You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

hello, saw this photo editing program and looks impressive as compared to the industry standard. 

I have questions before buying it and if there is a FAQ section perhaps somebody can give a link to it:

1-if I buy this app (have a late 2008 imac 24") at the apple store with my old 24 inch mac will it automatically download the Affinity app to it;  when I buy a new model imac (which I am planning to do) can I then down load to that new mac even though I bought Affinity Photo App with my current 24" mac? (I want to buy Affinity Photo now on my old 24" mac and when I buy my new 27" mac later: download the App to the new one).

2-is there an expiration date from when the App is purchased? how long do we have to down load it?

3-how many computers can one download one purchase to?

thanks! d david y

• Staff

Hi ahotflash,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

1. Yes, as soon as you buy Affinity Photo through the Mac App Store, the program will be downloaded and installed on your Mac and yes, you can also install it again later on your new Mac: you just have to login in the Mac App Store app with the same Apple ID used to buy it, go to the Purchased section (on top) and install it again from the list below.

2. No, there's no expiration date. You can download and install it as long as it's available on the Mac App Store.

3. You can install it on any Mac computers you own/control as long as you are the only one using it for commercial purposes.

hi Matt, wow, sounds great! 

regarding #3, I'll be using the Affinity Photo App for personal and perhaps, the odd commercial job. 

thank you! d david y

ps, please warn us if there will be a price increase so I can buy a new computer!

(ok, got it, download app to old 2008 24" mac and "purchase" app again for new 27")

2 hours ago, Tom Wyatt Photography said:

Hi, I am interested in Affinity Photo having read several positive reviews. A question I have is whether Serif offers a money back guarantee (30-day ?) on purchasing Affinity Photo for Mac, in case it really isn't the program for me. Or perhaps there is a trial?

Thanks, Tom

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Tom. :)

There is a 14-day money-back guarantee period for all of the Affinity apps. The retail version of Affinity Photo for Mac is sold exclusively through the Mac App Store, so any refunds are processed by Apple.

Sign up here for the trial version of Affinity Photo: https://affinity.serif.com/signup/trial/photo

Please note that the trial period runs for ten consecutive days from the moment you first launch the program after installation, even if several of those days go by without your using the app at all.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Tom. :)

There is a 14-day money-back guarantee period for all of the Affinity apps. The retail version of Affinity Photo for Mac is sold exclusively through the Mac App Store, so any refunds are processed by Apple.

Sign up here for the trial version of Affinity Photo: https://affinity.serif.com/signup/trial/photo

Please note that the trial period runs for ten consecutive days from the moment you first launch the program after installation, even if several of those days go by without your using the app at all.

Thanks Alfred, good to know. I found the trial and have dived in!

My name is James, I currently use Windows, Photoshop and Lightroom.  In a few months I want to escape from the Adobe Rental programme but do need a reliable replacement.  I tried the affinity Photo ten days trial and found too many bugs.  Seeing many (good) reviews, I thought that maybe I had not given Affinity a fair chance, (ten days is not really long enough to make a real assessment) so I have purchased the licence and am watching the tutorials and putting some of my images through the hoops. Familiarity may make some of the bugs go away. 

Some of these "bugs" are actually omissions - i.e. operations I can do very easily in Photoshop but have not found either the tools or methodology to achieve them in Affinity.  In the attached photo, I need the headlights to appear yellow, as shown.  In PS, I select the headlight, create a HSL layer, check Colourise and change the Hue to yellow.  I have not found any way to do this in Affinity. I am sure there is a way, please do tell.

regards

James.DSC_1511-Edit.thumb.jpg.dc65b784fe7bc2033857ee6bcd054ad8.jpg

• Staff

Hi James,

In Affinity Photo select the headlight with one of the selection tools (or with paths/shapes using the Pen Tool or Ellipse Tool if you want), add a Recolour Adjustment (menu Layer ▸ New Adjustment Layer ▸ Recolour Adjustment) - it will use the active pixel selection as the adjustment's built-in mask so you can deselect the selection after you add the adjustment - then adjust the Recolour values (Hue and Saturation). See image below:

recolour_adjustment.png

6 hours ago, Searcher1851 said:

My name is James, I currently use Windows, Photoshop and Lightroom.  In a few months I want to escape from the Adobe Rental programme but do need a reliable replacement.  I tried the affinity Photo ten days trial and found too many bugs.  Seeing many (good) reviews, I thought that maybe I had not given Affinity a fair chance, (ten days is not really long enough to make a real assessment) so I have purchased the licence and am watching the tutorials and putting some of my images through the hoops. Familiarity may make some of the bugs go away.

