You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

Thus far, I would agree, although the only difficulties I am experiencing thus far would be getting used to the Affinity interface. Years of Corel usage has left me vulnerable in this arena....

Canuck

I used Corel intensely for a number of years, ending about 2003, when Draw was no longer supported on a Mac. I was quite unhappy, and shifted to AI. When I got AD a few months ago, the habits were still so strong that I kept trying to use CD/AI shortcuts, etc. Fortunately, AD is well laid out enough, and consistent that I've mostly stopped using the wrong keys.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

HI  I have been using photoshop for several years, now that I am retired, I really don't want to be paying Adobe, the rental of the software. I came across Affinity photo and have to say that the learning curve is quite shallow, I am amazed it is feature rich, as a version 1 release in Windows its off to a good start, that said it does have a few performance issues which I hope the software people will address. I have an 5i with 8GB of ram and running windows 10, I tried the stacking software to stack 100 images full size (photoshop had no problem). Affinity Photo kept failing with low memory error. I adjusted the pagefile manually and maxed it this enabled Affinity to load the files ( the system loaded 5.8 Gb into memory according to task manager Processes tab CPU usage was around 11-15%) but the performance was terrible apart from the 9 hours (left it over night) it took to prosses the files to a point were something potentially could be done Be it ever so slow). But as I said earlier this is version 1 and I have high hopes for this product.

Hello all.

I've been using Adobe products since the mid 90's and Pagemaker since the Aldus days. Yesterday I cancelled my Creative Cloud subscription and bought Affinity Photo and Designer. Looking forward to Publisher!

I'm glad to see the forum is active and I look forward to learning / contributing as I can.

I'm glad to see the forum is active

You're not kidding. Haha. And welcome aboard.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

*sigh* You just took me down memory lane. Aldus Pagemaker, Quark Xpress, CorelDRAW. Good old days. 

Canuck

Yep, the good old days of bitmap fonts and $6,000 monochrome laser printers!  :)

I very much remember those days ! 

But started with things like Deluxe Paint and Autodesk Animator...

Welcome to the community.  :)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• Staff

Hi 1OldGuy,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Here's a few resources to help you get started:

- The In-house Video Tutorials for Affinity Photo
- The Help file (menu Help ▸ Affinity Photo Help) covers extensively all features/tools of the program. Don’t overlook it.
- I’ve also compiled a list of other learning resources here, including third party Books, Training Courses and Tutorials

If you have any questions, just ask in the forums. There's always users and staff willing to help.

Translation:  With me and myself, the three of us. And with some arcane applications for drawing with the mouse, MS DOS based... :D

Edit: Did I said the mouse ?  Lol, I don't remember right now If I was using keyboard only... But that was with a pc 286. I remember as a kid, doing monkey-to-man. evolution walk for a a course final work...The ppl in the class got amazed, hehe.  Much before, my VERY first "computer" graphics (spectrum 48k) were made with ball point pen, in grid-lined notebook sheets, where I used to set a sort of coordinates numbers in the sides, and pass the data with READ and DATA  BASIC functions (to make games), by replacing the letter characters and using that in code...

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Hi- I'm Dave (Dave2017). I have worked with computers for many years - perhaps too many, and written software, though not so much in recent years. Actually most of the time I taught other people maths and computing in various countries, including the UK, but also the USA and Sweden.

I gave up official work a few years ago, but am still active in other areas, including making recordings and films of concerts - now settling on Final Cut Pro X - but have use Adobe Premiere, and other tools, such as Quicktime.

I generally don't like Windows much, and have been using Apple kit since 1985, and in recent years have become fully committed to Macs once more - having scrapped my two most used PCs last year. I did have the Serif software - PagePlus and also the Photo Plus software - sorry - probably no way they're going to get used again as I'm probably not going to set up another Windows based PC.

I have quite a lot of software on my machines, including basic photo editing (Apple Preview), GIMP, Photoshop Elements, but recently I bought Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer which seem easy to use and mostly very good.

Mostly I do photo editing, but sometimes I have to annotate photos or even make up graphics. I still miss Claris/AppleWorks for some tasks - and indeed I still keep one machine running in Snow Leopard (OS 10.6.8) for that reason. For some very quick figures that was much the best I ever came across. It's all very well having tools which will do everything, but if they're hard to learn or tricksy to use that's no good for most of us. What I really liked about the Claris/Appleworks package was the ability to link together shapes and text boxes etc. with connectors. It's possible to do similar things in Powerpoint, but it's really just not so nice.

