You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

Hi Affinity,

I'm new to this forum and from the UK.

Been using PagePlus X9 and really love it​ but I'm so looking forward to Affinity Publisher.

​I just know its going to be worth waiting for :)

I have a background in pre-press, mostly general print and magazines. 

Cheers for now, Steve.

Greetings,

My name is John Baker. I am a programmer working in Meridian Idaho. I've been taking pictures for over fifty years and I've used most of the popular image editors at one time or another.

My online photographs can be browsed here:

https://conceptcontrol.smugmug.com/

I also blog:

https://analyzethedatanotthedrivel.org/

So far I have been favorably impressed with Affinity Photo. It has joined my tool set.

Cheers

John Baker

Hello you all beautiful people ;)

I was having a blast using both betas on Windows and just yesterday I have finally got myself both Photo and Designer. I have spent many years working professionally using Photoshop and Illustrator. Progressively Adobe killed my passion for their software, start to bloat it with nonsense (like 3d print and simplistic video editing inside of PS.... what?) while ignoring really useful options. I had my eye on Affinity software from quite long time but it was only on Mac. Now I am shifting all my workflow to it, so guys in Affinity, please, keep on listening users please. You are doing great job so far - this is barely 1.5 at the moment and already I am able to replace software that was out there for 20 years.. Sure some little things here and there are missing but I am willing to find workarounds while you are making Photo and Designer even more awesome. You gave me back something Adobe slowly killed - excitement. I am really excited for each new version, I love finding my way inside whats already there! Great stuff guys and gals!

Hi all!

My name is Dawid and I am an Adobe Certfied Expert in Illustrator (should share it here ?;))

I've been using mainly Illustrator for several years now and I have also been creating online courses on that piece of software.

Recently I've decided to give the Designer a try and I am also planning to share what I've learnt on my Youtube channel.

Thanks for reading this!

Dawid

Hi all,

My name is Mark Stoutjesdijk. I am designing analytics software for healthcare. For demonstration purposes as well as for development, I need screen mockups and I find that Affinity Designer works very well for that. 

Even though Designer is very intuitive to use, I hope to learn a lot at the forums.

Cheers

Mark

-- 
Mark Stoutjesdijk

CLKZ-logo-OB-32.png.98fafb7f7564b4dc900254fd73f18402.png CARELINKZ Healthcare Analytics 

Hi 

I am an Expat from Featherstone,West Yorkshire, now living in Cocoa, Fl. A lapsed keen photographer. Had the monthly subscription to Photoshop and Lightroom. Tried the beta PC version of Affinity Photo. Found I liked it so here I am. 

I must admit never really got to grips with the true power of Photoshop. 

So I am starting a new learning curve.

Cheers

Ian

Greetings all!

I'm Bill, a graphic designer and Professor of Graphic Design from Ontario Canada.

I am a long time Adobe Creative Suite user and make my living using the Adobe programs. The Affinity apps have really sparked my interest. While they may not be as feature rich (yet), I'd say that is not necessarily a bad thing. By comparison, the Adobe programs feel a bit dated from a UI perspective and somewhat bloated while the Affinity apps definitely do not.

From what I can tell so far, for seasoned Adobe pros, the learning curve is not all that bad, especially for Affinity Photo. I'm a busy guy but look forward to putting the apps through their paces as my schedule allows.

I don't see them fully replacing my Adobe Suite anytime soon, but I easily see them as a compliment to my existing tool kit.

Nice work Affinity Team!

B

Hi, just bought Affinity Photo for Mac, which I hope to use in conjunction with Aperture (on Yosemite) while I still can. I'm not a fan of Adobe software, although I have tried to use the copy of Elements 9 that came with my Epson scanner. I've never really managed to get good results, or even work out what it's really for. It was maybe a bit mad to buy Affinity, since I do most post processing within the non-destructive environment of Aperture, and also because the photo group I go to mostly just uses Photoshop for all photo editing. But I thought it worth taking advantage of the discount, which I should have done a few weeks ago when it was even cheaper.

