You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] Γ—

Introduce Yourself

MattP

Hello, I'm Michael and founder of MacWEEK β€” a desktop publishing pioneer, since we were the first major publication to separate four color on the desktop, according to BusinessWeek. Affinity Designer user since 2014 and working on my fourth book directly in Publisher. 😁

Old school designer/writer. I use on-line and traditional books for instruction.

I am seeking instruction on how to do basic text and design procedures using Affinity Publisher. Have 20+ years experience with Adobe InDesign. Am able to create smaller documents but have problems with creating both new and converted documents. Looking for a good how-to book or on-line instruction guide (that I can understand).

Hi. I'm not a "creative" pro. I have next to no talent for anything artistic. However, I'm a patent attorney and like to do my own patent illustrations. Always have. Over the years, I've used Visio (which is quite good for circuit schematics), Draw.IO (which, aside from a few frustrations, is even better than Visio for circuit schematics), CorelDraw (which I liked) and, more recently, Vectornator.

I finally grew sick of lack of stability in Vectornator -- Β given that I'm using a 14in Macbook Pro for my work machine and that it is rock solid in literally everything else, I blame Vectornator. I also grew sick of the inability to change the size of arrows at the beginning/end of lines. Given how simplistic my uses are, Illustrator would feel like a ripoff. Decided to try Affinity 2. I'm liking it so far, after a bit of a learning curve. Thus far, it has addressed the complaints I had about Vectornator and has been stable.

So, uh, hi everyone. I'm here to learn tips and tricks, ask questions, etc.

Edited by TechnoLawyer

Hi @TechnoLawyerΒ and welcome to the forums

There is no shame in being talentless. I am not blessed with talent either.
But in this community you can learn so many new things and get inspiration for your own projects.Β 

So, once again, welcome.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X |Β INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GBΒ  |Β 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)Β  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803)Β 

Affinity SuiteΒ V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with:Β https://www.deepl.com/translatorΒ Β 
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Hi everyone,

I'm Sofia. I am new here. I am a professional photographer at "Presets Factory" who grew up in France. I love to spending our days outdoors, playing and exploring. I love with nature photography and now, it is my passion. I am so much happy to join this community. Here is lots of things to learn.

Thanks & Regards
Sofia

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2023 at 2:12 AM, KomatΓΆs said:

Hi @TechnoLawyerΒ and welcome to the forums

There is no shame in being talentless. I am not blessed with talent either.
But in this community you can learn so many new things and get inspiration for your own projects.Β 

So, once again, welcome.

Thanks @KomatΓΆs. Yeah I feel no shame about it. The big thing for me is just being able to make pro-looking patent illustrations on my own quickly and easily. I spent a few hours this morning doing a long series of process flow views of fabrication of a certain semiconductor device and they came out fairly nice.Β 

@ANurse97, good to meet you too if only virtually, welcome to the forums...

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

Hi

I'm Billie and very new to this kind of world. A long time ago I used to use Craft Artist, but not for scrapbooking, for making cards, boxes, books and that kind of thing. I was sad when it didn't work on the updated machines and windows 10. So made the mistake of deleting all the kits I had.

Then, I found the Affinity bundle, and my mind was blown by the possibilities! I really like how versatile it is and how the programs work and compliment each other. I still plan to make cards and boxes but not just from printing pre made images but desiging elements from scratch. Drawing IRL and then bringing those images into the suite, to have more flexibility in character design and how I use it. As a planner fan, I've also created planner layouts as teplates for various planners, so looking forward to integrating images to those,as I learn more.

I'm not a tech head and with dyslexia, I struggle to understand things, so having the option of watching the video demos on You Tube is a big win, as I learn much better by seeing something done. Looking forward to experimenting with the software and learning more techniques to become a digital artist too. I had a few books on box design, so Im looking forward to using this software to create that kind of thing too.

Thanks for this space, and hope to learn more here.

Billie

Hello, my name is Jose Manuel, I live in Venezuela and I have a YouTube channel in Spanish where I teach how to use Affinity tools. Very excited about the new beta system and the new features of beta 2.1. I hope to be able to contribute my grain of sand testing the beta. Regards

Hello! My name is Logan. I am the managing editor for several newspapers in eastern Wyoming. I am relatively new to Affinity products as I have only been using them for around two years, but I am using the products more every day. The products are easy to use, easy to learn and have excellent assets.Β 

It's great to meet you all and I look forward to seeing where Serif/Affinity progresses from here!

Logan

Hi,

My name is Tim and I'm a British citizen who has lived out of the UK for the last 30 years and in the Czech Republic for the last 20 of those.Β Czechia (as the rest of the world now seem to want to call it) is a great place to live - I recommend a visit if you have not already been here.

I have a broad career background in broadcastΒ systems & telecommunications network engineering,Β plus a hefty dose of product management, solutions marketing and IT business platform design & support.

These days I run my own company (Weston Workshops - UK registered) and also do all the IT, web and support work for my wife's e-commerce business here in CZ. I also have a couple of product design & manufacture projects which I am moving forward with.

