You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

5 hours ago, Cheney said:

Hi my name is Gordon

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Gordon. :)

5 hours ago, Cheney said:

Can you please advise how to download the examples photos. When I clink on them as instructed the tick in the cloud icon just turns to a red cross and nothing happens.

When I click on one of the cloud icons (or on the associated circular image itself) on the Welcome screen in Affinity Photo on Windows, the download arrow on the cloud icon changes to a red cross to indicate that I can click on it again to cancel the download. At the same time, the white circle around the associated image changes into a progress bar, showing me how much of the download has completed. If none of the latter is happening for you, please post to a new thread to make sure that your question is seen by others who may be able to offer some helpful suggestions.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi, My name is Melanie. I'm a structrual engineer from Pittsburgh. I have been using Affinity Photo as a Photoshop replacement for about a year now. I fell in love with the program and now joined the forums to stay up-to-date with any other photo software launches/betas to replace Adobe products. Cannot wait for a Lightroom replacement.

2 hours ago, xMWayne said:

Cannot wait for a Lightroom replacement.

Welcome aboard, Melanie. And a Lightroom replacement is currently being developed. B|

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Hey All

I am Marco, just moved too Affinity from adobe a couple of months ago. And have to say I'm luv'in it more and more, everyday. Especially Designer, even bought the book! Is more my area.

But I have photo as well; just not needed it much yet, I am sure I will soon.

Awesome software at a sensible price!! 

xx guys keep it up!

14 hours ago, croba said:

Hey All

I am Marco, just moved too Affinity from adobe a couple of months ago. And have to say I'm luv'in it more and more, everyday. Especially Designer, even bought the book! Is more my area.

But I have photo as well; just not needed it much yet, I am sure I will soon.

Awesome software at a sensible price!! 

xx guys keep it up!

Welcome to the Affinity forum, Marco. And same here. I have Photo as well, but Designer is more of my program. Coming from Illustrator, it is so much more persistent even if it may not have all the same features. I've been using it I think since May of 2016? And I still love it. I'm glad it's working for you. In Illustrator, to flip a selection, right click, Transform, another window opens, then reflect, then click Okay. Oh man, too much.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Hi Marco. I'm in the same boat as you. Loving Designer more day by day. The book has been a great help in understanding the fundamentals, and have found the tutorial examples fantastic. My confidence is growing in this program and in my abilities. Using Illustrator everyday at work, and moving to Designer at night is getting much easier. There's plenty to love and learn. Great work Serif-ers!

On ‎8‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 1:09 PM, maspick said:

Hey There!

I'm a 60-something, born-again, computer geek, photographer, musician and one-time sword fight choreographer.  I own a web development business, Picks Pix & Web, that incorporates photography. I live & work (though now semi-retired) at web development and photography with my wife Carolyn and our kitty, Casmir (though the work ethic of the kitty is questionable at best) in Davenport, Iowa, USA. Our children are grown and raising families of their own, which of course means grandkids for us to love and spoil.

I am a new Affinity Photo user, transitioning from the world of Adobe which I am all too familiar with! d;¬{D

Hey maspick! Davenport, IA here also!!! It's a small world, that's for sure... :)

Hello all, 

My name is Carsten and I work as a Designer and Digital sculptor at LEGO in Billund, Denmark. My daily work is in 3D, mainly using Zbrush, but lately I have found an interest in vector drawing. I do a lot of sketching in my spare time on my Surface PRO 4 and wanted to trace my drawings, making them have a different look than what I am used to. So having tried the Illustrator and Affinity Designer trials, I decided to go for Affinity as it catered so much more for the creativity, than Illustrator did. Yeah, AI has more features, but the tools was working against me, while Affinity works with and for me. Oh, I also bought Photo, but since it doesn't support palm rejection it is horrible to paint in, so crossing my fingers for that as a feature in the future :D

Keep up the good work, 

Carsten

Could it be of help to you disabling certain Windows Service ?  

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/2c220l/tip_for_drawingpen_use_on_surface_pro_3_palm/

I have done that in the past for other reasons. And one person there suggests Autohotkey free utility to perfect even more the solution . I use sth similar for other matters (X-Mouse Button Control) and those things can become really handy. but the main thing is disabling the feature for a whole session of Photo if you don't plan anything else needing that... As you said Surface, you are on windows. you can enable/disable this service easily. ("Run.." at Start Menu, and type services.msc, or better, do a shortcut icon in the Windows task bar. And even better, the autohotkey shortcut). I know, Surface tends to do those little dots due to palm rejection issues. I'd disable that service as mentioned, for drawing. Oh, wait....it's a Surface...that may lead you to handle the whole program and windows with the pen (for me, no biggy, but other ppl is less used to that). Also am the kind of guy who always tries to plug a traditional mouse to that kind of thing...(defeating all advantages, I suppose)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Hi everyone! My name is Yurii, Im a 3D visualization artist trying to switch from PS to Affinity photo! So far Im blown away by this piece of software, but for my complete comfort I still have some questions and misunderstandings that I do want to resolve before I switch to it completely! 

