to find more style from the ways of the past whether they be movies, music, UI designs, and quite a lot. And I actually have a hard time appreciating a lot of modern products just because I feel the art isn't what it should be. I feel "competition" may have become too much of a standard guideline when there are still other considerations. My point is, I think Affinity really stands out, and this is coming from someone very picky and sees art very differently. It might be a while until it happens, but I really think Affinity has a strong chance of changing the industry standard for design. They don't just compete; they follow a certain formula.

I hope Affinity always stays in this form. Over the years, things do change due to expansion, but staying true to the original and staying in theme is the key. Affinity has so many good initiatives, and I hope they keep it up.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Hi all, I have been a Photoshop user from way back, and since they changed from 'suite' to 'cloud' I have been looking for just what Affinity offers. I have just finished my first abstract and it was an easy transition for me. But the photo editing remains ahead. So many thanks to all the developers for helping to create this legacy product, and at the same time not trying to nickel and dime us for the use of the license. Love what I see so far, but lots more to explore.

Let me ask, other than tutorials, what s the next best way to read and learn about the features? Online, here, or within Affinity>Help?

Thanks

Edited by RCPhotos_FineArtAmerica
Spell check

Light, Subject, Focus, DOF, Background, Edit, Learn

59ef645ca6e4e_IMG_7558LightBeneathFAAcopy300x100.jpg.d53988f0690ebe508047421cdc137023.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/06/2014 at 2:05 PM, MattP said:

Hi, I'm Matt Priestley and I'm one of the Affinity developers. I'll try to help out on any topic, but particularly anything relating to tools, views and document drawing as they're the bits I'm mostly responsible for writing.

Feel free to join me and introduce yourself, too! :)

Hi I'm new to affinity, just watched the first tutorial and can't find the infill brush tool on my screen.  Its not in the same place as in the tutorial? help please!

Hi, Brand new member, though I don't actually have any of the programs! Working on a brand spanking new MacBook. Having issues purchasing from the Apple Store, not getting the option to purchase but I have contacted Apple and hope to get it sorted out. I did download a free trial but been so busy I didn't get much time to spend at it, looked very promising though. It seems a better option than having to remortgage the house to buy Photoshop and InDesign!

• Staff

Hi Shuffle65,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Not sure if this is the problem/issue but you must be signed-in in the Mac App Store to be able to purchase the apps. Open the Mac App Store (Featured section on top), then click the Sign in link in the Quick Links section on the right. Fill your Apple ID details and you should then be able to purchase apps.

On 10/6/2017 at 11:34 AM, RCPhotos_FineArtAmerica said:

Let me ask, other than tutorials, what s the next best way to read and learn about the features? Online, here, or within Affinity>Help?

Thanks

Sorry for the late response. Questions may get lost in this thread of the forum. There is a topic of an online index of both Photo and Designer that may help. 

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I am a really new user and Meb helped me out about a month ago when I could not find how to put my logo on my photos.

I must admit I have not done anything else since then as I am still so confused with this programe. My question now is I thought about putting it on my ipad 

and went into Apple apps only to find that i would have to pay another £19.99 to have it on that device. Surely as I have already paid the full price for it to be on my macbook there must be away that one can download it onto my ipad ?? 

Thank you 

Fairouz