You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

First works (colorful video game)

Pawl

Hi Affinity folks,

I just wanted to share my first "programmer art" created with Affinity Designer. I'm a software engineer by trade and have always wanted to be able to draw. Recently heard about AD and have been having a blast the past couple weeks. I find the GUI very intuitive and fun to work with (it even runs on my 2008 MacBook Pro :D).

Currently hoping to make a little 2D game using Unity in my evenings and weekends (we'll see how that goes).

Would love feedback though -- I just finished the airplane, helicopter, and tank but would like to continue iterating on them to be less flat (perhaps with gradients?) and add more detail. (I just realized the quality of the colors isn't great in the uploaded screenshot, oh well).

Thanks for looking. :)

Paul

Screen Shot 2018-05-31 at 9.18.05 PM.png

Hi, Pawl,

Nice! You may not know how to draw, but you have a good sense of design.

There was a post a month or so ago that linked to a presentation about scales of detail in game software images. I can't recall what the topic was. perhaps someone may point to it. My recollection is that there was a broad preference for images that had large, medium & small elements, and that within each, the same preference applied. Accepting that, the finest dotted line you made is perhaps too small. My intuition is that the red lava teas are about as mall as any element should be.

I'm dubious about the gradients. For larger elements, they seem to work well, but for smaller ones, I'd be concerned that it would introduce irritating noise.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

9 minutes ago, gdenby said:

Hi, Pawl,

Nice! You may not know how to draw, but you have a good sense of design.

There was a post a month or so ago that linked to a presentation about scales of detail in game software images. I can't recall what the topic was. perhaps someone may point to it. My recollection is that there was a broad preference for images that had large, medium & small elements, and that within each, the same preference applied. Accepting that, the finest dotted line you made is perhaps too small. My intuition is that the red lava teas are about as mall as any element should be.

I'm dubious about the gradients. For larger elements, they seem to work well, but for smaller ones, I'd be concerned that it would introduce irritating noise.

This is great feedback, thanks @gdenby! I agree the dotted lines are probably too small (fortunately a 30 second fix in AD) and the lava tears are also probably on the small side. I've been exporting parts of the image piecemeal and importing to Unity to see how things look in motion.

The note about using caution with gradients on small objects makes sense too -- I'll have to play around with it and see how it goes.

• Staff

Hi Pawl,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Great start. Thanks for sharing. Please keep us updated as you move forward.
Here's the link to the thread and conference presentation @gdenby was referring to: "The Secret of Making High-Quality Art" - Conference shared by @Mithferion.

• 2 months later...

Hey folks, it's been a while, but I'm still making progress (slowly). I've started to export pieces into Unity and hook up behaviors. Here's the first ever gif (the blue watergun is just for fun). Not really sure what type of game it will be yet, but taking it one step at a time. =)