You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

What's good, savvy people?

My name is Tom and I'm a design professional. I spent some time in the media world but got out quick however not without picking up the industry standard Adobe environment workflow and all that comes with that. However, I've since left and although I bought AD and AP when I was working I never had a chance or reason to learn them. So they sat in my dock for about 2 years. I'm out on my own now and the performance is super appealing. Truth is though I'm struggling a lot with the transition. There's a number of workflow things that I just can't seem to shake yet and often I find myself frustrated out of creativity and searching Google for "How to ... ... ... in Affinity Designer" to little avail. I guess that's the life of a pioneer and I see things have come a long way since 2015 when I first opened them, which is so promising.

To get me back on a path to success I figured I should try out these forums. Hopefully, they'll provide me with a much needed 'oh I'm not in this alone' feeling - off to read some of the other introductions to see if I'm not wrong!

On 17-7-2017 at 7:12 PM, Jorge De Silva said:

Hi All!

My name is Jorge De Silva, and I'm a Portuguese photographer & filmmaker based in Switzerland.

I am (soon: was) an adobe user for years, but now I decided to simplify my life, and go away from all the adobe suite. Not only dropping Photoshop, but also premiere, lightroom, illustrator, etc...

I discovered Affinity Photo a couple weeks ago, and I was super impressed, so I decided to ask serif for a test program,/ partnership!

It turned out that now is my main photo editing / manipulator software.

There are a lot of things that I still need to test, and a lot of things that I will probably request, but this is looking pretty good already.

Feel free to join me on my social media networks and check my website also :)

All the best,

Jorge De Silva

What I did; replaced photoshop with Affinity Photo (of course), replaced Lightroom with DXO OpticsPro 11 (it is sooooo good) and Phocus for my Hasselblad, replaced Premiere with Davinci Resolve (color correction heaven, and they have a free working version) and replaced After Effects with Motion 5 (learning curve sucks but I get there). It cost me under €400 for al the software :)

Hello,

My name is Zbigniew /Zbigg/ Solarewicz, I am an architect, designer and CAD&3D hobbyist /Sketchup, Blender/, I work in my wife's family business as designer and dtp operator.

Ive been working with Adobe CS5 for ca.5 years now. Just recently I discovered Affinity although Serif company itself has been know to me for many,many years.

I plan to purchase Designer as it handles PSDs at least so well as its original software, how about additional Nvidia/Cuda?/ acceleration in transformations? How about Adobe-compatible plugins?

But only just now it looks Affinity can replace/compete Adobe suite. I would only need some serious Indesign replacement made by Affinity to be fully happy ))

Guys, is there something as Affinity Publisher or its just a gossip? Could be possible to try this?

All the best, Zbigg

cheers,

AF Photo+Designer+Publisher and their betas on Win10 x64/Gtx760+AmdFX+24GB RAM

• Staff

Hi zsolarewicz,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Both Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo handle PSD's quite well (although not all format features are supported) however Affinity Designer doesn't support Photoshop Plugins, only Affinity Photo. I advise you to download a trial for both programs from our website and check if they (or each one) fulfill your requirements.

Affinity Publisher will be available later this year as a public Beta.

6 minutes ago, MEB said:

Both Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo handle PSD's quite well (although not all format features are supported)

In particular, it should be noted that although both apps can import PSD text as text (which is not the default setting in either app) neither of them can export PSD text.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, MEB said:

Hi zsolarewicz,

Both Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo handle PSD's quite well (although not all format features are supported) however Affinity Designer doesn't support Photoshop Plugins, only Affinity Photo. I advise you to download a trial for both programs from our website and check if they (or each one) fulfill your requirements.

Affinity Publisher will be available later this year as a public Beta.

Thats great, I am waiting unpatiently ;)

A few questions yet:

- Photo and Designer are 32 or 64bit version?

- Publisher would be 32 or 64bit /stability and error handling !!/  ?

-  What would be extensions/limitations comparing to Indesign CS5+ ?

- Any extra acceleration on Nvidia cards planned/applied ?

Regards,

PS. Just tried some Nvidia plugins-they cause crash, some stability investigation for plugins would be nice...

cheers,

• Staff

Hi zsolarewicz,
1. All Affinity apps are 64 bits.
2. It's still to soon to discuss Publisher's features, but don't expect the first version (1.0) to be up to InDesign's capabilities. It will take a few years to get there.
3. No, as far as i know there's no CUDA support/acceleration planned.

