You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Working with paths to make a selection.

I was wondering if it is possible to draw more than one path with the pen tool on a curves layer.

for example if your producing cutouts and the object is not completely solid?

When i close the path and then go in to draw a second path, this is then rendered on a separate Layer.

So with a complicated object this will result in multiple layers. is there any way i can get them all on the same layer so when i make the path into a selection it makes life easier?

is there keyboard shortcut I'm missing?

Any help would be great...

Hi Meb,

Thanks for the quick response, seems to do the trick nicely. So a path within a path becomes subtract and a path outside your original path  becomes add?

and if you want to keep the path for later use, group those layers, copy them and convert to selection?

a little long winded but it dose work.

Thank you, ill have play. :)

• Staff

Here's a better way then: create a compound path instead. All the shapes will be kept intact (and editable individually) on the same layer.

To reuse them, duplicate that layer and convert to curves (destructive boolean operation).

Then you can use it as a selection or as a mask pressing the corresponding button on the context toolbar for the Pen tool.

You may have to place the group Operations (customise toolbar) in the toolbar for easy access since you have to press alt and click on the icons to create a compound shape.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks Meb,

Ill have a look tomorrow but that sounds like a great solution, as sometimes i have hundreds of cutouts to do. So anything to speed things up.

i always use the pen tool for cutting out studio shots because its so much more accurate. 

Affinity Photo is looking more and more viable to use as part of my work flow.

Thanks again. :)

• 1 year later...

Hi Meb

How can I simply change a closed curve into a selection and/or mask, resp. add to a already existing selection and/or mask?

Off topic: is it possible to start Affinity Photo permanently in English instead of system language (in my case Swiss-German). It is not possible to follow English menu hints here in forum, if AP is running in German and I do definitely not always want to switch system language to EN, restart AP, switch system language back to SG

Thanks and CU,

Roland

Hi Smudger,

Yes there is. Select all the layers (paths) and go to Layer -> Geometry -> Add. Then you can convert to a selection pressing the button Selection on the context toolbar (Pen tool).

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography
Pipobike Mountainbike Guide and Driving Instructor

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)

• 1 year later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.