You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Deactivating all but one Layers

49 minutes ago, DarkClown said:

AH, ALT+Click on the thumbnail does the Job!

ALT+click on the thumbnail and on the layer's name works. ALT+click on the checkboxes does not.

The interesting thing about this method is that it preserves the visibility state of all layers. In other words invisible layers stay invisible after everything is turned on again. This was asked by @TEcHNOpls further above. Not bad :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

1 hour ago, DarkClown said:

The company? :-)

Yep, I'm acquiring companies, lately, but is hard to decide.... ;). I'll acquire Pixar to contract myself.... 

1 hour ago, dominik said:

LT+click on the thumbnail and on the layer's name works. ALT+click on the checkboxes does not.

The interesting thing about this method is that it preserves the visibility state of all layers. In other words invisible layers stay invisible after everything is turned on again. This was asked by @TEcHNOpls further above. Not bad :)

It's very often the case in AP. You don't have the exact workflow but something similar or workable solution. With all I get for the bucks, it's worth it (even more, if, like me, constantly trying other equivalent software trials and open source, you can compare quite well, and see a big number of advantages), for me. I often used this feature of the alt+ click on thumbnail in PS, and ctrl on the thumbnail to get the layer selection, as you can also do in AP. So... cool. 

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

I'm using it constantly on PS ... and was desperately missing it in AP ...
Besides the fact that "workflow" from my perspective is the weakest point in AP in this case it is just about "knowing how to". Once you get used to it it will do the job as ALT-Click+checkbox  does in PS ... So thanks everyone again for helping me out in this case.

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

2 hours ago, DarkClown said:

Besides the fact that "workflow" from my perspective is the weakest point in AP

I think a really smooth workflow is - apart from a well thought out basic concept - the result of many small improvements and iterations. And those take time.
As we all know the 'Affinities' are rather young in this regard. All we can do is keep posting and bring in our ideas.

I'm glad I could contribute to solve your question.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

Alas, I forgot that you have to click the thumbnail v_v (it's a reflex for me now).

As for the workflow, I think the problem is that you can't think about the workflow as a copy of PS. As a non-PS user, I actually don't have these issues like looking for something as it's in PS, just how it is here.

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night, and I work all day..."

35 minutes ago, dominik said:

I think a really smooth workflow is - apart from a well thought out basic concept - the result of many small improvements and iterations. And those take time.
As we all know the 'Affinities' are rather young in this regard. All we can do is keep posting and bring in our ideas.

I'm glad I could contribute to solve your question.

d.

I fully agree with you ... a good workflow is not an easy thing to achieve. On the other hand I've been pointing out workflow topics for 2 years now and they continuously get ignored. Serif focuses far more on new features and new products instead of improving workflow issues. I by now gave up on commenting on all the things that I wish would be running more fluently - and as a result I sadly still find myself working with PS6 instead of using AP.

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2

13 minutes ago, TEcHNOpls said:

As for the workflow, I think the problem is that you can't think about the workflow as a copy of PS. As a non-PS user, I actually don't have these issues like looking for something as it's in PS, just how it is here.

True, and I'm aware of that. Some habits are hard to give up and anything new comes across as a more complicated solution - even though it might not be. And as I mentioned before: Turning of all layers just works differently - but it's not less good than it PS. So I can live it it since this is just about me getting used to a different way to achive the goals. Fair enough. On the other side I see how things work in PS and compare it to AP and it's just so much less workl to achieve the same goals - and at this stage my critic starts ... If AP wants to do things differently that's ok - but in that case they have to be at least as good as existing tools or even better!

15 minutes ago, DarkClown said:

I've been pointing out workflow topics for 2 years now and they continuously get ignored. 

I strongly believe that Serif has been taking note of all of these. It is just a matter of priorities and - as you say - new features seem to sell better :$

OTOH developer @Ben has given proof that the company tries to listen and implement user suggestions (I refer to this thread with quite a lot of videos about upcoming features and talk about it).

Cheers for today!

d.

I belive that this way (alt-clikc to show one layer) is better actually. There is less space for inconsistency or doubt, you see one layer or you see all ative ones. with PS approach it's not that easy, you can have some layers disabled, you can change something on the way, etc.

5 minutes ago, TEcHNOpls said:

I belive that this way (alt-clikc to show one layer) is better actually. There is less space for inconsistency or doubt, you see one layer or you see all ative ones. with PS approach it's not that easy, you can have some layers disabled, you can change something on the way, etc.

The only irritating fact is: the current status of the layers is not correctly stated by the checkboxes (they still indicate that every layer is displayed even though only one layer is shown)
But I consider that as a minor issue ...

If your doing alt-click it's a conscious decision, I think. They are active, you just moved to a single layer view, maybe some visual indication is in place, but not by deselecting layers.