If you are referring to the nVIDIA DDS plugin, no it's not supported. Currently Affinity Photo only support regular image filters (no automation).

6 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi zsolarewicz,
1. All Affinity apps are 64 bits.
2. It's still to soon to discuss Publisher's features, but don't expect the first version (1.0) to be up to InDesign's capabilities. It will take a few years to get there.
3. No, as far as i know there's no CUDA support/acceleration planned.

If you are referring to the nVIDIA DDS plugin, no it's not supported. Currently Affinity Photo only support regular image filters (no automation).

Thanks for the reply.

Ad.1 Great.

Ad2. I dont mean Book or Library feature, how about similar capabilities on document level? Plus preflight? Would you reveal planned features so people could consider reseating from Adobe?

Ad.3 Good to have 8bf compatibility at least

How about batch/macro/actions etc. in all of the packages? Essential in professional work.

6 minutes ago, MEB said:

cheers,

• Staff

Hi zsolarewicz,
It's not up to me to disclose features planned for future products, sorry. As soon as the public Beta becomes available (hopefully before the end of the year) we will provide additional information and will be able to reply to user's questions. Affinity Photo already supports batch jobs and macros. Check this page for a list of video tutorials (covering all those features) or the Help file for additional details.

Hi Everyone,

my name is Tom Schülke,

I am from Hamburg in the north of Germany and i ´ve been long years the lead 3d Artist of a big german architectural Company that is develloping big Projects all over the the World mainly in China. I Was responsible for the 3D Renderings using 3ds max , Vray, Adobe Photoshop, premiere and aftereffects.

Now my next responsibilty is to introduce affinity Photo as a great alternative to our company to   switch from our adobe licences for their 500 employees to a better alternative.

While i feel that Affinity is allready a great Product i see some parts that could be improved in respect to workflowenhancements in our company and i think others could benefit from our ideas too..    So while i am still in the learning process (after watching all 200 tutorial videos ...) my next step is to develop workflows for my company to avoid those minor missing funktionalitys, Affinity Photo still has.

never the less.  I hope the voice of us useres will have an effect on your developement roadmap, so that Affinity Photo will convince the last Photoshop Neards in my company to switch over to your Software..

greetings from Hamburg

gmp architekten

Tom

I'm new here, downloaded the Affinity app for my IPad and my MAC computer.   Started with photography 5 years ago when I retired. Still a work in progress!! I needed a program to replace Aperture and find Lightroom and photoshop too challenging.  Love Affinity, and the tutorials are wonderful, as are the You-Tube videos.  Photo was taken Cape Cod, Provincetown. 

IMG_1949.JPG

Hi all, newbie here! new to Affinity and photo editing in general. The tutorials are great! I am having trouble with the inpainting tool; following instructions but its not working. All help welcome. I have watched the Vimeo getting started video and on his screen he has a numbered row of tools, such as straighten - this is at the top, but below the ruler line. I can't find any instructions on how to display this so again all help welcome. 

Loopy :)

• Staff

Hi Loopy,

To work with the inpainting tool you must have a pixel layer selected in the layers panel (make sure you don't have a mask or adjustment or any other layer type selected there). Look at the label between parenthesis after the layer's name in the Layers panel to identify the type of layer you are working with. If case you have dropped (from Finder on a Mac or a Windows Explorer window if you are using Windows) or placed an image to the canvas it may be labeled as an Image layer type - if that's the case right-click the image layer in the Layer panel and select Rasterise. You can then use the Inpainting Brush Tool with that layer.

Image layers are considered object layers - you can transform them (scale, rotate, apply adjustments etc) but they can't be changed at a pixel level. They retain the original image data so you can transform them without losing quality. If you need to change them at a pixel level (for use with the Inpainting or other pixel based tools) they must be converted to pixel layers as explained above. Pixel layers are where you can perform any type of pixel based/level editing.

Regarding the "tools" on the top of the screen, these are actually documents (document tabs) that are currently opened in the program that happen to be named with the tool or functionality that's being explained in the video - so they are NOT tools at all. The names of these tools appear there because the documents were saved with those names to facilitate locating the correct document while the video was being recorded.