So far I've used the live light tool on one shot of a woodland path through silver birches which are side lit, leaving the path rather too dark, and it seems to have gone reasonably well for a first attempt (light rather too cool for the rest of the scene, perhaps). I have not yet set it up to round trip from Aperture, I guess that's next.

In due course I will have to decide where to go after Aperture, being down on Adobe (and subscriptions) I don't want to go the Lightroom route, so Capture One Pro has my interest for DAM and most PP, though I have yet to try it. Perhaps Affinity will be offering a DAM and more non-desrtuctive editing tools combined???

Hello. I am Vicki and I'm considering buying Affinity Designer for Windows.

I am not a professional designer and totally self taught on PhotoImpact back when it was from Ulead. I feel pretty at ease with their older version but I know I need to upgrade to something else. I would really like to get some feedback on how user friendly this program is for a novice?

Thank You so much for your time, Vicki :)

Hi, I'm Dan, and I'm a new Affinity user. My new job has tasked me with producing professional level marketing materials so I'm trying to learn everything I can about the Affinity suite to help me in that endeavor. I'm sure I'll have questions so I appreciate any help that is given. Glad to be here!

Hello. I am Vicki and I'm considering buying Affinity Designer for Windows.

I am not a professional designer and totally self taught on PhotoImpact back when it was from Ulead. I feel pretty at ease with their older version but I know I need to upgrade to something else. I would really like to get some feedback on how user friendly this program is for a novice?

Thank You so much for your time, Vicki :)

From what I can see, PhotoImpact is aimed more at photo enhancement than vector work. Designer might not be quite what you want as a replacement, but Photo might.

I have Designer. Designer has some features that are amazingly easy to use. Others are not immediately obvious. And if coming from another program as I did  (I used Corel Draw a lot, Illustrator less), it took a little while to orient myself to how Designer did the same things. 

Also, it took some time getting used to the user interface. Again, that was mostly a matter of learning a new habit. Overall, the program functions are well grouped and easily accessible. There's just a lot of them.

There is a workbook available. It is extensive, and touches on about everything AFAIK.

I haven't got Photo yet. I'm still trying to get a handle on everything Designer does. Designer has the same "layer adjustments" as Photo, allowing all sorts of color effects and tweaks. But Photo has many filters like Photoshop. And a whole bunch of other stuff. Not user unfriendly, just lots and lots of possibilities.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Hello, my name is Iain Harvie and have used Serif Programs and Applications for many years and have been extremely pleased at the choice, accuracy and value of all products.  I hope this introduction is in the right section and I'm grateful for the opportunity to discuss my problem.  When I saw Affinity Photo I bought and installed it straight away.  Another wonderful App and of course I bought and downloaded Designer soon afterwards.  However, when running the Designer installer it fails to install and there are no notifications after the initial Windows acknowledgement.  I have tried  downloading with three different browsers.  I click acknowledgement to let the program make changes in Windows 10 [recently having installed the anniversary update] and Task Manager confirms that Affinity is running in the Background Processes but not that the Installer App is running and the process progression is stalled. After help from Affinity it was suggested that I leave the installation program running which I have done for many hours with no further response.   I have tried stopping my Anti Virus during download and installation attempts and if it finds any problem with any new or updated programs it is set to ask whether it should be allowed to connect to the internet but no such warning is instigated with Designer.  Has this problem been identified and solved by anyone else?  I had no problems installing Photo on precisely the same system which meets all requirements. I would be extremely grateful for any help anyone may be able to give me and thanks very much in anticipation, Regards,  Iain

My name is Wolf, living in Germany. I am 62 years old, enthusiastic photoamateur, used DxO and AffinityPhoto on MacBookPro for my photos.
Will retire this year and hope that I have then much more time for the hobby. In addition, I just learn about Affinity Designer.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, iPad 8, MACOS Sonoma & iPadOS, Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

Hi,

my name is Johanna. I'm new to AD and graphic design in general, although I am working with Silhouette Studio Software for about 2 years now (I have a Silhouette vinyl cutter).

