You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Consistent blur around the edges of a photo

Hello,

I have been wondering and trying to get a constant Blur around the sharp edges of a photo. I found tutorials for Photoshop but I couldn't figure out how to apply that on Affinity Photo. It used to be that the live filter layers could be edited by creating a mask but that worked really bad to not anyway and I am wondering if there is a way to have the outlines of a photo extremely blurred, so that it fades away?
Thanks.

14 hours ago, Talika Fuks said:

Hello,

I have been wondering and trying to get a constant Blur around the sharp edges of a photo. I found tutorials for Photoshop but I couldn't figure out how to apply that on Affinity Photo. It used to be that the live filter layers could be edited by creating a mask but that worked really bad to not anyway and I am wondering if there is a way to have the outlines of a photo extremely blurred, so that it fades away?
Thanks.

If you want it to fade away, like a vignette, what you could do is place a shape over the whole image and mask the image. Right click on the shape and choose (Mask to Below)

mask.jpg.0e476c17f88bd2a3c51665d1d21f5c37.jpg

If you then apply a Gaussian Blur layer effect, that just blurs the edges. Note, you must apply the layer effect to the mask layer only. So make sure you select just that by clicking on the mask layer thumbnail!

gauss.jpg.01fe865f8615ebe34484fc47fbba1d58.jpg

You can adjust the blur by both the Gaussian Blur slider and by dragging the edges of the masking shape.

You can use all sorts of shapes and fades

butt2.jpg.f5017afd85f6959c92e4c158cc683c52.jpg

This was an ellipse.

butt.jpg.20fa8c39bd0d3c76f79d911c9a9907d7.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

22 minutes ago, Fixx said:

It would be nice if there were a feather/blur edge layer effect available.

Maybe (no pleasing some people ;)) but the shape effect does allow more control.

How about a nice butterfly shaped fade ?

butbut.jpg.a6a2fc96f693032e21aa5b6367581c3c.jpg

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

36 minutes ago, Fixx said:

It would be nice if there were a feather/blur edge layer effect available.

Use Select > Outline

Refine the selection to add Feather

Apply Gaussian Blur

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 2 years later...
10 minutes ago, Bynah said:

Thank you, but I don't see that option when I right click on it to, "Right click on the shape and choose (Mask to Below) "

Duplicate the pixel layer and right click on the top layer thumbnail then ...

amaskieren.jpg.bf0ff78daae7f4c58aa141d2bc6c5a7c.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

4 minutes ago, Bynah said:

Sorry, but I don't understand German . . .

It's what you are asked for, so to say as an idicated reply to your "... but I don't see that option when I right click on it to, "Right click on the shape and choose (Mask to Below)".

• "Abwärts maskieren" = Mask to below

When in doubt ask Google translate here, and see what that menu entry shown there possibly means.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Click the mask's thumbnail to select just the mask

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.