You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

Hi there, I'm Michael from the French West Indies.

Finding Affinity has been a Ahaa moment for me, and it's on track to revolutionize my business. Actually tried Serif products back in the days.

While my workbook is on the way to me, is there anyone who has done a walk-through of say a business card design, using AD 1.5, using the new tab Document Setup "Bleeds" and "Margins". Then to placing RGB images, converting to CMYK and then discussing the output options for print shops. Feel free to overwhelm me with responses.

Michael

I don't, but have browsed those features, the color management stuff, while creating a new file, setting the default profiles/environment, and using the so useful "convert to profile" (ie, to convert any RGB file to a CMYK one , with the profile of your choice and convenience), having seen the good status of the rules, guides, etc, I'd say both AP and AD are quite prepared for that. Have I gone through the whole workflow? No, certainly not. But my advice, with all what it means this amazing low price, finally a purchase system in a real alternative, it *quite* worth the risk of the 40 or 50 bucks bargain each jewel costs right now.... :)

Placing RGB images, yep, certainly possible. Output options in CMYK (was my main interest too) for print companies: Well, you can use any profile in your system! So, any profile. You can import profiles, too, directly in the UI. :) 

Bleeds and margins, I suppose yes, you can! As you can make guides and all the stuff (and you can generate them at an exact point in pixels or mm, etc). You have the industry standard: PDF/x exports of all the desired flavors, RBG or CMYK, including the profile or not, allow a setting for overprint black, and etc.

Yes, I do believe it is pretty capable of all that. I haven't got a business like that, though. ;)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Hi. I'm Albronne. Affinity novice. Been using Serif stuff for Windows since mid 90s (PageP, DP PhotoP) from W3.1 to W10. Nearest I got to Mac is untangling Mac files sent by e-mail or maybe using iPad. Nice to think Affinity files may be transferable cross platform. Have been trying the Win Betas, waiting to see a launch.

• Staff

Hi albronne,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity Designer for Windows is already available for purchase. The Public Beta phase has ended. Only users who purchase the app have access to the Betas from now on. Affinity Photo for Windows remains available as a Public Beta.

Thanks for the all-round reply. It's certainly worth springing for all the products.

Still open to a walk-through on the business card though :)

Could you elaborate or direct me to a video on this "convert to profile".

Thanks

I don't, but have browsed those features, the color management stuff, while creating a new file, setting the default profiles/environment, and using the so useful "convert to profile" (ie, to convert any RGB file to a CMYK one , with the profile of your choice and convenience), having seen the good status of the rules, guides, etc, Placing RGB images, yep, certainly possible. Output options in CMYK (was my main interest too) for print companies: Well, you can use any profile in your system! So, any profile. You can import profiles, too, directly in the UI. :)

Bleeds and margins, I suppose yes, you can! As you can make guides and all the stuff (and you can generate them at an exact point in pixels or mm, etc). You have the industry standard: PDF/x exports of all the desired flavors, RBG or CMYK, including the profile or not, allow a setting for overprint black, and etc.

I have set up manual bleed and guides, but wonder how the new tabs in Document setup are used.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

------
AD 1.7.1, AP 1.7.1;Hhave ADW, Serif PagePlus X8 and X9 on an old PC
iMac Retina 5K, 27 inch, Late 2015, 3.2Ghz i5, 8GB 1867Mhz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M380 2GB; 1TB HDD, macOS Mojave 10.14.5

Wacom Intuos 5 Pro (wireless - without lagging).

Visit my site: TechniSmart (when I ever find time to work on it)

Seems is slightly different in AP than in AD. In AD, it seems you need to go (I had done it quite some times in AP) to top menu File, then "Document Setup", click on the tab "color". Set in the "Color Format" field, CMYK 8-bit, for example (if that is what you need), and below, in Color Profile, just the profile your print company is requiring from you.  Click on Convert so that this one is the one to apply (in other software apps, I always prefer Convert than assign) , and click Ok (that makes it). If you export the file in a format supporting CMYK information (like a raster export in PSD, or vectorial:  EPS, PDF... (not SVG)) , you will notice in another software (again, if supports CMYK) that it is indeed a cmyk file, with exactly that profile embedded. :)

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Hello everyone,

I am an UI designer. I focus mostly on designing UI for mobile and web apps. I came across "Affinity" while reading a blog post comment. The post was about Adobe XD vs Sketch.

I use photoshop for bulk of my work and illustrator for the vectors. I was looking for alternative to Adobe products due to their price and speed. I use a windows PC so i couldn't use Sketch. And while looking for other alternative i stumble across Affinity designer and that too during the time when they were releasing a version for Windows with focus on UI. So i am actually very excited and looking forward to the product.

