You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Introduce Yourself

MattP

Hi All,

Like Marvin I am also retired and a keen amateur photographer. Until recently I was a Windows user with some 30 years experience from MSDOS onwards. Like most people I have put up with the ups and downs of Microsoft products without too much moaning (what would be the point?). The end came with Win8/8.1 on my new all in one PC. Upgrading to Win10 just made things worse! I bought a refurbished early 2009 Mac running Yosemite and the difference in performance was staggering. I have a subscription to Photoshop CC which along with Lightroom were my tools of choice but I don't like the subscription model and I was disappointed to hear Aperture was being discontinued as It had been recommended as a viable alternative. So, I set out to find something else, Thank you Serif! I downloaded a trial of Affinity Photo, and I love it!

The tutorial videos are excellent and I have mastered the basics in a fraction of the time it took me to get a handle on Photoshop. It's so much faster as well. Keep it coming guys! My trial just expired and I am going to download the full version in a few minutes (after I've Cancelled my CC subscription).

Hälsningar alla! Greetings from the Palisades in Los Angeles. I knew nothing of Affinity or Serif until yesterday when I had to melt my Creative Cloud software into a ball of plastic along with that greedy little subscription nonsense. Really, that other system is too cumbersome and nagging and from everything I see here, well, I've found my antidote. What a wonderful world; if only I'd known sooner.

It's a fantastic environment, very engaging, a crystal clear experience infused with awe (for me)—and it's immediately clear the developers et al have meaningful, compelling interest in their work. Which, in turn, inspires me. Thank you—it's super refreshing. I feel like a kid in a candy store.

..:  He leaves no marks inspite of sparks  :..  ..:  The Ecstatic Panic  :..

Hello all,

fairly new to post processing (I was in the best photo possible taken camp for a lot of years), and relatively new-ish Mac Air owner (compared to Win laptops).

Tried Adobe PSE12 initially, then when I updated the iOS, found I couldn't access Adobe PSE12 anymore.  Only had the programm 4 months before I was locked out.  That was the start of the end as far as Adobe was concerned for me.

Seen Affinity, and being recommended as product of the year in the Mac App store goes a long way recommendation wise for me, and at £30 - it's not going to crush my wallet.  No subs either means I can use the program while offshore, where no wi-fi can be common.

By day (weeks at a time) I work offshore oil+gas, in the field of ROV's (underwater robots).  When not away, and back home, I love shooting landscape and wildlife with my Canon 7D, and assorted lens.

Live in Northern Ireland, so plenty of greens to shoot. ^_^

Hi,

I'm Ed, another retiree and photo and video enthusiast. I too used to use Photoshop but ... (you know all the reasons). Tried Pixelmator which is OK but IMO doesn't hold a candle to Affinity Photo. Bought Photo about a week ago and have been working through tutorials provided by Affinity and also from Simon Foster (aka Drippy Cat). Both have been valuable resources and are getting me up to speed much faster than I dared hope!

Hi, I started using Photo a few months ago and I'm absolutely enjoying it. I've been doing 360 panorama photography down here in the Caribbean and I'm pretty excited to see that you're implementing direct interaction with equirects etc. Amazing job guys! 

Hi guys, how are you today? I don't know if this is the right place to ask that.  I'm crazy to buy Affinity Photo on the App Store, but it says that I can't buy it now, I get a message: "This item has being modifying, try again later", something like that. When Affinity Photo will be available? Sorry about my english, I'm from Brazil and my english is not very good. Have a nice day!

Meu nome é André, desenhista sou gráfico e ilustrador 3D no Brasil, e usei corel por 16 anos, e nos ultimos 6 5 anos tenho usado o xara designer pro, mais me apaixonei pela versão Affinidade beta windows, por isso agora vamos usa-lo como software padrão em meu studio no Brasil.

My name is Andre, I'm a graphic designer, illustrator and 3D in Brazil, and I used corel for 16 years, and in the last 6 five years have used xara designer pro, most fell in love with version Affinidade beta windows, so now let's USA- it as standard software in my studio in Brazil.

hello, my name is lori, you can call me jungleprincess.  i recently purchased affinity and when i go to upload a picture after even just a little bit of tweaking it says it's too big, "has to be less than 10 mb."  it's smaller than the original, how does this happen and what do i do now?  thank you, anyone and everyone

Hello, all,

1st post. Bought Designer last week, and have been delighted. Goes well with my new to me reconditioned '15 iMac 27" retina

I'm retired now, and this will mostly be for personal projects. Started w. computer graphics in the ancient days of ASCII art line printer out put. Later, got an Amiga, and was using a 3D app called Silver, later renamed Turbo Silver, later Imagine. When the Amiga went away, moved to PC, continuing w.  Imagine and adding Corel Photopaint and Draw. Spent a couple of years writing scripts for Photopaint to "artify" digital photos into pseudo watercolors, etchings, etc. The company I worked for adopted Macs, and I was thrilled w. OSX, having used Unix a little. Unfortunately, the Corel Draw and Paint moved exclusively onto the PC, and I couldn't afford to support multiple platforms, either in $ or time. Got to use Creative Suite thru work, but the cost was prohibitive for my own work.