OK - that's me done for an intro. Now onto the forum and questions.

Hi- I'm Dave (Dave2017).

What I really liked about the Claris/Appleworks package was the ability to link together shapes and text boxes etc. with connectors.

Ahh, a name I'd almost forgot. A delight to use.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, Clarence. :)

I am in awe over what I will be able to do with this program, I just need something to show a beginner what steps to take to get it done.

There are currently two programs in the Affinity suite: Designer and Photo. Which one do you have?

There are many video tutorials and some written material for both apps. Take a look at the Tutorials section of the 'Learn and Share' forum.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi, I am Clarence Dickerson.  I am new at this and I find that most of the tutorials I have watched show me what can be done, but I have a hard time seeing what to do.  I am in awe over what I will be able to do with this program, I just need something to show a beginner what steps to take to get it done.

I too was just about to ask which program you are referring to. I plan on making a beginner video tutorial on Designer after 1.6 is released since I think some of the new features are pretty crucial. If you're referring to Photo, I do have some tutorials that might be helpful. (Not to advertise, but just to help.)

Video 1

Video 2

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I too was just about to ask which program you are referring to. I plan on making a beginner video tutorial on Designer after 1.6 is released since I think some of the new features are pretty crucial. If you're referring to Photo, I do have some tutorials that might be helpful. (Not to advertise, but just to help.)

Video 1

Video 2

Why do you want us to skip the first eight seconds of the first video? :unsure:

Alfred spacer.png

Why do you want us to skip the first eight seconds of the first video? :unsure:

That sounds like some YouTube issue. I only the copied the web address; not any point of time in that video.

I do not know which program I have, but I will know soon.  I did not realize there were more than one.  I just saw Affinity Photo in the App store and thought I would give it a try.  I did find some tutorials that were much more oriented to the beginner after I posted this.  I will research which program I have and look at the tutorials again.  Thank you for your answers.  I am pleased that there is so much help available for me to access.  Thanks again Alfred and Bleduc.  

I do not know which program I have, but I will know soon.  I did not realize there were more than one.  I just saw Affinity Photo in the App store and thought I would give it a try.  

If what you found in the Mac App Store was Affinity Photo, then you already know the answer to the question: you have Affinity Photo (APh) rather than Affinity Designer (AD). APh is an image editor, aimed at users who want to work with photos and other bitmap/raster images; AD also has some bitmap editing capabilities, but it's primarily a vector drawing app.

Alfred spacer.png

You're welcome. If you have a blue triangle in the corner, then you have Designer. If it's a purple triangle, then it's Photo. Since you said you'll give Affinity Photo a try, then I would think that is what you would have.  :P

Hello all!

I'm another long time Adobe Photoshop (cough cough since version 1!)  and Illustrator user coming on board here. I've also been around since the early Pagemaker and Freehand days and it's nice to see some new great applications now. I primarily work on my own now and was happy to find some other options that didn't require large monthly payments. I've been pretty impressed with Photo and Designer and while I can see some features that will really help them get more robust they're off to an amazing beginning.

I've been slowly getting comfortable switching my creative workflow to only use the Affinity products. My first big project was a science / astronomy education site for young people that I created. All the illustrations and graphics were created with Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer with a few other supporting applications as well. The Universe from A to Z

It's nice to see a great community and forum here!

Jeff

Hey Jeffery,

That's some cool stuff. I am into space as well. I was hoping N would stand for Nebula.  :P I was just curious to hear what might be explained about it since I seem to be obsessed with it. I have a science fiction I created in which unknown particles in a nebular act like molecules in trees to help sustain life, but they can even recreate it.

Hey Jeffery,

That's some cool stuff. I am into space as well. I was hoping N would stand for Nebula.  :P I was just curious to hear what might be explained about it since I seem to be obsessed with it. I have a science fiction I created in which unknown particles in a nebular act like molecules in trees to help sustain life, but they can even recreate it.

Thanks!

Yeah, I had so many topics I wanted to cover, and Nebula was definitely on there, but I really wanted to include all the planets (which is why M gets two). If I do a version 2 or add other items nebula would definitely be there! I would get most of my information from NASA and Wikipedia sources. There are so many amazing nebula images out there - as well as info! I'm not exactly sure what I'd put in the info for nebula. I would spend a lot of time going through each subject and then try to take it down to a very easy to understand paragraph but still keep it true to the science.