At the moment i am waiting for a trial version for the Affinity Designer  (Windows) as i wanted to give it a test before purchasing the product. I am already testing Affinity Photo. The interface looks cool and it seems fast. I liked it so far. Even though i am not good with photo editing and i only use Photoshop Photo editing options mostly to blur the image for design purpose.

Things i am looking forward to in affinity designer :

1. I like Material Design and IOS (Blur + Transparency) design. I wanted to see whether i will be able to create similar effects in Affinity Designer with ease. So for now waiting for the trial.

2. Speed - The speed of Affinity Photo seems good. And heard similar praise for Affinity Designer. I also liked many of their new features.

3. Exporting Option seems great. The fact that it can export to PSD is also great factor for designers.

There are other good points about affinity designer.

But it has a tough competition when it comes to UI Design with new Adobe Xd (Reputation + Stability + Prototyping) and Sketch (Don't know much but heard praises about it's ease and plugins). 

So far they seem promising.

Regards

Zunaid

Hi! I'm a video games 2D artist with nearly 30 years in the creative industry under my belt. Been a cartoonist and illustrator since leaving school, with a bit of graphic design thrown in. I've been using Illustrator professionally since version 4 so I'm excited to learn Designer and get some alternative techniques and workflows.

Hello, everyone!  I am a newbie to graphic design and photo editing and still in the early learning phase.  I am going to get my toes wet using Affinity Photo and Designer.  They both look like two very polished and powerful products. Kudos to the Affinity team for a job well done.  Thank you for offering excellent products without a required subscription!  I hope to see you around and learn more from the folks here.

Hi, Recently I installed the windows beta version.. Liked it so much I bought it.. I have some experience with Xara designer pro but found it lacked some.. So far I like what I see with AD.. Hopefully I can learn from all those with experience here.. Thanks  Ed5

Hej!

My name is Henry Ståhle. I am from Varberg on the west coast of Sweden. I am retired from school since 2 years after 40 years as a teacher, a work I loved very much. I still miss all the kids I met every day in the studio.

Before teaching I was studying Commercial Arts but never ended up in that business, my interest in pedagogy was stronger, so I had a second education as teacher.

After my retirement I am getting back to my interest in Art, illuswtrative and communicative art, that is.

I am trying to get some illustration work, I do some freelance work for education books and some other stuff...I can do with some extra income...being a pensionist....

Most of my time I spend writing and illustrating Childrens Storybook apps. It is a complex job doing concepts, planning, stills and animations and such. I am Learning lots of new stuff and some new software (at my age!). Anime Studio, Spline, Clip Studio and now Affinity... in two years they are all new to me. Lots of fun and sweat, but I am slowly getting it...

I have used all Serif software for many years in my job and I am very pleased to go on using the Affinity suite. I am still testing and learning. Soon I will probably switch to Affinity Photo (and maybe Designer) for all my illustration job.

My programmer uses LUA and Corona and I have decided to cut down my software to just Affinity and Spine since they work well together with one another, but also in the programming / appmaking environment we use, Corona.

Thats all folks! See you around in this forum.

Hi everyone!

My name is Enrique. I am a software developer engineer specialized in GPU parallel computing and an enthusiast of 3D design and image/video postproduction.

I discovered Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer (Windows versions) a few months ago and I was so amazed with the software that I bought Designer as soon as the final version became available and will do the same with Photo.

Thanks a lot for such a great, wonderful and affordable software.

Regards from Eindhoven (The Netherlands),

Enrique

Hello all, I'm Andy Tang and I'm also a Affinity developers. I will also try to help out when I can and I look forward to seeing your feedback and work created using our product. :)

When will the Designer Workbook be available in German language?

Mac print publishing X-Press & Adobe hostage, cooking on extrem high level, subscribing with joy to US Cooks Illustrated & Foreign Affairs, the british Spectator and the swiss Weltwoche - absolute incompatible publications 

My name is John F. Kennedy

Welcome to the Affinity Forums, John. :)

I gotta ask: is that F for Fitzgerald? ears.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi brunzenstein,

There's no eta fixed yet but it shouldn't take much longer. Either this (December) or next month if everything goes well.

Thank you - my wallet can't wait...

By the way -

Apple has problems shipping the new 15" MacBook Pro to Europe - ETA is about the same as your Designer Workbook...