Have done some simple 3D w. Sketch-up. Lately, been using GIMP and Inkscape. The sophisticated UI and surprising depth of Affinity has been a very pleasant surprise. Can't wait to see how the new symbols routine works.

Have several children and their spouses who do graphic work. Can't wait to show them this app when they next come to visit Gram and Gramp.

gdenby

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Hi, This is Bill from Pennsylvania and as of this week new to Affinity products. My wife and I have a small photo business and do a fair amount of photo restorations and slide scanning, restoring and digitalizing. We also build digital slide shows for clients with Fotomagico Pro, another excellent product. We have been using Photoshop (full version) for around 10 years and had most versions and have been using CS6 since its introduction. We just didn't want to upgrade to Photoshop Cloud ($$$) and to be honest was greatly disappointed when Adobe stopped supporting CS6 and forced it's customers into a monthly pay system. I have been testing Affinity Photo now for several days and really like it's performance and output. The cropping method seemed strange at first but thanks to the excellent tutorials I am trying to adapt to this different way of cropping, although CS6 method seems much simpler. In CS6 one could enter resolution either at pixels or inches but also include the DPI for printing. I experienced 2 crashes up to this point with one when opening Affinity the very first time and second time was when I was using the inpaint feature. Other than that it runs very fast and great on both our 2015 MacPro in the office and fine on our 2015 MacBook Pro (no crashes on this) My plan is to run both Affinity and Photoshop side by side for a while, while weaning off of CS6. A big hello from Pa!  

update: (12 days later) Since the initial install which produced 2 crashes everything has been running fast and smooth on both the 2015 MacBook Pro and 2015 MacPro. So pleased with Affinity Photo we now also purchased Affinity Designer. Quickly getting adjusted to the differences we have encountered between Affinity Photo and CS6. 

Hi everyone, I'm just a hobbyist  that has just come back to photography after being away from it for a couple of years. I came across Affinity Photo on a post on Facebook so thought I would have a look. Wish I had seen this just before resubscribing to other software :) . Anyways for such a good price I thought why not give it ago. My first impressions are very positive. Looking forward to the HDR and other new goodies when 1.5 is available. 

Cheers

Kath

Hello everyone, my name is Dalia.  I'm an amateur who enjoys working with graphics - some knowledge with Photoshop, Corel and, yes, GIMP.  Have no idea where I came across Affinity Photo yesterday - watched a few videos, did a bit of research and became obsessed.  Just purchased and look forward to being part of the Community.

Hello everyone,

My name is Saif, I started my PC world career with programming and game developing and then I came upon a struggle which is how to make my games' graphics.

After tons of searches done, I finally could make it to know about "Flat design" and "Vector drawing", I started searching for "Vector editors" and I came across some other products (I don't know if I am allowed to mention them :P). Anyways, I finally got myself here after I read Chris Hildenbrand's post about Affinity Designer on his blogspot.

I suck in real-life drawing, even my hand writing is so bad but I think I can be way too better in digital world drawing :)

Here is my first project done with Affinity Designer, it is my first try with Vector editing and it is still not complete:

yGsgkhH.png

I LOVE programming and vector drawing. :)

Hey, I was just exploring Photoshop alternatives because my Creative Cloud subscription is expiring. Instead I found Affinity Designer. I am a heavy user of Adobe Illustrator and I'm quite satisfied with it but couldn't resist to try out Designer. I found the interface nice and had a blast with the snapping (one-candidate-snapping :wub: ) options and triangular grids. I still use Illustrator for my daily needs, but AD is already a great playground for non-serious work.

I registered to report bugs and add feature-requests. One day Designer could actually replace Illustrator for me. I'm definately going to buy Designer once the Windows Demo ends and the snapping features are improved further.

~Andrej

Hi everyone, I'm Frederick aka Aldyn ^^ from France.
I use Adobe Creative Suite for years in my job and I've discovered Affinity Software recently.

Amazing pieces of sotfware with great GUI and functions, I've adopted Affinity Photo (and certainly Designer) for personnal purposes (web design, photo editing and so on) on my old late 2008 macbook pro.

Frederick

Hey there!

I'm an Adobe refugee seeking asylum. I'm a freelance graphic designer who specializes in lettering and typographic design.

I've been using Adobe products for a number of years, but recently became disenchanted with the subscription model so I decided to cut the cord. Don't get me wrong, Adobe products are amazing, but I don't want to pay for 37 apps when I only need 3. Plus, that price is only ever going to go in one direction—up—and I don't like being contractually obligated to it.

After looking for Illustrator alternatives I discovered Affinity Designer and I'm incredibly impressed with its capabilities. It's still missing a few fundamental things for me as a professional, but overall I'm amazed with so many aspects of the software that I don't mind hacking/muddling through things while it's being improved.

I'm excited to see where Affinity products go from here and happy to be a part of the growing community of those that have seen the light.  :D