You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm using the free trial version of Affinity Photo on Windows 7. Every time I try to open a photo from my files, whether jpg, gif, or png, it displays in a lurid green colour.  How do I get it to appear as it should?  This does not happen with any other programmes - up until now, for example, I've been using Serif PhotoPlus quite happily but thought I'd give Affinity a try.

• Staff

Hi DaveyTee,

Welcome to the forums!

If possible could you provide a screenshot of what you are seeing so I can look into this further for you?

Thanks

Callum

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• Staff

This image is appearing fine for me here. Do you have a colour profile applied to your monitor? Could you also please tell me what graphics card you have in your computer?

Thanks

Callum

Is it possible that the Blue channel is switched off ?

channels.jpg.4b8cc4eece77be549bd0d9af1c632584.jpg

That would export as normal. If so try the Reset.

boat.jpg.8805435599d45ae084aa3ea24878bf57.jpg

Although I don't see why it should be set for every image.

Maybe not but worth a look.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

• Staff

When i turn the blue channel off on his image it doesnt look like the screenshot unfortunately :( Great suggestion though!

I'm afraid I don't really understand what a monitor colour profile is.  I have never applied one and the monitor works perfectly as far as I can see.  It's an LG IPS224 22" LED, connected via HDMI.

My graphics card is an AMD Radeon 6450 1024 Mb.

I had never experienced this green picture thing until I tried Affinity.  I do note that there have been a couple of similar questions to this previously on the forum but neiuther seems to have been resolved.  I wonder if I should just uninstall Affinity and then reinstall it, though I'm worried that that would prevent me continuing with the trial period.

I should perhaps add that if I work on a "green" image (crop it in this case), and then export it from Affinity as a new image and then view it on PhotoPlus, the new image is correctly coloured (although not on Affinity!)

DT

Just as an addition to the above, it seems that everything in my Affinity is coloured in greens and blues.  If I want to use the paintbrush, for example, and try to choose a colour, I am limited to greens and blues (and black). In RGB, 0/0/0 is black, 106/106/106 is blue, and then there are various other hues of blue and green until 255/255/255, which is green.  Trying to convert the picture to black and white merely changes the blue to green but when I export it and view it in PhotoPlus the exported image has indeed been converted to black and white.

DT

Here's something else to look at:

Open one of the images that turns green when Affinity Photo opens it. Make sure the Hand tool is selected, and check the "Context Toolbar" just under the Toolbar. This should give you the size of the image, the color format (e.g., RGB 16), and most importantly the Color Profile that the document is using. What color profile is the document using? If the document is set to anything other than sRGB, Adobe RGB, or possibly ProPhoto or ROMM, you should choose "Assign ICC Profile..." from the Document menu and assign the photo the sRGB profile (for simplicity sake). Does that help anything?

By the way, DON"T choose "Convert ICC Profile" - make sure you choose "ASSIGN ICC Profile" when you do this.

If that was the problem, go the the Affinity Photo Preferences and choose the COLOR tab. Make sure that the RGB Profile (the topmost choice) is set the sRGB or Adobe RGB, because that may be where the problem is/was.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

Many thanks for helping out on this.  Unfortunately, the colour profiles appear to be as they should be, ie sRGB, and the profile on the Document menu is also sRGB.  The assigned ICC profile is sRGB IEC61966-2.1. (which is what is in the Preferences Colour Tab)

DT

Well, as there were no further suggestions here, I uninstalled Affinity and deleted the downloaded exe file.  I then downloaded it again (trial version 1.6.4.104) from the Affinity website using a different browser and installed it on a different hard drive.  As a long time user of Serif products I really did hope that it was going to work this time, but sadly that didn't happen; once again the photos I loaded from my hard drive appeared green.

It therefore appears that Affinity is not for me, or at least for my computer (running Windows 7 64 bit) and I feel that I can do nothing other than delete it again and go back to using PhotoPlus, which is in fact more than adequate for most of what I want to do, although there were some appliocations in Affinity that i did rather covet.  So disappointing, but not the end of the world.

DT

OK, so this is a terrific puzzle. I can recreate the green picture(s) by turning OFF the Red and the Blue channels, allowing only the Green channel to show. But why does this happen to the OP automatically, on every image opened? I can't find a setting in AP that would make this happen, and I doubt that his images are being saved with some uber-weird color profile that, when opened, causes this. But, if I opened a succession of pictures and displayed only the Green channels from those images, I would get the same "lurid green" results.