Mac print publishing X-Press & Adobe hostage, cooking on extrem high level, subscribing with joy to US Cooks Illustrated & Foreign Affairs, the british Spectator and the swiss Weltwoche - absolute incompatible publications 

Hi, my name is Virgilio. I use Windows and I’m a nonprofessional illustrator program user. I know nothing about Mac and in what comes to illustration programs I know nothing about Adobe Illustrator. I have DrawPlusX8 that I don’t use because I find it a little limited. I’m using CorelDRAW for a very long time, since the early versions, and use macros now and then. Besides macros I’ve produced some works with automation, the BASIC based proprietary scrip language in the beginning and VBA afterwards. Automation is good, not needed very often but sometimes is necessary.

I purchased Affinity because many say that’s the very best program nowadays and it is affordable to experiment (and I am a Serif programs user). I hope that it was a good decision. It’s not the first time that I have more than one concurrent software program to use discretionarily. I’m sure I‘ll have some questions to put forward while in the program learning process.

Hi all,

my name is Markus and I've just discovered Affinity Photo for Windows.

As a professional consultant I (had to) have used Photoshop for quite some years now to do the usual cutting, image editing and processing stuff. Last version I used was CS6...until 3 days ago. I was neither happy with watching CS6 becoming outdated nor with subscribing to the CC money graveyard.

I'll keep it short - I have been going through most of the tasks I usually do when creating images for client presentations and from what I have seen so far, this is it.

Bold enough to say 'Goodbye Adobe!' at this point.  :D

Just need to find a replacement for Premiere Pro (which will likely be easier than PS) and my days are save. 

Great app, great video tutorials, great community - thank you guys!

Hi All,

My name is David and I am a full time Retoucher/Color Sponsor with a large Printing and Marketing firm. For the last 12 years I have had a major retailer/cataloger for my sole client (outside of some freelance work here and there). I use Photoshop at work for 8-10 hours a day and touch 20,000+ images (including RAW processing of 1000-1500 location shots) a year. I have been following the development of Affinity Photo for some time now but have just recently purchased the app for personal use. Having been a subscriber to the Adobe CC since it's inception I really have grown tired of the cost and frankly have soured on Adobe as a company. I'm encouraged by the quality and capabilities of Affinity Photo and look forward to learning this new tool. It was the announcement  and imminent release of AP 1.5 that finally gave me the incentive to end my CC subscription and purchase AP.

Best Wishes, David

Hello,

I'm Fernando Lins and I'm a User Experience designer from Brazil. I've worked as an UI designer for most of my carreer and now transiting to UX and Information Architecture.

I use Affinity Designer to design UIs and for personal stuff.

I also make electronic music as "LOQvST" (reads as 'locust'); you can listen to my music at http://loqvst.com

Thanks for the great app and hard work.

Hi All.

Scott here. I've been a game designer/programmer/artist for over 30 years. I am always on the lookout for something to replace Adobe. It looks like I have found it!

I have been evaluating the windows beta of Photo for a couple of days and I have to say that it is absolutely brilliant. Apart from a few niggles that I'm sure will be ironed out in time it is a superb tool for my needs.Well done.

Cheers. Scott. 

Hi all,

my name is Markus and I've just discovered Affinity Photo for Windows.

As a professional consultant I (had to) have used Photoshop for quite some years now to do the usual cutting, image editing and processing stuff. Last version I used was CS6...until 3 days ago. I was neither happy with watching CS6 becoming outdated nor with subscribing to the CC money graveyard.

I'll keep it short - I have been going through most of the tasks I usually do when creating images for client presentations and from what I have seen so far, this is it.

Bold enough to say 'Goodbye Adobe!' at this point.  :D

Just need to find a replacement for Premiere Pro (which will likely be easier than PS) and my days are save. 

Great app, great video tutorials, great community - thank you guys!

HI Marcus,

Give Grass Valley EDIUS a try and get rid of Premiere.  I use it and have just switched to Affinity Photo and Designer (unbelievable software for the price).  As soon as I find something to take the place of AE...goodbye monthly subscription.

HI Marcus,

Give Grass Valley EDIUS a try and get rid of Premiere.  I use it and have just switched to Affinity Photo and Designer (unbelievable software for the price).  As soon as I find something to take the place of AE...goodbye monthly subscription.

Thanks for the hint,

I didn't know that one, will give it a try.

:)

Hi, everyone!

My name is Jan Groh. I am from Berlin, Germany. I am a hobby photographer - and photography is the main reason why I use Affinity Photo. Thanks for this outstanding program, Affinity team. Great job. If I may ask for something which I would probably love even more than AP it would be a "successor"/alternative to Apple's Aperture. A RAW developer with great DAM and - if possible - deep integration into the system so that digital assets would be available from within many if not all other programs on my Mac. And - having a tendency towards prosopagnosia - I would very much appreciate if a face recognition was included in this program.

Looking forward to further programs by Affinity.

Best,

Jan