You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

Hello Everybody,

My name is Craig, I work as a laboratory technician for an automotive company. My real passion however is creating artwork. After a long time using 3d software I've decided the best way to improve my skills is to get back to basics and learn how to draw properly, learning how to use Affinity is an extension of that. Good times! I've never really been one for showing my artwork to the masses but I would like to change that and show my work to my fellow AD users. Hopefully I will pick up some good skills and advice along the way.

Take care everybody.

Hi 

I'm Kevin and I work for a Motorcycle racing team. I have been an amateur 3D animator, musician and now have Affinity which has helped me finally understand, layers, bezier curves and all the other essentials needed for good illustrations. My interest is in rider signiatures, giving riders a unique style for their name, number and mascot. 

Im really enjoying learning this app and look forward to seeing how it evolves and being part of this community.

Cheers

Hi kevsupermoto,

Welcome to the forum. if you are stuck for an ideas anytime, try this for size:

http://www.footballasfootball.com

This is best described as Superbowl team logos retranslated as FA/Europa style designs.

Ps I'm not a fan of either versions of the game; but the great artwork, really does shows the artistic divide over the pond.

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

Hi all,

better late than never ;) My name is Kevin and i am a graphic designer. I bought Affinity Designer today, after struggling with myself to buy it or not - but now I am glad I did.

Now I have figure out how Affinity Designers works ;)

Cya later all.

• Staff

Hi youmex,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Here's some links that may help you get started. 

Some are for tutorials and resources shared by members/users of this forum.

If you have any questions, go ahead and post them in the Questions section.

There's plenty of knowledgeable users around willing to help.

Have fun!

Hello everybody,

My name is Przemek. I'm graphic & web designer from Poland. New to Serif and Affinity Designer, which I bought today. Till now I was working only with Adobe CS6 but decided do give Affinity Designer a try. I'm quite amazed how smooth and quick it is compared to Illustrator. It seems that it will be perfect for web design, UI/UX, logo's and much more. I also like that Serif is really listening to customers and can't wait for new features.

Cheers

• Staff

Hello ticalion,

Welcome to Affinity Forums.

Glad to know you're enjoying it. 

Seems you will not have to wait that much. A new beta will be released soon and MattP is already showing some bits of it (meaning teasing everyone!). Since you already bought the MAS version you can install the beta alongside it if you want (they work independently). You can also check the roadmap posted by Tony to get an idea of what's coming to Affinity next.

I'm a long time Mac user.  Been looking for a replacement for Illustrator (which I never quite learned to use well) and recently for iDraw, which is a nice little program but doesn't offer nearly as many seriously handy features as Affinity Designer.  Just bought Designer and I'm looking forward to exploring all the features and learning to use it to the max.  Uh...what do I do?  I'm a retired housewife (if such a thing exists) and a painter/designer for personal pleasure.

I suppose I should introduce myself too.

I'm a developer/designer for more than 30 years and a Mac enthusiast for over 20. I have always loved Photoshop and hated Illustrator. Affinity Designer almost replaces both for me. (Just a few extensions I can't live without in Ps)

The bezier tool in both of those programs has always been a bit of an enigma for me, but AD let me convert one of my sketches from 25 years ago into vector curves in under an hour. The future can only be brighter for AD and I'm happy to be along for the ride.

Journey forth my friend, by body if needs be...

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.14 beta || USB Keyboard, Wireless Trackpad, Wacom Intous 3 Tablet

Hi, I'm Theo Stauffer. I'm a system administrator for a medium sized design company of mostly Mac users. We pay the yearly Adobe tax and we're tired of it. I've trialed and now bought AD and I have high hopes for it being another nail in Adobe's monopoly coffin. I really like it. Great UI, easy workflows, fast and unbloated. Great work!

hi .. i am jens .. aka Audio-Police .. i am a diplom designer from germany .. working with computer graphic programs since the early 90s .. so i have knowledge about them all .. since dos 5.0 and windows 3.1 .. mac since performa and the early PowerPC pizza pocket .. corel draw and painter .. all illustrators .. aldus pagemaker .. aldus freehand .. macromedia freehand .. flash .. fireworks .. adobe pagemaker .. indesign .. photoshop since 2.0 .. quarkxpress since 2.0 .. and i know ventura publisher (do you know GEM?) .. ((damn i feel old now)) .. and i know to layout single sheets with word and works .. also with apple's pages .. and with different other office tools .. summarized i can tell you one thing .. important is the main idea behind and the main metaphor to build up .. if you know to create a layout design grid .. and if you know to create vector and pixel graphics .. so you can use each application to do desktop publishing .. but different tools giving very different support to arrive the main goals you want .. so without creativity nor without knowledge of making graphics you are able to fail with the best application .. and stochastic actionism and random shots wasting a lot of time on the way to target .. going decellerated and holding focuns is much more faster then each app can act .. most of the working time the graphics app is waiting for your inputs

don't spoil the magic

Hi, my name is Gregory. I am a complete graphics novice. I was recently given the task of looking after two websites for a family member. This job includes creating a range of graphic and product images. I have spent the last couple of months, in my spare time, working through Photoshop and Illustrator tutorials via the Lynda.com service. I bought Affinity Designer out of desperation, with the hope that I can have a different type of learning curve to the one that the Adobe products offer. I hope I have made a good choice.  :mellow: Cheers.