As for the bugs, 1.6 will be available as a free update for those who purchased a previous version. Do keep in mind that there is an even later version than your purchase, but it is in beta. Once it is complete, you can update free of charge. If you would like to beta test the upcoming version and test how the nasty bugs have addressed, then you can do so here.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

On 8/7/2017 at 10:11 PM, MEB said:

Hi James,

In Affinity Photo select the headlight with one of the selection tools (or with paths/shapes using the Pen Tool or Ellipse Tool if you want), add a Recolour Adjustment (menu Layer ▸ New Adjustment Layer ▸ Recolour Adjustment) - it will use the active pixel selection as the adjustment's built-in mask so you can deselect the selection after you add the adjustment - then adjust the Recolour values (Hue and Saturation). See image below:

recolour_adjustment.png

Thank you MEB, your prompt response was very helpful.  The change from PS to AP is going to be a long journey beset with hurdles.  I have used PS since the early 90's on a daily basis and I know it would be wrong to expect AP to be the same, but the similarity does tend to lead one along the wrong path sometimes.

Hello,

I am looking for technical information about Affinity Designer. Can I import/ export to Illustrator, Do you have XML import capabilities, What type of automation for replacing imagery, What type of SVG, Javascript, HTML support is there in AD?

Apologies for the brain dump but I like the creative capabilities just need to know how it would fit in my real world production.

Cheers 

AJ

• Staff

Hi AJdigital,

No you can't export to Ai native format, only to PDF (or SVG) and import in Illustrator.

No, there's no XML import capabilities nor any type of automation for replacing images. Affinity Designer is strictly an hybrid vector/raster design and illustration application. It doesn't deal with any type of code at this point (javascript, HTML etc).

Hello everyone.  I'm Dave from Norfolk and just starting to try my hand at using Affinity.  Been using it in a very amateurish manner and I'm aching to get to grips with using Layers in my pics and 

improving my photographs with this programme.  I'm friendly sort of chap and happy to be of any help to anyone butttttttttttt I'm sure that everyone else's knowledge is far greater than mine using this

programme ha ha.  So if anyone has any tips or can show me somewhere I can find hints and tips to use it.  I'd be very grateful.  Take care and warm regards to all. 

• Staff

Hi David Leech,

Check the Official Affinity Designer Video Tutorials to help you get started with the software. If you have questions or find trouble performing any action just ask in the forums. I've also listed a few more additional resources here (check the Designer menu on top).

^^ Quite appreciative, yes?

The layers in Designer is something that does confuse a lot of newcomers, including myself at the time. You can determine each layer type with what's in parenthesis. By default, you have a child layer setup whereas each curve you draw is it's own layer. To create an adult layer, whereas all the children layers are nested under it, click the "Add Layer" button, and drag the curves inside. Anything you draw with that adult layer selected from there on will be nested inside now. Adult layers layers can also be distinguished by a blue underline. Just be careful not to accidentally drag a curve inside another curve, or you will create a clipping effect. And dragging a layer inside another layer will create a sublayer.

I hope you enjoy yourself. Just please don't explore the layers of an onion. Those were some bad times for me.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Hello everyone ,my name is Wael Kassab ,i am from lebanon(middle east).

My photography passion requires a reliable photo editing program to develop my raw images. I bought ipad pro 12.9" 2nd gen with apple pencil and all i needed an app that would help me with my photo editing ,affinity photo for ipad seemed just what I needed and after viewing all the tutorials i was motivated to getting the app which i did. I am more than satisfied with AF for ipad, my editing is consuming much less time than my desktop PS and using the pencil makes it more fun and much accurate.

Well done developers for this great app ,i will be looking forward for more filers and some modifications that i would like to be added to the app after i suggest them in the proper thread.

Hello Affinity community!

My name is Matti Lintula and I'm from Valkeakoski, Finland.
I have been working in content creation (journalism/marketing) for around 10 years now. I recently started my own company called Lintulan luova toimisto (Lintula Creative Agency), where I'm focusing on scaling the latest marketing solutions to local small/medium size businesses. My work includes traditional poster, brochure, magazine ad design/production as well as online marketing and my personal favorite; point of sales marketing material (banners, pylons, shelves etc.)

I started doing graphics on computers in the early 90's. Some of you may remember Art Studio on Commodore 64 and Deluxe Paint on Amiga. Since then I have worked with Adobe software all my  life until this summer. As I was starting my own company, I researched most currently available tools and decided to give Affinity Designer & Photo a chance. So far it has paid off as I'm getting used to working on these marvelous tools. I'm still eagerly awaiting an InDesign counterpart from Affinity team though!

Hi. My name is Rudy and I live in Miami, FL. I am new to Affinity Photo, but have been using pageplus and webplus from Serif for 15 years or so. Great company. I really like Affinity and so far no problems. It would be great though if my beloved ParticleShop plug-in would work.

Hey There!

I'm a 60-something, born-again, computer geek, photographer, musician and one-time sword fight choreographer.  I own a web development business, Picks Pix & Web, that incorporates photography. I live & work (though now semi-retired) at web development and photography with my wife Carolyn and our kitty, Casmir (though the work ethic of the kitty is questionable at best) in Davenport, Iowa, USA. Our children are grown and raising families of their own, which of course means grandkids for us to love and spoil.

I am a new Affinity Photo user, transitioning from the world of Adobe which I am all too familiar with! d;¬{D