You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

Hi everyone, I'm new to Affinity. trying to escape the Adobe Lr and Ps, bought On1 but it just doesn't feel right for me, Macphun creative kit does a pretty good job but I wanted something more and after watching some videos of Affinity I decided to give it a try and loving' it so far. thanks for the good work.

Hello all, I'm from the Dominican Republic :)

I'm a long time Adobe user, and am recently using the Affinity Suite to try it out, despite a few small glitches, it works really good, it does what I want, I hope it becomes more robust over time and I'm really waiting for the Affinity Publisher.

Kind regards,

Silvio.

Hi I am Victor living in the sunny Okanagan Valley in Southern British Columbia, Canada. I am a long time photography hobbyist and Aperture user. Looking for something to replace Aperture when it will no longer work on my Mac. I have checked out On1 and Macphun and while good they don't hold a candle to Affinity - imho! SoI have made the plunge and have purchase Affinity this morning. I have never used Photoshop or LightRoom so cannot comment about them, but I do know that they have been the photo editing standard for a very long time, but now that Affinity Photo have come onto the scene they have a very serious rival and a far less expensive one!  I am now retired and enjoying my photography work more than ever (how can I call it 'work'?). I want to add that I know that Affinity Photo will not import, catalogue and organize photos as Aperture does and still have not found any that can, and I include Apple Photos. I trust that my photography life (and many great photos) will be enriched by my association with Affinity, may it be a long one! Thanks to all the developers of Affinity, I believe that you have enhanced the lives on many photographers - pros and hobbyists!

astechman  :rolleyes:

Hola, soy Paco desde Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, España. También he comprado Affinity Photo pero echo mucho de menos tutoriales en español. A base de algunos tutoriales cortos en YouTube y por ahí, lo primero que he aprendido es a crear un pincel con un logotipo como firma de mis fotos. Pero claro que desearía poder seguir un flujo de trabajo como hacía en PS. Espero y así lo inicié en otro foro de Affinity, contactar con la comunidad hispana para poder tratar e intercambiar información y conocimientos en beneficio de todos. Un cordial saludo al mundo Affinity.

Hi I am Pedro and I'm from Sintra, Portugal.

I am a amateur photographer, when I tried to edit my photos "I had to go to free stuff". So I tweeted "I need a Photography program that doesn't need fees or being free", and under 1 minute a friend told me about Affinity Photo, so I started to look around "youtube / reviews" and finally decided to buy "this only took" 1h :D

Is to early to say, but by the looks I am happy.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all! SO glad to have found that Serif provides tutorials AND forums!!! WOOHOOO! 

I'm new to Affinity. Found it when doing a search for Photoshop alternatives. I do NOT (NOT, NOT, NOT!) want a subscription-based service for editing my photos, and creating digital scrapbook layouts! So, lo and behold! AFFINITY!

I've already viewed the one and only Affinity tutorial on lynda.com, and can't wait to view the tutes here. THANK YOU, Serif!

I work on a Mac. I'm a husband-lead convert from being a long-time Windows user. I love how intuitive Macs are, and cannot wait to get started with Affinity on my iMac. (I'm just downloading the paid version of Affinity, now, so figured I'd do some research on the Serif site while waiting for the download to finish.) I'm hoping to put Affinity to use doing freelance design, and photo restoration. 

Looking forward to "meeting" you all!

Hi to All, I've just abandoned Adobe CC (the cost has just become prohibitive) i have been using Adobe for over 10 years.

A BIG thank you to Serif for releasing this amazing, the tutorials are an excellent introduction to us Illustrator converts.

Proper full screen support, links to iCloud Drive...love it, just need something for my iPad  :)

The biggest thing I'm going to miss is some of the fonts I have been using, and Dreamweaver.

Hello everyone!

I'm another one of Creative Cloud refugees; so far Affinity Photo & Designer have proven their worth many times over. I especially like that the interface of Designer is not (yet, hopefully never) as clunky as Illustrator (with many tools & ways carried over from ten versions ago). All in all, I'm quite content and gladly waiting for Publisher.

Cheers,

Markku

Hi I'm Bob.  I'm excited about a possible alternative to AI and have purchased AD.  I run a small company with 20+ employees and (while I'm sure you've heard this many times) many, many people were upset when Adobe killed Macromedia Freehand.  if you're software had the capabilities (and intuitiveness) of Freehand I'd buy it for my entire staff tomorrow and feel many others would as well.  I've only played around with it a little, but if I were to require my staff to use AD today, we'd take a huge productivity cut.  Please keep developing.  A knife tool (unless I'm missing something) would be great.  if the pen tool worked a little more like FH, would be great.  A blend tool similar to FH would be great as well.  Other FH tools I miss (in AI, but easier in FH):  inset path, expand stroke, punch tool, expand stroke.  Our work is primarily vector based technical illustrations and speed is crucial.  we don't go back and forth, playing with lines often or "designing".  Freehand was great and so much faster/intuitive/easier than AI.  if you really want to slay AI, IMO it needs to be as simple and as intuitive as Freehand.   Please keep up the good work and I will spend more time familiarizing myself with your program and watching for updates in hopes that someday soon, I can commit fully to Affinity Designer as our go to program!

respectfully,

-Bob

Hey all, they call me Greg, mostly because I've been told that's my name!

I'm  a graphics/digital imaging dabbler.

Last year, after a decade on Linux, I switched back to Mac (the sordid details on my change of allegiance here), though I've used Mac, Windows and Linux in my work and side worky jobs.