In the corporate world, I used Adobe products (most latterly Creative Cloud) but their subscription pricing model is too rich for my taste, so I made the switch to Serif/Affinity a few years back with no regrets. I am definitely not a 'power-user' at this point, but for the sort of graphical work that I do, the Affinity suite is perfect with excellent support and informative tuition videos for learning - great job Affinity Team!

I have recently got into 3D printing (for the aforementioned product projects) which is another rapidly developing technology areaΒ that is becoming more relevant and accessible to small businesses and private individuals alike.

I'm happy to share experiences or thoughts on any of the above - just drop me a line - and hopefully I'll be able to contribute something here too.

Cheers for now,

Tim
Β 

Hi everyone, I've been tinkering with Affinity Designer on the Windows and iPad platforms for a little while. I first bought a copy of Designer during one of those 50% off pandemic-related discount sales; I recently upgraded to V2. I primarily work in the sign industry, mostly designing permanent electric signs, but also a variety of other things (vehicle wraps, billboard faces, way-finding sign systems, temporary banners, etc).

I use a variety of graphics applications, some general purpose and others that are specific to the sign industry. Most of my work is done within Adobe Illustrator or CorelDRAW; I've used both since the early 1990's. I've used other applications like Deneba Canvas and Macromedia Freehand in the past. I occasionally play around with Inkscape on the PC or Vectornator on my iPad. It doesn't hurt to see what other applications are offering and how they stack up to my "daily driver" software.

Affinity Designer was an easy addition, thanks in part to the really low price. I have to work with a pretty good amount of client-provided artwork. Some artwork is professionally designed assets from major companies. Then there is artwork from small businesses, created by owners or employees whose primary job is not doing graphic design. More often that not those assets need varying degrees of work to be made production ready. With Affinity Designer being very affordable the potential is there for it to be adopted by more and more "casual" users. So I think it's important to be up to speed with the application just in case I start receiving afdesign files from clients. It's often easier to work with customer provided artwork in its native application environment than it is to import it into a rival piece of software.

Edited by Bobby Henderson

Hi all, I'm Jon. I've dabbled with little bits and pieces of a lot different ecrative areas, and I've always wanted to develop my graphic design skills. I'm currently looking at going back into full time education to do neuroscience, and I'd love to be able to create compelling infographics to be able to help communicate with my peers/the public.Β 

If anyones got any advice on tutorials/courses etc that have helped them develop I'd greatly appreciate it!Β 

Looking forward to learning from/with you guys.

Jon

Hi I'm Alan. I'm a retired Technical Illustrator and spent most of the last 30 years working with Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop. I've cancelled my Adobe Creative Cloud subscription and switched to Affinity as it's a lot more affordable. So far I'm quite pleased with it as it seems to do most of what I want it to do although often in a slightly different way. One thing that appears to missing is a Blend Tool in Designer. Is this something that is planned for the future?

This is the sort of artwork I was creating in Illustrator but it's not so easy in Designer.

917_Salz_Back_Low-Res.jpg

Hello,Β  I'm Ray, I'm a Mac user, and I have used inDesign; but not for the past 8 years at least. I want to publish a small booklet and the uTube videos either skirt quickly over the fundamentals of Affininty Publisher 2 too quickly or I cannot find the things I'm interested in. I need reeducation on the very fundamentals of making a booklet, setting the margins, inserting text from Word for Mac. Could I be guided to very fundamental set ups for documents, in publishing only for the time being.

45 minutes ago, Caspar Ray said:

Hello,Β  I'm Ray, I'm a Mac user, and I have used inDesign; but not for the past 8 years at least. I want to publish a small booklet and the uTube videos either skirt quickly over the fundamentals of Affininty Publisher 2 too quickly or I cannot find the things I'm interested in. I need reeducation on the very fundamentals of making a booklet, setting the margins, inserting text from Word for Mac. Could I be guided to very fundamental set ups for documents, in publishing only for the time being.

Hi Caspar Ray and welcome to the forum

Maybe this youtube course takes you in the right direction:

Β 

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X |Β INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GBΒ  |Β 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)Β  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803)Β 

Affinity SuiteΒ V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with:Β https://www.deepl.com/translatorΒ Β 
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

hello i am jean pierre located in the netherlands generally interested in software i find useful or could be useful to me, i am an carpenter and own several pieces of software like ,turbocad professional , paintshop pro ,affinity designer2/photo2/publisher2 and some others. but cant use any of them in a efficient way.( i am self-taught) and have no art background or anything like that i'm pretty decent at adding different pictures together and make it look good for they eye but i lack the creative mind to draw anything myself πŸ˜‚

perhaps i will see one of you again in a topic i open with a stupid questionΒ 

Β 

pc setup
MB:pro z690-A ddr4,powersupply 1000watts,intel i7 12700K,32GB DDR4 ram,Nvidia 3080 strix OC 12GB

Β