You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

Just an update, really, life rarely goes according to plan and I couldn't give the beta as much time as I wanted, But the break was good as, when I came back, Affinity Design suddenly felt like an old friend. Then along came Yosemite, I was one of the unlucky ones and this Mac has an appointment with Apple on Monday, it's hit and miss whether I can log in and I have to log in by using the first letter of my user name, enter, then my password. It works 50/50 and effectively that's meant a whole week when I'd cleared my 'desk' but couldn't log in to my Mac! But I've spent a couple of hours on here tonight and it just gets better and better, really getting to grips with the brushes and making mountain landscapes. 

I don't know how you managed to make the learning curve so easy (after a flirtation with Photoshop Essentials a while ago I never liked the idea of Adobe Illustrator), but I'm glad you did.

MacBook Pro 11,2,  Intel i7 4 core, 8Gb RAM, Graphics Intel Iris Pro.

iPad Pro 11.4,  256Gb, 10.5 Retina, A10X Fusion chip, Apple pencil

Desktop upgraded to Win10 64-bit, Intel i5 quad core, 8Gb RAM, NVIDIA GefORCE GT730

The Win-10 laptop is on permanent loan to my daughter......

My Flickr Album

Hello my name is Gerardo M.

I'm a graphic designer out of north california and while playing with the app I notice that haven't being able to find a panel for the glyphs of a font to show so I was wondering if such a thing exist.

Also another question I have is how to convert a color into a SPOT COLOR?

Thank you all.

Gerardo M.

I'm Ash. I'm a creative director/lead designer for a software company. Woohoo, software team represent! (is that something we do? No? OK. I'll stop.)

I was instantly impressed with affinty and I have a great deal of respect for the guys at serif for deciding to do this. I'd never expect a seasoned software company to jump on this boat. But you have! And you guys seem to be doing it all the right way too! You guys have the knowledge (and presumably resources) to create a viable alternative to Adobe. That's not only great for users but its unprecedented. Super excited to see where this goes!

Hallo, i'm Pablo an amateur music producer and i bought AD so i can make the artwork for my tracks, i don't have any design background but i think AD is so friendly-user. I hope there will be more tutorials so i can improve my work, and i'm waiting for the new features specially adding curve pads to text and some brushes. 

Thanks for having so much communication with the customers and the Affinity community. 

Art, music & design.

FB | IG | TW | BH | DB

Hi,

I'm Jamie... 33, from Delaware. I am a Graphic Designer turned into paginator/ layout for our local newspaper & I feel I have fallen off the Graphic Designer train. Which makes me sad (given hard times in the career industry I guess). 

Anyway, I am new to Serif and Affinity Designer. An old design teacher sent me the link & said "look at this". So here I am and I feel like I know nothing anymore. Illustrator use to be my go to and my best friend  :wub:  4 years ago. 

I watch tutorials to teach myself- but I am looking into going back to college to get refresher courses. 

At the moment I have watching your tutorials and TAKING NOTES (so sad). I was wondering if you there is a tutorial or a page with all the tools on it that I can visual learn from printing them out. Once I see them, the names of them & use them  at my own pace I will be set to go (it's how I learn).  Hey I may be able to save myself a few hundred bucks by teaching myself something I ALREADY know!  :P

Thank you for the program and thank you for taking the time to help me out.

Jamie

You gotta see this once you've downloaded it!

https://app.box.com/...7u2wscuxxra1e1y

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111

Hello, I'm Tobias,

Like some of the other members, I too am a dedicated serif user. I can't believe I'm so late to find out about Affinity! A Mac app?! Seeing that it works very similar to all that I've become so familiar with is exciting in itself. I'm very interested in discovering all the innovations packed in to this baby! 

Serif products have helped tremendously in developing My Metal Art!

www.mymetalart.com

My name is Phil and I'm a graphic designer.

I wanted to give a marketing feedback to Affinity Designer team.

Why I bought the app? Because..

I was searching an app that had nothing to do with design, on my App store I saw the banner 'Editor's choice' and I clicked the banner to see what was this app (always curious of design stuff).

Then I went on your website and straight went to look to the features and tools, then watch the video.

I was working with photoshop on a Pc win and now been working on Mac for a year but didn't want to buy Ps again. Then I found Affinity!

When I saw the price....I bought it!  

For a designer it is tough because softwares cost a lot but Affinity doesn't and can handle most of the design work need on the web.

Affinity will be amortized with a single contract like a banner design. 

So... thanks the 'editor's choice' label.

Hi everyone. 

I've recently had knee surgery so in my recovery time thought it would be good to learn a new skill...

Very much new to graphic design so lots to learn. I'm a complete novice and am based in London. 

I was wondering if anyone was able to recommend a course or somewhere i can get some help... Are the Affinity guys based in London too? maybe they could do some sessions?

Thanks for all your help - feels great to learn something new, and the software seems to be very intuitive.

Cheers

Hugo

Hi everyone. 

I've recently had knee surgery so in my recovery time thought it would be good to learn a new skill...

Very much new to graphic design so lots to learn. I'm a complete novice and am based in London. 

