You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Deactivating all but one Layers

It would be really helpful to be able to deactivate alle layers but one with one single click (like in Photoshop with ALT+Click on the remaining layer) ... It's these very simple things that will make AP usable in the end ... one day ...

Cheers, Timo

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

3 hours ago, DarkClown said:

It would be really helpful to be able to deactivate alle layers but one with one single click (like in Photoshop with ALT+Click on the remaining layer) ... It's these very simple things that will make AP usable in the end ... one day ...

Cheers, Timo

Hi Timo,

do I missunderstand your request? You can already ALT+click on a layer in AD and APh and that one remains as the only visible layer.

You also can ALT+SHIFT+click to make selected layers visible.
And ALT+CTRL+click selects layers that are not adjacent to each other.

FYI, I tried it only in the latest betas.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Hmmm, interesting. I use Beta 1.6.5.109 and it does not work for me ... Neither combination with any special keys (ALT/CTRL/SHIFT) does anything else but just change the status of the single layer you click on ... The only thing that works is selecting some layers and than clicking on one of them to check/uncheck visibility for all of them ... By "deactivation" I mean changing the visibility of a layer.

I just cross checked it with the same beta of AD - same effect ...

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2

33 minutes ago, DarkClown said:

Hmmm, interesting. I use Beta 1.6.5.109 and it does not work for me ... Neither combination with any special keys (ALT/CTRL/SHIFT) does anything else but just change the status of the single layer you click on ... The only thing that works is selecting some layers and than clicking on one of them to check/uncheck visibility for all of them ... By "deactivation" I mean changing the visibility of a layer.

I just cross checked it with the same beta of AD - same effect ...

I think I know where I misunderstood your post.

ALT+click 'solos' a layer but does not untick the layer's visibility checkmark. Is that what you were asking for?

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

Precise ... I just want to make only the layer I'm clicking on visible and hide all other layers. This is  quite important so see the effect of a single layer or to show the before/after effect when retouching pictures

On 6/1/2018 at 4:28 PM, DarkClown said:

Precise ... I just want to make only the layer I'm clicking on visible and hide all other layers. This is  quite important so see the effect of a single layer or to show the before/after effect when retouching pictures

OK, then we got this sorted out :)

But ALT+click on a layer does here exactly what you describe: 'I just want to make only the layer I'm clicking on visible and hide all other layers'. Only it does not untick the visibility checkmark.

What does not work is to ALT+click again on the visible layer to return to the state before. I have to click on a different layer.

I wonder what could be the difference between our systems? I am on a laptop using a mouse. Windows 10. Hmmm...:$

d.

I see, sorry … somehow I got confused in the same way as dominik … but even despite your clarifications, which is embarrassing … sorry again … O.o

So I would wholeheartedly support your feature request, for sure … :)

1 hour ago, DarkClown said:

maybe I was unclear or not precise enough in explaining what my issue is ...

I am really interested to hear what your issue is. Especially in regard to what I suggested. Sorry if I still didn't get it completely. What feature is missing?

Thanks,

d.

I want to make all layers invisible except the one I do an "Alt+Click" on ...  and by repeating this I want all layers visible again ...
(This is what PS does already for a long time)

Not sure about the usability of this feature, If I do before-after I go for my bottom/original layer and alt+click it to see how it looked, all other layers are hidden.
How doea this work the other way then, if I alt-click will it 'unhide' all layers, or will it remember the layers that were visible before? If it tracks, what will happen if I do something to the layers that were hidden by alt-click then?

I'm not saying the idea is bad, but I see some potential usability issues.

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night, and I work all day..."

So ALT+Click on the bottom layer (with the original picture) makes every layer but the button layer invisible for you in AP????? Clicking it again makes all other layer visible again?
If that works for you that's all I'm looking for ... but it doesn't work for me - on my system with the latest beta! The ALT key does not change any behavior when clicking any layers on my system ....

13 hours ago, A_B_C said:

Dominik, it is all about the visibility checkboxes. :)

Visibility.png.a07e8f05c2baa3bb4b0311ce90847460.png

Thanks @A_B_C,

the ALT+click does not toggle the checkboxes. That is a difference to the behaviour I get here.

I really wonder why the ALT+click does not work on Timo's system, though :$

d.

1 hour ago, DarkClown said:

Nope ... the ALT key does nothing when clicking on a layer on my system!

Just tested on a spare Windows 7 PC and it works for me

Starting with no layers selected does the 'Alt Gr' key + clicking on the layers do anything for you ?

PS Just noticed you are in Germany, are you using a German keyboard and/or German OS settings

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

see if alt click on the layer thumbnail (not the check box, it does not do that either here), does make invisible all other layers. Just tested in the current trial now (testing AP for painting purposes, so, I  have it now installed).  Then click (no alt key now) in any other layer thumbnail if want to see now all layers visible again, it makes the thing at least...If what you want is go seeing each layer isolated, just go alt-clicking on layer thumbnails.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

10 minutes ago, SrPx said:

see if alt click on the layer thumbnail (not the check box), does make invisible all other layers. Just tested in the current trial now (testing AP for painting purposes, so, I  have it now installed).  Then click (no alt key now) in any other layer if want to see now all layers visible again, it makes the thing at least...If what you want is go seeing each layer isolated, just go alt-clicking on layer thumbnails.

AH, ALT+Click on the thumbnail does the Job! (Even though it's a bit irritating that the checkboxes of the now invisble layers remain checked) - But at least it's what I was missing ...
Thanks!

No problem.  :)B|

I should buy AP.....

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.