I've had experience with that Other Photo Editing Software over the years, but at some point it started becoming more of a chore to learn how to use it, navigate it and fight the temptation to obtain it by less than honest methods due to their stupid subscription on the cloud pricing structure (who though that was a good idea? Greedy bean counters?).

But I digress...

A month or so ago, I came across Affinity purely by accident (or was it really an accident?) when I clicked the 'random' link at the top of reddit.

I was intrigued. I downloaded the trial. Watched almost all of the tutorials and realized that Photo was something I could get into, not get frustrated trying to figure it out (the awesome tutorials played a big part in that, thanks!).

I bought a licensed copy and haven't looked back. That's kind of a big deal, as my years using linux has ingrained the idea that there's usually a free/open source comparable tool that can do it just as well and no need to buy a program.

A few days later, I checked out the Design trial and  purchased it after an afternoon of discovering what it can do.

There's a few 'base line' techniques or affects I try to achieve when I play with a new image editing program.

I can do them with my eyes closed in GIMP, can I duplicate them in this here new fancy application?

So far, Affinity is an affirmative.

The Affinity team has something special here (obviously. Apple knows it, too!)

Keep up the good great work

Hi, thetawave, Greg. Another Greg here. I liked reading your history from the link. I go back a way, myself, tho' most of what I've done was just for myself. But some years ago, I was the guy who recommended the department buy NEXT's 'cause they were essentially 'nix w. a really slick GUI. It was a little awkward when Next faded, but OSX was most welcome as most of the dept. transitioned to Apple. Spent more time supporting the 15% of the staff on Win than the rest.

Any rate, been using GIMP for a couple of months. Likewise, Inkscape. Both have great features, but the apps are not so easy to use. AD is really sweet, tho' it has a way to go. I suppose AP is similar. I've been viewing the AP tutes, and there seems to be stuff that I could not at present do w. GIMP. 

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I'm a freelance designer and new to Affinity. 

My design experience is mainly in magazine publishing. I recently bought a beautiful new 27inch Retina display iMac. I've been designing using CS5.5 since 2007 and quickly realised 5.5 would not work well enough on my new machine.

I was freaking out one night last week, thinking  I would have to subscribe to the EVIL Adobe CC  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  then by pure chance stumbled across Affinity. I have bought Designer and Photo and cannot wait for Publisher to be released .

I never in a million years thought I would see myself designing on anything other than Adobe software, yet here I am! I doubt I will ever go back now

When will Publisher be released?

MissCL

Miss CapriLondon  :rolleyes:

Hello everyone  :) *waves*

My name is Jay and I'm a screen designer and hobbyist-digital artist from Switzerland.

I'm a windows user and was so happy when Serif announced that Affinity is coming to windows. I am  - as a lot of 'affinities' - a long time user of Adobe products who isn't happy with the recent development and monetizing strategy they're went for. In my opinion Adobe has reached their zenith and are waaay overpriced.

And after some research I stumbled over the Affinity products (back then there was no windows development announced yet) and got them on my radar. There are still some functions missing but it feels so smooth to use it and especially in my personal work i have a blast. Later - when there is a stable release -  I plan to converte in my job as well. :)

Can't wait to see what the future (of Affinity) brings us. Thanks for leading us into the light.  ;)

The biggest thing I'm going to miss is some of the fonts I have been using, and Dreamweaver.

@RealSparky: Depending on if you used certain functions (like the Dreamweaver-Templates) there are some great alternatives to Dreamweaver.

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post some examples here (it's not really a competition, but still kinda '3rd party ad', so I guess not) but if you wanna have some suggestions, leave me a private message.

Hi my name is David an old film user I recently started up with Digital  photography as a hobby. I have tried my hand with  Adobe CC but being pretty new to photo editing software I tried Affinity Photo and with all the tuition available I find this much easier to use or at  least for my purposes.I am 64 years of age and would rather be out taking photographs than spending ages on post production.I think AP will let me do this plus I now own this program and am not paying out a monthly fee as I was with Adobe its early days yet for me with AP but hopefully I am going to have fun learning 

Hi my name is Jamie and I am the owner of x5tuts-marketplace.com, some people may may know me from the serif community forum for some of the freebies that we have posted on that forum, I am actually quite pleased with the affinity software, I find it quite simple to use compared to Photoshop.

We are also pleased to announce that we now accept Affinty files on x5tuts-marketplace.com which you can either sell or give away for free.If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask

thanks

Hi. I am Sheila with an iMac with all updates and Affinity . Using Affinity to acquire images to was horrible today. No images to see. Had to use my scanner from" preview and then try to pull into AFFINITY. Also tried to use panoramic today because my scanner is to small for my art drawing. Nope. Wouldn't work. I did take many scan of the image but affinity showed zero pictures to pull into the panoramic programming.

So I use my Nikon camera to take pictures of my drawings after I hang them on a wall. My drawing are black on white paper. When pulled into affinity they are no longer black and white. I wanted to make them into a black & white colouring book , but the black drawings on white paper turn out to be discoloured. I am frustrated. I keep trying to follow tutorials.

But when the scanner says it is being used by the Affinity program and there is zero picture, it doesn't help.

Hello,

Dave here, aka metalshredder57.

Been into digital imaging since photoshop was on one 3.5 diskette. Been a photog forever. Fashion, glamour are my favorite styles.
Worked at apple for ages. Sold Macs in a store across the street from Apple Corporate for ages as Imaging and video sale, training and consultant. 
I really like this app and hope to become as familiar with this as I am with photoshop.