I bought AD for Windows a few days after launch, and although I struggle sometimes with all that "graphic stuff" (I need to learn a lot), I already love AD.  :wub:

PS:  I hope my English is understandable, my last lesson is a few (or more) years ago. I'll do my very best to write as understandable as I am able to.  :) 

I found introduce topic so I am! I move text published in other topic.

I would use Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer on this fields:

- Pentax raw edition

- web baners

- creation of webpage elements and graphics

- make poster/brochoures for print.

I hope I can do! :)

I'm from Poland. I've some experience with Adobe CS6 PSP and AI, but they have wrong subscription model for me, so I choose Affinity. Graphics is a part of my job, but not main subject. I like photo, books, and making computer working for me. Sometimes I simply coding stuff to automate my work and I want find macros in Affinity software, but I more humanist than mathematican so simplicity is a primary for me. For few years I'm taking photos and it's my hobby. I like make creative stuffs with it like colors conversion, retuche etc. Before I used Raw Therapee and Lightroom for this.

I prefer automate my job, because I have sometimes anoying repeating subject. It's a one things which I'll be looking for in your soft.

Now I'm shaking, because as beginner I've not a lof of idea how do a lot of stuff which I can do in AI/PSD and more time I'm stucking not working. When I found info about AD and AP it was too late to test it so I make blind purchuase based on others opinion. I heard a lot of about friend-style of this forum so Welcome everyone!

Sean here. from UK but living in Berlin, Germany for quite some time. I'm quite familiar with DrawPlus and PagePlus as I've been using them for a few years now and recently started with Designer. Very pleased with it so far - I thought DP had it all, but I was wrong! At the moment Im just recreating old things that I made with DP, just to get used to the layout and tools and procedure, but looking forward to creating some original work very soon. I recognise a few names from the old Serif forums here already so it looks like I'm not the only one to make the change :) 

Hello everyone. I downloaded a trial version of Infinity Photo last night. I'm an artist and sometime illustrator and have been using Photoshop on and off  since way back in the 20th Century (where did the time go eh?) Anyway, I'm yet another one of the Adobe Cloud refuseniks holding on to my CS6 with a line drawn in the sand; this far and no further.I found myself fishing around for alternatives the other evening and saw a reference to Affinity.

Well after a morning of playing around with APhoto and getting used to the similarities and the differences between AP and Ps I've got to say I'm blown away by AP. I certainly wouldn't call myself a Photoshop heavy hitter so I can't compare the two at that level but I've certainly put together a shed load of multilayered montages over the years and so far I don't see any reason not to slowly migrate from Photoshop to Affinity Photo and tag along with the upgrades as they come along. Sure, if I was on a commission right now, I'd use Photoshop for the sake of the speed of familiarity but I can see myself jumping the Adobe ship altogether eventually, especially since there's Designer too and better still Affinity Publisher in the offing ... and no monthly subs :D

Cheers Affinity, I'm a very happy bunny!

Hi All my names Will Im a senile old guy who has to read instructions to destruction then still forget them,had a camera since the box browny days had every make going now a canon man,came to sirif  because I got sick of trying to use photoshop and failing badly, I have two Macs three key boards and a tablet so I'm prepared for anything lol

I hope to succeed with infinity where I failed with adobe 

Hi, my name's Stuart, a mac user and long time user of DrawPlus. Used to run it on a Virtual machine on my mac but decided to change to Affinity for stability. Let me start out by saying there's a reason I stick with Serif - since about 1990 when I was first able to add text to a curved line which Claris couldn't do at the time I've stuck with Serif/you. But ... I have a big problem with affinity which a) is absolutely critical to accurate work (I read 'the most accurate design software' reviews) b) is a really fundamental function, not even a feature, and c) has not been responded to since I posted it here, with screenshots, four days ago. I'm sure affinity is better than Drawplus for many reasons, but, after three days of trying it out and encountering this problem (graphics not exporting at the size they were drawn is really bad news for web design) I've returned to DrawPlus - v4.0, for the record - because, as a graphic designer, I actually need to get jobs done. Heartfelt plea - get affinity right, because binning DrawPlus is a bold, bold move.