I was wondering if anyone was able to recommend a course or somewhere i can get some help... Are the Affinity guys based in London too? maybe they could do some sessions?

Thanks for all your help - feels great to learn something new, and the software seems to be very intuitive.

Cheers

Hugo

Hi Hugo

Your timing is great, MacBitesLearning are running a free tutorial session on Affinity Designer tonight, 8pm. I'm sure there'll be some useful tips whatever your level and you can ask for further resources too. 

http://macbiteslearning.co.uk/affinity-designer/

Also take a look at the tutorials section of our forum, you'll find more than just Affinity's own videos, many of the other forumites are experienced designers that are producing fantastic tutorials with great explanations.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/9-tutorials/

Good luck and get well soon!

Twitter: @Writer_Dale
Affinity apps run on: Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB RAM, GTX1650 Super

Hi all,

I'm Dave. I'm a programmer really, but I always have need of a quick UI element here and there as well as an odd logo or three. I was a die-hard Xara user, but for the last 12 years or so I've been struggling to get a comparable app for OSX. I settled on Inkscape for a while, until I ragequit it and actually bouhgt a PC just so I could use Xara for the occasional graphics I have to create. I was so happy to have found Affinity Designer (loved the videos), and so far it's been serving me very well indeed. Great job!

Dave

Hi Folks,

I'm Neil, a long time Serif software user... I've recently ordered a Mac (having been used to Windows) and it arrives today between 4 and 5 :) Once I've figured out how to turn it on I shall be grabbing myself a copy of Affinity! From the reviews I've been reading Matt and the rest of the team have created something awesome!

I've been needing an excuse to spend more time doing illustrations so this will be perfect... looking forward to getting my teeth into it :)

See you in the forums!

Oh, so there IS an intro thread!  :)

I kind of introduced myself on the Show Your Work thread, so I'll just make this short.  I worked in animation and fashion logo and design in Los Angeles for many years, but now I'm just a crafter and hobbyist living in Japan.  I'm also an Adobe defector.  Don't like the idea of having to rent their software at all, so I'm actively looking for ways to never have to use them again.  Started using Adobe software at Illustrator 7 and Photoshop 4.  For pixels nowadays, I've been using Clip Studio Paint until I find something I like better.  Tried using Inkscape a few times and hated it, and I found out about this program through doing a frustrated search on best vector illustration programs for Mac.  I'm currently using the trial version of the program to design a quilt, but look forward to eventually buying the whole thing!  

Please don't stop supporting older Macs!  I'm currently running on a 2009 MacBookPro, and don't know when I'll be able to upgrade.

Really loving the program so far!

Hi Neil! Really looking forward to seeing your work when you've had a few minutes playing to get used to Affinity! :)

Thanks Matt, just getting used to the Mac, it feels quite intuitive so don't think it'll take long... then to Affinity and beyond! :)

• Staff

Please don't stop supporting older Macs!  I'm currently running on a 2009 MacBookPro, and don't know when I'll be able to upgrade.

I have a 2008 MacBook Pro at home that I wrote a lot of the rendering tech on to make sure it ran fast enough - so for as long as we can, we'll continue to support older machines. The only real motivators would be when there are technological reasons to require a minimum spec, but usually those areas would be in features that you can just say aren't supported, if you're absolutely forced to.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Byrne here in Northern California.

I've been on Macs since OS 2. Canvas was my favorite drawing program until they abandoned the platform. Been suffering with AI ever since but version CS3 is evidently problematic on Yosemite and the whole subscription thing is egregious. So far, except for lack of arrowheads, dashed lines and a few minor others, Affinity looks and works better than Illustrator (at least CS3) in every way. 

I'm a retired teacher who mostly uses vector graphics to write science education apps plus the occasional mock-up of a shop project. To update my apps I'll need to update to Yosemite but will lose the use of illustrator. I suspect I'm not the only one in this bind and very much look foreword to the growth of Affinity Designer.

Neil, l don't know if you are new to Mac's, but if you are, the best book you can have is the Mac Missing Manual book

http://www.amazon.com/OS-X-Yosemite-Missing-Manual/dp/1491947160/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416757365&sr=8-1&keywords=mac+missing+manual

Gregg

OS X Version 10.14.6 iMac 27" 3.2 GHz i5- 32 GB  Huion Kamvas Pro 20

iPad Pro 12.9" IOS 13

AD = OS IOS, AP = OS IOS

Hi everybody,

I've just purchased Affinity Designer, so I'm really a rookie here!  :)

I'm been using Adobe Illustrator for more than 10 years. I need some new inputs and I'm very keen to learn about what AD can offer me.

So, I'm here to see what others user create. I'm here to learn from tuts. I'm here to ask questions about AD – and in the end I want to share my stuff also.

Best,

Outlaw Pete/ Soren

Hi Outlawpete,

just ask simple questions, complex questions and even random questions and someone here will try to get back to you sharpish.

All you have to do is this:

This just shows the level of peer to peer support there is here and say Hi to CartoonMike.

Enjoy

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111