• Staff

Hi Loopy,

You're welcome:) 

You're not the only one confused by the document tabs in that video, other users already have pointed it out too and for someone new to the program i agree it is a little confusing. Despite that, the video tutorials are a great way to start and cover basically everything the program has to offer. If you find any trouble following them just post/ask about it. There's plenty of users and staff willing to help.

Hi:  Chris here.  Working photographer and learning Affinity on the 10.5 iPad Pro.  When the new Files app is functional on IOS 11, will I be able to import raw files from my SD card onto a folder in the files app, and then import the raws from that folder into Affinity on the iPad.  IF yes, after processing the raws in Affinity, will I be able to export the finished jpgs to another designated folder on the iPad.  In summary, I want the structure to function like my Mac finder system!

I am a 59 year old guy from Germany and new to this forum but not new to Affinity Photo. I also use AD … sometimes – I’m more into photo. I started working with AP in July 2015 after nearly 23 years working with A***e-Software. It was a good choice to change, wasn’t it.

Puck

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

Greetings All. I'm Alf - new user of Affinity Photo. Until now I have used Nikon software, an old version of Photoshop and have tried one or two alternatives without great success. I have been greatly encouraged by the tutorial videos for Affinity Photo had have had some initial success with the trial version. I still sometimes struggle to avoid pitfalls in getting the most out of my photos (birds and landscapes mostly) and am expecting I will need a protracted learning period. I find re-watching the videos helpful and quite often find things I have previously missed. I am always on the lookout for better ways to achieve the effects I am attempting but also to discover enhancements I didn't previously realise were possible.

From what I have read so far Affinity will not be the answer to re-configuring my entire workflow since it does not have a cataloguing system. At present I just use folders in Windows for initial sorting and culling of duff or duplicate photos. I hope I can improve on this some time.

Alf

Howdy all,    

New user of Affinity Photo on Mac and on iPad.   I just cancelled my years long CC subscription and KelbyOne membership.    I have the Macphun products setup as plugins.   I use Photo Mechanic to do imports, renaming, and folder management on the Mac.   Wish me luck.  :D

Hi, I'm Sophie Doell.  After watching a couple of intro videos for Afinity Photo and seeing how it can replace both Lightroom and Photoshop, giving me a smoother and more intuitive workflow, I'm making the switch from Lightroom and Photoshop, and ditching the subscription. Just saying "Hi" here, and will ask my technical questions at the appropriate threads on the forum. :-)  

8 hours ago, SophieDoellPhotoArt said:

Hi, I'm Sophie Doell.  After watching a couple of intro videos for Afinity Photo and seeing how it can replace both Lightroom and Photoshop, giving me a smoother and more intuitive workflow, I'm making the switch from Lightroom and Photoshop, and ditching the subscription. Just saying "Hi" here, and will ask my technical questions at the appropriate threads on the forum. :-)  

Welcome and I hope you enjoy yourself.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

17 hours ago, SophieDoellPhotoArt said:

seeing how it can replace both Lightroom and Photoshop  

Please be aware that Affinity Photo does not include a DAM component, so if you need a digital asset manager you may not want to let go of your Lr subscription just yet. We've been led to expect an Affinity DAM at some point, but there's no ETA for it.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi, photography is one of my hobby included travels. I began photo at 16. Recently I have bought à FZ 1000 and I was looking for a software to dévelop RAW. I try many software but I was interesting to get a great application that works on iPad. I'd like to travel with light powerful devices.

then I try affinity and fall in love with this application.

i am here to exchange about tips and tricks on affinity.

it will be a pleasure to exchange with you.

Have a great day plenty of shots.

Pascal.

Hi I'm Martin Bolam,

Live in the N.E. of England, I'm a wild life photographer, passion is birds & insects. I have a NIKON D300 with a 70/300 lens which I use most of the time, also use a FUJI finepix HS50EXR

bridge camera. I was a photoshop CS6 fan but refused to pay for cloud monthly, I looked around and being a SERIF fan found AFFINITY photo editing.  The best thing I ever did its superb, meets all the

needs, plus its being developed all the time.  Easy to use, from basic to professional level meets the criterion every time, find the tutorials first class.  But could do with a hard copy? thanks to all the Affinity

staff for your hard work and expertise, one or two shots to show you the results using AFFINITY.

1 Hummingbird hawkmoth 2  storm descending on Lake Garda 3 Terrapin  4 Black swan

DSCF7258.jpg

IMG_1764.jpg

DSCF7389.jpg

_AAP7334.JPG