Bernd

layer icons when content moved

Hi,

I'm a bit confused by the layer icons.

Starting with a simple, square jpeg image, I copy/pasted the background 4 times. Then I moved each copy to a different quadrant.
The layer icon shows the bottom right one at the top left, the bottom left one on the top right, and so on. So I have to select the opposite of what I see.

Bug, feature or misunderstanding?

Screen Shot 2018-06-01 at 12.46.08.png

Hi Bernd,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
The thumbnails show/display the objects as isolated elements. So in your example you are seeing the whole texture square represented in that layer's thumbnail exactly as it's selected/displayed on canvas (see the blue bounding box) which happens to have 3/4 invisible because that part is located outside the canvas area.

you are seeing the whole texture square represented in that layer (not it's position relative to the canvas)

Not sure if I understand...

The objects are all background size, and the background covers the whole icon. If they are shown as isolated objects, why do they only cover a quarter of the layer icon?
Why do the four identical objects only cover the opposite corner of the icon?
Any why does the coverage in the icon decrease when I move it further out of the canvas?

17 minutes ago, Bernd said:

Not sure if I understand...

The objects are all background size, and the background covers the whole icon. If they are shown as isolated objects, why do they only cover a quarter of the layer icon?
Why do the four identical objects only cover the opposite corner of the icon?
Any why does the coverage in the icon decrease when I move it further out of the canvas?

In other words, what you see in the thumbnail is an exact representation of that object on the screen (without the other layers and canvas). If part of the object is clipped by the canvas its thumbnail will also reflect this.

What's confusing you is the "black" part of the thumbnail - it's not a representation of the canvas background. It appears "black (actually dark grey)" because that part of the object is invisible (and thus you see the background of the thumbnail itself which when using the Dark interface is a dark grey colour). Do the following: change the interface of the app to Light as you will see what i mean (Affinity Photo Preferences, User Interface section).

Hi MEB,

just read this topic. There might be a problem with updating thumbnails though. When you nest a square to a square and skew the parent square, the child will be skewed, but the thumbnail will not update … :/

Is that a known bug?

Alex :)

Nested.png.50156b687482a270fc5179d5ead25c2d.png

Skewed.png.da1c7493ef41e7582429fcaf09b86584.png

12 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

Hi MEB,

just read this topic. There might be a problem with updating thumbnails though. When you nest a square to a square and skew the parent square, the child will be skewed, but the thumbnail will not update … :/

Is that a known bug?

Alex :)

I will check this with the dev team. Thanks A_B_C.