Reality is perception. Perception is reality. You are in charge of both.

iMac  |  21.5  |  Mid 2011                 MacBook Air  |  13 inch  |  Early 2015

2.5 GHz  |  i5 quad                          1.6 GHz  |  Core i5

20 GB Ram  |  10.12.6                     8 GB Ram  |  10.13.6

Welcome, Mediafuel.

I'm very new to Affinity Designer myself, but I'm not a graphics novice. I work with a couple graphic designer professionals who looked at the app since I brought it up to them. The consensus we have is this:

If you're fairly new to graphics, in particular vector graphics, AD is an excellent place to start. The learning curve is pretty small compared to most similar apps. However, if you have 10-20 years of Adobe Illustrator ingrained in your muscle memory, AD is a bit harder to pick up and has a smaller (for now) feature set.

I think you've made a good choice. Even if you find you need more power from something like Adobe Illustrator, the cost of the app is roughly the same as a month of Creative Cloud, so you're really not out anything. Good luck!

Journey forth my friend, by body if needs be...

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.14 beta || USB Keyboard, Wireless Trackpad, Wacom Intous 3 Tablet

Welcome, Mediafuel.

Thank you Chris Van Cleve. I have just finished my first design project. Using the software to create what I needed seemed for the most part to make sense. Looking forward to doing more. Cheers.

Reality is perception. Perception is reality. You are in charge of both.

iMac  |  21.5  |  Mid 2011                 MacBook Air  |  13 inch  |  Early 2015

2.5 GHz  |  i5 quad                          1.6 GHz  |  Core i5

20 GB Ram  |  10.12.6                     8 GB Ram  |  10.13.6

Hey all, my name is Cesar. I've been using mostly Adobe products since, well, before they bought Macromedia I'll just say. These days I find myself doing mainly development so I can't really justify the monthly Creative Cloud membership which I unfortunately won't get much use from. So in looking for a suitable replacement I found out about Affinity designer within the Apple Mac App Store, under the Best of 2014 featured section. I tried the trial out for a whole 2 hours before making the purchase (watched several reviews and the overview video as well). I'm pretty sure Affinity will fulfill my needs quite well!

Well so far I'm happy with my decision and I'm looking forward to seeing this product mature and evolve so that another 10 years from now I can brag about having used AD when it was in version 1 :P

Cheers everyone.

I suppose I should introduce myself too.

I'm a developer/designer for more than 30 years and a Mac enthusiast for over 20. I have always loved Photoshop and hated Illustrator. Affinity Designer almost replaces both for me. (Just a few extensions I can't live without in Ps)

The bezier tool in both of those programs has always been a bit of an enigma for me, but AD let me convert one of my sketches from 25 years ago into vector curves in under an hour. The future can only be brighter for AD and I'm happy to be along for the ride.

Hi CVC,

welcome to the forum.

I never understood beziers and nodes...until I came across the bezier game, within the forum. I worked to the point, where it has got me off square 1. I also recommend this lil ol' link.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/3334-some-sort-of-manual/

This just goes to show the levels of support, talent, speed and togetherness here in AD land.

peter

Ps If you like the pumpkin tutorial then share the pumpkin love around :D Also ronniemcbride has done some wicked videos as well, enjoy!

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

Hello everybody,

My name is Przemek. I'm graphic & web designer from Poland. New to Serif and Affinity Designer, which I bought today. Till now I was working only with Adobe CS6 but decided do give Affinity Designer a try. I'm quite amazed how smooth and quick it is compared to Illustrator. It seems that it will be perfect for web design, UI/UX, logo's and much more. I also like that Serif is really listening to customers and can't wait for new features.

Cheers

Hi Przemek, welcome to the forum.

This will be a real breeze for you, with your background. AD really deserved it's new found reputation. Appstore app of the year runner up. I have learnt more from the last couple of months in this arena, than I have with years DrawPlus. I love both AD and DP and it's a pleasure to know both. I also own CS4 and don't really like it...too hard and slow for me. 

I can't draw, but I can trace and this is what I am most proud of...

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/2170-wip-family-guyairwolf-aka-shes-a-lady/

The bezier game can be found here...

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/1232-the-bézier-game/?hl=bezier

Hello everyone.

I'm just a retired old geezer with almost zero artistic skills but a decades old interest in technical drawing. I used to use Freehand with a Powermac running OS 8 for that (back when it was a Macromedia product). I have looked for years for an affordable vector drawing app that runs on modern Macs. For a while I tried making do with Freehand MX running in "Rosetta" emulation mode on an Intel Mac but when Apple dropped support for Rosetta with the release of OS 10.7 Lion, that became even more impractical than it already had become.

To be honest about it, I had never heard of Serif until I read about Affinity Designer being the Mac App Store runner up. Being cheap cautious I downloaded the trial version but it only took playing with it for about ten minutes to convince me my search was over & to visit the store & buy it.  :)

I have only used it for about a week & only explored a fraction of what it can do but it has already become my favorite drawing app of all time.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7