Below - actual picture on the left; green channel only on the right:

257095432_RGBvsGreenOnly.thumb.jpg.65a868694daaf383d49f900a2ef12dbe.jpg

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

On 6/1/2018 at 8:11 PM, DaveyTee said:

Many thanks for helping out on this.  Unfortunately, the colour profiles appear to be as they should be, ie sRGB, and the profile on the Document menu is also sRGB.  The assigned ICC profile is sRGB IEC61966-2.1. (which is what is in the Preferences Colour Tab)

Did you check the color profile for the monitor, as someone else suggested? You should find it somewhere in your Windows display settings.

Note that many apps won't do anything with that setting, and so it could be set incorrectly without affecting anything except an app (such as Affinity Photo or Designer) that makes use of the profile setting.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks everyone.  In view of what you say I've reinstalled Affinity again.  The problem persists....

Dealinf first with my monitor's colour profile, I have looked at dispaly settings and the only colour profile it appears to have is its default one, LGIPS224, ie the model of the monitor.  There is provision to add or delete profiles, but no others are shown and I don't know enough (anything) about profiles to add something different.

Otherwise it seems clear that I don't have some of the colour channels.  Below I've pasted a couple of screenshots showing the colours that I have to play with on Affinity.  I there any way I can try to add the missing channels?

DT

Capture2.JPG.007fb6f7998e7e7b4c2a4da617ee583a.JPGCapture3.JPG.fa982a69057f48117c6d917b52f6adb6.JPG

It is not channels. I have never seen this issue reported here by anyone else so it is not an Affinity issue, but something in how Affinity is interfacing with Windows, or your copy of Windows.

Out of curiosity, have you tried (or could you try) the Affinity Designer trial.

That would be really interesting.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

A bit old but worth a shot!

RE: LGIPS224

https://superuser.com/questions/505266/lg-ips-224-weird-color-in-some-programs

"I bought a new monitor, the LG IPS 224, and everything seemed fine til I opened the windows picture viewer: everything was green, it was like a green overlay."

"Ok I solved the problem by swapping the cables from my two monitors. The new monitor is now on VGA 2 and the old on VG1 and I changed the default color profile in the control panel, in color management to sRGBIEC61966-2.1 and now everything is ok even in Photoshop and Safari."

------

Although....Plenty of others to choose from I'm afraid.

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/417367-image-in-signature-in-outlook-appearing-highlighter-green

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/57388897

1 hour ago, DaveyTee said:

Dealinf first with my monitor's colour profile, I have looked at dispaly settings and the only colour profile it appears to have is its default one, LGIPS224, ie the model of the monitor.  There is provision to add or delete profiles, but no others are shown and I don't know enough (anything) about profiles to add something different.

When you're in the color management dialog, you might try clicking on the Add button. On my Windows 10 system, that pops up a list of other profiles that I could assign to my monitor, and in that list I see the sRGBIEC6 1966-2.1 one mentioned in the post just above.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, JimmyJack said:

A bit old but worth a shot!

RE: LGIPS224

FWIW, I found an English language owner's manual online from LG for this monitor. It was written with surprisingly poor English for a South Korean multinational company but from what I could glean from it, this monitor supports HDMI, DVI-D, & D-SUB inputs. That means the superuser.com user who solved the problem by swapping the cables must have been using an analog VGA connection to his PC. Hopefully, @DaveyTee is not, since not only is an analog RGB connection less sharp than a digital one, there are several things that can go wrong (like in the DDC/EDID 'handshakes') that can cause weird color issues.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thanks for these further contributions.

As suggested, I downloaded Affinity Design.  Same green problem occurred.  So, as my wife's computer has the same monitor as I do, and runs the same OS, I thought I'd download Affinity onto her machine.  It worked!  However, that didn't really prove very much as although she has the same hardware her settings and software is of course different.  I did note, however, that her monitors colour profile was not the same as mine (it was in fact blank!)

So, better late than never, I took up Walt's suggestion, which followed on from what Jimmy Jack and others had said, and found that if I clicked Add in the colour management screen I did indeed get a list of profiles and sRGBIEC6 1966-2.1 was one of them. So I added that, set it as the default, and Eureka, IT WORKS!

Thanks, everyone, you've been really helpful - without you I would never have solved this.  Now I've just got to decide whether or not i really want to buy Affinity!  Some intensive testing awaits in the relatively short time I have remaining with the trial version.

DT

16 minutes ago, DaveyTee said:

Now I've just got to decide whether or not i really want to buy Affinity!  Some intensive testing awaits in the relatively short time I have remaining with the trial version.

Don’t forget that your purchase will be covered by a 14-day money back guarantee. :)

Returns and Refunds

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)