Again, nice meeting everyone, thank you for this amazing software and keep up the good work!

YURII

On 8/26/2017 at 10:19 AM, James Peachee said:

Hey maspick! Davenport, IA here also!!! It's a small world, that's for sure... :)

Yeah, but as Steven Wright said, "It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to paint it!" d;¬{D

Hi everybody in this serif-family. I'm really happy that serif made 2 new famous programs with Photo and Designer.

I have tested Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer on my win10 machine. Suddenly I had the chance to buy an iMac (from 2011)

for a little bit of money. I thought this might be a good Idea to do my graphics-hobby with this machine. So I bought 

Photo and Designer. And a bit later I ordered the "Designer-Workbook"

I must tell you; next to my decision to buy a mac my best decision was to buy Photo and Designer.

My (2011) iMac runs perfectly with "High Sierra" (Beta)  and the usual suspects.:)

Thank you for making such good Programs.

Jay

--- Das ist meine Meinung und keine Rechtsberatung ---

--- This is my opinion and no legal advice ---

On 8/7/2017 at 11:26 PM, Bri-Toon said:

As for the bugs, 1.6 will be available as a free update for those who purchased a previous version. Do keep in mind that there is an even later version than your purchase, but it is in beta. Once it is complete, you can update free of charge. If you would like to beta test the upcoming version and test how the nasty bugs have addressed, then you can do so here.

Thanks Bri-Toon, I am aware of the 1.6 Beta but feel that I should continue with 1.5 rather than start on something new.  When 1.6 is released it will hopefully be fine tuned by more experienced persons than myself.

I am now spending several hours every day with Affinity Photo (AF) and my biggest stumbling block is Photoshop.  I have used PS for so long that I expect AF tools to be in the same place as in PS, and expect the tools to work in the same way.  Some do, many do not.  There is also a distinct lack of help files and tutorials. 

Edited by Searcher1851
Found the answer.

7 minutes ago, Searcher1851 said:

Is there a better way?

So you are looking into merging the adjustment layers so they are nested with the regular layers. By default in Affinity Photo (opposite of Designer), each adjustment gets its own layer. If you prefer to set it up like Designer in which the layer and adjustments are merged (nested), then go into View > Assistant Manager, and check off the third from the last option. Now anytime you create an adjustment with a layer selected, it will be nested within that layer. However, since you already made adjustments with that option unchecked, you will have to drag each adjustment in each layer you want.

59a9e0b4cb91d_AssistantManager.png.47764ff6712b72598ef86fb4fbfa1517.png

Thank you.  I should say that all my AF edits currently are just part of the learning curve. None are for the archives, just process any old image to destruction if need be, then move on.  I found the "Add Snapshot" command in the Document menu, but previously read the "help" which said that Snapshots had to be created in Develop. 

18 minutes ago, Searcher1851 said:

Thank you.  I should say that all my AF edits currently are just part of the learning curve. None are for the archives, just process any old image to destruction if need be, then move on.  I found the "Add Snapshot" command in the Document menu, but previously read the "help" which said that Snapshots had to be created in Develop. 

It looks like you caught a mistake. You can take snapshots in the Photo persona as well.

I am John Summerfield, a resident of Mandurah.

I started my trial of Affinity Photo today, and already have misgivings.

I have a test set of photos captured with a 5Ds which must be processed.

Landscapes shot at different focal lengths which must be focus stacked,

Landscapes shot over a broad expanse which must be stitched. They include the stack above.

A sequence shot for two purposes, for a timelapse and to stack for motion blur. I expect to use other software for the timelapse.

I am testing on a Surface Book, without a mouse.

On 8/25/2017 at 10:14 PM, gdb said:

Hi Marco. I'm in the same boat as you. Loving Designer more day by day. The book has been a great help in understanding the fundamentals, and have found the tutorial examples fantastic. My confidence is growing in this program and in my abilities. Using Illustrator everyday at work, and moving to Designer at night is getting much easier. There's plenty to love and learn. Great work Serif-ers!

Yeah good for you too, designer rocks! I find it intuitive to the creative process, illustrator is good, but I often found myself forgetting what I was trying to achieve, whilst figuring out how to do it. I guess not everyone will agree; but for me designer works, and the book is really useful to have, plus it is a beautifully presented good quality publication, which is nice to own as a physical "book" in a digital age. 

On 8/25/2017 at 2:36 PM, Bri-Toon said:

Welcome to the Affinity forum, Marco. And same here. I have Photo as well, but Designer is more of my program. Coming from Illustrator, it is so much more persistent even if it may not have all the same features. I've been using it I think since May of 2016? And I still love it. I'm glad it's working for you. In Illustrator, to flip a selection, right click, Transform, another window opens, then reflect, then click Okay. Oh man, too much.

Thanks, I totally agree. I find designer far more intuitive to my, somewhat random workflow. So far so good.

Hi

My name is Jim & I am a complete novice both as a photographer & as a user of Affinity (or any other photo editing software)

I am in my early sixties & am looking forward to developing my limited computing skills, please bear with me if I ask any stupid questions.

Thanks