You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

White line along the left and top of the picture

I'm an art photographer so details are important to me. At certain magnitudes in Affinity Photo, I experience a white line along the edge of my images on the left and top. If I enlarge the image (CTRL + "+"), the white border usually disappears. But it's very disturbing to work with white edges, where you do not expect a white edge.

My other photo editing programs work without a white edge!

I have attached screendumps with a picture with white border and an image without a white border.

with-white-border.afphoto

without-white-border.afphoto

• Staff

Hi IanSG, 
The dev team is aware of this effect. I don't know if we have this filled as a bug specifically since it's widely known internally (i can check it out if it's logged or not) but i believe it's one of those things that we hope to polish/address at some point as the development moves forward/time permits.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello Meb,

i bought my license yesterday, version 1.7.3.481. The affect still apears, to me it's bug. It irritats me. When I cut out something it's unclear, if I something went wrong or if it's the Affinity bug.

Do you have an idea, when it will be fixed?

Best wishes

Edited by blackwhitegrey

• 4 months later...
On 6/4/2018 at 1:23 PM, MEB said:

The dev team is aware of this effect. I don't know if we have this filled as a bug specifically since it's widely known internally (i can check it out if it's logged or not) but i believe it's one of those things that we hope to polish/address at some point as the development moves forward/time permits.

Just in case it wasn't mentioned yet: This rendering issue also affects the appearance of the rectangular selection marquee with Select All (Cmd-A), which to me mostly is shown on the left + upper edges only. It seems to depend on the zoom level, I get it on 4 edges correctly only in quite small zoom levels. Quite confusing, since a selection as 'usually' shown (just top + left) also is possible and can be in purpose.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 5 months later...
On 10/20/2020 at 6:06 AM, MEB said:

Thanks for your feedback. This issue is already logged to be looked at.

To paraphrase Seinfeld:

You know how to log the issue. You just don't know how to fix the issue. And that's really the most important part of logging the issue. The fixing of the issue. Anybody can just log an issue. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaAeUQrVw4c

So after many years of users reporting this issue, nothing at all has been done to cause APhoto to display an image correctly on the monitor. Instead, APhoto randomly inserts a white line border around some sides of an image or along some parts of some sides of an image.

Of course we have learned to work around the issue. But Serif's inability to fix the issue makes me wonder what else APhoto is doing incorrectly to the image, something less noticeable that will rise up to bite us later.

It is frustrating to report an issue only to be told, "Oh yes. We've known about that internally for years. It's a side effect of how we render images on screen."

Over the past 40 years I have used dozens of applications that display images on the screen. Only APhoto inserts white lines around the edges of the image.

I am curious as to why Serif has chosen a method of rendering that introduces errors into the image. Are there not industry standard methods that don't produce such a side effect? Is there some advantage to doing it Serif's way that I don't understand?

Affinity Photo 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6; Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 (MSI) and 1.10.6. Windows 10 Home x64 version 22H2.
Dell XPS 8940, 16 GB Ram, Intel Core i7-11700K @ 3.60 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060

Welcome to software development. Frankly, this is the norm anymore. I can't STAND this industry. But hey, if I don't want to deal with Adobe, I have to deal with Affinity. The industry is a disgrace and there are geeks left and right who will use the logical fallacy of "special pleading" to excuse and justify everything wrong with it.

This same "pick your evil" is everywhere in the industry. I use Apple products for computing because Microsoft is just that much worse. Apple sold me on Mac OS with Snow Leopard, sold me on iPhones with the first few generations of iOS and phones... but now, they're like every other computer industry company: cram the next thing on the market without fixing the bugs of the prior thing (while introducing more).

I have seen this problem in other image display programs, by the way, including in Adobe Photoshop. It seems to be related to using GPU for image display acceleration. GPUs are not big on accuracy, just speed. So the issue COULD be complicated. OR it could just be the fact that Affinity has judged it to be purely cosmetic and therefore entirely unworthy of attention while they continue to try to compete with Adobe purely from a feature list standpoint.

Regardless, we, as the customers in this abysmal industry, have to just take it the way it is because we have zero choice otherwise. We are actually exercising our minimal choice potential here by using Affinity products instead of Adobe products. Is it worth it? Time will tell. Maybe.

• iMac 12,2, 16GB RAM, with Mac OS 10.13.6 (17G14033), Wacom Intuos3 9x12
• iPad Pro 12.9" 1st gen & Apple Pencil

http://dysamoria.com