You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD vs. PS CMYK Conversion

Just for fun I opened up a AD sample image and changed the document to be CMYK/8. That muted the colors a lot. Didn't find a saturation change option. Reverted to RGB and exported the file to PSD and opened in PS and opened it. The files look close. Converted the file to CMYK in PS and there quite a difference. In the below the top is PS (left) and AD (right) in RGB. Bottom is PS (left) and AD (right) in CMYK.

post-6793-0-35582500-1424827353_thumb.jpg

"You're never too old to create refrigerator art..." - crosbymultimedia.com <- site's being tweaked. "I have been wrong before."

Crosby, have you checked your Preferences > General tab and made sure the Profiles and Intent are set up appropriately?

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Crosby, have you checked your Preferences > General tab and made sure the Profiles and Intent are set up appropriately?

Yep. Matches my PS settings as well. I used one of the supplied images, Old Man, by Troy Browne. Try it and let me know if you get a different result.

"You're never too old to create refrigerator art..." - crosbymultimedia.com <- site's being tweaked. "I have been wrong before."

Can I also ask which version of Affinity Designer you were using? The current beta has had a number of colour management-related fixes, so this is the one to use for this test.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

Just downloaded the new beta, 1.1.2.23074 ad ran the same test...same results. Feel free to tell me what I'm doing wrong, I have been wrong before.

Crosby!

• Staff

Turn off the white balance adjustment at the top, and turn off the second layer down (it's 45% opacity colour blend mode) and then do your conversion - the results are as you would expect now. You can't compare a document composed of different elements, blend modes and adjustments with a simple rasterised RGB image conversion as they're just not doing the same thing at all. Opening the simple RGB rasterised image as a new document in Designer and then converting to CMYK (as per your PhotoShop test) produces the same results you see in PhotoShop.

So, I think, everything is acting exactly as expected :)

Matt

Thanks Matt! The white balance didn't affect it but turning off the second layer did. Also, as suggested, I saved it as a RGB TIFF, opened it in AD, and changed to a CMYK/8 and it worked just fine. Yea. :)